What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch -- "I'm here so I won't get fined" (1 Viewer)

I think Richard looks more explosive and brings more to the table overall than the current version of Doug Martin. I’d LOVE to see Richard get a starter's workload for a few games to see how it works out. 

Week 9 at the soonest. Maybe 10 if it’s 8 games vs 8 weeks he has to miss.
It’s a shame but I’m pretty sure he’s not eligible to return this season as he wasn’t on the initial 53. 

Not even sure that he has an injury and I didn’t see any specifics. Seemed like they just wanted to stash him.

It’s a shame but I’m pretty sure he’s not eligible to return this season as he wasn’t on the initial 53. 

Not even sure that he has an injury and I didn’t see any specifics. Seemed like they just wanted to stash him.
Ah, maybe not.  I was just going by the IR rule in general.  

Raiders placed RB Marshawn Lynch (groin) on injured reserve.

Lynch is officially out of commission until Week 16 at soonest, although he has undoubtedly played his final down in Oakland. The tanking Raiders had no use for Lynch, and will move forward with Doug Martin, Jalen Richard, and DeAndre Washington. Lynch's tenure in Oakland certainly fell short of his personal hopes, but his on-field performance was quietly excellent. He was the Raiders' best offensive player from midway through the 2017 season up until his 2018 groin injury. We suspect Lynch will retire for good at age 32. He is not under contract for 2019
One of my favorite players to watch.

IR related question I'm hoping someone can answer.

Can he be released while on IR and if so is he eligible to sign and play with another team before his 8 week IR timeframe?  I understand Lynch might rather just retire but wondering if this is even possible.

I'm asking because I'm not sure his injury is one that takes 8 weeks to recover and if Raiders really had interest in him playing later this year they'd have put him on IR before Sunday instead of burning another week waiting for today.

This is correct - placed on IR Sept 2nd. Rule states two players can come back from IR after 8 weeks if they are part of the 53 man roster Week 1.

DeAndre Washington was the guy who made the final 53, and I think that the Raiders will bring him back. 

Will be a muddy 3 man rotation if/when. Martin for early/short, rotating Richard and Washington on series unless someone clearly separates themselves.

Still think Richard is the guy who is most productive with carries and has the best shot to emerge. But until that happens, opportunity may be much more limited with Washington in the mix, as he can also be used in run and pas downs like Richard. Only so many touches in a pass-from-behind offense.

If this is it for Lynch, I hope he gets remembered as being pretty good in Oakland. He was still a top-15 NFL RB, just didn't have the fantasy numbers, due to lack of work.

Marshawn Lynch (groin) is ineligible to come off injured reserve after the Raiders used their second "return" designation on RT Donald Penn.

Lynch would have been eligible to return to game action in Week 16. The 32-year-old back has played his final down in Oakland and quite possibly the final down of his career. It's been a long, strange and productive trip if that's the case. Headed to free agency, Lynch will be free to sign with whomever he likes if he chooses to continue playing.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Dec 6 - 5:22 PM

Love Lynch. Was the heartbeat of the team during his Seattle stint with quite a few legendary moments on the field. 

Many great stories of him helping people out up here as well.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden is unsure if impending free agent Marshawn Lynch intends to play in 2019.

Lynch was limited to six games by a groin/core muscle injury in 2018. He was running reasonably well for a terrible offense before going down. Lynch has averaged 4.26 yards per carry since returning in 2017 and arguably been more impressive from an "eye test" perspective. He turns 33 in April.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Jan 22 - 1:43 PM

Raiders GM Mike Mayock said Marshawn Lynch will make a decision about his future following the draft.

"We have a big question at running back," Mayock stated. "Both parties have to wait for the draft and see what happens there." With Lynch and Doug Martin on the open market, the Raiders are currently set to head into camp with elusive pass-catcher Jalen Richard, 2016 fifth-rounder DeAndre Washington, 2018 preseason rushing-leader Chris Warren, and practice squad-filler James Butler in their backfield. Although the team will likely address that need in the draft, it wouldn't be shocking to see Lynch return to the Blackhole now that the team is set to play one more year in Oakland.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Mar 25, 2019, 1:49 PM

Is Marshawn Lynch a Hall of Famer?

Saw a couple Reddit posts on this and was kind of shocked the consensus was NO.

Surprising because not only did he post 10K rushing with 5 Pro Bowls, he was clutch in the postseason - average over 85 yards per game with 9 TDs in 11 playoff games.

Plus some of the most memorable runs in the history of the NFL.

What do you guys think? Are we just looking for compiler numbers when we judge if a player is a HoFer?

Is Marshawn Lynch a Hall of Famer?

Saw a couple Reddit posts on this and was kind of shocked the consensus was NO.

Surprising because not only did he post 10K rushing with 5 Pro Bowls, he was clutch in the postseason - average over 85 yards per game with 9 TDs in 11 playoff games.

Plus some of the most memorable runs in the history of the NFL.

What do you guys think? Are we just looking for compiler numbers when we judge if a player is a HoFer?
I'm not sure it's shocking a lot of people are against enshrinement. 

Argument for:

29th overall in yards; 16th in TDs.

5x Pro Bowl (1 First Team All Pro, 1 Second Team All Pro).

2x NFL rush TD champ.

1 SB win (should have been 2 if Carroll wasn't so danged stubborn). 937 yards 9 TDs in 11 playoff games, 6 of which he ran for over 100 yards.

One of the most memorable runs in playoff history.

One of the most unique personalities ever to play in the pros.

The argument against: 

Plenty of prolific rushers have more yards than Beastmode but are not in the HOF (Edge James, Warrick Dunn, Fred Taylor, Tiki Barber, Stephen Jackson, and many more). Lot of players with many more yards from scrimmage and total yards/TDs not in the Hall either (Watters, Ottis Anderson, Corey Dillon, etc).

A few RBs have more yards from scrimmage and many more accolades and still aren't in the HOF - Roger Craig for one, and Eddie George another.

My verdict:

None of these other guys caused an earthquake with their running. That alone deserves enshrinement. 

2 of his 5 Pro Bowls are the fake kind where he was brought in as an alternate after someone dropped out.

His peak was a 4 year stretch in Seattle, 2011-14. Lots of other recent players have had a similarly good stretch - Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, Chris Johnson.

I'd put Lynch behind Charles and McCoy, and also Gore.

Foster vs. Lynch is an interesting comparison. During the Seattle years (2010-15) Foster was a better RB than Lynch, but Foster did almost nothing outside of those years while Lynch compiled some decent seasons in Buffalo & Oakland.

If the HOF judged...WOW!...then Lynch would be a lock.  But, it's not other than Gale Sayers, but.....he did return kicks.

Lynch simply doesn't have the numbers for the HOF, yep, bummer!

He is right there with....

Marion Motley

Jim Brown

Cookie Gilchrist

Mack Lee Hill

Jerome Bettis

John Riggins

Earl Campbell

.........when it came to power running. And he was smaller than all of them.  What an exciting runner he was.

Interesting what if regarding Lynch:

If Carroll dials up Beast Mode from the 1 instead of trying the rub pass to Ricardo Lockette, then Lynch finishes with 103 yards, 2 TDs, the 31-yard pass that preceded Kearse’s 4-bobble catch, becomes the obvious Super Bowl MVP, and adds a second ring.

Now is he a Hall of Famer?

The comp (IMO) is not Gayle Sayers but Lynn Swann. Lynch had moments that had you jumping up & down screaming even if you weren’t a Seahawks fan. Swann didn’t come within a country mile of having HoF numbers, but those acrobatic SB catches carried him in.

Compiled regular season stats, he’s probably borderline. But most of the guys in front of him don’t have a ring, and virtually none of them have the highlight reel. Plus you had to game plan for ML; not sure that was true to the same extent for Waters or Gore due to the talent surrounding them.

Who in this millennium has been a HoF RB?

ADP seems like a lock. McCoy will be on the conversation. Just my opinion, but I say nope to Gore. I don’t feel like any of the other recent candidates mentioned had the same impact as Marshawn.

Who in this millennium has been a HoF RB?

ADP seems like a lock. McCoy will be on the conversation. Just my opinion, but I say nope to Gore. I don’t feel like any of the other recent candidates mentioned had the same impact as Marshawn.
Tomlinson was this milenium, and is already in.  Hard to imagine Bell not getting in once he retires in addition to AP.

Charles and Gore have outside shots but likely fall short.  I think Lynch belongs in their group, personally.  James seems to have missed the cut by now, though still hanging around the annual ballot.

McCoy is interesting.  I’d not have thought of him, and tend to put him in the “very good” group.

2 of his 5 Pro Bowls are the fake kind where he was brought in as an alternate after someone dropped out.

His peak was a 4 year stretch in Seattle, 2011-14. Lots of other recent players have had a similarly good stretch - Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, Chris Johnson.

I'd put Lynch behind Charles and McCoy, and also Gore.

Foster vs. Lynch is an interesting comparison. During the Seattle years (2010-15) Foster was a better RB than Lynch, but Foster did almost nothing outside of those years while Lynch compiled some decent seasons in Buffalo & Oakland.
Marshawn will be in. People forget the "Fame" part of "HOF". He was probably the most famous RB of his generation; the list of guys above were mostly anonymous outside of their cities and fantasy football circles. Anyone who enjoys football knows Beast Mode, and enjoys watching him run. (How could you not?)

Same reason Bettis got in.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms free agent RB Marshawn Lynch will meet with the Seahawks Monday to discuss a possible reunion.

Lynch has kept in touch with Seattle, even paying his former team a visit according to the NFL's official transaction wire earlier this month. The Seahawks downplayed that encounter, though it may have planted the seed for a possible reunion. Seattle's backfield is in dire straits after losing Chris Carson (hip), Rashaad Penny (ACL) and C.J. Prosise (arm) to season-ending injuries. C.J. Anderson has also been linked to the running-back-needy Seahawks, though given his familiarity with the organization—he won a Super Bowl with the team in 2013—Lynch seems more likely of the two to sign. Currently 29th on the NFL's all-time rushing list, Beast Mode totaled a respectable 460 yards (376 rushing, 84 receiving) with three touchdowns across six appearances for his hometown Raiders last year.

Link
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, "both sides are optimistic" free agent RB Marshawn Lynch will join the Seahawks for Week 17.

Lynch is heading to Seattle now and it's hard to imagine him leaving without a deal, especially given the biblical wave of injuries the Seahawks have endured at running back with Chris Carson (hip), Rashaad Penny (ACL) and C.J. Prosise (arm) all among their walking wounded. It's debatable how much the 33-year-old has left in the tank, though Lynch was reasonably effective when healthy last year, submitting a 4.2 yards-per-carry average in six appearances for Oakland. A beloved personality and arguably a franchise icon, Beast Mode topped 1,000 yards in four of his six seasons during his initial stint with Seattle from 2010-15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seahawks signed RB Marshawn Lynch to a one-year contract.

Everything checked out with the 33-year-old's Monday night physical, and he's back for another go-around in the Pacific Northwest. Who knows what kind of football shape Lynch is in, but this could be more of a morale signing than anything for the Seahawks, who are coming off an inexcusable devastating Week 16 home loss to the Cardinals. Lynch was good in 2018 with the Raiders before getting hurt and missing most of the season, but there's just no way to know what to expect with this signing in terms of stats. Lynch, Robert Turbin, and Travis Homer is the Seahawks' new backfield for the rest of 2019.

Dec 23, 2019, 11:36 PM ET

Why won't this guy go away?
He just retired while he was still a starter and his old team that he rose to fame with is decimated by injuries?

It's not like he's intruding upon you or is a media hound. Quite the opposite. He is, as he says, 'bout that action, Boss. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This has disaster written all over it however...I would love to see Lynch do one of those crazy runs where he breaks like 4 tackles and the play feels like it will never end. But the reality is he hasn't seen any action since October 2018...

Lynch 2012 Awesome

Lynch 2020 Not Awesome

I'll put the over under at bout 40 yds total this week vs San Fran who isn't exactly playing their best. 

Users who are viewing this thread