What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Men on AMC (5 Viewers)

Brutal episode.

I am sure the fanboys will lap it up but it was just a lazy storyline using drugs as a crutch.
I love the show so it makes me a fan. I guess you added the boy part to belittle. Why wouldn't people who love the show not love the crash? It was smart, intense and entertaining. classic Mad Men. The wtf moments made it even better. I didn't even mention Megan in the skirt because I've used love too many times. but I did love it.
Fanboy is just geek speak. Not to belittle. Like I said I am a fanboy of Breaking Bad and they could show a rotting cat on TV for an hour and I would delve into how it fits into the storyline.

This felt like a filler episode with just random happenings that dont really fit. The psychic girl/daughter, the black thief, the backstory parts were just cringeworthy as well. Its a good show dont get me wrong but I feel the best seasons were years back. Now it seems like they are struggling to figure out where to go with the series.

Brutal episode. I am sure the fanboys will lap it up but it was just a lazy storyline using drugs as a crutch.
I love the show so it makes me a fan. I guess you added the boy part to belittle. Why wouldn't people who love the show not love the crash? It was smart, intense and entertaining. classic Mad Men. The wtf moments made it even better. I didn't even mention Megan in the skirt because I've used love too many times. but I did love it.
Fanboy is just geek speak. Not to belittle.
:lmao:

I don't get why people complain about Don's flashbacks. Yes, we like the action on Madison Avenue and to see Don Draper kick ### and bang chicks, but it's clear that Don's history and search for "something" is what the show is actually about.

The doctor in last night's EP was semi-based on a real doctor...Max Jacobsen.

He ran around shooting speed into all kinds of people including JFK.

If you watched "61*" he was the doctor that Mel Allen told Mickey Mantle to go and see. Mantle's hip became infected thanks to Jacobsen's shot and he was forced to sit out the rest of the 1961 season...the rest is history.

I don't get why people complain about Don's flashbacks. Yes, we like the action on Madison Avenue and to see Don Draper kick ### and bang chicks, but it's clear that Don's history and search for "something" is what the show is actually about.
I think the freakish-looking young **** Whitman is what makes the flashbacks oft-putting.

I really wanted Don to nail the psychic girl.
The "It's broken..." sequence may have been the best part of the show in a long while. Absolutely perfect. It would have been easy (and it would have fit) to have him tripping like mad, losing time, sweating, running around, and work in the psychic to tell him his heart is broken. Would have fit just fine. To have it unfold as it did was brilliant.

The "It's broken..." sequence may have been the best part of the show in a long while. Absolutely perfect. It would have been easy (and it would have fit) to have him tripping like mad, losing time, sweating, running around, and work in the psychic to tell him his heart is broken. Would have fit just fine. To have it unfold as it did was brilliant.
:lmao:

We saw that coming a mile away, from the flash backs to her pulling out a stethoscope it became obvious what the angle was.

:lmao: We saw that coming a mile away, from the flash backs to her pulling out a stethoscope it became obvious what the angle was.
Well for those of us with inferior intellect it was awesome.

Yup. I also liked the "your question was if anybody loves me".

:lmao: We saw that coming a mile away, from the flash backs to her pulling out a stethoscope it became obvious what the angle was.
Yea sure.

so between the whore house flashbacks, the undertone all season/episode with the women, the crazy girl telling him to silently ask a question and then she shows up with a stethoscope you didnt see her making some vague comment about his love or lackthereof?

so between the whore house flashbacks, the undertone all season/episode with the women, the crazy girl telling him to silently ask a question and then she shows up with a stethoscope you didnt see her making some vague comment about his love or lackthereof?
I was talking about the stethoscope being broken.

I'm just watching the show in the moment dude.

I think the freakish-looking young **** Whitman is what makes the flashbacks oft-putting.
That kid isn't going to look anything like Jon Hamm when he grows up.

My problem is that the execution was too self-conscious, and ultimately so strange that it distracted from anything the episode had to say about Don, mothers, fathers, Chevy or the way, as Don puts it in one of the more coherent parts of his pitch to Peggy and Ginsberg, history holds us all together. This was a memorably weird episode of "Mad Men," but one where I imagine I'm only going to remember the weirdness — the style and not the substance.
I do agree with this assessment by Sepinwall. I liked what was happening in the episode, but at times, the technique felt a little heavy-handed.

I'm in the group who thought this week's episode was subpar for Mad Men. For one thing, it pretty much only told us stuff we already knew about Don. That nothing in his life can fill up the emptiness inside him. For another, giving us that kind of "on the nose" genesis for his Madonna/Whore complex (a prostitute who actually mothers him back to health before deflowering him) is pretty lazy writing. And it really doesn't track with the other affairs that Don has had (Sylvia may wear a head scarf and have a beauty mark, but he's slept with lots of women who don't seem much like that.)

I'm a bit surprised that none of the big critics seem to be asking what was up with Don's persistent cough. Don has looked sweaty and sickly all season. As I continue to think that the line "That's how you get to heaven, something terrible has to happen" from the season premiere is meant to be foreshadowing, I think that Don is facing a health crisis. Maybe not a cancer scare, considering they've already done that with Betty, but something. Lung cancer would make some type of storytelling sense as well if they do something with the Virginia Slims account the Peggy supposedly was working on at Ted's agency. The brand was first test marketed in late July, 1968 which would be either next episode or the next after that. It was marketed nationally one month later. It would provide the kind of symmetry Weiner seems to like.

I'm in the group who thought this week's episode was subpar for Mad Men. For one thing, it pretty much only told us stuff we already knew about Don. That nothing in his life can fill up the emptiness inside him. For another, giving us that kind of "on the nose" genesis for his Madonna/Whore complex (a prostitute who actually mothers him back to health before deflowering him) is pretty lazy writing. And it really doesn't track with the other affairs that Don has had (Sylvia may wear a head scarf and have a beauty mark, but he's slept with lots of women who don't seem much like that.)

I'm a bit surprised that none of the big critics seem to be asking what was up with Don's persistent cough. Don has looked sweaty and sickly all season. As I continue to think that the line "That's how you get to heaven, something terrible has to happen" from the season premiere is meant to be foreshadowing, I think that Don is facing a health crisis. Maybe not a cancer scare, considering they've already done that with Betty, but something. Lung cancer would make some type of storytelling sense as well if they do something with the Virginia Slims account the Peggy supposedly was working on at Ted's agency. The brand was first test marketed in late July, 1968 which would be either next episode or the next after that. It was marketed nationally one month later. It would provide the kind of symmetry Weiner seems to like.
I was waiting for blood on the kleenex.

I was waiting for blood on the kleenex.
:goodposting:

The wife and I were talking about this and waiting for it as well.

Weird that I disagreed with the majority of the posters here when I contended that this has been one of the better seasons to date but absolutely did not like last weeks episode when all of you seem to have really enjoyed it.

It felt too much like the "In Camelot" episode of The Sopranos where you waited for an entire week to watch the show and then nothing really happened in the grand scheme of things.

I realize In Camelot was largely a dream episode while this was supposed to be more lucid, but I didn't feel like much of the story was pushed along until Don at the end basically announced he would be taking less of an active role in Chevy.

I love this show, love the characters and I'm ok with "slow" episodes, I'm just not as thrilled with an episode that takes the characters out of who they are and allows them to live for a week in a way that's not likely to really move the story along much for any of them.

Just my opinion - I still contend it's probably going to go down as one of my of 1 or 2 favorite seasons depending on how things turn out.

Don's speeches were awesome. While others on the drug may have acted weird, his focus and intent was there, and I liked it. Plus, by the end of the episode, he realized he's been acting like a #####, and he's over it. The elevator scene was great physical acting.

Don's speeches were awesome. While others on the drug may have acted weird, his focus and intent was there, and I liked it. Plus, by the end of the episode, he realized he's been acting like a #####, and he's over it. The elevator scene was great physical acting.
I thought Peggy said everything he'd produced was gibberish.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it pertained to Chevy.
Right, which is what they were all working on.

It wasn't Don's focus. He was highly focused on his own agenda.

Which has nothing to do with my comment. Don's focus and intent was more than Chevy.

Which has nothing to do with my comment. Don's focus and intent was more than Chevy.
So his focus and intent were on one thing but not the other--which just happens to be his job. And the other suffered greatly because of it. So much so that a co-worker described it as gibberish. But in your mind, that was not weird. Got it.

Weird that I disagreed with the majority of the posters here when I contended that this has been one of the better seasons to date but absolutely did not like last weeks episode when all of you seem to have really enjoyed it.
HOW DARE YOU SIR !!!!!?!?!!?!

The others were running races, getting stabbed, banging chicks while bring watched, and making 666 item lists if non-sense. Don was focused on his intent if self exploration which normally leads to ideas for ads, but this time ended up about overarching philosophy and getting back his mistress. I'm not sure why you're getting so upset.

Users who are viewing this thread