What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M Lattimore, RB, SC (1 Viewer)

I don't agree with this being a good spot for him. A good spot for him would have been a place like Atlanta. What's the payoff here? He probably won't play next year. So than what? You hold the guy a year and if you are lucky he gets put on IR so you can hide him. Than after wasting a roster or IR spot all year he gets to compete with 3 other talented RB's. In smaller roster dynasty leagues I don't see this as a good strategy. In really large roster leagues maybe but I think you better prepared to be patient for maybe years and that's if he stays healthy.
He has more talent than any RB on the roster. Once Gore is gone, if healthy Lattimore will run behind the best O-line in football and compete for Super Bowls.But it's a bad spot? I think you'll be alone in that thought.
I think in leagues with shorter rosters it's tough to gamble on a guy who will likely sit for a couple of years.
Just to help the rest of us understand your logic -- who is he sitting behind in 2014?
I still think Gore in the starter in 2014.
Ummmmm. No.
He averaged 4.7 YPC at age 29, yeah, I still think he has a bit more left in the tank.
No doubt. Gore has not lost a step and he's signed fairly cheap through the end of the 2014 season.

Also this is the same team that just invested more in Lamichael James than they just invested in Lattimore. James did nothing to disappoint but he still was buried behind a very explosive looking Kendall Hunter. But yea, the late 4th round pick who we don't know to what degree he can return healthy is the most talented RB on the team and the presumed 2014 starter. Sure. Good luck with that.

No doubt. Gore has not lost a step and he's signed fairly cheap through the end of the 2014 season.

Also this is the same team that just invested more in Lamichael James than they just invested in Lattimore. James did nothing to disappoint but he still was buried behind a very explosive looking Kendall Hunter. But yea, the late 4th round pick who we don't know to what degree he can return healthy is the most talented RB on the team and the presumed 2014 starter. Sure. Good luck with that.
IF - and I realize that is a big if - Lattimore is healthy in 2014, who do you think is more talented as an every-down RB? Lattimore, Hunter, or James?

IF - and I realize that is a big if - Lattimore is healthy in 2014, who do you think is more talented as an every-down RB? Lattimore, Hunter, or James?
Ok, fair enough question. Let's assume he returns to 2011 Lattimore. If so he'll still behind Gore in 2014. Hunter, who also needs to get healthy, and James are much better COP backs so I don't see a big role in 2014 unless Gore goes down.

In 2015 I think a 2011 version of Lattimore is more talented or at least more capable of being an everydown RB than Hunter or James. 2014 would also be Hunters last year in SF if they don't extend him.

Obviously by 2015 they could add another RB or resign Hunter but I believe if you are buying into Lattimore that's the first chance for a payoff with Lattimore operating as the primary guy and James as the COP.

This is why it's not horrible by any means to use a mid to late second rounder on him in deep leagues. You'll just have to be very patient and realize that barring a Gore injury you probably need things to go your way and even than be sitting on a two year wait.

In smaller roster leagues, like say 20 or less, I think that's a heck of a roster drain for two years to be using a high pick on a player.

One last thing. I think if we are going to assume Lattimore will return to health I could list a ton of spots I thought were better landing spots than SF. Spots were I could envision him being the favorite or at least have a great chance to be an unquestioned starter or 3 down back as early as 2014.

That's why I commented on this in the first place when everyone said it was a great landing spot. I'd have been much higher on him if I thought he had a chance to win a job in 2014 instead of what I view as best case scenario(again assuming Gore is healthy) of landing a 2015 role as a two down back.

IF Lattimore is healthy in 2014, he is a much better 3 down back than Hunter and James. I really don't think it's even close. But that's a huge IF. That's the gamble. lol

And I'm not as convinced as some here that Gore is a lock next year. He'll have another year of wear and tear although he was still a beast last year. It was a good pick by the 49ers. IF Lattimore gets healthy next year, they have a potential stud. If he doesn't, it didn't cost them much.

Happy for the dude he got drafted and to a team that is able and willing to wait on him. Couldn't really have gone any better for him.

Happy for the dude he got drafted and to a team that is able and willing to wait on him. Couldn't really have gone any better for him.
I don't really understand this thought process. Any team that drafted him would do so with the understanding they were going to be willing to wait on him.

I don't really understand this thought process. Any team that drafted him would do so with the understanding they were going to be willing to wait on him.
Lattimore needs a year or two to heal and SF has a back with a year or two left in the tank. It's the perfect fit.

The other options were going to a team with an already established younger back or a team with an immediate need, who likely would be bringing someone else in in the meantime that could take hold of the job.

IF Lattimore is healthy in 2014, he is a much better 3 down back than Hunter and James. I really don't think it's even close. But that's a huge IF. That's the gamble. lol

And I'm not as convinced as some here that Gore is a lock next year. He'll have another year of wear and tear although he was still a beast last year. It was a good pick by the 49ers. IF Lattimore gets healthy next year, they have a potential stud. If he doesn't, it didn't cost them much.
Gore is far from a lock but barring a major injury I think he's still there. I don't believe in wear and tear and have seen lesser talents than Gore play well at 31. I expect Lattimore to have a role in 2014 but I would be surprised if they hand him the full time job given his injury history.

Gore is far from a lock but barring a major injury I think he's still there. I don't believe in wear and tear and have seen lesser talents than Gore play well at 31. I expect Lattimore to have a role in 2014 but I would be surprised if they hand him the full time job given his injury history.
I'd agree with that. I wasn't really trying to imply that Gore is out next year and Lattimore is in. But I do think, if healthy, Lattimore will have a nice role next year and the man in 2015. Hell, Lattimore could help extend Gore's career if anything. Next year they can give Lattimore enough carries to keep Gore fresh. And in my opinion, those trying to figure out Lattimore with Hunter and James, it's not close if Lattimore is healthy.

I'd agree with that. I wasn't really trying to imply that Gore is out next year and Lattimore is in. But I do think, if healthy, Lattimore will have a nice role next year and the man in 2015. Hell, Lattimore could help extend Gore's career if anything. Next year they can give Lattimore enough carries to keep Gore fresh. And in my opinion, those trying to figure out Lattimore with Hunter and James, it's not close if Lattimore is healthy.
I'm on board with this.

By far the best RB in this year's draft before getting hurt... getting picked in the late 4th by a team that is only looking for depth and has a crap-load of draft picks this year (and potentially next)... that's a gamble worth taking! As a Niner Fan, I'm super stoked by their draft this year... especially Lattimore.

I don't agree with this being a good spot for him. A good spot for him would have been a place like Atlanta. What's the payoff here? He probably won't play next year. So than what? You hold the guy a year and if you are lucky he gets put on IR so you can hide him. Than after wasting a roster or IR spot all year he gets to compete with 3 other talented RB's. In smaller roster dynasty leagues I don't see this as a good strategy. In really large roster leagues maybe but I think you better prepared to be patient for maybe years and that's if he stays healthy.
He has more talent than any RB on the roster. Once Gore is gone, if healthy Lattimore will run behind the best O-line in football and compete for Super Bowls.But it's a bad spot? I think you'll be alone in that thought.
I think in leagues with shorter rosters it's tough to gamble on a guy who will likely sit for a couple of years.
Just to help the rest of us understand your logic -- who is he sitting behind in 2014?
Ummmmm. No.
Ummmm. Yeah.

IF Lattimore is healthy in 2014, he is a much better 3 down back than Hunter and James. I really don't think it's even close. But that's a huge IF. That's the gamble. lol And I'm not as convinced as some here that Gore is a lock next year. He'll have another year of wear and tear although he was still a beast last year. It was a good pick by the 49ers. IF Lattimore gets healthy next year, they have a potential stud. If he doesn't, it didn't cost them much.
I know nothing about lattimore, but as a SF fan I've been very impressed with Hunter and James, and they have also been carrying jewel Hampton, who the team also loves. Frankly, lattimore would have to be exceptional for it not to be "close" between all those guys.

Ummmmm. No.
Ummmm. Yeah.
We shall see. I wouldn't be sure that a 31 year old gore starts over a healthy lattimore. San Fran might not be the perfect spot for him, but it is one of the better.

Given the depth of the 49ers roster I was expecting this pick. They will put him on IR as soon as the season gets here, at a minimum the PUP so they don't have to burn a roster spot. They are very deep.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...marcus-lattimore-fine-with-sitting-out-season

49ers' Marcus Lattimore 'fine' with sitting out season

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Marcus Lattimore predicted before the 2013 NFL Draft that his surgically reconstructed right knee would be ready to go by the beginning of the season. Now that he's property of the San Francisco 49ers, Lattimore is willing to defer to their timetable.

Head coach Jim Harbaugh said Friday that Lattimore's right knee "looks good structurally," but also cautioned that the fourth-round draft pick will have to take his time in recovering from his second major knee injury in as many seasons.

"We're going to have to take a step back in terms of some of the cutting," Harbaugh said, "because we want that inside of the knee, the lateral side of the knee, to heal fully."

While Harbaugh is hesitant to get into "hypotheticals" such as Lattimore sitting out the entire 2013 season, the former South Carolina star will accept that scenario if it's recommended by the 49ers.

"I think that would be fine," Lattimore said, via the Sacramento Bee. "Whatever happens, these next three months will probably determine that. I'm just going to continue to keep working hard, and if I'm called upon, I feel like hopefully I'll be ready."

Fortunately for Lattimore, it's a decision that won't have to be made any time soon. He will start training camp on the physically unable to perform list. Judging by the 49ers' willingness last season to redshirt the majority of their rookie class, it's a good bet that Lattimore also will miss the first six games of the 2013 season on the PUP list.

It won't be until early November when the 49ers will have to make a decision on the remainder of Lattimore's rookie season.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Lattimore makes the 53 man roster they could put him on the short term IR so that he could return later in the season. It will be interesting what they decide to do.

Yes but with LaMichael James they won't have to give the ball to anyone to carry the load. I think they will rotate 2-3 RBs at some point, Harbaugh will go draft another stud RB next year and load up behind the best OL in football. I like Lattimore, he'll get his shot but because SF is so deep I think they can do whatever they want in the next couple of drafts.

Ummmmm. No.
Ummmm. Yeah.
We shall see. I wouldn't be sure that a 31 year old gore starts over a healthy lattimore. San Fran might not be the perfect spot for him, but it is one of the better.
He's gonna be the starter no matter what. There really isn't anything to show why he shouldn't. Gore has gone to the Pro-Bowl for 2 consecutive years these past two. He's at his highest YPA through 16 games since his whopper season in 2006. I always fall short of the prediction that he won't play a full 16 by missing a big chunk of games over the past two seasons, but it hasn't happened. I see no reason why he should not start, and I see nobody who can take over for Gore just yet. ETA his YPA was higher in 2009 than 2012, but not by much. So even in Jimmy Raye's pancake offense, he still produced.

He's gonna be the starter no matter what. There really isn't anything to show why he shouldn't. Gore has gone to the Pro-Bowl for 2 consecutive years these past two. He's at his highest YPA through 16 games since his whopper season in 2006. I always fall short of the prediction that he won't play a full 16 by missing a big chunk of games over the past two seasons, but it hasn't happened. I see no reason why he should not start, and I see nobody who can take over for Gore just yet. ETA his YPA was higher in 2009 than 2012, but not by much. So even in Jimmy Raye's pancake offense, he still produced.
This has been mentioned before, but there's a reason they call it 'falling off a cliff' and not 'slowly sliding down a hill'.

The fall-off in RBs from age typically happens extremely quickly. For instance, Shaun Alexander's came the season after he scored a career high 28 TDs and rushed for a career high 1,880 yards at a career high 5.1ypc.

This has been mentioned before, but there's a reason they call it 'falling off a cliff' and not 'slowly sliding down a hill'.

The fall-off in RBs from age typically happens extremely quickly. For instance, Shaun Alexander's came the season after he scored a career high 28 TDs and rushed for a career high 1,880 yards at a career high 5.1ypc.
Sure, but it may take a few games into the season to see if he has fallen off that cliff. He IMO will be the unquestioned starter for this season, and again he hasn't shown anything yet to not be.

FreeBaGeL, on 11 May 2013 - 17:55, said:

drummer, on 11 May 2013 - 17:18, said:He's gonna be the starter no matter what. There really isn't anything to show why he shouldn't. Gore has gone to the Pro-Bowl for 2 consecutive years these past two. He's at his highest YPA through 16 games since his whopper season in 2006. I always fall short of the prediction that he won't play a full 16 by missing a big chunk of games over the past two seasons, but it hasn't happened. I see no reason why he should not start, and I see nobody who can take over for Gore just yet.ETA his YPA was higher in 2009 than 2012, but not by much. So even in Jimmy Raye's pancake offense, he still produced.
This has been mentioned before, but there's a reason they call it 'falling off a cliff' and not 'slowly sliding down a hill'.The fall-off in RBs from age typically happens extremely quickly. For instance, Shaun Alexander's came the season after he scored a career high 28 TDs and rushed for a career high 1,880 yards at a career high 5.1ypc.
There's a good track record with the top RB's playing well through age 31. It's 32 where RB's really fall off a cliff (usually they lose the starting job by then).

A washed up LT at 31 with the Jets was the #15 RB in PPR. Even McGahee was #10 through 10 weeks last year.

We all agree that Gore open this season as the starter. No one here can be sure about 2014. As discussed above the end comes quickly for these guys - a big part of the skill for dynasty players like me is to jump out before that drop off comes. Gore is a classic example. The other element of the skillis getting the guys early enough who will step up.

Hunter is the real question now. What will become of him?

Lattimore has a great situation for those willing to be patient and play the odds of what will happen with those before him.

For 2014 my money is on him being the guy. I also think that Gore will be gone by then.

I tell ya what, saw Lattimore go in the later part of the 1st round in a lot of leagues yesterday, in leagues that have 20 roster spots for the entire year with a cut down to 16 (FFPC for whoever doesnt recognize it).

He will basically be a dead roster spots for this entire season and maybe much of 2014, who knows. But seems early to have taken him knowing he won't be able to go on IR and sit there for that 20th spot, and not even knowing for sure if he will make your 16 in the offseason.

As for actual football, if I am the 49ers I don't let Lattimore sniff the field this season no matter what.

I think with the hype Lattimore will still have trade value even if he doesn't play a snap this year. People are suckers for stuff like that.

I think with the hype Lattimore will still have trade value even if he doesn't play a snap this year. People are suckers for stuff like that.
Lattimore will be 22 next year and almost two years removed from his knee injury by the time the season starts. If he doesn't have any setbacks he should be worth a high 1st next year.

So what you are basically saying is that for those of us that view this class as a bunch of 'justaguy' type players, he'd basically be trading whatever pick we use on him for a first rounder next season? I just might do it.The other benefit of course being that in some leagues you'd be able to IR him. Do you really think he carries that kind of weight though?Fully healthy, what type of prospect would he be? For instance, rank him in this group where you think he'd fall. I'll list them out of order, please reorder them according to how you'd rank them if they were in a rookie draft next season (assuming health for all).Trent RichardsonDoug MartinGiovanni BernardEddie LacyMark IngramDavid WilsonLamar Miller

Leveon Bell

Montee Ball

Bernard Pierce

So what you are basically saying is that for those of us that view this class as a bunch of 'justaguy' type players, he'd basically be trading whatever pick we use on him for a first rounder next season? I just might do it.The other benefit of course being that in some leagues you'd be able to IR him. Do you really think he carries that kind of weight though?Fully healthy, what type of prospect would he be? For instance, rank him in this group where you think he'd fall. I'll list them out of order, please reorder them according to how you'd rank them if they were in a rookie draft next season (assuming health for all).Trent RichardsonDoug MartinGiovanni BernardEddie LacyMark IngramDavid WilsonLamar Miller

Leveon Bell

Montee Ball

Bernard Pierce
Trent Richardson

Doug Martin

Marcus Lattimore

David Wilson

Leveon Bell

Eddie Lacy
Giovanni Bernard
Montee Ball

Mark Ingram
Lamar Miller

Bernard Pierce

This is if Lattimore fully recovers, and we know what we know now about the guys who have played in the league. Startup dynasty style, with a healthy Lattimore.

Leveon Bell

Montee Ball

Bernard Pierce
I don't expect people to get much use this year out of the rookies they get in the late 1st, so I don't think you're losing much productivity by taking Lattimore instead of Woods/Allen/Franklin, etc.

This is roughly how I have it:

Trent RichardsonDoug Martin

David Wilson

Lattimore

Giovanni BernardEddie LacyGiovanni Bernard

Bernard Pierce

Lamar Miller

Eddie Lacy

Leveon Bell

Mark Ingram

Montee Ball

I can remember McGahee being flipped for a future 1st before he ever played a down.

Lattimore seems to have potential to be moved for the same. Can perhaps be IRd so you can free up the roster spot in the meantime. If you can trade the pick you use on Lattimore for a future 1st might as well just do that. But after the time owners will have to wait for Lattimore to be close to playing elapses he will gain value. So as long as you do not pay 1st round value for him you may be able to turn the pick into a future 1st round pick later on. Especially if his rehab goes well.

I can remember McGahee being flipped for a future 1st before he ever played a down.

Lattimore seems to have potential to be moved for the same. Can perhaps be IRd so you can free up the roster spot in the meantime. If you can trade the pick you use on Lattimore for a future 1st might as well just do that. But after the time owners will have to wait for Lattimore to be close to playing elapses he will gain value. So as long as you do not pay 1st round value for him you may be able to turn the pick into a future 1st round pick later on. Especially if his rehab goes well.
I expect Lattimore to have more trade value next year than Allen, Woods, Wheaton, Michael, Franklin, etc.

There are 9 guys (4 WR/4 RB/Eifert) I think are better choices before Lattimore, but after that I believe you better off taking him - especially if you have an IR spot.

Has anyone broken down & compared tape of McGahee vs Lattimore pre-injury? It would be very interesting to see the comparison. My hunch is that McGahee was more explosive, athletic and natural as a runner.

I can remember McGahee being flipped for a future 1st before he ever played a down. Lattimore seems to have potential to be moved for the same. Can perhaps be IRd so you can free up the roster spot in the meantime. If you can trade the pick you use on Lattimore for a future 1st might as well just do that. But after the time owners will have to wait for Lattimore to be close to playing elapses he will gain value. So as long as you do not pay 1st round value for him you may be able to turn the pick into a future 1st round pick later on. Especially if his rehab goes well.
Has anyone broken down & compared tape of McGahee vs Lattimore pre-injury? It would be very interesting to see the comparison. My hunch is that McGahee was more explosive, athletic and natural as a runner.
McGhee was a far better prospect pre-injury. He was talked about as being one of the very best prospects in his class regardless of position.Lattimore was more if a mid-late 1st round prospect before his injury.

I am not the guy to ask about that.

I am just noting that he seems to carry enough interest that I can see him being sold at higher value later on than he has right now once the year has passed and he is closer to at least splitting time with Gore. McGahee in similar situation was traded for 1st round pick after the year of his rehab was finished. So I could see the same thing happening again as long as Lattimore does not have set backs on his recovery.

I am not the guy to ask about that.

I am just noting that he seems to carry enough interest that I can see him being sold at higher value later on than he has right now once the year has passed and he is closer to at least splitting time with Gore. McGahee in similar situation was traded for 1st round pick after the year of his rehab was finished. So I could see the same thing happening again as long as Lattimore does not have set backs on his recovery.
Fully understood. And I think your logic is solid. But it raised - at least in my mind - the question of whether Lattimore is even ballpark the same type of pre-injury prospect that McGahee was. My gut is no. McGahee was ridiculous pre-injury. But I defer to the wisdom of the SP.

Fully understood. And I think your logic is solid. But it raised - at least in my mind - the question of whether Lattimore is even ballpark the same type of pre-injury prospect that McGahee was. My gut is no. McGahee was ridiculous pre-injury. But I defer to the wisdom of the SP.
Yeah, I think that's an interesting part of the equation. How good is a 100% healthy Lattimore? Where would he have gone if he had never been hurt? I was never fully sold on him as an elite franchise back even before his health problems. Add in the injury/durability question marks and he's strictly a project in my view. I'm pulling for him to succeed, but he might end up being more of a niche player than the next Frank Gore/Willis McGahee. McGahee went in the first round despite his injury, so at least one NFL team still saw him as an elite prospect despite his problems. Lattimore went in the late 4th, a point in the draft where there's less commitment and risk.

I've seen Lattimore going around 1.08-1.12 in my rookie drafts. I understand that it's a boom/bust gamble with a nice potential payoff, but there's not a huge margin for error when you take a guy in the top 8-10. For the sake of comparison, I loathe Knile Davis as a prospect, but at the cost of a 3rd round rookie pick there's a huge potential payoff in the event that he stays healthy and productive long enough to fool some people into doubling down.

I can remember McGahee being flipped for a future 1st before he ever played a down. Lattimore seems to have potential to be moved for the same. Can perhaps be IRd so you can free up the roster spot in the meantime. If you can trade the pick you use on Lattimore for a future 1st might as well just do that. But after the time owners will have to wait for Lattimore to be close to playing elapses he will gain value. So as long as you do not pay 1st round value for him you may be able to turn the pick into a future 1st round pick later on. Especially if his rehab goes well.
I am not the guy to ask about that. I am just noting that he seems to carry enough interest that I can see him being sold at higher value later on than he has right now once the year has passed and he is closer to at least splitting time with Gore. McGahee in similar situation was traded for 1st round pick after the year of his rehab was finished. So I could see the same thing happening again as long as Lattimore does not have set backs on his recovery.
Lattimore was putting up the same stats as Richardson pre-injury. He led the SEC in yards from scrimmage in 2010 and was on pace to match Richardson, who led the SEC, in 2011. He was also on pace to lead the SEC after the first 6 games of 2012 (he bruised his hip in the LSU game before tearing his knee up two games later).

Yeah, I think that's an interesting part of the equation. How good is a 100% healthy Lattimore? Where would he have gone if he had never been hurt? I was never fully sold on him as an elite franchise back even before his health problems. Add in the injury/durability question marks and he's strictly a project in my view. I'm pulling for him to succeed, but he might end up being more of a niche player than the next Frank Gore/Willis McGahee. McGahee went in the first round despite his injury, so at least one NFL team still saw him as an elite prospect despite his problems. Lattimore went in the late 4th, a point in the draft where there's less commitment and risk.
That is true. Nfl teams were not as willing as Buffalo was to use a 1st round pick on a player they would not use until the season after. And even then Willis had a clear path to starting, Lattimore does not.

At the same time the interest in Lattimore seems to be high enough that he will likely gain value near the end of the 2013 season and people anticipate him being able to start playing.

So for trade value you would need to compare Lattimore 2014 with the 2014 draft prospects. How many of those RB and WR would you rate over him fully healthy? Do you think he would be a 1st round pick among the field in 2014? As that is what people will be comparing him to then.

That is true. Nfl teams were not as willing as Buffalo was to use a 1st round pick on a player they would not use until the season after. And even then Willis had a clear path to starting, Lattimore does not.

At the same time the interest in Lattimore seems to be high enough that he will likely gain value near the end of the 2013 season and people anticipate him being able to start playing.

So for trade value you would need to compare Lattimore 2014 with the 2014 draft prospects. How many of those RB and WR would you rate over him fully healthy? Do you think he would be a 1st round pick among the field in 2014? As that is what people will be comparing him to then.
Travis Henry was 25 and had a 1300 yard season the year McGahee was drafted.

Right now there's only one draft-eligible back I rank over him - Seastrunk.

Maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy on the past but I seem to recall Travis Horny being on the way out because of off the field issues at the time, so speculation was high that Willis would be taking over in 2004 which he did. There may have been an injury to Henry as well but I do not recall.

Gore turns 30 years old in 2 days. So while I can see him still being the starter in 2014 he will be 31 and they will be looking for a guy to replace him. Maybe they already found that player in Lattimore.

Maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy on the past but I seem to recall Travis Horny being on the way out because of off the field issues at the time, so speculation was high that Willis would be taking over in 2004 which he did. There may have been an injury to Henry as well but I do not recall.

Gore turns 30 years old in 2 days. So while I can see him still being the starter in 2014 he will be 31 and they will be looking for a guy to replace him. Maybe they already found that player in Lattimore.
I don't remember the whole deal with all his trouble but Henry won the starting job in 2004. McGahee took over week 8 against the Cardinals and kept the job (had to look it up). Henry did sprain his foot but he wasn't played well anyway.

I think Lattimore shares time in 2014 before taking over in 2015 (he'll be younger than Franklin is right now).

One last thing. I think if we are going to assume Lattimore will return to health I could list a ton of spots I thought were better landing spots than SF. Spots were I could envision him being the favorite or at least have a great chance to be an unquestioned starter or 3 down back as early as 2014.

That's why I commented on this in the first place when everyone said it was a great landing spot. I'd have been much higher on him if I thought he had a chance to win a job in 2014 instead of what I view as best case scenario(again assuming Gore is healthy) of landing a 2015 role as a two down back.
The quality of SF offensive line is what makes the situation valuable even if Lattimore does not get significant action until 2015. The upside because of the offensive line means Lattimore could become a RB1 if he does take over the job. The line is good for Gore in the meantime as well. If you think the other RB on SF have a better chance of becoming that player than Lattimore then that player should be a great buy right now.

Situations change fast in the NFL though. I am targeting Lattimore in a league I am stacked in but only because I am stacked and I can ir him. Otherwise I'd pass.

Rotoworld:

49ers signed No. 131 overall pick RB Marcus Lattimore to a four-year contract.
Lattimore will likely spend all of 2013 as a reserve while he continues to rehab his knee. He was touted as having "top-10" ability pre-injury, and the 49ers plan to have him 100 percent healthy for 2014.
49ers RB Marcus Lattimore (knee surgeries) is having the intensity of his rehab restricted by the team.
Coming off of a gruesome knee injury, it's understandable why the team would pull back the reigns on Lattimore's rehab intensity. The 49ers drafted Lattimore knowing they had depth at running back and could "red shirt" the rookie, which seems to be the plan. Lattimore said he "wants to train as hard as he can," but added he "understands why they want to slow me down." He's not expected to make an impact in 2013.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

What are the 49ers going to do. Are they IR'ing him?? Or is there some other designation I remember them talking about. Something where the rules get tricky and you can't put him on IR in some of my leagues.

This guy has some skinny legs for a 5-11, 221 lb RB. I predict he has a McFadden type injury riddled career.

I am not the guy to ask about that. I am just noting that he seems to carry enough interest that I can see him being sold at higher value later on than he has right now once the year has passed and he is closer to at least splitting time with Gore. McGahee in similar situation was traded for 1st round pick after the year of his rehab was finished. So I could see the same thing happening again as long as Lattimore does not have set backs on his recovery.
Lattimore was putting up the same stats as Richardson pre-injury. He led the SEC in yards from scrimmage in 2010 and was on pace to match Richardson, who led the SEC, in 2011. He was also on pace to lead the SEC after the first 6 games of 2012 (he bruised his hip in the LSU game before tearing his knee up two games later).
Agreed, was going to post the some of the same things you mentioned. Lattimore is the type of back that can stay in a game and grind it out too, he will wear down a defense. I watch maybe 8-10 of his games and often time found myself shaking my head as to why Steve had him in the game so late when the game was out of hand. The first injury really didn't surprise me as Steve feed him the ball like no one I can remember right now.

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread