What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Italy trip discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Where should we go for our trip?

• Italy

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • France/Paris

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
We are looking at spain next summer. Where did you go?
Cool. We went to Barcelona and Malaga. Barcelona was cool. We stayed by La Sagrada Familia, the famous church in Barcelona, whereas I would recommend staying in the Gothic Quarter, which is very cool. Staying by La Sagrada Familia had its charm, but I think we missed the cultural aspect of Barcelona. Go with people who like to go out at night, as that's when Barcelona seems to come alive. Eat from 8-11 when they eat. Don't be a tourist like us. See Park Guell, Sagrada Familia, etc. You can take the on-off bus tour over the span of two days. It's a long trip, and the areas down by the sea aren't really worth it, but the red and blue lines were definitely worth the forty or so Euro over two days. You could kind of meet up anywhere, really, and then take the bus.

I think Madrid or Toledo would have suited me better than Malaga -- we stayed at the Torremolinos along the beach, and I'm not really a beach person. Lots of British tourists and expats there. Tons, in fact. It felt like I was visiting England. So we missed Toledo and Madrid, really. I can't speak eloquently to those areas. But Spain is cool. You should have fun. The group I was traveling with and my condition (very sober) were not really conducive to doing what Spain wants, which is night-times and boozy booze. The beach was definitely not really authentic Spain in Malaga, which many people had commented never really recovered after the great near-collapse of property value in 2008.

I would have loved to have hit Ibiza in my thirties, but I am older now and missed out on it. I've got nothing for you.

People also highly, highly recommend Portugal. It's very English-friendly in terms of language, and people say it is like the California coast in terms of weather and beauty. I wanted to go see Lisbon, but alas, all we got was a layover. Something to think about, anyway. We flew TAP airlines, Portugal's main airline, and it worked out well for us.

And that's it. I'll try to remember or ask somebody if you happen to have any other questions. Peace and happy travels.

rockaction said:
Cool. We went to Barcelona and Malaga. Barcelona was cool. We stayed by La Sagrada Familia, the famous church in Barcelona, whereas I would recommend staying in the Gothic Quarter, which is very cool. Staying by La Sagrada Familia had its charm, but I think we missed the cultural aspect of Barcelona. Go with people who like to go out at night, as that's when Barcelona seems to come alive. Eat from 8-11 when they eat. Don't be a tourist like us. See Park Guell, Sagrada Familia, etc. You can take the on-off bus tour over the span of two days. It's a long trip, and the areas down by the sea aren't really worth it, but the red and blue lines were definitely worth the forty or so Euro over two days. You could kind of meet up anywhere, really, and then take the bus.

I think Madrid or Toledo would have suited me better than Malaga -- we stayed at the Torremolinos along the beach, and I'm not really a beach person. Lots of British tourists and expats there. Tons, in fact. It felt like I was visiting England. So we missed Toledo and Madrid, really. I can't speak eloquently to those areas. But Spain is cool. You should have fun. The group I was traveling with and my condition (very sober) were not really conducive to doing what Spain wants, which is night-times and boozy booze. The beach was definitely not really authentic Spain in Malaga, which many people had commented never really recovered after the great near-collapse of property value in 2008.

I would have loved to have hit Ibiza in my thirties, but I am older now and missed out on it. I've got nothing for you.

People also highly, highly recommend Portugal. It's very English-friendly in terms of language, and people say it is like the California coast in terms of weather and beauty. I wanted to go see Lisbon, but alas, all we got was a layover. Something to think about, anyway. We flew TAP airlines, Portugal's main airline, and it worked out well for us.

And that's it. I'll try to remember or ask somebody if you happen to have any other questions. Peace and happy travels.
Thanks for the write-up, very appreciated.

We only can visit in the summer, so looking at staying up north. We are thinking Barcelona for 3 days, the Basque region for 5, a quick flight to Lisbon for 3-4 days, Porto for another 3-4 days and then the Azores for a week. 

Family of 4 (15 and 17 year old) so the bar hopping probably will not happen. 

I'm heading back to Italy much sooner than expected, early Sept for work, arriving in Rome on a Monday morning departing Friday evening. The work obligation is all day Wednesday and half a day Thursday - free to do as I please otherwise. Having checked all of the tourist boxes last summer I'm looking for some off the beaten path things to do, with a focus on finding great food and drink.  I'd much prefer this meeting be happening in Florence and I considered catching a train up there as soon as I arrive, then coming back to Rome late Tues, but I think I'll be too jet-lagged to hustle like that. Tempted though.

I'm heading back to Italy much sooner than expected, early Sept for work, arriving in Rome on a Monday morning departing Friday evening. The work obligation is all day Wednesday and half a day Thursday - free to do as I please otherwise. Having checked all of the tourist boxes last summer I'm looking for some off the beaten path things to do, with a focus on finding great food and drink.  I'd much prefer this meeting be happening in Florence and I considered catching a train up there as soon as I arrive, then coming back to Rome late Tues, but I think I'll be too jet-lagged to hustle like that. Tempted though.
We love Trastevere.  It's a bit ruckus, but the area right across the Ponte Sisto into Trastevere is a hot spot for foodies and drinkies.  Upstairs in Termini is Rome's version of the Mercato Centrale like Florence.  Not sure if you've tried, but I've highly suggested the Necropolis tour at the Vatican.  Going underneath is crazy fun and maybe you can help solve a murder.

We love Trastevere.  It's a bit ruckus, but the area right across the Ponte Sisto into Trastevere is a hot spot for foodies and drinkies.  Upstairs in Termini is Rome's version of the Mercato Centrale like Florence.  Not sure if you've tried, but I've highly suggested the Necropolis tour at the Vatican.  Going underneath is crazy fun and maybe you can help solve a murder.
We had a great dinner at Le Mani in Pasta in Trastevere last summer, will definitely go back to that neighborhood. There was a restaurant nearby we wanted to go to but couldn't get a reservation, I think it was Trattoria Da Enzo Al 29, will try to make that happen. I was also thinking of doing one of those walking foodie tours around there, I think someone in the thread recommended it, maybe I'll see if the work group wants to do that one of the nights.

I LOVED Mercato Centrale, we went there twice for lunch. If the one at Termini is anything like it I'll check it out. And I had booked and prepaid for the Necropolis tour for the family last time but the time we were assigned didn't end up working out so we had to bag it.

Here's a good food tour in Trastevere.  It hits Da Enzo.

Thanks for the write-up, very appreciated.

We only can visit in the summer, so looking at staying up north. We are thinking Barcelona for 3 days, the Basque region for 5, a quick flight to Lisbon for 3-4 days, Porto for another 3-4 days and then the Azores for a week. 

Family of 4 (15 and 17 year old) so the bar hopping probably will not happen. 
I’m doing Porto-Lisbon-Algarve-Seville-Granada-Barcelona in October

I'm doing the opposite, business in Florence, flying into Rome, taking a day to sightsee and then heading to Florence via train.

I haven't done everything in Florence but I've been twice in the last year, want to see Rome and more importantly I can get a direct flight to Rome.

I'm doing the opposite, business in Florence, flying into Rome, taking a day to sightsee and then heading to Florence via train.

I haven't done everything in Florence but I've been twice in the last year, want to see Rome and more importantly I can get a direct flight to Rome.
I’ve also done Florence a couple of times. Rome is awesome but Florence is more my speed. 

I’ve also done Florence a couple of times. Rome is awesome but Florence is more my speed. 
Florence in October.Flying to Milan then road (train) trip with my teen daughters. Milan, Florence, Parma, by far most time in Florence. Any good vegetarian restaurants (the daughters are saving the planet one uneaten steak at a time)?

Nigel said:
We had a great dinner at Le Mani in Pasta in Trastevere last summer, will definitely go back to that neighborhood. There was a restaurant nearby we wanted to go to but couldn't get a reservation, I think it was Trattoria Da Enzo Al 29, will try to make that happen. I was also thinking of doing one of those walking foodie tours around there, I think someone in the thread recommended it, maybe I'll see if the work group wants to do that one of the nights.

I LOVED Mercato Centrale, we went there twice for lunch. If the one at Termini is anything like it I'll check it out. And I had booked and prepaid for the Necropolis tour for the family last time but the time we were assigned didn't end up working out so we had to bag it.
Dal Enzo is crazy busy....we came across another place that we loved and is pretty similar called La Tavernetta 29 da Tony e Andrea.  Also in Trastevere, we found a burger joint (kosher) called Fonzie's The Burger's House.  There are 2-3 around Rome.  Awesome burger and fries and rings from a Roman point of view.  Pizzeria Nerone can not be beat.  If you like hole in the wall dives, we found a fish place called La Tonneria Pesce e Vino.  Raw/Cooked bar with beer and wine.  Lastly, a cool joint for killing time is La Fraschetta di Castel Sant’Angelo.

Nigel said:

Dal Enzo is crazy busy....we came across another place that we loved and is pretty similar called La Tavernetta 29 da Tony e Andrea.  Also in Trastevere, we found a burger joint (kosher) called Fonzie's The Burger's House.  There are 2-3 around Rome.  Awesome burger and fries and rings from a Roman point of view.  Pizzeria Nerone can not be beat.  If you like hole in the wall dives, we found a fish place called La Tonneria Pesce e Vino.  Raw/Cooked bar with beer and wine.  Lastly, a cool joint for killing time is La Fraschetta di Castel Sant’Angelo.
Il Duca was a Trastevere dinner spot we loved when there last summer

Haven't booked flights yet, but looking at routes which would land in FCO on a Monday morning somewhere between 8-10am.  Sounds like budgeting ~3.5 hours to get us into Florence ... maybe we have a late lunch there before making our way to hotel mid-afternoon?  Seems like a reasonable first step.

OK - some reasonable airfare prices came about this week (IAH-DFW-FCO on American Airlines), so we went ahead booked tickets for 09-17 May 2020.  Hopefully the weather will be nice and the summer crowds won't be there quite yet.  Again, this is the trip where my wife and I are taking our moms ... ages 70 & 65, good travel buddies and good sports despite their lack of international travel.  Italy is a bucket list for both of them, and we are going to focus on Rome and Florence for their trip.  I'm going to start compiling the awesome recommendations from this thread for lodging, eating and tour suggestions.

Because we have a morning departure leaving Rome, we intend on taking the train after arriving Rome up to visit Florence first.  The big question I need to answer first is how to divide the 7 nights ... should Florence or Rome get the extra (4th) night?  I'm leaning toward Florence as it likely will include one of these Tuscan biking or wine-tasting excursions, but also know how much can be seen in Rome.  Will share the itinerary as we lock in our plans.

OK - some reasonable airfare prices came about this week (IAH-DFW-FCO on American Airlines), so we went ahead booked tickets for 09-17 May 2020.  Hopefully the weather will be nice and the summer crowds won't be there quite yet.  Again, this is the trip where my wife and I are taking our moms ... ages 70 & 65, good travel buddies and good sports despite their lack of international travel.  Italy is a bucket list for both of them, and we are going to focus on Rome and Florence for their trip.  I'm going to start compiling the awesome recommendations from this thread for lodging, eating and tour suggestions.

Because we have a morning departure leaving Rome, we intend on taking the train after arriving Rome up to visit Florence first.  The big question I need to answer first is how to divide the 7 nights ... should Florence or Rome get the extra (4th) night?  I'm leaning toward Florence as it likely will include one of these Tuscan biking or wine-tasting excursions, but also know how much can be seen in Rome.  Will share the itinerary as we lock in our plans.
The majority of feedback in this thread would point towards Florence as the favorite over Rome. It depends on your itinerary though I guess. Doing the same as you with a train to Florence the morning we land in Rome. Going to be a long night/morning!

Boulder Toads said:

Because we have a morning departure leaving from Rome, we intend on taking the train after arriving Rome up to visit Florence first.  The big question I need to answer first is how to divide the 7 nights ... should Florence or Rome get the extra (4th) night?  I'm leaning toward Florence as it likely will include one of these Tuscan biking or wine-tasting excursions, but also know how much can be seen in Rome.  Will share the itinerary as we lock in our plans.
extra night in rome, especially since you are leaving from rome.  the vatican is 1 day on its own.  the train to florence means you get your bags and walk to the leonardo express, which is 18 per person and gets you to termini station where you get the high speed to florence.  trenitalia has the frecciarosa high speed, but italo also does the same route on the same train line and have better prices.  instead of spending 72, you can take a fixed price white taxi for 55 to central rome, which includes termini.  also, you should price a car directly from rome to florence.  i think www.mytuscanbuddy.com  offers this service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommendations for places to stay in/near Siena? 
sorry i missed this.  there are so many places to stay in that area, even florence, pienza and montepulciano are close.  i can only say i’ve stayed at castello di spaltenna.  to us, it was pretty awesome.  isolated, but within walking distance of a small village called gaiole in chianti.  highly recommend a lunch at bar ucci in volpaia if you can get there.  if you go to siena, we’ve become great friends with a restaurant owner and i would highly recommend sotto le fonti, outside the walls, for an awesome evening.  that area also has the overhyped cecchini in panzano.  recommend his butcher shop, but the dinner experience is pretty meh.

Florence in October.Flying to Milan then road (train) trip with my teen daughters. Milan, Florence, Parma, by far most time in Florence. Any good vegetarian restaurants (the daughters are saving the planet one uneaten steak at a time)?
Almost every restaurant has a caprese salad and ribollita. Can't go wrong with either of those. And plenty of cheese pizza.

sorry i missed this.  there are so many places to stay in that area, even florence, pienza and montepulciano are close.  i can only say i’ve stayed at castello di spaltenna.  to us, it was pretty awesome.  isolated, but within walking distance of a small village called gaiole in chianti.  highly recommend a lunch at bar ucci in volpaia if you can get there.  if you go to siena, we’ve become great friends with a restaurant owner and i would highly recommend sotto le fonti, outside the walls, for an awesome evening.  that area also has the overhyped cecchini in panzano.  recommend his butcher shop, but the dinner experience is pretty meh.
We stayed at castello di spaltenna a few years ago. Great place with beautiful views. We took a lot of day trips across Tuscany.

Wife and I are taking a two week tour in October which includes Venice, Florence, and Rome.  I've heard Italians dress much better than we do and I don't want to stand out as a slobby tourist in shorts and a t-shirt.  Recommendations on what to wear?

Planning a trip for September 2020 to Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre  and Rome.  I have been looking at both hotels and Airbnb's.  Would love to hear where everyone has stayed and any recommendations.  Thanks.

Wife and I are taking a two week tour in October which includes Venice, Florence, and Rome.  I've heard Italians dress much better than we do and I don't want to stand out as a slobby tourist in shorts and a t-shirt.  Recommendations on what to wear?
Just an FYI, even if you dress "well", you're going to stand out.  There's a certain style and how they carry themselves that they notice.  Nothing you can really do but don't worry about it.  Just do better than shorts and a t-shirt  :)

What a night I just had roaming aimlessly around Travestere w a buddy from work. Great pizza at Dar Poeta (on par with Gusta in Florence), hit a bunch of bars, great local vibe, tons of energy. Popped in and out for dinner last summer with the family but did not absorb the scene like I did this time. It is THE place to be, and I think I caught it perfectly on a warm Thurs evening. Will get a room in this neighborhood next time.

Nigel said:
What a night I just had roaming aimlessly around Travestere w a buddy from work. Great pizza at Dar Poeta (on par with Gusta in Florence), hit a bunch of bars, great local vibe, tons of energy. Popped in and out for dinner last summer with the family but did not absorb the scene like I did this time. It is THE place to be, and I think I caught it perfectly on a warm Thurs evening. Will get a room in this neighborhood next time.
Coincidentally, I just watched a youtube video last night about what locals suggests tourists do in Rome, and Travestere was top of the list.  

Footwear is the tourist giveaway, fyi.  I wouldn't care about dress code, but do remember churches are a place of worship, so jeans and something that covers your shoulders....no tube tops.  Be comfortable, but respectful of where you are going.  There will be zillions other tourists, you'll hardly stand out.

Planning a trip for September 2020 to Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre  and Rome.  I have been looking at both hotels and Airbnb's.  Would love to hear where everyone has stayed and any recommendations.  Thanks.
I am a hotel person, I can only provide those suggestions.

Nigel said:
If you try it again, hit Pizzeria Nerone then drink it up at Freni e Frizioni or Mecchanismo.

My wife turns 50 in April and it looks like an Italy trip is in the works.  A very tentative itinerary at this point is 3 nights in Venice followed by 4-5 nights in Rome.  My wife is in the travel industry so we'll be using hotel points (likely Marriott) for most all of our stays.  So if you have any Marriott hotels to suggest, please throw them out there.

We have both been to Italy twice, but both times single day stops on Mediterranean cruises (Rome x2, Florence x2, Amalfi Coast x2).  We've at least hit most of the main touristy things in those places.  This trip we're looking to slow it down a little and take our time exploring sans kids.  We will definitely be doing the Vatican Necropolis though because my wife hasn't done it yet and I think it's a must.  Beyond that, we're pretty open at this point.

Based on the past 8-10 pages, it sounds like Trastevere is a good area to stay in Rome?  The food tour that's been mentioned a few times seems right up our alley, so I'll probably book that.

Venice doesn't seem to get much hype here either, so maybe I can try to convince the wife to only do 1-2 days there and then consider somewhere else (Florence or Tuscany or Positano or Cinque Terre?) for a few days as 3rd stop.  We'll likely be taking the train in between places rather than renting a car if that matters at all.  I haven't even looked at a map yet to see how far apart these are.  It's not unthinkable that we might be able to expand out to maybe 10-12 nights in Italy either so I'm open to suggestions with regards to itinerary.

I'll definitely read through more of the older posts this weekend.  Love the thread so far!

My wife turns 50 in April and it looks like an Italy trip is in the works.  A very tentative itinerary at this point is 3 nights in Venice followed by 4-5 nights in Rome.  My wife is in the travel industry so we'll be using hotel points (likely Marriott) for most all of our stays.  So if you have any Marriott hotels to suggest, please throw them out there.

We have both been to Italy twice, but both times single day stops on Mediterranean cruises (Rome x2, Florence x2, Amalfi Coast x2).  We've at least hit most of the main touristy things in those places.  This trip we're looking to slow it down a little and take our time exploring sans kids.  We will definitely be doing the Vatican Necropolis though because my wife hasn't done it yet and I think it's a must.  Beyond that, we're pretty open at this point.

Based on the past 8-10 pages, it sounds like Trastevere is a good area to stay in Rome?  The food tour that's been mentioned a few times seems right up our alley, so I'll probably book that.

Venice doesn't seem to get much hype here either, so maybe I can try to convince the wife to only do 1-2 days there and then consider somewhere else (Florence or Tuscany or Positano or Cinque Terre?) for a few days as 3rd stop.  We'll likely be taking the train in between places rather than renting a car if that matters at all.  I haven't even looked at a map yet to see how far apart these are.  It's not unthinkable that we might be able to expand out to maybe 10-12 nights in Italy either so I'm open to suggestions with regards to itinerary.

I'll definitely read through more of the older posts this weekend.  Love the thread so far!
i liked the necropolis, but was not blown away.   if you've both done rome, i say skip it.  go somewhere smaller.  my next italy trip will be off the beaten path entirely.  i'm thinking sicily.

My two week trip to Italy is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping to get some targeted questions answered as I fill out my itinerary.  First part of the trip is a flight into Milan for a quick stop before taking the train to Venice.  We're planning to see the Duomo, Galleria, and potentially Sforza Castle.  My questions are:

1.  I planned to take the metro from the Milan Centrale train station to the Duomo.  Right move?

2.  Duomo - Do I need to buy tickets in advance?  I've read that advance tickets wouldn't really benefit us or save us from waiting since the security line is the bottleneck, not the ticket purchase line.

Thanks!

My two week trip to Italy is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping to get some targeted questions answered as I fill out my itinerary.  First part of the trip is a flight into Milan for a quick stop before taking the train to Venice.  We're planning to see the Duomo, Galleria, and potentially Sforza Castle.  My questions are:

1.  I planned to take the metro from the Milan Centrale train station to the Duomo.  Right move?

2.  Duomo - Do I need to buy tickets in advance?  I've read that advance tickets wouldn't really benefit us or save us from waiting since the security line is the bottleneck, not the ticket purchase line.

Thanks!
solo trip?

yes on the metro to the duomo.  yellow line towards san donato, 4 stops.  hit a tabaccheria and buy some 75 minute BIT tickets, they come in handy.  Remember, when you use public transportation, validate your ticket in one of those yellow machines.  don’t buy tickets in advance, but do consider a tour like this;

https://www.toursbylocals.com/MilanHighlightsPrivateTour

some other things to consider are the Last Supper, La Scala Theater (i saw an opera there) and a soccer match.  people flip for AC Milan.  eataly milan could be fun.  for kicks, the starbucks reserve roasters is there and has gotten some rave reviews;

https://www.starbucksreserve.com/en-us/locations/milano

Booked another combo trip for September 2020, our place for a week then a 9 night Greek Isle cruise leaving from Civitavecchia (Rome).  One day i’ll run across a FBG in Italy.

Want to do 4 nights Rome, 4 nights Florence, 3 nights Cinque Terre and 3 nights Venice.  The order will depend on flights.  Probably do a day trip to Sienna and San Gimiginano from Florence and a half day winery tour another day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Want to do 4 nights Rome, 4 nights Florence, 3 nights Cinque Terre and 3 nights Venice.  The order will depend on flights.  Probably do a day trip to Sienna and San Gimiginano from Florence and a half day winery tour another day.
Any reason you are going to venice?  I’m not a fan, some people are, but it’s just tourist mumbo jumbo IMO.  I’d rather use those nights elsewhere.  Even Milan/Lake Como.  This thread has lots of tips and i am located between florence and rome.  we go to siena a lot and the winery we live at is avignonesi for lunch, tours, cooking classes.

Any reason you are going to venice?  I’m not a fan, some people are, but it’s just tourist mumbo jumbo IMO.  I’d rather use those nights elsewhere.  Even Milan/Lake Como.  This thread has lots of tips and i am located between florence and rome.  we go to siena a lot and the winery we live at is avignonesi for lunch, tours, cooking classes.
I've been following this thread and taking notes.  Wife really wants to see Venice and I do too.  Have heard people say you have to see it and others say skip.  We can check it off the list and not go back if we would ever get back too Italy.

I've been following this thread and taking notes.  Wife really wants to see Venice and I do too.  Have heard people say you have to see it and others say skip.  We can check it off the list and not go back if we would ever get back too Italy.
2 nights is plenty.

Very similar to my trip: flew into Rome, then Florence, Cinque Terre, Verona, flew home from Venice.

ChemX is right, 2 nights in Venice is plenty. I get you wanting to see it though. Consider Verona or Padua for a night, both close to Venice. 

I'll be in Florence from the 11th to the 15th, you?

Users who are viewing this thread