What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (3 Viewers)

The reasons have been brought up multiple times in this thread, you just seem to be ignoring or dismissing them.

Kruetz no longer the starting center

Ingram gets more adjusted to the NFL game as he has more than 6 games of experience

Sporles role gets reduced a bit as the season progresses

You are arguing stats when I don't think stats are the correct thing to be looking at, so we will never see eye to eye on this. My eyes tell me Ingram has all the tools to be a top 10 RB in this league, and that it is only a matter of time before that happens.

If we dismissed all of the RB's who had pedestrian starts to their career in their first 6 games then we would be excluding a very large and talented pool of RB's.
What am I missing?This is Ingram's downward trend after his Heisman sophomore season:

1) Ingram had a much worse Junior season vs Senior season. .6 less YPC and almost 800 less rushing yards, including performing very average in big time games.

2) Ingram had a poor/average combine, which showed he isn't fast/strong/explosive.

3) Ingram has averaged 3.4 YPC on his first 71 carries behind a good run blocking OL. Pierre Thomas is averaging 4.0 on 41 carries and Darren Sproles is averaging 7.4 YPC on 27 carries.

The reasons have been brought up multiple times in this thread, you just seem to be ignoring or dismissing them.

Ingram gets more adjusted to the NFL game as he has more than 6 games of experience

You are arguing stats when I don't think stats are the correct thing to be looking at, so we will never see eye to eye on this. My eyes tell me Ingram has all the tools to be a top 10 RB in this league, and that it is only a matter of time before that happens.

If we dismissed all of the RB's who had pedestrian starts to their career in their first 6 games then we would be excluding a very large and talented pool of RB's.
What am I missing?This is Ingram's downward trend after his Heisman sophomore season:

1) Ingram had a much worse Junior season vs Senior season. .6 less YPC and almost 800 less rushing yards, including performing very average in big time games.

2) Ingram had a poor/average combine, which showed he isn't fast/strong/explosive.

3) Ingram has averaged 3.4 YPC on his first 71 carries behind a good run blocking OL. Pierre Thomas is averaging 4.0 on 41 carries and Darren Sproles is averaging 7.4 YPC on 27 carries.
Ingrams running plays are coming on running downs. when Sproles enters the game teams are expecting the pass so it is much easier to find room when you do run. you see this(better average per carry than the starter) alot with teams 3rd down backs.

They have been ranked pretty high for running the ball the last 3 years. it is my belief that is because they are a passing team so when they do run they good good averages.
I watch every week. Trust me, this year's group can't get a push to save their lives. Sproles' average is skewed by the fact that he's had some long runs on toss plays and a low number of carries, and PT's average is well below his norm (when healthy).

They have been ranked pretty high for running the ball the last 3 years. it is my belief that is because they are a passing team so when they do run they good good averages.
I watch every week. Trust me, this year's group can't get a push to save their lives. Sproles' average is skewed by the fact that he's had some long runs on toss plays and a low number of carries, and PT's average is well below his norm (when healthy).
Being they are 13th in rushing yards on a team that is pass 1st, I don't think that is to bad.

What will the excuse be for the bum next week?

First it was that his YPC was bad because of short yardage carries, that myth was debunked.

Now it's all because of Kruetz.

What is next weeks excuse? Can't wait to hear it.

:goodposting: Ingram hasn't been that good since his soph year on the most dominant team in college football.

Being they are 13th in rushing yards on a team that is pass 1st, I don't think that is to bad.
Did you just post a stat to debate against many people who have analized the games?

:goodposting: Ingram hasn't been that good since his soph year on the most dominant team in college football.
Lot's of hyperbole here.

Did you just post a stat to debate against many people who have analized the games?
Gross!

Yes I did. sometimes stats mean things, like for instance, if you have a team that throws the ball constantly, but still is in the top half of the league in rushing yards, that stat means something. oh yeah, and I have these things called eyes that lets me watch the games too. then there is this thing called common sense, maybe you have heard about it. well if you use it you can combine the 2 things to make a good assumption. any other questions ?

like for instance, if you have a team that throws the ball constantly, but still is in the top half of the league in rushing yards, that stat means something.
It means they are winning time of possession battles and running a lot of plays, not necessarily that they are a good running team on a down-to-down basis.

Gross!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

'Multiple Scores said:
Will be watching Trent Richardsons game tonight.Really not surprised Ingram is weak, he was the 2nd best back on his own college team.
why do people continually say this as if it means something for fantasy? Were people saying Hillis can't be any good last year since he was not as good as McFadden in college? 1 team can produce more than 1 good player

Last edited by a moderator:
'Multiple Scores said:
Will be watching Trent Richardsons game tonight.Really not surprised Ingram is weak, he was the 2nd best back on his own college team.
Not that Richardson is in any way relevant to this conversation. But if he were I might feel compelled to point out he is looking sluggish against a pretty crappy Tennessee team.

'Lester Long said:
'Team ROFLCOPTERS said:
'Lester Long said:
'Luke Skywalker said:
'Lester Long said:
Yes I did. sometimes stats mean things, like for instance, if you have a team that throws the ball constantly, but still is in the top half of the league in rushing yards, that stat means something. oh yeah, and I have these things called eyes that lets me watch the games too. then there is this thing called common sense, maybe you have heard about it. well if you use it you can combine the 2 things to make a good assumption. any other questions ?
You were just looking at stats or you would have added your own eyes to you side of the debate. If you really watched the games you would see that you are out to lunch. The line gets no push. NONE!!! I don't have a horse in this race but I watch the games. The only way there is assumptions is when you don't have all the facts. You're looking at stats and making assumptions on the rest. Throw the ball cosntantly and still high in rushing yards? "DO YOU EVEN WATCH FOOTBALL?".

'shnikies said:
'Team ROFLCOPTERS said:
'Lester Long said:
'Luke Skywalker said:
'Lester Long said:
Gross!
It's a dangerous sport. ;)

'Multiple Scores said:
Awesome. What else you got going on?

After declaring Ingram dead in redraft leagues... do I dare start him against the Colts' 30th ranked rush defense where the Saints will likely be playing from ahead?

He just keeps sucking me back in! :wall:

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'The Real Hipster Doofus said:

Poor or average combine? Clearly you're either lost or just hate him to hate him. Realize that you have to adjust for size/speed of the player. Ingram's numbers weren't bad. Just curious, but have you seen Ingram's TD runs this year? How do you explain those coming from a weak below average talent?

After declaring Ingram dead in redraft leagues... do I dare start him against the Colts' 30th ranked rush defense where the Saints will likely be playing from ahead?He just keeps sucking me back in! :wall:
If he can't produce this Sunday vs the Colts, it might be time to cut bait. I have seen every game and I will say the Oline is the problem, not Ingram. He is basically trying to run through the back of an Olineman because there is NO hole. His 2 TDs were because of his skills, especially the last one where he had no hole to run through so he bounced outside.I own him as wells as Sproles so I am holding out hope he starts producing. Olin Kruetz leaving should improve the run game. That guy was a turnstile. I am tempted to start Ingram over Sproles this week but I am playing in PPR so I am still undecided.

Seems like all those hyperventilating don't even own him.

He was a 3-5 round pick. If he broke you then you're not doing it right.

I drafted him thinking he could potentially bust out and be a top 15 RB with some upside. I also knew their was a considerable chance he busts due to Thomas and Sproles. What is surprising here?

He's still healthy and their is some upside unlike many drafted in his area.

Seems like all those hyperventilating don't even own him. He was a 3-5 round pick. If he broke you then you're not doing it right.I drafted him thinking he could potentially bust out and be a top 15 RB with some upside. I also knew their was a considerable chance he busts due to Thomas and Sproles. What is surprising here? He's still healthy and their is some upside unlike many drafted in his area.
If you drafted him in the 3-5 round is was a complete waste of a pick. Please tell me all your other expert picks you took around him so that you can afford to completely waste an early round pick each year just for the fun of it.

The New Orleans offensive line hasn't been good, but it certainly hasn't been 3.4ypc bad. It's still quite a bit better than that absolutely, utterly horrendous line that Minnesota rolls out there every week and Adrian Peterson is still averaging a full yard per carry more. Yeah, it's tough being compared to a guy like Adrian Peterson but Ingram is supposed to be that kind of elite talent that can produce behind a bad line.

What will the excuse be for the bum next week?First it was that his YPC was bad because of short yardage carries, that myth was debunked.Now it's all because of Kruetz.What is next weeks excuse? Can't wait to hear it.
How was the myth debunked?
It's not that difficult, really.He simply took out all of Ingram's carries in short yardage situations and his ypc only improved by 0.1.

Seems like all those hyperventilating don't even own him. He was a 3-5 round pick. If he broke you then you're not doing it right.I drafted him thinking he could potentially bust out and be a top 15 RB with some upside. I also knew their was a considerable chance he busts due to Thomas and Sproles. What is surprising here? He's still healthy and their is some upside unlike many drafted in his area.
If you drafted him in the 3-5 round is was a complete waste of a pick. Please tell me all your other expert picks you took around him so that you can afford to completely waste an early round pick each year just for the fun of it.
Lots of picks bust in each round. Welcome to fantasy football. He had big upside and using a 3-5 round pick on him was warranted.Sproles dissappointed last year in San Diego. Enough of this MMQBing about how good he was.It hasn't worked out. Happens. Talent evaluations at the time and situation warranted taking the risk. Draft for the upside.

FWIW

According to the FBG strength of schedule numbers, the Saints played the 22nd easiest RB schedule over the first six games, and will play the easiest RB schedule over the rest of the season.

Count me as a frustrated Ingram owner who's still hopeful he turns it around, starting tonight.

After declaring Ingram dead in redraft leagues... do I dare start him against the Colts' 30th ranked rush defense where the Saints will likely be playing from ahead?He just keeps sucking me back in! :wall:
:goodposting: Tell me about it. The potential of all those points is intoxicating, but even in his great matchups he's barely *not* disappointed me, as 10points has been his ceiling. I'm trying to resist starting him over Daniel Thomas, as this could easily turned into another 14/46/0 game even with (another) seemingly creampuff matchup. With 26 pages of dissection and analysis ( or is that "anal-ysis") I think it's time to bench this guy until we see something from him. If only Sig would stop ranking him as an RB2 every week.

This week Saint's game should be interesting if nothing else than Sean Payton is coaching from the press box. Lets see how he uses Ingram.

I have Ingram in two leagues (both at 5.09 in a 12 man league) and he has helped when I had to start him. So far, he's been good for 8-10 pts as a flex and has helped my teams to winning records. He's healthy in a year when it seems everyone is getting hurt, he runs hard, and should have some good games. Is he a every week starter... ummmmm not really, but he isn't a bust? IMO no. Plus, he's pretty fun to start as his potential for multiple td's is fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poor or average combine? Clearly you're either lost or just hate him to hate him. Realize that you have to adjust for size/speed of the player. Ingram's numbers weren't bad. Just curious, but have you seen Ingram's TD runs this year? How do you explain those coming from a weak below average talent?
2nd worst broad jumpWorst at Bench Press

4.62 40 yard dash

31.5 inch vertical which placed him 5th worst(which includes fullbacks)

It's not hate when it's facts.

Welcome to ignore. I have no use for someone who talks just to hear themselves. May the force be with you, take care.

'Multiple Scores said:
Not that Richardson is in any way relevant to this conversation. But if he were I might feel compelled to point out he is looking sluggish against a pretty crappy Tennessee team.

Welcome to ignore. I have no use for someone who talks just to hear themselves. May the force be with you, take care.

'Multiple Scores said:
Why are you ignoring him? Just Cuz?

Don't even go there Chief. Speak to Raider Nation, he will set you straight. I would have never tried anti-bullying of JC if I knew of the awful PMs he was sending out.

'Multiple Scores said:
Why are you ignoring him? Just Cuz?

Ingrams running plays are coming on running downs. when Sproles enters the game teams are expecting the pass so it is much easier to find room when you do run. you see this(better average per carry than the starter) alot with teams 3rd down backs.
Sproles splits:1st down 9-43 4.8ypc

2nd down 12-63 5.3 ypc

none of these carries with more than 10 to go for first.

I just wish they would use them more like NYG backfield for 1 game so I could get a better read on him. Let Ingram play a series and Sproles 2 or however, but this 1 play here and 1 play there is very hard to judge just how good/bad the guy is. I just don't see how anyone can proclaim he's a bust or a stud yet the way things are shaking out.

Not to hijack but Brees play has been a little questionable the last couple of games or is it just me?

Not to hijack but Brees play has been a little questionable the last couple of games or is it just me?
He's made a couple bad throws but it's mostly typical Brees interceptions - two popped right out of Meachem's hands, one deflected off Graham, one tipped at the line of scrimmage.The one on the rollout at the end of the Bucs game was brutal though.

The New Orleans offensive line hasn't been good, but it certainly hasn't been 3.4ypc bad. It's still quite a bit better than that absolutely, utterly horrendous line that Minnesota rolls out there every week and Adrian Peterson is still averaging a full yard per carry more. Yeah, it's tough being compared to a guy like Adrian Peterson but Ingram is supposed to be that kind of elite talent that can produce behind a bad line.

What will the excuse be for the bum next week?First it was that his YPC was bad because of short yardage carries, that myth was debunked.Now it's all because of Kruetz.What is next weeks excuse? Can't wait to hear it.
It's not that difficult, really.He simply took out all of Ingram's carries in short yardage situations and his ypc only improved by 0.1.
Every Saints RB has a poor YPC with the exception of Sproles, but Sproles carries are rarely typical run plays. Ingram's carries have all been obvious and vanilla running plays. Payton admitted it himself.

Every Saints RB has a poor YPC with the exception of Sproles, but Sproles carries are rarely typical run plays. Ingram's carries have all been obvious and vanilla running plays. Payton admitted it himself.
What would you define as a typical run play? Pretty sure Sproles is outperforming Ingram anyway you want to spin it.

What would you define as a typical run play? Pretty sure Sproles is outperforming Ingram anyway you want to spin it.
Sproles rarely gets a straight handoff. Most of his damage is being done on gadget plays and such. Comparing apples to apples, when Sproles does get a iso play or whatever he generally gets stuffed.

Sproles rarely gets a straight handoff. Most of his damage is being done on gadget plays and such. Comparing apples to apples, when Sproles does get a iso play or whatever he generally gets stuffed.
The subtitle of this thread should be The Excuse Bandwagon

The subtitle of this thread should be The Excuse Bandwagon
What excuses? All I'm saying is you can't justifiably compare the two. One is a between the tackles back, the other is a satellite player.It's not like I'm even invested in Ingram, I just watch all the games and felt I had some solid info to share. If that's not OK, then too bad.

:goodposting: Tell me about it. The potential of all those points is intoxicating, but even in his great matchups he's barely *not* disappointed me, as 10points has been his ceiling. I'm trying to resist starting him over Daniel Thomas, as this could easily turned into another 14/46/0 game even with (another) seemingly creampuff matchup. With 26 pages of dissection and analysis ( or is that "anal-ysis") I think it's time to bench this guy until we see something from him. If only Sig would stop ranking him as an RB2 every week.
Well... I can still bench him for Demarco Murray or Darren Sproles but I am still intoxicated by his potential. Hmmmm... what to do... :popcorn:

... and of course I don't pull the trigger on Murray and he starts off with a 91 yard TD run! :wall:
I played Daniel Thomas over him and am kicking myself. Still have a chance to bench Sproles for him....the larger backs seem to do well against IND. Must....resist.....

Users who are viewing this thread