What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M Lattimore, RB, SC (2 Viewers)

Really hoping this kid falls to me at the 8 pick in my rookie draft...but with this kinda hype I doubt he does.
I was thinking the same thing with the 1.08.
Well, either him or the top TE (based on situation). Now I'm thinking I'll need to move up to somewhere in the 4-6 range!Seriously, how many RBs will do a workout where all 32 teams attend?! I've never heard of that!
I figured I was out of the running at 2.01, but no way I would buy him at 1.04. I have good RB depth so now I'm wondering if I should go at 1.04 and stash him.
This is getting weird. I have the 1.4, 1.8 and 2.1. I was thinking I would go 1.8 before this positive news. But man, 1.04?First three pics are going to be Lacy and probably two WR's (PPR league), but could you take him over a Montee Ball if he signed with GB, or a LeVeon Bell who signs with Pitt? So if you go with Ball or Bell at 1.4, I doubt Lattimore is there at 1.8. I think I might've just lost out on this guy despite so many high picks...

Really hoping this kid falls to me at the 8 pick in my rookie draft...but with this kinda hype I doubt he does.
Well, either him or the top TE (based on situation). Now I'm thinking I'll need to move up to somewhere in the 4-6 range!Seriously, how many RBs will do a workout where all 32 teams attend?! I've never heard of that!
I figured I was out of the running at 2.01, but no way I would buy him at 1.04. I have good RB depth so now I'm wondering if I should go at 1.04 and stash him.
This is getting weird. I have the 1.4, 1.8 and 2.1. I was thinking I would go 1.8 before this positive news. But man, 1.04?First three pics are going to be Lacy and probably two WR's (PPR league), but could you take him over a Montee Ball if he signed with GB, or a LeVeon Bell who signs with Pitt? So if you go with Ball or Bell at 1.4, I doubt Lattimore is there at 1.8. I think I might've just lost out on this guy despite so many high picks...
Assuming the news out leads to a high NFL draft slot for him, when he goes in FF probably depends on RB depth of teams. I have Martin, Charles and Morris, so I could reach for him if I think he might not payoff vs Bell et al for 1-2 years.

Assuming the news out leads to a high NFL draft slot for him, when he goes in FF probably depends on RB depth of teams. I have Martin, Charles and Morris, so I could reach for him if I think he might not payoff vs Bell et al for 1-2 years.
I wish I had that depth. I have so many picks (plus the 1.1) because I'm rebuilding, so Lacy at 1, but I can't pass on a guy drafted to a solid situation for a guy that might take at least a year to produce... Now if I could get Lacy and say Bell or Ball and then get Lattimore at 1.8, I'd be good with that. But I don't think I can take him at 4.

What happens if he drafted by the 49ers/Falcons and let sit for a year or two behind Gore/SJax? 1.4 is way too high considering that's likely going to be the #2 WR in the draft. The big issue I have with Lattimore is that I never saw him as a potential top 10 pick like I did with McGahee. I thought he was a 1st round pick, but not a super elite RB even if he'd never torn a knee ligament.

South Carolina's rehabbing star Lattimore gets cheers from NFL scouts

CBSSports.com wire reports

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Marcus Lattimore stood silently in front of the mesh, ladder-style workout mat in South Carolina's weight room, ready to show the NFL how far he's come since his horrific knee injury five months ago.

"I was a little nervous," the ex-Gamecocks running back said. "But excited, too, that I could do this."

Lattimore did a series of exercises designed to demonstrate the progress of his surgically repaired knee. He dislocated the knee and tore several ligaments against Tennessee at Williams-Brice Stadium last October.

He did step-ups, box jumps, deep-knee bends, forward and backward lunges and one-legged balancing drills while holding weights for a group that included Marvin Lewis of the Cincinnati Bengals, the only head coach at the workouts.

Lattimore received a loud cheer from former teammates and coaches, and evaluators from the 31 NFL teams attending Wednesday's workouts.

Later on, Lattimore caught passes with running backs and receivers -- although he walked out to a designated spot to catch the simple throws from former South Carolina passers Syvelle Newton and Seth Strickland.

He hopes he answered enough questions to gain a spot in next month's NFL draft.

"They've seen me move a little bit. They've seen me use my feet, use my knee," he said. "My knee's fine. I think everything's going to be all right."

It didn't look that way five months ago. Lattimore had returned from a left-knee injury during his sophomore season and was among the Southeastern Conference's top rushers heading into the game with the Vols.

But Lattimore's season ended in the second quarter when he was tackled at the end of a run. His right leg flopped over like a rag doll's limb and trainers had to keep pushing Lattimore's head down and chest back down to keep him from seeing the damage.

Players from Tennessee joined South Carolina teammates in wishing Lattimore well before he was driven off the field in shock. He was considered a first-round NFL draft pick prior to the injury. Lattimore's given up worrying about where or if he'll go in the draft.

"I'm not even going to watch," he said. "I'm just going to wait for my phone call" from an NFL team.

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier thought Lattimore's workout was remarkable given how badly damaged the knee was. In Spurrier's eyes, it put Lattimore back in the running to hear his name called early by an NFL team.

"You'd think he's 100 percent," Spurrier said. "He was very impressive."

Lattimore was happy with his limited workout - although he pushed his doctors and agent to do more. "It just wasn't smart," Lattimore said.

Lattimore was among 18 former Gamecocks working out for NFL teams. Early entry receiver Ace Sanders, the Outback Bowl MVP who gave up his senior season, thought he improved on his NFL combine 40-yard dash time of 4.53 seconds and wowed scouts by field a punt while holding three footballs.

"I'd never done that before," Sanders said.

Sanders said Lattimore's path back to working out at all was the biggest feat of the day.

"Oh, my gosh, you thought it was over," Sanders said of his ex-teammate. "What he's done shows the kind of person he is."

Lattimore was eager to lead his teammates even if he couldn't run full-speed. He was constantly clapping and encouraging, shouting "Good job, D.L." after receiver D.L. Moore ran a deep pattern during drills.

Lattimore knows he's got more work to do. He won't hold a personal pro day as he planned back in January instead letting his meetings with teams at the NFL combine and here, along with progress reports from his surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, make his case.

He has met with Philadelphia and has individual interviews set up with New England and St. Louis. He has a sponsorship agreement with EAS Nutrition that both sides hope can become a long-term arrangement.

Lattimore is confident he can play in the NFL this year. He'll have his knee examined by NFL personnel in Indianapolis on April 5-6, then wait for the draft.

"Once I get on a team, I'll prove myself and prove that I'm a complete back," Lattimore said. "I'll be in full health so I'll be good to go."

Marcus Lattimore given ovation after pro-day workout

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Marcus Lattimore's pro day wasn't just a normal pro day. It was a celebration.

The South Carolina running back was able to work out Wednesday, less than six months after he had surgery to repair a devastating anterior cruciate, lateral collateral and posterior cruciate ligament injury. All 32 NFL teams were in attendance. They burst out in applause after Lattimore was done, according to USA Today's Robert Klemko.

"It was crazy," Lattimore said. "I did not expect that at all. Pretty much every scout came up to me and said that was amazing and inspiring."

Lattimore caught passes and did some agility drills, but he still has a long way to go before he's fully healthy. Still, there is some optimism he could play in 2013. Lattimore told The State he had "no doubt" that he will play in the first half of the 2013, which jibes with what he told NFL.com's Jeff Darlington last month.

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said Lattimore "may have jumped into the first round" with his performance Wednesday. We wouldn't go that far, but there's no question that Lattimore would have been this draft class' top running back before his injury. Teams might be willing to take a risk on Lattimore's injury because of that immense talent, like the Buffalo Bills once did with Willis McGahee, selecting him 23rd overall in the 2003 NFL Draft.

Don't be too surprised if Lattimore goes higher than draftniks project. Just like McGahee.

"I want to be an inspiration," Lattimore said. "To let people know that with hard work, and when you trust in God, you can come back from anything and do anything."

package 1.8 and 2.1 to move up.

Was listening to nfl radio on the way home from work, and one of the hosts said he talked to a scout who was at the pro day. He said Lattimore is a long way away. Implied he won't get drafted at all.

Marcus Lattimore given ovation after pro-day workout

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Marcus Lattimore's pro day wasn't just a normal pro day. It was a celebration.

The South Carolina running back was able to work out Wednesday, less than six months after he had surgery to repair a devastating anterior cruciate, lateral collateral and posterior cruciate ligament injury. All 32 NFL teams were in attendance. They burst out in applause after Lattimore was done, according to USA Today's Robert Klemko.

"It was crazy," Lattimore said. "I did not expect that at all. Pretty much every scout came up to me and said that was amazing and inspiring."

Lattimore caught passes and did some agility drills, but he still has a long way to go before he's fully healthy. Still, there is some optimism he could play in 2013. Lattimore told The State he had "no doubt" that he will play in the first half of the 2013, which jibes with what he told NFL.com's Jeff Darlington last month.

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said Lattimore "may have jumped into the first round" with his performance Wednesday. We wouldn't go that far, but there's no question that Lattimore would have been this draft class' top running back before his injury. Teams might be willing to take a risk on Lattimore's injury because of that immense talent, like the Buffalo Bills once did with Willis McGahee, selecting him 23rd overall in the 2003 NFL Draft.

Don't be too surprised if Lattimore goes higher than draftniks project. Just like McGahee.

"I want to be an inspiration," Lattimore said. "To let people know that with hard work, and when you trust in God, you can come back from anything and do anything."
would be totally evil if this was a smoke screen by the scouts

Was listening to nfl radio on the way home from work, and one of the hosts said he talked to a scout who was at the pro day. He said Lattimore is a long way away. Implied he won't get drafted at all.
Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline

Can confirm; Marcus Lattimore/RB/SC will do 15-20 min workout of rehab drills (ladder drills/etc) to show strength & ability to move on knee
That's what I thought when I read this. It's great that he's able to work out but he has a very long way to go.

What happens if he drafted by the 49ers/Falcons and let sit for a year or two behind Gore/SJax? 1.4 is way too high considering that's likely going to be the #2 WR in the draft. The big issue I have with Lattimore is that I never saw him as a potential top 10 pick like I did with McGahee. I thought he was a 1st round pick, but not a super elite RB even if he'd never torn a knee ligament.
Man, for all the discussion that goes into dynasty talk and forecasting things out for multiple years, isn't this a bit shortsighted? You really wouldn't sit on a guy that could be as good as any RB coming out for a season just because you feel compelled to take a WR, considering its a deep WR class and WRs usually take a couple of seasons to come into their own?

2013 NFL Draft: Lattimore still limited at pro day

By Derek Harper | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

March 27, 2013 7:08 pm ET

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Marcus Lattimore hadn't walked onto the field at South Carolina's Williams-Brice Stadium since Oct. 27, when he suffered a gruesome injury to multiple ligaments in his right knee in a game against Tennessee.

Five months later, the running back who spent three seasons helping to elevate the Gamecocks' program returned to their home field Wednesday to participate in South Carolina's pro day. Although he isn't ready yet to take part in on-field drills such as the 40-yard dash, he did some indoor exercises for NFL scouts to demonstrate the progress of his knee.

He quickly stepped in and out of the squares on a rope ladder. He jumped from a standing position onto an 18-inch box and did the same with a 24-inch box. He did step-up exercises onto a box. He did lunges, reverse lunges and balanced on one leg and lowered himself as far as he could.

What it means for his NFL Draft status remains to be seen. The draft's third and final day is a month from Wednesday. The fourth through seventh rounds are picked on that day, and Lattimore is currently rated as a fourth- to fifth-round prospect by NFLDraftScout.com and the No. 11 running back available in this class.

Injuries have derailed a prospect once considered a potential first-rounder, but Lattimore maintained his usual upbeat attitude about what he accomplished at his pro day.

"I could be out there doing something (in on-field drills), but it's not smart to be doing that at this time," he said. "I wanted to be out there bad, just get out there and run some routes.

"(But scouts) were able to see me use my feet, use my knee and see that my knee is fine. It felt great, but I know I've got a lot of work to do and I need at least three or four more months before I put on some pads. I feel like my step-ups showed a lot, when I stepped up onto the box with my right leg. Just showing how stable it is, showing that it's still good and it's progressing."

Lattimore said he has been sprinting recently, though not at full speed, and that he still hopes to play in the first half of next season. He will not have a personal pro day, but will go to Indianapolis next Friday and Saturday for a follow-up examination by NFL doctors. They first examined him at last month's combine in Indianapolis.

"Everything has been progressing perfect," he said. "I know I'll be back playing football, no doubt. One team is going to believe in me. I know that."

Man, for all the discussion that goes into dynasty talk and forecasting things out for multiple years, isn't this a bit shortsighted? You really wouldn't sit on a guy that could be as good as any RB coming out for a season just because you feel compelled to take a WR, considering its a deep WR class and WRs usually take a couple of seasons to come into their own?
I'm being realistic about him. If you're going to consider taking him at 1.4, 1.5 and he's going to be on the bench for a couple years then you better be sure he's the real deal once he's healthy. My point is that you're passing on a bunch of good players in that range for a guy who *may* pay off a couple years down the road - barring any set backs. Maybe I just like the others players in the early-middle 1st too much but I can't see myself taking him that early.

Wish him the best. I don't expect much though, for reasons that I've already talked about.

As for his recovery, of course they are going to say that it's going great. What else would they say? These guys aren't getting paid to kill his stock. Doesn't mean his recovery isn't going well. Just means I'd take all the PR stuff with a big grain of salt.

'cstu said:
'Shutout said:
'cstu said:
I'm being realistic about him. If you're going to consider taking him at 1.4, 1.5 and he's going to be on the bench for a couple years then you better be sure he's the real deal once he's healthy. My point is that you're passing on a bunch of good players in that range for a guy who *may* pay off a couple years down the road - barring any set backs. Maybe I just like the others players in the early-middle 1st too much but I can't see myself taking him that early.
Yeah, i get what you're saying. I'm just thinking in general terms and I probably think the WRs are much more comparable than some others do. I'm not really a "swing for the fences" type of drafter so it is a bit odd for me to be on this side of a discussion because I am usually maore than happy to take a "good" talent and move on and make my team better. But in this case when I see a bunch of "good" WRs, I am more willing to put my stake in the ground and go get the RB I think will be "great". And I'm willing to wait a year on that because I think if the difference making talent is there, the "cream will rise to the top" as they say more often than not. Some of the best backs we have in the game right now did not come out of the gates firing that first year (Charles, Foster, McCoy, Spiller, Rice, etc). More often than we probably think about it, we wait for RBs one way or the other. And conversely, very few WRs come out blazing, so if I'm waiting either way...

The scouts clapping, sounds to me like it was similar to the entire Tennessee team showing him respect.... Yet realizing he may never play again.

If you want to roll the dice, fire away..... But if it takes a late first to land him., I feel like their are better rb prospects that you can spend that first on..... Yet alone other positions. I am usually pretty risk averse... So keep that in mind. Its a boatload of trauma to both knees, feel bad for the kid....

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if I were trying to put Lattimore in perspective I'd want to know where he would rank is this year's class if he were completely healthy. From what I had read a few months ago he was slated as the #1 RB in this year's class. Do people still believe that's the case now that we have more film on the other prospects and have seen them, or most of them anyway, at the combine. Basically I want to know if I gamble that he'll be healthy by the start of the 2014 season, would I be getting the best RB in this year's draft?

So, if I were trying to put Lattimore in perspective I'd want to know where he would rank is this year's class if he were completely healthy. From what I had read a few months ago he was slated as the #1 RB in this year's class. Do people still believe that's the case now that we have more film on the other prospects and have seen them, or most of them anyway, at the combine. Basically I want to know if I gamble that he'll be healthy by the start of the 2014 season, would I be getting the best RB in this year's draft?
I would have him right next to Lacy, myself. But I thought he was a solid 1st round RB prospect before the injuries, and even after recovering from the first one.

'domvin said:
The scouts clapping, sounds to me like it was similar to the entire Tennessee team showing him respect.... Yet realizing he may never play again.
I agree that it means nothing, but I wouldn't take look at it as negative, either. I agree, that only in the RB heaviest of leagues do I think he is worth a 1st round pick. In a traditional formats, right now, I'd be fine gambling in the 2.03+ range.

from Rotoworld:

South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore has visits with the New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams.The Patriots seem to love high-character players and running backs, which is why their interest makes sense. As for the Rams, they recently lost longtime running back Steven Jackson to the Atlanta Falcons in free agency and need a powerful, downhill runner. If or when Lattimore is cleared medically to play football, he could be an option for the team. Lattimore recently did a workout for all 32 teams.Source: USA Today

from Rotoworld:

South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore has visits with the New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams.The Patriots seem to love high-character players and running backs, which is why their interest makes sense. As for the Rams, they recently lost longtime running back Steven Jackson to the Atlanta Falcons in free agency and need a powerful, downhill runner. If or when Lattimore is cleared medically to play football, he could be an option for the team. Lattimore recently did a workout for all 32 teams.Source: USA Today
Seems like a good risk for the Rams at 3.16.

'domvin said:
The scouts clapping, sounds to me like it was similar to the entire Tennessee team showing him respect.... Yet realizing he may never play again. If you want to roll the dice, fire away..... But if it takes a late first to land him., I feel like their are better rb prospects that you can spend that first on..... Yet alone other positions. I am usually pretty risk averse... So keep that in mind. Its a boatload of trauma to both knees, feel bad for the kid....
I would rather take a chance on guys like Lattimore than less talented guys. I have a few late firsts in different leagues, he will probably be on a few of my rosters.

from Rotoworld:

Man, I would hate to see him in New England. That place is a pit for RBs.

from Rotoworld:

Man, I would hate to see him in New England. That place is a pit for RBs.
I disagree, the last three years they've produced a solid fantasy RB#2.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...lattimores-knee-still-a-concern-to-nfl-scouts

Marcus Lattimore's knee still a concern to NFL scouts
By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore was given a standing ovation by all 32 NFL teams at his pro day in March. He participated in the workout less than six months after surgery a torn anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament.

Lattimore was considered one of the nation's top running backs before the injury that included a dislocated kneecap.

Despite Lattimore's pro day performance, plenty of skepticism about Lattimore's recovery remains leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft.

"I've had trainers tell me he's so far away," one scout told Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter Bob McGinn on Saturday. "One told me he's not going to make it back ever. Others say he'll get back to a certain level. It's a tough repair and a tough rehab."

Lattimore showed his resolve in a return from a left ACL tear suffered in 2011, but the right knee injury was devastating. He was first-team All-SEC as a freshman after rushing for 1,197 yards and 17 touchdowns. That was Lattimore's lone healthy season in college.

"He wasn't a real talent or anything," another scout told McGinn. "He's a 4.7 (40-yard dash). He was good because he's smart, understands the (game) and is a great kid. He would have found a way to make yards in the league."

A third scout was the most optimistic, saying, "I think the world of the kid. It will all come down to the doctors."

It's almost impossible to predict when Lattimore will come off the board. The injury would be a serious concern for any player, but at running back, it becomes magnified.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

Perfect landing spot for him, if nothing else. Heal up while Gore is around and step in healthy when he leaves.

The scouts were cheering for a kid who's lower leg was flapping in the wind and didn't think he would be playing football ever again.

Great spot for Lattimore. Love the pick and the situation. I'm rooting for this kid.

The scouts were cheering for a kid who's lower leg was flapping in the wind and didn't think he would be playing football ever again.

Great spot for Lattimore. Love the pick and the situation. I'm rooting for this kid.
Ditto. He seems like an amazing human being. The Niners are smart and well run. He will be a great fit there.

SF is an interesting spot. They don't need a RB, so he can get strong and nfl ready without having to play. Good luck to him.

I don't agree with this being a good spot for him. A good spot for him would have been a place like Atlanta.

What's the payoff here? He probably won't play next year. So than what? You hold the guy a year and if you are lucky he gets put on IR so you can hide him. Than after wasting a roster or IR spot all year he gets to compete with 3 other talented RB's.

In smaller roster dynasty leagues I don't see this as a good strategy. In really large roster leagues maybe but I think you better prepared to be patient for maybe years and that's if he stays healthy.

I don't agree with this being a good spot for him. A good spot for him would have been a place like Atlanta. What's the payoff here? He probably won't play next year. So than what? You hold the guy a year and if you are lucky he gets put on IR so you can hide him. Than after wasting a roster or IR spot all year he gets to compete with 3 other talented RB's. In smaller roster dynasty leagues I don't see this as a good strategy. In really large roster leagues maybe but I think you better prepared to be patient for maybe years and that's if he stays healthy.
I hope everyone agrees with you, pushing him to the 2nd

I don't agree with this being a good spot for him. A good spot for him would have been a place like Atlanta. What's the payoff here? He probably won't play next year. So than what? You hold the guy a year and if you are lucky he gets put on IR so you can hide him. Than after wasting a roster or IR spot all year he gets to compete with 3 other talented RB's. In smaller roster dynasty leagues I don't see this as a good strategy. In really large roster leagues maybe but I think you better prepared to be patient for maybe years and that's if he stays healthy.
He has more talent than any RB on the roster. Once Gore is gone, if healthy Lattimore will run behind the best O-line in football and compete for Super Bowls. But it's a bad spot? I think you'll be alone in that thought.

He has more talent than any RB on the roster. Once Gore is gone, if healthy Lattimore will run behind the best O-line in football and compete for Super Bowls.But it's a bad spot? I think you'll be alone in that thought.
I think in leagues with shorter rosters it's tough to gamble on a guy who will likely sit for a couple of years.

I hope everyone agrees with you, pushing him to the 2nd
You're welcome to take him in the 1st.

He has more talent than any RB on the roster. Once Gore is gone, if healthy Lattimore will run behind the best O-line in football and compete for Super Bowls.But it's a bad spot? I think you'll be alone in that thought.
I think in leagues with shorter rosters it's tough to gamble on a guy who will likely sit for a couple of years.
That's what I'm trying to say and there is no guarantee you'll get a payoff. This comment about him being the most talented RB on the roster is a baseless opinion. Hunter and James have both looked explosive and Gore does not look like he's lost a step. Most of all we don't have any idea if Lattimore ever returns to the player he was, that's why he was almost a 5th round pick.

Just to help the rest of us understand your logic -- who is he sitting behind in 2014?

Just to help the rest of us understand your logic -- who is he sitting behind in 2014?
I still think Gore in the starter in 2014.

Ummmmm. No.

Ummmmm. No.
He averaged 4.7 YPC at age 29, yeah, I still think he has a bit more left in the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread