What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Zuckerberg, just a totally normal noncandidate doing normal noncandidate things (3 Viewers)

People should be very, very concerned about the idea of this guy running for President. Facebook has already demonstrated they have no problem censoring opposing views or invading your privacy. No way this guy should see the White House. 

ren ho3k, what's your problem with Mark Zuckerberg?  I know what my problem with him, but I also have a problem with aspiring dictator types like Trump, that you obviously didn't at least at one point in time.  So what principles lead you to say yes to Trump but no to Zuckerberg?  Or am I reading this whole thing wrong?  You gonna back Zuck? (I didn't say vote for)

People should be very, very concerned about the idea of this guy running for President. Facebook has already demonstrated they have no problem censoring opposing views or invading your privacy. No way this guy should see the White House. 
I don't support his candidacy, but this is terrible logic. Facebook is a private company. This is like saying that someone who owned a restaurant should never be president because they've already demonstrated that they have no problem seizing exorbitant amounts of money from people in exchange for sustenance and discriminating against people who wear flip-flops or offensive t-shirts.

People should be very, very concerned about the idea of this guy running for President. Donald Trump, Inc has already demonstrated they have no problem violating the civil rights of African Americans. No way this guy should see the White House. 

ren ho3k, what's your problem with Mark Zuckerberg?  I know what my problem with him, but I also have a problem with aspiring dictator types like Trump, that you obviously didn't at least at one point in time.  So what principles lead you to say yes to Trump but no to Zuckerberg?  Or am I reading this whole thing wrong?  You gonna back Zuck? (I didn't say vote for)
Trump clowned the establishment.  That's why I liked him.  I didn't vote for him but there are parts of his policies that were much more palatable than the alternative.  Plus it was funny.

Zuckerberg is like a plastic robot.  The bland rhetoric about 'connecting the world' comes across very superficial and patronizing.  I don't fault him for founding a wildly successful social media empire that people voluntarily give their personal lives to.  But in lieu of him having no discernible position on anything, or basic sense of humanity, he appears more like a sociopath who is bored of being a billionaire than a well-meaning plutocrat.  

Trump clowned the establishment.  That's why I liked him.  I didn't vote for him but there are parts of his policies that were much more palatable than the alternative.  Plus it was funny.

Zuckerberg is like a plastic robot.  The bland rhetoric about 'connecting the world' comes across very superficial and patronizing.  I don't fault him for founding a wildly successful social media empire that people voluntarily give their personal lives to.  But in lieu of him having no discernible position on anything, or basic sense of humanity, he appears more like a sociopath who is bored of being a billionaire than a well-meaning plutocrat.  
I don't think he's gonna run, but I suppose if he does, the question people will be asking is what his intentions and sincerity are.  I think usually a long campaign will reveal that.

I don't support his candidacy, but this is terrible logic. Facebook is a private company. This is like saying that someone who owned a restaurant should never be president because they've already demonstrated that they have no problem seizing exorbitant amounts of money from people in exchange for sustenance and discriminating against people who wear flip-flops or offensive t-shirts.
Sorry my friend, but he is a guy who is at the head of a company that has no problem accessing the audio/video on your phone without your knowledge. Extremely naive if you think he isn't already using your private data for his gain. It only gets worse if  he runs for office. Trump has been roasted for his business ties. Zuck is much, much worse.

People should be very, very concerned about the idea of this guy running for President. Donald Trump, Inc has already demonstrated they have no problem violating the civil rights of African Americans. No way this guy should see the White House. 
Do you have an original thought here?

Sorry my friend, but he is a guy who is at the head of a company that has no problem accessing the audio/video on your phone without your knowledge. Extremely naive if you think he isn't already using your private data for his gain. It only gets worse if  he runs for office. Trump has been roasted for his business ties. Zuck is much, much worse.
I'm aware they have access to data about me. I voluntarily give it to them by using their service. If you don't like it don't use the service.  

And LOL at the bolded. Even setting aside the sketchy stuff with Russian mobsters, we know he was sued for DOJ for racial discrimination, settled, then got sued again for violating the terms of the settlement, to cite one of many terrible examples of his business practices. And he didn't get roasted for it at all.  His opponent's email usage got literally hundreds of times more coverage than any of his business problems, including the racism.

By the way I'll offer odds that if he runs in the Dem primary he'll lose. Make me an offer.

Of course I initially thought Republicans were way too smart to fall for something like Trump, so what do I know. 

I'm aware they have access to data about me. I voluntarily give it to them by using their service. If you don't like it don't use the service.  

And LOL at the bolded. Even setting aside the sketchy stuff with Russian mobsters, we know he was sued for DOJ for racial discrimination, settled, then got sued again for violating the terms of the settlement, to cite one of many terrible examples of his business practices. And he didn't get roasted for it at all.  His opponent's email usage got literally hundreds of times more coverage than any of his business problems, including the racism.
I don't use Facebook. I'm transitioning away from Google. Pretty clear the reasons why I think people should do that. And frankly, more people should be paying attention to what they do with their personal data. The fact that these companies know more about me than the Government should be concerning to everyone. What is your privacy worth?

The fact that the head of one of these companies, that controls this data, is considering a run for office, should be concerning to everyone. 

Fact is, many people go to Facebook to 'get their news.' When that news can be controlled by a candidate, do you think that's a good thing? When that candidate knows your hot buttons better than anyone, can tailor the message better than anyone, can control the narrative better than anyone? That is cause for concern. 

Do you think he would ignore the treasure trove of personal data he has if he decides to run? Or, do you think he'll leverage it?

I don't use Facebook. I'm transitioning away from Google. Pretty clear the reasons why I think people should do that. And frankly, more people should be paying attention to what they do with their personal data. The fact that these companies know more about me than the Government should be concerning to everyone. What is your privacy worth?

The fact that the head of one of these companies, that controls this data, is considering a run for office, should be concerning to everyone. 

Fact is, many people go to Facebook to 'get their news.' When that news can be controlled by a candidate, do you think that's a good thing? When that candidate knows your hot buttons better than anyone, can tailor the message better than anyone, can control the narrative better than anyone? That is cause for concern. 

Do you think he would ignore the treasure trove of personal data he has if he decides to run? Or, do you think he'll leverage it?
I'm sure he's use it, just like the Mercers and Cambridge Analytic did for Trump.

The concerns you raise are good issues to raise and people should be aware of them, but ultimately it's a voluntary service. There's no free speech or privacy issues there IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a White Nationalist version of Facebook?  Serious question.  I just learned there is a White Nationalist version of Patreon.  If you can believe it,, they call it Hatreon.  With Cloudfare firing some White Nationalists as their clients, I see a vacuum in some hate technology.  I can easily imagine a racist version of Facebook, Twitter, maybe a search engine or two.

That hearing was completely ridiculous. None of those Senators, from either party, appeared to have any knowledge whatsoever of how Facebook works. My daughter could have asked better questions.

I have no idea if Zuckerberg is guilty of anything, or innocent, if Facebook needs to be regulated in some manner or not. But I certainly don't trust these idiotic clowns to decide. What a complete waste of time and taxpayer money.

Al Franken should have never been asked to resign.  Guys like him who understand technology would have been beneficial during this hearing.  What a shame.

I'm switching all of my social media over to Pied Piper's internet cell phone network.

edit: Crap, I just now caught up to Silicon Valley, I bet that joke has already been made.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really figured it was over for Zucc when the CA stuff started to surface.

These congressional morons revived his political aspirations in a way no national campaign ever could.  He looked like a brilliant steward of technology talking to out of touch booomers.  

"Senator, I...." 

What was your most memorable encounter with Zuckerberg?
Well, there was a year when he was only eating what he was killing. He made goat for me for dinner. He killed the goat.

In front of you?
No. He killed it before. I guess he kills it. He kills it with a laser gun and then the knife. Then they send it to the butcher.

A . . . laser gun?
I don’t know. A stun gun. They stun it, and then he knifed it. Then they send it to a butcher. Evidently in Palo Alto there’s a rule or regulation that you can have six livestock on any lot of land, so he had six goats at the time. I go, “We’re eating the goat you killed?” He said, “Yeah.” I said, “Have you eaten goat before?” He’s like, “Yeah, I love it.” I’m like, “What else are we having?” “Salad.” I said, “Where is the goat?” “It’s in the oven.” Then we waited for about 30 minutes. He’s like, “I think it’s done now.” We go in the dining room. He puts the goat down. It was cold. That was memorable. I don’t know if it went back in the oven. I just ate my salad.
- RS

Love the people acting like this was some huge conspiracy theory.  You really think this humanoid multibillionaire was out there milking cows and putting on hard hats so he could better understand the plebeians?  

Users who are viewing this thread