What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (1 Viewer)

I have 3 leagues, and I drafted him in all 3.....he was there in mid to late rounds, and screamed value as a RB4 with upside

No clue what to do with him bc of the Monday night game.  Might sit him for asj, Godwin or Lockett.  
We should have a better idea after today's practice. It sounds like he is likely to play but I'm not expecting a big game. I may just go with Crowell. 

It's a concern, but Lynch averaged 13.8 rushes/game last year for the Raiders so it's not like he was a bell cow with the majority of carries to begin with. A groin is indeed worrisome, but if I am a betting man, I'm placing my money on being limited to not exacerbate rather than an issue that's going to severely hamper his attempts. 

Martin also missed practice with a knee injury. While this definitely means even more reps for Richard and Washington, I don't think it means Lynch's carries are going to plummet. They may need him on short yardage and early down situations as the hammer without Martin.

I'd adjust his avg/game downwards to about 8 or 9, with 40-45 yards and about a 25-30% shot at a TD. 

The real worry is that the Rams D is ferocious, especially up front -- dinged or not, I'd be looking at other RB2/Flex options this week other than Lynch. Again, I hope you have better options, but I think Richard may make for a sneaky PPR upside flex play given that the Raiders are going to need to leverage a lot of PA, screens, and other misdirections where Richard (whom I like a little better than De'Andre Washington in this regard) can get some work. The Raiders will need to try play non-traditional against this Rams D, who arguable have the best secondary and front line in the NFL, but can be attacked in the midfield with wheels, screens, and PAs.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a concern, but Lynch averaged 13.8 rushes/game last year for the Raiders so it's not like he was a bell cow with the majority of carries to begin with. A groin is indeed worrisome, but if I am a betting man, I'm placing my money on being limited to not exacerbate rather than an issue that's going to severely hamper his attempts. 

Martin also missed practice with a knee injury. While this definitely means even more reps for Richard and Washington, I don't think it means Lynch's carries are going to plummet. They may need him on short yardage and early down situations as the hammer without Martin.

I'd adjust his avg/game downwards to about 8 or 9, with 40-45 yards and about a 25-30% shot at a TD. 

The real worry is that the Rams D is ferocious, especially up front -- dinged or not, I'd be looking at other RB2/Flex options this week other than Lynch. Again, I hope you have better options, but I think Richard may make for a sneaky PPR upside flex play given that the Raiders are going to need to leverage a lot of PA, screens, and other misdirections where Richard (whom I like a little better than De'Andre Washington in this regard) can get some work. The Raiders will need to try play non-traditional against this Rams D, who arguable have the best secondary and front line in the NFL, but can be attacked in the midfield with wheels, screens, and PAs.
good post!

Where did you see this? Did you mean Washington missed with the knee issue?
APOLOGIES!  Yes, I think you are 100% right, it was Washington that missed practice, not Martin, great catch and sorry about that! Great catch.

Amending my post then, but not meaningfullty -- I still don't think Marshawn is too limited -- groin is an issue but this is recent and I think he Lynch plays through. 8-9 carries is still very reasonable even if he's dinged, but may downgrade his yardage to 35-40, same TD shot. Again, the big difference here is that healthy or not, Rams front line is the biggest issue.

And only makes my point about Richard more salient for the gamblers in PPR. 

APOLOGIES!  Yes, I think you are 100% right, it was Washington that missed practice, not Martin, great catch and sorry about that! Great catch.

Amending my post then, but not meaningfullty -- I still don't think Marshawn is too limited -- groin is an issue but this is recent and I think he Lynch plays through. 8-9 carries is still very reasonable even if he's dinged, but may downgrade his yardage to 35-40, same TD shot. Again, the big difference here is that healthy or not, Rams front line is the biggest issue.

And only makes my point about Richard more salient for the gamblers in PPR. 
No worries, and thanks for claryfing.

I'm operating from a different stance than most right now w/re: to Lynch. I'm debating dropping him altogether. I won't be starting him against the Lambs either way, but if Martin were hurt it might alter my thought process for later matchups as they pertain to the keep Marshawn or punt proposition. I hate groin injuries, especially for 32-yr-old RBs. I just wonder if this could be a minor non-issue that Gruden is hamming to gain a psychological advatage week 1.

No worries, and thanks for claryfing.

I'm operating from a different stance than most right now w/re: to Lynch. I'm debating dropping him altogether. I won't be starting him against the Lambs either way, but if Martin were hurt it might alter my thought process for later matchups as they pertain to the keep Marshawn or punt proposition. I hate groin injuries, especially for 32-yr-old RBs. I just wonder if this could be a minor non-issue that Gruden is hamming to gain a psychological advatage week 1.
had Lynch last year in a few leagues.  Huge disappointment 1st half of the year as they just didn't use him much.   By the time the 2nd half of the year came I was so down on him that I couldn't start him, then I got burned.  I don't like this matchup.  Without a TD from him it's loserville.  IMO

Struggling bw Lynch and guysnlike herojimo Allison, Godwin, ASJ, Anthony Miller in my flex.  Standard scoring.  I think the matchup and the groun has scared me off him for week 1.  

Struggling bw Lynch and guysnlike herojimo Allison, Godwin, ASJ, Anthony Miller in my flex.  Standard scoring.  I think the matchup and the groun has scared me off him for week 1.  
Wrong forum and you're trading a known commodity for what's behind door #3. Good luck.

Only 11 carries.  Without that TD he has a bad bad week.  the offense is a mess, I'd drop his value quite a bit after today.  Expect a lot of 15 for 60 and no TD type games.

Only 11 carries.  Without that TD he has a bad bad week.  the offense is a mess, I'd drop his value quite a bit after today.  Expect a lot of 15 for 60 and no TD type games.
You do realize he was playing the rams rt?  Maybe the one defense in the league comparable to JAX.  

Marshawn Lynch rushed for 41 yards and one touchdown on 11 carries and caught both targets for eight yards in the Raiders' Week 1 loss to the Rams.

Lynch was limited in practice over the weekend but appeared to be his normal self once the whistle blew. He capped the Raiders' first drive with a bulldozing run to secure his first and only touchdown of the evening. In a better game script, he likely would have played more (and continued to dominate). Jalen Richard was needed on passing downs in the second half, finishing with 79 total yards on 14 touches. If the Raiders can keep close to their competition at any point this season, Lynch has a chance to be utilized as a true workhorse.

Sep 11 - 6:58 AM

It's Gruden, so who knows what will happen, but I really didn't see anything impressive out of Richard, even in the passing game. Lynch should get more touches.

You do realize he was playing the rams rt?  Maybe the one defense in the league comparable to JAX.  
I do, but he still only got 11 carries.  I don't see this offense being a high scoring one that he's going to get 20 touches a game in.

by RotoWire Staff
(5 hrs ago) Raiders head coach Jon Gruden said Lynch "had a little bout of sickness" after the team's initial offensive drive in Monday's 33-13 loss to the Rams, Paul Gutierrez of ESPN.com reports.

The unspecified illness at least partially explains why Lynch handled only 11 carries in the season opener, less than half of the team's total of 23. Assuming he makes a full recovery from the ailment, Lynch will most likely take on a larger portion of the backfield workload in Week 2 against the Broncos, but due to the limited time off between games, it wouldn't be surprising if his practice reps were managed carefully early in the week.

Gets. ####. Done. 

Producing better than any other RB in the 4-6 round range off the top of my head. He was drafted as my RB5 but with Henry being droppable and Howard’s inconsistency he is close to my #3. 
I thought Lynch's draft ADP was around RB25, he was your RB5?  Also if he was in the round 4 to 6, did you draft RB in 5 of 1st 6 rounds?

Lynch looked really good especially in OT.

Marshawn Lynch (shoulder) returned to practice on Thursday.

Lynch was just getting a breather on Wednesday. He'll be fine to play his normal snaps Sunday against the Chargers. The 32-year-old has already put up 300 rushing yards this year, which ranks fourth in the league behind only Ezekiel Elliott, Todd Gurley and Matt Breida.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Oct 4 - 4:34 PM

Marshawn Lynch rushed 13 times for 45 yards and caught 3-of-5 targets for 14 yards in the Raiders' Week 6 loss to Seattle.

It was a frustrating day for the entire Raiders' offense, which would have gotten shut out if not for a garbage-time field goal to "cut the deficit" to 27-3. Lynch has been Oakland's best offensive player, but he has been boom or bust in fantasy because the Raiders have too often found themselves in negative game script. Lynch now draws a Week 7 bye to rest his 32-year-old legs.

Oct 14 - 4:00 PM

just saw on twitter that he may have a groin injury that may keep him out for a while....who's the backup to pickup?

Vic Tafur‏Verified account @VicTafur

Gruden says he is concerned about Marshawn Lynch’s groin strain. Could be long term. He is getting checked out this week. #Raiders

1:03 PM - 16 Oct 2018

Raiders coach Jon Gruden admits the team is concerned about Marshawn Lynch's groin injury, and that it could be a long-term issue.

Yikes. It sounds like Lynch will be seeing some doctors during the Raiders' Week 7 bye. Ageless Lynch has a been rare bright spot for Jon Gruden's unmitigated disaster of a team so far this season. His loss would be massive on offense. Although Jalen Richard is catching a ton of passes, Doug Martin is the next man up for Lynch's role.

Source: Vic Tafur on Twitter 

Oct 16 - 4:06 PM

It’s gotta be Martin on early downs and richard stays in his role.  Don’t forget that Gruden hand picked Martin this offseason rt?  

It’s gotta be Martin on early downs and richard stays in his role.  Don’t forget that Gruden hand picked Martin this offseason rt?  
That may be the case, but if Doug gets more carries, the offense will suck even more. If the offense sucks even more, they'll be behind even faster. When the raiders are behind, they target Richard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week I was all fired up over Beast Mode, this week the flame is out because of a bye. The following week with news of a more serious groin injury doesn't sound encouraging. I had  to drop Lynch this morning and picked up Marlon Mack, certainly not a sexy pick. Lynch to FA. How quickly the tides turn.

That may be the case, but if Doug gets more carries, the offense will suck even more. If the offense sucks even more, they'll be behind even faster. When the raiders are behind, they target Richard.
Martin can actually catch the ball. I don't think it is a given that Richard gets that portion of the load exclusively.

Martin can actually catch the ball. I don't think it is a given that Richard gets that portion of the load exclusively.
He hasn't been very good at catching or running the last 2.5 years. I think Richard will continue to be the primary passing back, and they'll use him more since the run game will be less effective without Lynch.

Users who are viewing this thread