What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass Shootings Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Not on issues of public safety. 
2. I have no problem with you owning a handgun. I have no problem with you wanting to protect your family. 
3. You need an M4 to protect your handgun? Wouldn’t a safe be a better purchase? 
4. A hill to die on? Really? My idea at the moment is that we should ban all AR-15s (and AR-15 type weapons) amd institute voluntary buybacks on those already in circulation. Will this cause you to make a rebellious live or die stand against the government? 
  1. MY M4 is not a issue of public safety. It hasn't killed anyone.
  2. Good....even though, by your reasoning, handguns are a bigger threat to public safety
  3. I'm not protecting my handgun from theft.
  4. Yes. The 2nd Amendment IS a hill to die on...it is the one Amendment that protects all the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good meme I saw this morning but it went something like this

Nuclear bombs don't kill people, people kill people so who cares if iran or north korea or anyone has them.  

Also worth noting that if you look at the Washington Post link that guy sent over earlier in the thread, you’ll see the last 5 years have a much higher concentration of mass shootings than any other 5 year span. In the span of 1966-1970, there were only 6 total mass shootings according to that link. In 2020 alone (which looks to be a good year going off recent standards), there were 5 and that was the lowest number since 2016.

So sure, if you want to go all the way back to 60’s and 70’s where there were only 1 or 2 mass shootings a year (according to the definition that they’re using), you can skew the data to make it not look as bad but you’d really have to have your head in the sand to pretend that the number of mass shootings that have happened over the last decade or so is not a big deal.
That’s fair.  It’s also fair to note that as gun possession numbers have increased over the years the number of home invasions has decreased dramatically.  While in 1990 there were more than 3 million burglaries in the U.S., by the year 2018 this number has decreased by 60% to about 1.23 million.  And your odds of being violently assaulted in a home invasion are much higher than being involved in a mass shouting,  yet we never hear about that.

I get what you are saying, but on the flip side there's not an Amendment addressing fertilizer and cold meds.  
There’s also not one that addresses AR-15s. it’s obviously a fallacy to assume that “the right to bear arms” includes all arms without restriction. Suppose I tried to build a nuclear weapon in my backyard? Should that be allowed under the 2nd Amendment? Clearly not. Therefore, reasonable limitations can be imposed. 

Nuclear bombs don't kill people, people kill people so who cares if iran or north korea or anyone has them.  
I thought we were talking about "responsible" ownership.

I get what you are saying, but on the flip side there's not an Amendment addressing fertilizer and cold meds.  
There weren’t assault rifles running around when the 2nd amendment was adopted. Things change and the constitution was designed to be amended as times change. 

There’s also not one that addresses AR-15s. it’s obviously a fallacy to assume that “the right to bear arms” includes all arms without restriction. Suppose I tried to build a nuclear weapon in my backyard? Should that be allowed under the 2nd Amendment? Clearly not. Therefore, reasonable limitations can be imposed. 
If you can pass the background check that allows you to own that nuclear weapon...go for it.
But and assault weapon looks meaner and can be reused.

2. Good....even though, by your reasoning, handguns are a bigger threat to public safety
  4. Yes. The 2nd Amendment IS a hill to die on...it is the one Amendment that protects all the others.
What I’m proposing (making AR-15s illegal to possess has no bearing on the 2nd Amendment. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this question. 

Do people really think that if we eliminate assault rifles the issue of mass shootings goes away or is lessened significantly?  People would just use handguns. I have 7 10-clip mags for my Sig p365.  You know how long it takes to reload a mag? About 3 seconds.

Point 4 is the most laughable thing I have ever read.  If you want to die for the right to go pew pew pew, go for it.  I swear some of you are cosplaying characters from Red Dawn. 

WOLVERINES! 

Do people really think that if we eliminate assault rifles the issue of mass shootings goes away or is lessened significantly?  People would just use handguns. I have 7 10-clip mags for my Sig p365.  You know how long it takes to reload a mag? About 3 seconds.
I believe the deaths from mass shootings are reduced significantly, yes. It is my understanding that most law enforcement experts believe this as well. 

That makes no sense, because using your earlier logic a background check in itself is a violation of your rights. 
It is....but I understand and agree that not everyone is responsible enough to own one.

I (we) accept this infringement of the government just as we accept the infringement of regulating automatic weapons...you're welcome.

It is....but I understand and agree that not everyone is responsible enough to own one.

I (we) accept this infringement of the government...you're welcome.
So you accept certain infringements of your rights but not others? That’s fine, except who makes that decision? I think the courts have to make it, not you, if we are to live in a civil society. 

So you accept certain infringements of your rights but not others? That’s fine, except who makes that decision? I think the courts have to make it, not you, if we are to live in a civil society. 
I understand certain infringements.

Banning a weapon because it "looks mean" is not acceptable.

Please....tell me the difference between my M4 and the Marlin .22 I got when I was 13.
Something like this

and yet...I'm here at home....with my M4.

scared?
I’m not scared of you owning an M4. I have no reason to believe that you’re not a responsible gun owner. 
But in the interests of public safety I don’t think such weapons should be legal to own. I choose to infringe on your rights in this situation in order to make situations like yesterday result in less deaths. I’m honestly sorry about that; I’m not trying to punish you. 

I’m not scared of you owning an M4. I have no reason to believe that you’re not a responsible gun owner. 
But in the interests of public safety I don’t think such weapons should be legal to own. I choose to infringe on your rights in this situation in order to make situations like yesterday result in less deaths. I’m honestly sorry about that; I’m not trying to punish you. 
No...not at all....just infringe on my God-given rights.

I understand certain infringements.

Banning a weapon because it "looks mean" is not acceptable.

Please....tell me the difference between my M4 and the Marlin .22 I got when I was 13.
Something like this
The main difference is that crazies like the shooter yesterday are attracted by weapons that “look mean”. It makes them feel more powerful and invulnerable. That’s why far more often than not they choose them. 

The main difference is that crazies like the shooter yesterday are attracted by weapons that “look mean”. It makes them feel more powerful and invulnerable. That’s why far more often than not they choose them. 
So, me...and people like me...lose our rights because of "crazies"?

Wow...God bless America!

Horrible meme.  I think most everyone here would agree that guns (or bombs) should be kept away from the mentally ill.  

So, me...and people like me...pay with our rights because of "crazies"?

Wow...God bless America!
Sure. Every constitutional right has limitations. You can’t yell fire in a crowded theater, etc. if you want to go live in the wilderness that’s one thing. But so long as you live among other Americans there has to be limitations. 

Sure. Every constitutional right has limitations. You can’t yell fire in a crowded theater, etc. if you want to go live in the wilderness that’s one thing. But so long as you live among other Americans there has to be limitations. 
There are already limitations....and over 20 laws that "limit" this Constitutional Right.

Of course you can.  There are just repercussions for doing so.  And I'm sure the shooter from Boulder will face his repercussions as well.  

Horrible meme.  I think most everyone here would agree that guns (or bombs) should be kept away from the mentally ill.  
Did you vote to re-elect the Republican politicians (nearly everyone of them IIRC) who opposed and killed legislation that would have required universal background checks for mentally ill people who attempted to purchase firearms? 

There are already limitations....and over 20 laws that govern this Constitutional Right.
It’s so true. As a new gun owner I was flabbergasted by the number of obstacles I had to overcome just to own a pistol.  Like I said above I went through the process as quickly as humanly possible and it took me 5 full months, several trips back and forth to Town Hall and State offices, and over $450 in fees.

Of course you can.  There are just repercussions for doing so.  And I'm sure the shooter from Boulder will face his repercussions as well.  
Agreed. And all I’m asking for is an added repercussion: making it illegal to own an AR-15. 

Did you vote to re-elect the Republican politicians (nearly everyone of them IIRC) who opposed and killed legislation that would have required universal background checks for mentally ill people who attempted to purchase firearms? 
Not true....they opposed legislation that could have your weapons confiscated on the word of anyone who said that, in their opinion, I presented a threat....anyone.

There are already limitations....and over 20 laws that "limit" this Constitutional Right.
Right. And it goes to my point. Your entire opposition to the idea of banning these particular weapons is that it would infringe upon your 2nd Amendment right. But you acknowledge that we already have limitations in place. So you’re contradicting yourself. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread