What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lori Laughlin & Felicity Huffman BUSTED! (1 Viewer)

Wealthy Parents Told to Make Deal or Face More Charges

The end of the article notes that Lori Loughlin has hired Perry Viscounty of Latham & Watkins to represent her.  I'm sure he is a great lawyer (it's been a long time since I've practiced in Los Angeles), but in looking at his background, he graduated from USC for both undergrad and law school.  Not sure how the optics play on that.

Nah. There are 8 billion other people who can worry. I went down the rabbit hole 10 years ago and have come full circle. Some stuff is just out of our control and until the masses wake the F up, nothing is changing soon. 
Right there with you. I loved arguing politics and went toe to toe all the time in here. But in the end, not one person here or on FB ever said, "You know, you're right. I was wrong all along. I'm switching sides and voting ____________ from now on." Once I realized that I was never going to convince anyone of anything, because we were all so entrenched in our perceived reality, I quit. Arguing politics on semi anonymous forums like this and on social media is a complete and utter waste of time. I've got way more important things to do and so do all of you. 

Walking Boot said:
I mean, the federal prosecutor said in the indictments 'we're not talking about donating money to expand the library in order for your kid to get in, that's still legal'. It's the faking of transcripts/grades/test scores that makes it "fraud". If they had just done a direct deal--"here's some money, accept my kid" it'd all be on the up-and-up.
Except it would cost about 10 times the numbers these folks were doling out. You would need to donate a building or a large wing to a large building. $500K doesn't cut it. More like 5 mill or even 10. How is Lori Loughlin, net worth of $8 million, going to swing that?

So instead of greasing the wheels of an entire university and their endowment fund, one simply greases the wheels of some sleazeball "consultant" and some coach, admissions officer and the proctor at a testing center. 

Walking Boot said:
I mean, the federal prosecutor said in the indictments 'we're not talking about donating money to expand the library in order for your kid to get in, that's still legal'. It's the faking of transcripts/grades/test scores that makes it "fraud". If they had just done a direct deal--"here's some money, accept my kid" it'd all be on the up-and-up.
Well yeah I get that.  That was my point

The end of the article notes that Lori Loughlin has hired Perry Viscounty of Latham & Watkins to represent her.  I'm sure he is a great lawyer (it's been a long time since I've practiced in Los Angeles), but in looking at his background, he graduated from USC for both undergrad and law school.  Not sure how the optics play on that.
Hopefully she was smart enough to make sure that he didn't get in the same way her daughters did.

USC is prestigious? :bs:
Sure, why not?

#22 undergraduate program in the country (tied with Berkeley and Georgetown) in the US News and World Report’s Best Colleges ranking. Also #10 For undergrad business and #24 for undergrad engineering.  

USC is a lot more prestigious now than it was back when I was a Southern California kid applying to school.  But it’s less prestigious than it was two weeks ago before this story broke, that’s for sure.

Sure, why not?

#22 undergraduate program in the country (tied with Berkeley and Georgetown) in the US News and World Report’s Best Colleges ranking. Also #10 For undergrad business and #24 for undergrad engineering.  

USC is a lot more prestigious now than it was back when I was a Southern California kid applying to school.  But it’s less prestigious than it was two weeks ago before this story broke, that’s for sure.
For all we know, USC bribed US News and World Report to get that high of a ranking.

Wow..Huffman looks haggard.

With all this money being "donated", I think stars should just open their own school.  Only accept relatives of famous people.  And just hand out Doctorates after 4 years.  I mean the kids aren't going to school to learn anyway.  Probably be cheaper just to buy your own school.  

With all this money being "donated", I think stars should just open their own school.  Only accept relatives of famous people.  And just hand out Doctorates after 4 years.  I mean the kids aren't going to school to learn anyway.  Probably be cheaper just to buy your own school.  
I don’t remember exactly but I want to say Stanford was started when some rich dude was trying to donate to Harvard or something and got offended.

eta: a quick google search suggest this old wive’s tale is total BS. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Donating 70 Million and then having your kid accepted is the "legal" way to bribe your kid into school, I guess.
I have no problem with that :lol:    But don't act like she earned it :lmao:

Possibly she got great grades etc sure but :lol:   

She could have had great grades and a perfect SAT, but now everyone will assume she did not get in on her own merits anyway. Maybe applications should be blinded so no one else is unfairly judged to have bought their way in.

She could have had great grades and a perfect SAT, but now everyone will assume she did not get in on her own merits anyway. Maybe applications should be blinded so no one else is unfairly judged to have bought their way in.
or dont go on social media bragging about it

Tax evasion may be the most significant charge they see here.  

70M obviously did, and should, get you a slot in a private school like this.  That's a huge lever arm that can be put to use helping vast numbers of students.  Not sure why this is controversial.

Tax evasion may be the most significant charge they see here.  

70M obviously did, and should, get you a slot in a private school like this.  That's a huge lever arm that can be put to use helping vast numbers of students.  Not sure why this is controversial.
I didn’t say her admission was controversial. I simply suggested that bragging about your kid getting in on her own merits when you made a $70 million donation is going to backfire on you from a publicity perspective. 

I haven't been following this thread that closely, so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I love that her daughter is now saying her mom ruined her life with this scandal.  

:lmao:

i guess it ends up signing autographs after a court hearing makes prosecutors mad who could have guessed it take that to the bank bromigos 

Been listening to the Gangster Capitalism podcast which is covering the admissions scandals.  Pretty interesting hearing the transcripts from the wiretapped phone calls.  Once Singer got busted, he basically called a bunch of the parents and recorded the conversations, getting them to admit/acknowledge the scheme.  The latest episode also makes a point of how the elite schools are becoming a student body of rich kids and poor kids, to the detriment of qualified middle class applicants.  Essentially, the elite schools either want kids of billionaire hedge fund managers, or kids of poor immigrants working as janitors so their children can be the first in their families to attend college.

Podcast:  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/gangster-capitalism/id1460320573

bigbottom said:
Been listening to the Gangster Capitalism podcast which is covering the admissions scandals.  Pretty interesting hearing the transcripts from the wiretapped phone calls.  Once Singer got busted, he basically called a bunch of the parents and recorded the conversations, getting them to admit/acknowledge the scheme.  The latest episode also makes a point of how the elite schools are becoming a student body of rich kids and poor kids, to the detriment of qualified middle class applicants.  Essentially, the elite schools either want kids of billionaire hedge fund managers, or kids of poor immigrants working as janitors so their children can be the first in their families to attend college.
Yeah, note to self: if I ever do a criminal conspiracy and my co-conspirator calls me out of nowhere and starts saying things like, "Remember all those crimes we did, that you were fully aware of and actively participated in?", just hang up the phone right away.

Yeah, note to self: if I ever do a criminal conspiracy and my co-conspirator calls me out of nowhere and starts saying things like, "Remember all those crimes we did, that you were fully aware of and actively participated in?", just hang up the phone right away.
You mean those things you tricked me into?

It was actually that bad, if not worse. He basically told them that the charity was undergoing an IRS audit and he wanted to be sure that they were on the same page with respect to their $___________ payment to [bribe the coach, pay off the test proctor so they could cheat on the ACT, etc.]. He told them that they would tell the IRS that these payments were instead donations to charity to help underprivileged kids get into college and got them to agree. All on tape. 

Another interesting aspect is that a number of the parents who made payments to have their kids tests corrected or taken by someone else went to great lengths to hide the scheme from their kids. So the test would be corrected or taken by someone else without the kids’ knowledge and they would actually believe that they knocked down a 35 on the ACT or a 1520 on the SAT. 

Another interesting aspect is that a number of the parents who made payments to have their kids tests corrected or taken by someone else went to great lengths to hide the scheme from their kids. So the test would be corrected or taken by someone else without the kids’ knowledge and they would actually believe that they knocked down a 35 on the ACT or a 1520 on the SAT. 
That makes it worse, sets the kid up for failure when they can't correct their own mistakes.

They want their kids to achieve their dreams without having to achieve them while believing that they have achieved them. 
This is kind of the peak of the mountain known as "Mt. Everyone Gets a Trophy."  Kids today have no idea how to handle rejection or failure.  And they are continually told they can be anything they want or achieve anything they put their minds to.  

The world is filled with 20 year old kids who think they deserve to have whatever they want, don't understand why they can't succeed in life, and have no idea how to deal with the failure when it all comes crashing down.  I honestly believe it's one of the reasons the suicide rate in young people is rising.  

bigbottom said:

Podcast:  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/gangster-capitalism/id1460320573
I'll give it a listen, but its funny/not funny b/c many people brought this up and the narrative we were handed when it all went down is that 'your white and middle class, you'll get into college regardless, you know because of white privilege." I'm interested on hearing their perspective on it.

I'll give it a listen, but its funny/not funny b/c many people brought this up and the narrative we were handed when it all went down is that 'your white and middle class, you'll get into college regardless, you know because of white privilege." I'm interested on hearing their perspective on it.
It’s pretty straightforward. Schools are starting to report data on percentages of their incoming classes that are the first generation college students. There is a focus on admitting students from these backgrounds. There is also a focus on admitting kids of the uber-rich who are or will be mega-donors. 

So we have a two party system in this country that ignores the middle class, and now the university system in this country is ignoring the middle class too. According to history, that does not bode well for this country. But hey, good thing we're FBG's, right? We don't have to worry about this. I'm off to go buy another AMG Mercedes. 

So we have a two party system in this country that ignores the middle class, and now the university system in this country is ignoring the middle class too. According to history, that does not bode well for this country. But hey, good thing we're FBG's, right? We don't have to worry about this. I'm off to go buy another AMG Mercedes. 
Yeah, I think this applies more to the super elite schools than anything (at least that was the context of the podcast discussion I believe).

Yeah, I think this applies more to the super elite schools than anything (at least that was the context of the podcast discussion I believe).
But that pushes down the to the semi elites, that the qualified kids settle for, and then the guys that qualify for the semi elite, settle for above average. The guys who are good enough for above average go to average schools and so on. 

Maybe all of this will spark a push to the trade schools. We need more qualified people there than people racking up debt to get degrees in philosophy or psychology. 

The latest episode also discusses the completely legal "back door" for college admissions - the development department.  It features an anonymous interview with a former development person at University of North Carolina discussing donations to the school and how different monetary levels impact admissions decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread