What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Cassel (6 Viewers)

The Patriots finally took the training wheels off of Cassel. Personally I feel if the Pats had done this earlier, they would have beaten the Colts somewhat easily. The Colts game was the worst coached game in the Belichick era (even worse than the SB).The Patriots do have a great system. However, for every one who thinks Belichick made Brady, there is at least one who will remind you of Belichicks record as the Cleveland Browns coach. Is it Brady or Belichick?
Belichick. Remember this fact: Belichick has won Super Bowls without Bill Parcells, but Parcells has never won a Super Bowl without Belichick. Belichick is the best HC in the history of the NFL. As far as his history with the Browns & Lions goes, some people get smarter as they get older.

The Patriots finally took the training wheels off of Cassel. Personally I feel if the Pats had done this earlier, they would have beaten the Colts somewhat easily. The Colts game was the worst coached game in the Belichick era (even worse than the SB).

The Patriots do have a great system. However, for every one who thinks Belichick made Brady, there is at least one who will remind you of Belichicks record as the Cleveland Browns coach. Is it Brady or Belichick?
Belichick. Remember this fact: Belichick has won Super Bowls without Bill Parcells, but Parcells has never won a Super Bowl without Belichick. Belichick is the best HC in the history of the NFL. As far as his history with the Browns & Lions goes, some people get smarter as they get older.
I would agree if only spygate had not happened.

The Patriots finally took the training wheels off of Cassel. Personally I feel if the Pats had done this earlier, they would have beaten the Colts somewhat easily. The Colts game was the worst coached game in the Belichick era (even worse than the SB).

The Patriots do have a great system. However, for every one who thinks Belichick made Brady, there is at least one who will remind you of Belichicks record as the Cleveland Browns coach. Is it Brady or Belichick?
If you aren't cheating you aren't trying.

You two are silly. There are at least 3 HCs better than Belichick (Lombardi, Walsh, Noll), perhaps more.

You two are silly. There are at least 3 HCs better than Belichick (Lombardi, Walsh, Noll), perhaps more.
How many games did they play with a salary cap?

Or the portable video camera?

Or the portable video camera?
NFL films has had those since the 60s, I'm sure they could have had one too.

I feel bad for the team that overspends for him as a free agent. System QB just like Brady. Or do great 6th & 7th round draft picks just fall into Belichick's lap?
:rolleyes:
I'll bump this when Cassel falls on his face for his new team.
Okay, I'll bite.That's not what I was rolling my eyes at. This is: System QB just like Brady.
I'm suspicious of that statement. We all know the extra film help Brady got for most of his time as a starter. We all know defense and Vinaterri bailed him out time and time again. Cassell doesn't need help from anyone. The Patriots defense is pretty bad right now and Cassell is putting this team in his shoulders and winning games. We need to see how this plays out, but I bet Cassell turns out to be much better than Brady.

I feel bad for the team that overspends for him as a free agent. System QB just like Brady. Or do great 6th & 7th round draft picks just fall into Belichick's lap?
:tfp:
Okay, I'll bite.That's not what I was rolling my eyes at. This is: System QB just like Brady.
I'm suspicious of that statement. We all know the extra film help Brady got for most of his time as a starter. We all know defense and Vinaterri bailed him out time and time again. Cassell doesn't need help from anyone. The Patriots defense is pretty bad right now and Cassell is putting this team in his shoulders and winning games. We need to see how this plays out, but I bet Cassell turns out to be much better than Brady.
Which games did Cassel win?NE beat KC by 7 and Cassel didn't do much.

NE beat NYJ by 9 and Cassel didn't do much.

NE beat SF by 11 and Cassel did a little more but not a lot.

NE blew out Denver by 34 in a game that was over by halftime. Cassel had 3 TDs but that game was going to be a win regardless.

NE beat STL by 7. Cassel actually orchestrated a late game drive to win it.

NE beat BUF 20-10. Cassel really was not a huge part of the outcome.

NE stomped on MIA by 20. Cassel had big numbers, but it was not exactly a nailbiter.

IMO, Cassel has lead them to a late game victory once . . . and that was in a tie game. He has a long way to go to catch up to Brady in close victories, playoff wins, SB titles, etc. He's played well in losses . . . but they were losses. Not shooting him down, but for now he's not Brady.

:tfp:
Wow does he have a hidden compartment in there to hide things? :rant: And last I checked he lost this week to PIT, and looked really bad doing it. I'm really disappointed in FBG ranking him so high against the best defense in the league, should have seen that coming. Actually I'm the idiot that fell for it and started him, I had Russell on the bench with alot more points!

:mellow:
Wow does he have a hidden compartment in there to hide things? :lmao: And last I checked he lost this week to PIT, and looked really bad doing it. I'm really disappointed in FBG ranking him so high against the best defense in the league, should have seen that coming. Actually I'm the idiot that fell for it and started him, I had Russell on the bench with alot more points!
Cassel didn't look great, but he had several big plays that his receivers totally dropped inluding a long play that likely would have been a Moss TD. He also got no help from Matt Light and coughed up two fumbles. His 2 picks hit his receivers in the hamds and were deflected. And a cheap hit knoceked Welker out of the game. So in this case his total numbers did not tell the whole story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had him on the bench the last two weeks and really could have used those points - but I am going with Garcia again. I like the matchup with the Saints and a possible shootout. Cassel has not reached the "always start your studs" league just yet and I would be looking at him for a favorable matchup and the Steelers are not the D you want a young and somewhat inexperienced QB going against.
I had the same issue this week. I opted for Garcia vs. Detroit in week 12 thinking the matchup was better only to have Garcia put up ho-hum numbers and Cassell put up another huge game against Miami. But I couldn't bring myself to start Cassell vs. the #1 D (vs. the pass and run). Turned out well for me so I'm 2 for 3 on the Cassell vs. Garcia question over the last three weeks.Unless there is a significant advantage in matchup for Garcia like there was this week, I'm going to go with Cassell. I play in a yardage heavy scoring system so if it weren't for Garcia's TD and Cassell's turnovers, Cassell would have still outscored Garcia this week playing against the best D in the league. Given how TD's and Int's can come and go in a game, Cassell may still be the smarter start week in and week out regardless of the matchup just because he's more likely to score me yardage points. Garcia just isn't getting yardage commiserate with his matchup.Keep in mind that Brady put up 140 yards, 0 td's, 1 int and a 51.5 passer rating vs. the Jets in Week 15 last year. Any player is subject to an off game. I think Cassell saw some thigns he hadn't seen before this week against Pittsburgh. I expect him to improve because of it.

Brady put up 140 yards, 0 td's, 1 int and a 51.5 passer rating vs. the Jets in Week 15 last year. Any player is subject to an off game. I think Cassell saw some things he hadn't seen before this week against Pittsburgh. I expect him to improve because of it.
Brady had such a poor day due to the monsoon that hit New England. Torrential rains and 50 mph wind gusts are not really conducive to big passing totals.

Brady put up 140 yards, 0 td's, 1 int and a 51.5 passer rating vs. the Jets in Week 15 last year. Any player is subject to an off game. I think Cassell saw some things he hadn't seen before this week against Pittsburgh. I expect him to improve because of it.
Brady had such a poor day due to the monsoon that hit New England. Torrential rains and 50 mph wind gusts are not really conducive to big passing totals.
Oh. :unsure: Cassell had a poor day due to a black and gold monsoon. :excited:

Oh. :unsure: Cassell had a poor day due to a black and gold monsoon. :excited:
I'm sure rain and an icy field didn't help last night for the Pats, although the Steelers defense was certainly the prime reason why the Pats didn't fare well.

The Steelers have not allowed a team to go over 300 yards from scrimmage this season. I would expect that Cassel will struggle a lot more this week.
Cassel was 19/39 169 Yards and 2 INTs.I didn't get to see the game but from what I can tell he was about as effective against the Steelers that other QB's have been.
Bad stats are bad stats but Light couldn't block anybody and the Pats receivers did Cassel no favors.
Bout time they returned the favor. Up until the last couple games, Cassel wasn't' doing the Pats receivers any favors.

:lmao:
Which games did Cassel win?NE beat KC by 7 and Cassel didn't do much.

NE beat NYJ by 9 and Cassel didn't do much.

NE beat SF by 11 and Cassel did a little more but not a lot.

NE blew out Denver by 34 in a game that was over by halftime. Cassel had 3 TDs but that game was going to be a win regardless.

NE beat STL by 7. Cassel actually orchestrated a late game drive to win it.

NE beat BUF 20-10. Cassel really was not a huge part of the outcome.

NE stomped on MIA by 20. Cassel had big numbers, but it was not exactly a nailbiter.

IMO, Cassel has lead them to a late game victory once . . . and that was in a tie game. He has a long way to go to catch up to Brady in close victories, playoff wins, SB titles, etc. He's played well in losses . . . but they were losses. Not shooting him down, but for now he's not Brady.
Weird. You keep saying "didn't do much" "was not a huge part of the outcome"... you mean, besides starting at QB, right? :cry: Of course he isn't Brady, now. No one said he is.

Users who are viewing this thread