What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (2 Viewers)

'matttyl said:
His coaching staff has/had the confidence in him to give him the first carry (the start), and the very last carry when the game was on the line. He'll have better outings, no doubt.
But they didn't trust him enough to be recorded saying his name and his alma mater with the other starters. Downgrade. :thumbdown:

'HPD said:
Ingram looked good. Giving the ball to Sproles on the 5 to run up the middle was a mistake. Not running the ball on 4th and inches in the red zone - mistake. Not getting that last play TD was completely on the OL, not Ingram. GB's DL surged a couple yards into the backfield when the ball was snapped.

Ingram will be fine.
The way you guys second guess the coaches play calling cracks me up. Everytime a play doesn't work - you would have done the opposite. It must be great to be so infallible. How about you make the call before it is actually run instead of chiming in after it is done? All of a suddenly, Sean Payton is the new Brad Childress. He can't do anything right.

'HPD said:
Ingram looked good. Giving the ball to Sproles on the 5 to run up the middle was a mistake. Not running the ball on 4th and inches in the red zone - mistake. Not getting that last play TD was completely on the OL, not Ingram. GB's DL surged a couple yards into the backfield when the ball was snapped.

Ingram will be fine.
The way you guys second guess the coaches play calling cracks me up. Everytime a play doesn't work - you would have done the opposite. It must be great to be so infallible. How about you make the call before it is actually run instead of chiming in after it is done? All of a suddenly, Sean Payton is the new Brad Childress. He can't do anything right.
Not sure how someone could make the call before the play was run here on the forums, should they be sitting there on the cpu while the game is being played and quickly type what they think should be run before they snap the ball? I'm sure I'm not in the minority in agreeing here that on the 4th and inches play going to Ingram would have been the right call, and I said it before the play was run, after Brees turned it over on downs, and am saying it now.

'HPD said:

Ingram will be fine.
Not sure how someone could make the call before the play was run here on the forums, should they be sitting there on the cpu while the game is being played and quickly type what they think should be run before they snap the ball? I'm sure I'm not in the minority in agreeing here that on the 4th and inches play going to Ingram would have been the right call, and I said it before the play was run, after Brees turned it over on downs, and am saying it now.
Yes. Why not?

The sharks are out in my league. I was just offered Jordy Nelson for Ingram (no PPR).

I'd be interested to see what other offers/trades people are getting for him.

'HPD said:

Ingram will be fine.
Yes. Why not?
Personally I prefer to focus on and enjoy the game, not come on the boards and try to play Nostradamus. Doesn't mean someone can't vocalize their opinion about a play afterwards. Speaking for myself even if they converted that play I still think on 4th and inches with a back like Ingram who up to that point had done nothing but fall forward after first contact that its a no brainer to go to him in that situation. Just because someone is an NFL coach doesn't mean their decision making is perfect.

'HPD said:

Ingram will be fine.
Yes. Why not?
Yea, I was on another forum at that moment saying they should PA fake to Graham in the flat... which happened to work later in the 4th quarter.

The sharks are out in my league. I was just offered Jordy Nelson for Ingram (no PPR).I'd be interested to see what other offers/trades people are getting for him.
Based on the negativity in this thread and the game time thread, I offered Jacobs and Randall Cobb in a return yardage league :P I think it's laughable, but if people really think Ingram is going to go for ~800 yards and maybe 8-9 TDs based on one game, I think Jacobs can easily best that and if you overreact on Ingram, why not overreact on Cobb in the opposite direction.I'm expecting a quick rejection, but like I said, based on the chicken littles in this thread and the other one.... the problem is, I can't tell whether any of the negative people actually own Ingram in a FF league.

I'll say it again: it was his first game against the best d in re league. He will be fine
Agreed - if anything it was better than I was hoping. I knew PT and Sproles weren't just gonna roll over for him, but I liked how he got the lion's share (even though in this shoot out there were so few total run plays called), he got the first carry, and the final game-deciding carry. And he looked tough. Payton wants him to succeed and Payton will want to get more balanced - loosing to GB in a shootout will just reinforce that need for balance. Ingram = :thumbup:

I understand the decision to give the ball to Ingram at the goal line but the better call would have been to go with Pierre Thomas.

I understand the decision to give the ball to Ingram at the goal line but the better call would have been to go with Pierre Thomas.
Where was Thomas going? There was nowhere to go...Packers line just smothered the line

Where was Thomas going? There was nowhere to go...Packers line just smothered the line
Right. But if Ingram had moved the ball 18 inches further, every one would have been talking about how the Saints had found their bell cow, their power back, blah blah blah.Every great running back gets stuffed sometime.

Right. But if Ingram had moved the ball 18 inches further, every one would have been talking about how the Saints had found their bell cow, their power back, blah blah blah.Every great running back gets stuffed sometime.
Ehh, I would hope any fan of the game would realize that the lines have more to do with short yardage situations than the back

I like Ingram as much as the next guy, but certainly not to the level of say an Adrian Peterson.

As much well deserved hype as ADP got when entering the league, and I wasn't crazy about the level of that hype at the time either, I don't remember any "Hall of Fame" taglines on his threads prior to even playing in an NFL game...

Funny thing is I don't think Ingram's hype is anywhere near the same as Peterson's was, yet here we are after just one very modest game in the books and this thread is approaching double digit page counts.

And here I am, like a moth to the flame, commenting/posting on it. :wall:

Well played, Shader(OP), well played...

Colston out 4 weeks with a broken collarbone. Sounds like more carries for Ingram me thinks.
me thinks more 8 in the box for Ingram with your best WR out 4+ weeks. I see more passing attempts as everyone will try stop the running game with Colston out

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is quite interesting. Let's take Ingram out of the equation and look at him as a generic RB2:

1. The opposing team shredded their defense in the first 3 drives.

2. They were playing from behind nearly 60 minutes.

3. The opposing defensive line OWNED the offensive line.

4. The RB2 was trusted to pound in the rock on the last play of the game even after the Oline had struggled.

5. The opposing team were playing their first game at home after WINNING THE SUPER BOWL.

I am an Ingram owner and knew better than to start him in an away game that was destined to be a shootout with two elite QBs. Most of the FF analysts agreed that he would have a tough time in this circumstance. Any RB2 in this situation would likely be riding the pine, but it seems there are a lot of Ingram owners who ignored the pros W1 projections and had to roll the dice on Ingram getting a TD (which the head coach tried his best to get you).

Last night validated for me that the HC fully trusts this guy, and he will be given every chance to succeed.

The way you guys second guess the coaches play calling cracks me up. Everytime a play doesn't work - you would have done the opposite. It must be great to be so infallible. How about you make the call before it is actually run instead of chiming in after it is done?

All of a sudden, Sean Payton is the new Brad Childress. He can't do anything right.
The really obnoxious part of this is that New Orleans did pass in that situation earlier in the game and everyone was screaming "why didn't they just run it with Ingram there?!?" Then when they do run it with Ingram in that situation, everyone screams "why didn't they pass it there?!?".Bottom line is regardless of whether they ran or passed, people would have said it was a great decision if it worked and it was a horrible decision if it didn't. Can you imagine what this board would have looked like if they had passed there and failed to convert? People would be going absolutely insane over them having two plays to gain a yard in the 4th quarter and not giving either of them to Ingram. We'd have seen "why did they even draft Ingram anyway, they don't even know how to use him" like 450 times.

Even Mike and Mike were getting in on the fun. The next morning Mike 1 was saying "I just feel like a play action bootleg in that situation always works. I don't think I've ever seen someone run a bootleg in a short yardage situation like that and have it not work".

Apparently, he forgot about what happened 10 minutes ago in the same game when New Orleans had a 4th and 1 from inside the 10 and ran a bootleg that resulted in Brees running 20 yards backwards before finally throwing the ball into the ground. Sports fans have the shortest memories in the world.

The way you guys second guess the coaches play calling cracks me up. Everytime a play doesn't work - you would have done the opposite. It must be great to be so infallible. How about you make the call before it is actually run instead of chiming in after it is done?

All of a sudden, Sean Payton is the new Brad Childress. He can't do anything right.
The really obnoxious part of this is that New Orleans did pass in that situation earlier in the game and everyone was screaming "why didn't they just run it with Ingram there?!?" Then when they do run it with Ingram in that situation, everyone screams "why didn't they pass it there?!?".Bottom line is regardless of whether they ran or passed, people would have said it was a great decision if it worked and it was a horrible decision if it didn't. Can you imagine what this board would have looked like if they had passed there and failed to convert? People would be going absolutely insane over them having two plays to gain a yard in the 4th quarter and not giving either of them to Ingram. We'd have seen "why did they even draft Ingram anyway, they don't even know how to use him" like 450 times.

Even Mike and Mike were getting in on the fun. The next morning Mike 1 was saying "I just feel like a play action bootleg in that situation always works. I don't think I've ever seen someone run a bootleg in a short yardage situation like that and have it not work".

Apparently, he forgot about what happened 10 minutes ago in the same game when New Orleans had a 4th and 1 from inside the 10 and ran a bootleg that resulted in Brees running 20 yards backwards before finally throwing the ball into the ground. Sports fans have the shortest memories in the world.
Unless I missed it noone is screaming they should have passed, just stating it wasn't on Ingram that they didn't convert, that it was on the o-line. I've already said regardless of the outcome, I think on both of those plays going to Ingram would have been/was the right decision, and from what I've read the majority here share that sentiment.

this is a rbbc right now after the kid's first nfl game ever. the way payton gave ingram the ball in the situations he did should make ingram owners optimistic there will be opportunity over the course of the season for him to get most of the carries and goalline work. i'd be more pissed at sproles than pierre stealing touches.

:goodposting: I was listening to them as well.

Did Ingram do anything all night that made GB think about him catching the ball out of the backfield? Defending a pass to the RB, or actually making that play, may have had a different outcome.

Anybody starting him this week? Seems like another tough matchup
I am starting him. Turner burned Chicago, and even subtracting the long run (for those that like to do that), he averaged over 5 YPC for the game. New Orleans is similarly dangerous in the passing game like Atlanta, so I expect Chicago to sell out to stop the pass. I expect a good week from Ingram.

Probably. It's between him and DeAngelo Williams as my RB2s and both hold the fine distinction of underperforming last week while having tough matchups this week.

I'm holding my nose when I hit the "submit lineup" button and hoping for the best.

It's either him or Lynch as my #2 RB, sad as it is Ingram is a no brainer for me this weekThis is one situation where listening to FBG may really hurt me, I just don't see NO not using all three RBs on an every game basis, hopefully Ingram gets plenty of GL TDs

as of now i have him benched for starks. i would like to see a good game out of him though, maybe 4.0 ypc and a touch. we can't expect much more out of him at this point. he would need 2 td's to have a 'great' game. anyone have a different ceiling?

i agree the key is NO getting the lead and running clock

I think the key is NO getting a lead. Playing catchup will be Pierre/Sproles. Against weaker opponents Ingram will be turned loose a little more.
This is basically what I'm thinking as well. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get close to 20 carries in games where NO is up and killing time late... and then around half of that in the games where NO is playing from behind.

RBBC is here to stay. Anyone expecting anything different is an Ingram owner.
If that RBBC includes 18-20 carries per game, I'm fine with that. He had 13 when they were down all game, next closest was Pierre at 5. The Saints will be leading games a lot this year, which will equal a heavier dose of Ingram. I imagine he finishes somewhere around RB12-15.

the one worrisome thing is the Saints defense has looked dreadful. Hopefully that doesnt mean a lot of shootouts.

'shadyridr said:
If I didn't have Starks I'd start him. It's still even money he busts it open against Chicago. Turner had a decent day. Ingram is going to be special RB. He's not Peterson, but he's the closest thing we've seen come out to Peterson.

Users who are viewing this thread