What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lots of unknown assistants being names HCs (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
In the past the top candidates for NFL jobs were either recycled HCs or NCAA HCs. Offensive and Defensive Coordinators have been being named 1st time HCs more and more and this year even positional coaches have been getting HC positions.Just look at these hires so far this year:Mangini- most experience was as a positional coach, 1 year as DC, 1st HC jobKubiak- long run as OC, 1st HC jobEdwards- recycled HCMarinelli- positional coach, 1st HC jobMcCarthy- positional coach, OC, 1st HC jobChildress- OC, 1st HC jobPayton- OC, 1st HC jobLinehan- OC, 1st HC jobonly 1 recycled HC job with 2 more positions open (BUF & OAK)What's with the change in hiring philosophy of the former old boy network of the NFL?

I was thinking the same thing. The thing that still surprises me is promoting a positional coach to head coach. Just seems like too big of a leap to me.Behavioral psychology dictates that you must change the mindset of a losing organization before it can be made a winner. Bringing in a new coach, instead of recycling an old one, makes perfect sense within this philosophy.

Last year had 2:Nolan- ravens DCCrennel - Pats DC Other current (or recently let go) coaches that went from assistant to HC in their current jobs, off the top of my head:MularkeyCowherMartzDel RioLewisTiceFoxLovie Smith

How many recycled HCs have taken their new team to the SB?
That depends on what you mean by recycled HC. Bellicheck used to be a HC in Cleveland, but went back to being DC, so would he count? If so, there is one. Vermeil would be another in SL, Parcells in NE, Gruden in TB, Dan Reeves in ATL. That is about as far back as my memory goes but that seems to be quite a few in recent history (albeit big names).

That depends on what you mean by recycled HC. Bellicheck used to be a HC in Cleveland, but went back to being DC, so would he count? If so, there is one. Vermeil would be another in SL, Parcells in NE, Gruden in TB, Dan Reeves in ATL. That is about as far back as my memory goes but that seems to be quite a few in recent history (albeit big names).
Belicheck is the only one that should count as recycled (left previous job because of lack of success). the rest of the guys were coaches teams would line to have at the time they took over their new team.

Belicheck is the only one that should count as recycled (left previous job because of lack of success). the rest of the guys were coaches teams would line to have at the time they took over their new team.
No question about it. But they do all fit the criteria.

I was thinking the same thing.

The thing that still surprises me is promoting a positional coach to head coach. Just seems like too big of a leap to me.

Behavioral psychology dictates that you must change the mindset of a losing organization before it can be made a winner. Bringing in a new coach, instead of recycling an old one, makes perfect sense within this philosophy.
This makes sense to me. Gotta have some sack and go against the grain every now and again.

The thing that still surprises me is promoting a positional coach to head coach. Just seems like too big of a leap to me.

Behavioral psychology dictates that you must change the mindset of a losing organization before it can be made a winner. Bringing in a new coach, instead of recycling an old one, makes perfect sense within this philosophy.
Only positional coach to HC I can think of in recent times [i.e., the last 10 years] was Andy Reid [QB Coach to HC in Philly] and that worked out well. :shrug:

Yep, BB counts. Here's my list so far:Bill Belichick

**** Vermeil

Bill Parcells

Jon Gruden

Dan Reeves

Mike Shanahan

Don Shula

George Allen

One of the radio personalities down here said that this was because of the GM's not wanting strong coaches to push them out. Not sure if this is true, but it does make sense.

The minority coaching effort has netted nothing so far. I would expect that to be an issue that gets quite a bit of airtime in the near future.

The majority of these guys are all from the same lineage. Everyone wants a chance to have someone coach their team that is from the Parcell's or Holmgren lineage. Most of the teams in the NFL have a guy from one of those two lines of coaches.

The thing that still surprises me is promoting a positional coach to head coach.  Just seems like too big of a leap to me.

Behavioral psychology dictates that you must change the mindset of a losing organization before it can be made a winner.  Bringing in a new coach, instead of recycling an old one, makes perfect sense within this philosophy.
Only positional coach to HC I can think of in recent times [i.e., the last 10 years] was Andy Reid [QB Coach to HC in Philly] and that worked out well. :shrug:
I was going to say the same thing, although as I understand it, Reid did have a decent amount of input on game planning in GB even though Holmgren was his own OC, so I think he was more than just a normal positional coach.

The majority of these guys are all from the same lineage. Everyone wants a chance to have someone coach their team that is from the Parcell's or Holmgren lineage. Most of the teams in the NFL have a guy from one of those two lines of coaches.
Isn't the Holmgren lineage actually the Bill Walsh lineage?

Better question:How many recycled Head Coaches have taken their new team to the Super Bowl WITHOUT first having done it with their previous team(s)?

If you recycled Head Coaches who have NEVER been to the Super Bowl before joining another team, then you will see why it's almost futile to hire a retread.

The minority coaching effort has netted nothing so far. I would expect that to be an issue that gets quite a bit of airtime in the near future.
Nevermind actually hiring any minority coaches...Which ones are even INTERVIEWED? I haven't really heard anyone...

Better question:How many recycled Head Coaches have taken their new team to the Super Bowl WITHOUT first having done it with their previous team(s)?

If you recycled Head Coaches who have NEVER been to the Super Bowl before joining another team, then you will see why it's almost futile to hire a retread.
Here was my original list:Bill Belichick

**** Vermeil

Bill Parcells

Jon Gruden

Dan Reeves

Mike Shanahan

Don Shula

George Allen

Your question would result in:

Belichick

Gruden

Shanahan

Allen

Please. Lovie won the coach of the year, they are hiring based on the talent of assitant coaches not by color of skin.

Nevermind actually hiring any minority coaches...Which ones are even INTERVIEWED? I haven't really heard anyone...
Lions interviewed Mike Singletary. Millen didn't want to get slapped with another fine.

Who is out there? I like Mike Singletary but retreads like Ray Rhodes have already proved he can't be successful. The NFL is hiring by talent and not judging by skin color. The point is proven by Herm Edwards. With the lack of success he has had and if it was 1994 no way would he just lateral over to KC.

The thing that still surprises me is promoting a positional coach to head coach.  Just seems like too big of a leap to me.

Behavioral psychology dictates that you must change the mindset of a losing organization before it can be made a winner.  Bringing in a new coach, instead of recycling an old one, makes perfect sense within this philosophy.
I was going to say the same thing, although as I understand it, Reid did have a decent amount of input on game planning in GB even though Holmgren was his own OC, so I think he was more than just a normal positional coach.
Mike Tice was the O-Line coach before being named head coach.

Please. Lovie won the coach of the year, they are hiring based on the talent of assitant coaches not by color of skin.
Thanks for the insight, but what does that change about my statement?

There just arn't any talented minority coached at the moment. Like I said I like Singletary but he probably isn't ready yet. Rather than playing the race care lets just except what is truely going on... and that is that if a coach has talent he will be hired and it won't be because of skin color.

There just arn't any talented minority coached at the moment. Like I said I like Singletary but he probably isn't ready yet. Rather than playing the race care lets just except what is truely going on... and that is that if a coach has talent he will be hired and it won't be because of skin color.
Unless you are sitting in on interviews, none of us know who is and isn't qualified for anything. I'm not playing any card, rather pointing out that this is going to be an issue that garners a lot of attention. I have no way of knowing if there is discrimination involved, but I will acknowledge the numbers don't look good. With all these jobs open at once, I would've thought at least one net minority hire would have resulted. That will not be the case unless Buf or Oak make such a choice, which they could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread