What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Louisville(Cantwell) vs Kansas State(Freeman) (1 Viewer)

TitusIII

Footballguy
TONIGHT ESPN2 - 7pm CT

Time to put in some quality scouting tine on the couch for next years rookie drafts! Early prediction: Freeman goes #1 overall(hopefully to the Bears, who traded up from pick #32, of course!).

Josh Freeman(6-6, 245lbs, JR) and Hunter Cantwell(6-4, 235, SR*) have prototypical arm strength/accuracy and size that NFL GM's drool over. Both fly under the national radar, so check them out while you can, as they may not be on television again till their respective .com bowls. From what I've seen of Freeman, he is limted by his supporting cast, but has everything an NFL franchise would want in a QB prospect. I haven't been able to watch Cantwell much(outside of the time Brohm was injured), but most reports from summer camps came back glowing, and he clearly has some tools a coach can't teach.

Preview: http://louisville.scout.com/2/791191.html

Josh Freeman scouting report

Mug-Shot

Hunter Cantwell scouting report

Cantwell's Mug

Enjoy the game! It should be fairly entertaining...

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, Cantwell was embarrassingly bad against Kentucky two weeks ago.
Oh I dont know if Id go that far. He was facing a very tough Kentucky defense. Cantwell was under pressure all day, and at least he did display that arm strength at times, and he definitely played with courage and hung in, taking the hit to try to make the play. It's not like he has a great supporting cast. Even that performance showed me he's at least draftable.

Oh I dont know if Id go that far. He was facing a very tough Kentucky defense. Cantwell was under pressure all day, and at least he did display that arm strength at times, and he definitely played with courage and hung in, taking the hit to try to make the play. It's not like he has a great supporting cast. Even that performance showed me he's at least draftable.
Kentucky has a good defense? I thought he was holding onto the ball too long more often than not, looking uncomfortable in the pocket, and not trusting his reads. Then again, I stopped watching after 325 lb. Myron Pryor rumbled for a Kentucky TD (that was enough for me) so he may have done some things well later in the game that I simply missed.Draftable? Yes. He has the tools, but I think he'll need to show a lot more to live up to the OP's predicition of 1st round QB. A lot more. I don't compile any rankings until February but he's a mid day 2 selection at best in my book right now.

Kentucky has a good defense? I thought he was holding onto the ball too long more often than not, looking uncomfortable in the pocket, and not trusting his reads. Then again, I stopped watching after 325 lb. Myron Pryor rumbled for a Kentucky TD (that was enough for me) so he may have done some things well later in the game that I simply missed.Draftable? Yes. He has the tools, but I think he'll need to show a lot more to live up to the OP's predicition of 1st round QB. A lot more. I don't compile any rankings until February but he's a mid day 2 selection at best in my book right now.
Id agree with that. Kentucky has Pryor and Jeremy Jarmon anchoring that line. Trevard Lindley is a top corner, and I also like what Ive seen from LB Micah Johnson. As a unit the D was very aggressive and seems to be very cohesive. Im looking forward to seeing Tebow and Stafford play against them - I think we'll be able to say something more definitive about Cantwell's performance after those games. If Tebow and Stafford shred em, I'll admit I was giving Cantwell too much of a pass by chalking the game up more to the excellent play by the UK D than poor play on his part.

Sigmund Bloom said:
MAC_32 said:
Sigmund Bloom said:
MAC_32 said:
Id agree with that. Kentucky has Pryor and Jeremy Jarmon anchoring that line. Trevard Lindley is a top corner, and I also like what Ive seen from LB Micah Johnson. As a unit the D was very aggressive and seems to be very cohesive. Im looking forward to seeing Tebow and Stafford play against them - I think we'll be able to say something more definitive about Cantwell's performance after those games. If Tebow and Stafford shred em, I'll admit I was giving Cantwell too much of a pass by chalking the game up more to the excellent play by the UK D than poor play on his part.
Micah Johnson? Hmm, I'll have to pay more attention to him next time I watch KY. I'm very familiar with the big uglies up front (Jarmon and Pryor) and Lindley (although I think he's a bit over rated) but don't know anything about Johnson. Thanks for the tip! :)

Keep in mind Louisville lost both of his starting wr's from last year to the NFL draft...and the top 2 returning wr's were both hurt in the Kentucky game and a 3rd dismissed from the team preseason....The jury is definitely still out on him and he did look bad especially at the end of the game when he was self admittedly pressing.

I'm not sure where anyone got that Freeman is accurate. I don't have any stats, just seen him play a handful of times. Everytime he was far from accurate and was always good for a bonehead interception or two. He will not be a sucessful NFL quarterback. If he goes #1 (hell, even top 10) that means he is going to a team that needs a QB BAD. If that is the case, said franchise is going to waste that pick. Just my opinion. Freeman is ranked the #7 QB in the Big 12 for goodness sake.

Keep in mind Louisville lost both of his starting wr's from last year to the NFL draft...and the top 2 returning wr's were both hurt in the Kentucky game and a 3rd dismissed from the team preseason....The jury is definitely still out on him and he did look bad especially at the end of the game when he was self admittedly pressing.
;) Cantwell has a lot going against him that is not his fault. Along with the loss of the WRs, their OL is very down this year. He is not getting the same protection that Brohm got back there. With Cantwell only having one year as a full time starter, I could see him having a lot more success as an NFL starter than he will have this year at UofL. I do agree with the earlier prediction about his draft value, but if he goes to a team where the starter is on the decline (Rams for example) he could have a chance to impress quickly.

I'm not sure where anyone got that Freeman is accurate. I don't have any stats, just seen him play a handful of times. Everytime he was far from accurate and was always good for a bonehead interception or two. He will not be a sucessful NFL quarterback. If he goes #1 (hell, even top 10) that means he is going to a team that needs a QB BAD. If that is the case, said franchise is going to waste that pick. Just my opinion. Freeman is ranked the #7 QB in the Big 12 for goodness sake.
From 2007@ Auburn 32/57 268/0/2@ Texas 22/38 177/1/0v. Kansas 31/48 305/1/3v. Missouri 26/41 256/2/1Accuracy seems good against his best competition, but 4 TD's and 6 INT's are notI look forward to watching him this year, I paid more attention to Jordy Nelson than Freeman in the K St games I watched last year, my notes on Freeman are brief and concise to this point - inconsistent with potential (read, tools). I watched the games against Texas, Kansas, and Ok St.

keep in mind that one of the major factors working against cantwell is that he plays for steve kragthorpe. :confused:

i will be at the game tonight though; hopefully it will be a good one.

This post is oozing with blasphemy. Freeman has progressed, which happens from time to time, and that progression will be on display tonight. Anybody that believes that Freeman is the 7th best QB in the big 12 is either out of touch with reality, or out of touch with the big 12.

Freeman is extremely impressive, very confident/comfortable in the pocket. If there is a better pro-prospect at QB in college football, that player had better be pretty damn good. I'd be pretty shocked if he isn't taken in the first half of the first round come April.

As for Cantwell, just not seeing it...has some talent, but doesn't look very comfortable with the ball in his hands.

THAT is the Hunter Cantwell all of us Louisville fans were hoping to see this year. Much more impressive than the Kentucky game. If it hadnt been for some spotty Wr play his numbers would have been even better.

I'm not sure where anyone got that Freeman is accurate.
From 2007@ Auburn 32/57 268/0/2@ Texas 22/38 177/1/0v. Kansas 31/48 305/1/3v. Missouri 26/41 256/2/1Accuracy seems good against his best competition, but 4 TD's and 6 INT's are not
You need to look at more than numbers. Besides, those numbers don't even look good. Especially when you consider how much KState throws in the flats and short slants. More INTs than TDs??
He will not be a sucessful NFL quarterback. If he goes #1 (hell, even top 10) that means he is going to a team that needs a QB BAD. If that is the case, said franchise is going to waste that pick. Just my opinion. Freeman is ranked the #7 QB in the Big 12 for goodness sake.
This post is oozing with blasphemy. Freeman has progressed, which happens from time to time, and that progression will be on display tonight. Anybody that believes that Freeman is the 7th best QB in the big 12 is either out of touch with reality, or out of touch with the big 12.
Did you like what you saw last night? Strong arm, but no touch. Fumble lost, one really bad INT, and one INT that was caused by an innaccurate rocket throw that got tipped up in the air. I will grant you that it is difficult to compare, because KState stinks pretty bad, but I would honestly take all of the following QBs over Freeman: Daniel, Harrell, McCoy, Reesing, Bradford. Ok I guess that makes him 6th.

Cantwell was better than the KY game and better than Freeman in this one. a lot better. Freeman looked a lot like the same guy I sort of watched last year, has the tools but incredibly inconsistent. Looks like a major project at best in the NFL, I don't think he's draftable at this time. Cantwell made me feel a bit better about him but he's still just a day two prospect. Still looks uncomfortable in the pocket, holds onto the ball too long, and doesn't appear to trust his reads but a lot of that could have to do with the surrounding talent.

I'm not sure where anyone got that Freeman is accurate.
From 2007@ Auburn 32/57 268/0/2@ Texas 22/38 177/1/0v. Kansas 31/48 305/1/3v. Missouri 26/41 256/2/1Accuracy seems good against his best competition, but 4 TD's and 6 INT's are not
You need to look at more than numbers. Besides, those numbers don't even look good. Especially when you consider how much KState throws in the flats and short slants. More INTs than TDs??
He will not be a sucessful NFL quarterback. If he goes #1 (hell, even top 10) that means he is going to a team that needs a QB BAD. If that is the case, said franchise is going to waste that pick. Just my opinion. Freeman is ranked the #7 QB in the Big 12 for goodness sake.
Did you like what you saw last night? Strong arm, but no touch. Fumble lost, one really bad INT, and one INT that was caused by an innaccurate rocket throw that got tipped up in the air. I will grant you that it is difficult to compare, because KState stinks pretty bad, but I would honestly take all of the following QBs over Freeman: Daniel, Harrell, McCoy, Reesing, Bradford. Ok I guess that makes him 6th.
Add in Zac Robinson and that pushes Freeman to 7th

Users who are viewing this thread