What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvin Jones (1 Viewer)

FF Ninja said:
A funk is a pretty vague thing. Maybe Marvin is in a funk? See how that works?

According to FBG, Marvin is currently WR22 (they use 0ppr). So even without OL blocking very well, he's doing just fine. So not sure what you're talking about needing perfect conditions.

Anyway, a quad injury can definitely impact the play of a speed guy. Not sure if you're disputing this. Last year doesn't really matter, though. This year, Marvin had a rough stretch of top CBs to start the season, but survived it due to TDs and is now seeing his targets trend up - even when Tate was healthy. So I don't see what's not to like out of a WR4 that apparently some people dropped. 
You can't be this naive. Tate had a mental funk to start the year and broke out. Jones was who is always is last year and into this year. His targets trended up because the Lions were getting blown out the last 2 weeks, no other reason. 

Then your mile long list of excuses. First a quad injury, then if was Stafford's hand, which didn't happen until week 14, and that was why Tate started playing better, except he started playing better in week 6, then it was he is facing top corners. In PPR he isn't even in the top 32 in PPG. 

You can't be this naive. Tate had a mental funk to start the year and broke out. Jones was who is always is last year and into this year. His targets trended up because the Lions were getting blown out the last 2 weeks, no other reason. 

Then your mile long list of excuses. First a quad injury, then if was Stafford's hand, which didn't happen until week 14, and that was why Tate started playing better, except he started playing better in week 6, then it was he is facing top corners. In PPR he isn't even in the top 32 in PPG. 
So you want to claim his quad wasn't injured or that he wasn't covered by top corners? These things happened whether you want to acknowledge them or not. I'm confident that he'll prove his worth the rest of the year, with or without Tate. Taylor Decker will have a bigger impact on Marvin's production than Tate.

So you want to claim his quad wasn't injured or that he wasn't covered by top corners? These things happened whether you want to acknowledge them or not. I'm confident that he'll prove his worth the rest of the year, with or without Tate. Taylor Decker will have a bigger impact on Marvin's production than Tate.
Decker was healthy all year last year. How did that look? I have said this all along, Without Tate he will be good. With him, he will have a good game every now and again, the rest of the time he is unstartable. 

Are you really trying to tell everyone in here that this quad injury turned him into a 4th or 5th receiver and the Lions kept putting him out There? That is nuts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
i am an idiot. I dropped him to pick up Doctson when I heard Tate was back weeks earlier than expected. He had been soso with Tate playing and great when Tate went down. Figured Doctson was the new shiny toy that coaching staff was going to play with. Unfortunately Cousins has no balls to throw anything more than 5 yards past LOS

i am an idiot. I dropped him to pick up Doctson when I heard Tate was back weeks earlier than expected. He had been soso with Tate playing and great when Tate went down. Figured Doctson was the new shiny toy that coaching staff was going to play with. Unfortunately Cousins has no balls to throw anything more than 5 yards past LOS
I dropped him for Fuller (who I had to IR for two weeks) after Week 1 because I couldn't trade him. The guy who picked him up immediately has had him on the bench 5 of 7 weeks. I've started his replacement four times and don't regret it one bit. He had a decent game last night as well as Week 6; hope it continues. I'm underwhelmed in FF and IRL he's not worth $40M ($20M guaranteed), but as Lions fan I would love to be wrong. 

Sigh. Dropped at his low point. Guy that picked him up played me this week. I lost with the 2nd highest score. 

Glad I held onto him in both my leagues. Sometimes all you need is a little patience. Slow start was explainable. 

I dropped him for Fuller (who I had to IR for two weeks) after Week 1 because I couldn't trade him. The guy who picked him up immediately has had him on the bench 5 of 7 weeks. I've started his replacement four times and don't regret it one bit. He had a decent game last night as well as Week 6; hope it continues. I'm underwhelmed in FF and IRL he's not worth $40M ($20M guaranteed), but as Lions fan I would love to be wrong. 
:shock: :eek: :excited: :clap: :pickle:

The 5 stages of a Lions fan being wrong about him

Currently contemplating dropping Fuller for Robert Woods  :lmao:

(not really but dang I could have used MJJ this week with 3 WRs on a bye - I won with the 11th highest score for the week)

Thanks!

I have Jones in one league because the price was reasonable this year compared to last year where he was overvalued.
Last year he had a ~WR4 price. It was quite fair for a 15 game 55/930/4 season (if you add his playoff game it makes a 16 game 1000 yard season). The splits weren't great, but from an overall standpoint he was not overvalued. His price was actually quite similar in 2016 and 2017.

Um, Tate has not missed a game yet. He missed like one quarter in week 6. Week 7 was a bye.

Marvin literally fell in my lap last week, still can't believe he was dropped after 2 double-digit games and that I got him with waiver 11th.

Looks like a starter to me until further notice, #6 WR this season so far in my leagues scoring!!!!

Sigh. Dropped at his low point. Guy that picked him up played me this week. I lost with the 2nd highest score. 
 Same here and I am kicking myself right now. I held onto this guy for five weeks through his low target share. During that time there was not one game where he had double digit fantasy point reduction in standard leagues.  Guy in my league picked him up and has had him as a fixture in his lineup since and he literally broke out from that point on.  And now I’m finding myself starting guys like doctson or Corey Davis in my wr3 spot.  

Same here and I am kicking myself right now. I held onto this guy for five weeks through his low target share. During that time there was not one game where he had double digit fantasy point reduction in standard leagues.  Guy in my league picked him up and has had him as a fixture in his lineup since and he literally broke out from that point on.  And now I’m finding myself starting guys like doctson or Corey Davis in my wr3 spot.  
I'm relying on TY and Michael Thomas which isn't terrible. It always bugs me when I make a dumb move like that though. I drafted the guy. Just wasn't patient. I hate short benches.

Last year he had a ~WR4 price. It was quite fair for a 15 game 55/930/4 season (if you add his playoff game it makes a 16 game 1000 yard season). The splits weren't great, but from an overall standpoint he was not overvalued. His price was actually quite similar in 2016 and 2017.
He was drafted at WR29 last year and most of his numbers came early in the season.  After week 3 he had 37/527/2 and was pretty much unstartable.

He was drafted at WR29 last year and most of his numbers came early in the season.  After week 3 he had 37/527/2 and was pretty much unstartable.
Like I said, his splits were bad. I thought he had a lower ADP than that. I certainly didn't have to pay that much for him in auction. If he had not had the quad injury last year, he likely would've been just fine. Saying he was overpriced last year is not really accurate. A more egregious example of the same concept would be like saying AR15 was overpriced this year.

I think more should have been made of the fact that he was shadowed by some stud CBs early in the season.
It was pointed out repeatedly, but people were quick to write it off. The group think is strong.

Like I said, his splits were bad. I thought he had a lower ADP than that. I certainly didn't have to pay that much for him in auction. If he had not had the quad injury last year, he likely would've been just fine. Saying he was overpriced last year is not really accurate. A more egregious example of the same concept would be like saying AR15 was overpriced this year.
Comparing him to a guy that was injured in week 1 is horrible.  TBH, I'd rather have the guy injured in week1 so I could possibly replace him with a worthy starter.

Coincidentally, I drafted Jones last year and traded him after week 3 for....AR15.  They both sucked ### after that.  Theother owner jokingly offered a trade back later in the season.

Comparing him to a guy that was injured in week 1 is horrible.  TBH, I'd rather have the guy injured in week1 so I could possibly replace him with a worthy starter.

Coincidentally, I drafted Jones last year and traded him after week 3 for....AR15.  They both sucked ### after that.  Theother owner jokingly offered a trade back later in the season.
You're missing the point. Saying a guy who was impaired by injury was overvalued isn't fair. That's the point. When he's healthy and not facing a top 5 corner, Marvin has been a great value both of his years in Detroit. He's currently WR15 in PPR and WR6 in 0PPR.

:shock: :eek: :excited: :clap: :pickle:

The 5 stages of a Lions fan being wrong about him

Currently contemplating dropping Fuller for Robert Woods  :lmao:

(not really but dang I could have used MJJ this week with 3 WRs on a bye - I won with the 11th highest score for the week)
Woods has been doing pretty well so far. Savage is pretty bad. 

Fuller is the number one WR in points per game right now. That won't last because it is based on a small sample of 4 games where he has several TD and also the injury to Watson. But Fuller is likely worth hanging on to anyways.

I dunno I think its close. Might look for someone else to drop to pick up Woods if you can.

Condolences to those who dropped him or traded him recently.

Jones had a very good game last night.

I suppose dropping him made some sense as Golden Tate came back from his injury a bit sooner than expected, I can't really see much other reason for dropping him that happened recently though. The Tate injury and match ups getting easier had his arrow pointing up recently and he delivered. Green Bay is a nice WR match up.

This might be Jones best game of the year, but he should continue to be worth considering as a start going forward I think.  :shrug:

After this game Jones is currently WR 16 overall in PPR leagues.

He doesn't get much separation but catches the ball well when tightly covered. He benefits from size and a very good QB.

In a redraft league I drafted him last year and again this year he found his way onto my roster, but I cut him before the Steeler game.  We've seen this movie before, a good game or two and then he disappears.  If he continues to be targeted like last night and against the Steelers then I will have made a mistake, I guess we'll see.

What's the smart move in dynasty, trade him now or hold?
Obviously it depends on what you can get for him. I am guessing not all that much and the high point for him was before the start of last season or early on last season after his big games.

He will be 28 years old in March so some people will downgrade him due to his age. He might actually be a buy because of that if the price is something similar to a WR 3.

Possible that Detroit cuts ties with him as he has a big contract, which would likely be a downgrade if they do. Doesn't seem very likely but possible and something to consider if buying.

I think he is a hold if you have him and hope for the best. Unless of course you can actually get something really exciting in exchange for him.

Woods has been doing pretty well so far. Savage is pretty bad. 

Fuller is the number one WR in points per game right now. That won't last because it is based on a small sample of 4 games where he has several TD and also the injury to Watson. But Fuller is likely worth hanging on to anyways.

I dunno I think its close. Might look for someone else to drop to pick up Woods if you can.
Looks like I might be able to land Corey Davis straight up for Fuller, so problem solved (#fingerscrossed)

The biggest risk to a solid WR2 ranking going forward IMO is red zone targets being potentially vultured by Golladay if/when he comes back. 

The biggest risk to a solid WR2 ranking going forward IMO is red zone targets being potentially vultured by Golladay if/when he comes back. 
Golladay is the great white whale in Moby **** at this point. He's missed a lot of time. I don't know how great the kid is - he had a hot start, but I'm not worried about either Tate or MJ's production when/if he returns. 

The only reason he's being mentioned is preseason hype + 2 TDs (only 4 rec) week 1. Golladay is about as much of a threat as TJ Jones. That is to say, the WR3 will catch passes and occasional TDs. That will happen with our without Golladay. Tate and Marvin owners need not fret. 

-----------

Someone mentioned his contract earlier. I looked it up and I think there is zero risk of Marvin being cut in 2018 and it will be slim in 2019. Here is the contract: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/marvin-jones-9987/

5 years $40 million was a nice contract when he signed it. As the cap increases, I think that even if his pace slows down and he's only a 60/1000/5 guy, in the future $8M/yr for that production won't look bad in 2019 and 2020 (age 29 and 30 seasons). I mean, looking at recent contracts, Kenny Britt (29) just signed a 4 year $32.5M contract ($8M/year). DeSean Jackson (30) signed a 3 year $33.5M contract ($11M/year). Robert freaking Woods (25) signed a 5 year $34M contract ($7M/year). Kenny Stills (25) signed a 4 year $32M contract ($8M/year). Compare Marvin's production to those guys and suddenly $8M/year looks like a team friendly deal. He's got 9 fewer targets, 1 less game, and basically the same stat line as Alshon ($9.5M/year). 

Given his age, production, and relative contract prices, I think Marvin has some of the best odds possible of playing out his current contract.

The story with Jones hasn't changed. He is not an elite receiver, physically. He has great body control and is great at making adjustments. He can win contested balls. He's not particularly fast or particularly great after the catch. He'll never be the guy that consistently puts up big numbers, but he'll put up big games when he gets his opportunities.

Likely a mixture of McCourty's coverage, Tate getting healthier and Golladay active
Especially this part. He gets lost in the mix to easy. Just like last year. He has a short run putting up great numbers then disappears. I started him this week thinking he had one more good week in him before he faded.

Drafted as a WR5.....in my lineup as a WR3/Flex....outpointing J. Jones, J. Nelson, B. Cooks, A. Cooper and D. Bryant.

I got no complaints.

Golladay definitely hampers him a little going forward. Not a drastic change in terms of number of targets, but Golladay IS different to having TJ Jones in the team as he will attract some deeper shots down the sideline and fades into the end zone, which has been a relatively large portion of how Jones has scored so many points in recent. When Golladay isn't playing Jones pretty much gets all of these types of passes to himself 

Overall he has been very good value for where he has been drafted but it requires a little luck to have to play him on a week where he goes off 

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, Daisy been patiently waiting for a down game to post the same nonsense. For the last time, Tate and Marvin play different roles. The offense is better off when they are both on the field. They have a better chance of extending drives and scoring with Marvin stretching the field and Tate catching passes at the LOS. Now if they can get the rushing game going, things will really take off. I think the second half of the season will be a good time to own Stafford, Marvin, Tate, and Abdullah. Taylor Decker made his return this week and played about 2/3rds of the snaps. 

Do we know if Rhodes will be on him tomorrow? I'm not sure if he travels, or if Minny sticks him on Tate. If Rhodes is on him, I imagine you have to sit him

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/11/matthew_stafford_is_starting_t.html

The rediscovery of Marvin Jones has been one of the year's biggest developments, especially downfield. He has caught nine of the 18 bombs that Stafford heaved his way.

That's why Stafford has an absurd 133.5 passer rating whenever he tries to throw the ball more than 20 yards to Marvin Jones this season. And that's why Stafford, after evolving away from the deep ball under Jim Bob Cooter, has suddenly become the league's most efficient deep-ball passer headed into Thanksgiving.

5/2-42-0 when he faced Xavier Rhodes Week 4
Man, that’s tough. I’ve got both MJ & Tate. Would you start Ginn over Marvin given the matchup? 

I know, I know - wrong forum. But I think it’d be valuable to the topic to hypothesize a list of “I’d start _________ over Jones this week”. 

Starting with my dilemma isn’t the worst way to kick that off. ;)  

Users who are viewing this thread