What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Leinart to announce decision today (1 Viewer)

Leinart's decision to come tomorrow (1/14) at 5pm EST
:link:
listening to ESPN Radio ..... SportsCenter Updates
Kid needs to make up his mind. They probably have a better talent in Booty behind him anyway. If he stays he is not wise no matter how much he loves school. He has accomplished everything anybody would want from college. 3peat would be nice but the risk is so much higher then the reward.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Under no condition will Matt Leinart be the #1 Overall Pick in the 2006 NFL draft.

Colin
Extremely bold, especially if the whispers of Carroll to SF are legit.
It says 2006. I'm saying that he'll either come out and be #1 this year, or go back to school and NOT be #1 next year.

I think there are potentially 3 QBs who could challenge him for the top spot next year (McNeil, Jacobs, Young ;) ) , not to mention a couple very talented tackles (Ferguson, Whitworth), Reggie Bush, and a few defensive players (Wright, Kiwanuka) that could push for #1 if they go back to school. Of that group, plus a few I'm not listing, I could see him gettnig knocked out of the top spot pretty easily.

COlin

Can he repeat what he did this year? Sure! But that is all he can do...repeat it. He can't improve on his season so why stay and risk an injury or a decline in production? He has to leave...that is the smart thing to do. Do you leave a guaranteed $15-20 million on the table to return to college because you want to win a 3rd National Championship? I think not.
It's sad/funny that the concept of staying in school to, you know, finish his degree doesn't even enter into this conversation anymore. I'm sure he'll finish it out somehow, but I'd think it's much easier to do when you're working a college football schedule rather than dealing with an NFL career. Nah, I'm just kidding himself.The real reason it's not so stupid for him to stay.....have you seen the USC cheerleaders? :D
I used to be in the stay at school camp, but the opportunity to sign a contract for tens of millions of dollars just shouldn't be passed on. Lots of guys continue on to finish their degrees. Heck, even if you had to start over in school from ZERO credits, it would still be worth it.Look at the Kwame Dossiter's of the world. Strange things can happen in this world. When an chance like that presents itself, it's almost foolish not to take it and run.
I completely understand and agree with the point you're making. And honestly I think it'd be a mistake for Leinart to not take the money and run. I just found it interesting that that particular consideration isn't even mentioned at all.As for Bill Gates - Jayhawk you do realize that his family was wealthy to start with right? Dropping out of school for him was no risk at all.
Yeah, I know, otherwise he wouldn't have started Harvard.I don't know the family history, how did they like their son dropping out? I know mine would have said "good luck son, you're on your own" - hence, RISK.I'm not really sure of your point though, what risk would Leinhart be taking by dropping out? Having money and no education? :no:Missing out on a few parties? I'd imagine NFL parties are pretty nice.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Under no condition will Matt Leinart be the #1 Overall Pick in the 2006 NFL draft.

Colin
It says 2006. I'm saying that he'll either come out and be #1 this year, or go back to school and NOT be #1 next year.

I think there are potentially 3 QBs who could challenge him for the top spot next year (McNeil, Jacobs, Young ;) ) , not to mention a couple very talented tackles (Ferguson, Whitworth), Reggie Bush, and a few defensive players (Wright, Kiwanuka) that could push for #1 if they go back to school. Of that group, plus a few I'm not listing, I could see him gettnig knocked out of the top spot pretty easily.

COlin
All it would take is a couple USC losses and everyone would be down on him next year. If he returns to USC, he's going feel the weight of not blowing a $40 million contract every time he throws the ball. That is a lot of pressure on top of the national title that USC expects next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
and a few defensive players (Wright, Kiwanuka) that could push for #1 if they go back to school.
I read on GBN Report that Kiwanuka has already said he's going back
Thanks for that note. Hadn't seen it yet. :thumbup: That should make the DE race wide-open between James, Cody, Cody, Roth, and Spears (did I forget anybody?).Colin

and a few defensive players (Wright, Kiwanuka) that could push for #1 if they go back to school.
I read on GBN Report that Kiwanuka has already said he's going back
Thanks for that note. Hadn't seen it yet. :thumbup: That should make the DE race wide-open between James, Cody, Cody, Roth, and Spears (did I forget anybody?).Colin
Adrian Peterson eligible after next?

Yeah, I know, otherwise he wouldn't have started Harvard.I don't know the family history, how did they like their son dropping out? I know mine would have said "good luck son, you're on your own" - hence, RISK.I'm not really sure of your point though, what risk would Leinhart be taking by dropping out? Having money and no education? :no:Missing out on a few parties? I'd imagine NFL parties are pretty nice.
I don't think Gates's family would have washed their hands of him if he didn't make it.My point:Bill Gates stays in school, blows his knee out - he's still rich.Leinart stays in school, blows his knee out - he's not rich.As for not really being sure of my point - it was just follow up pointlessness to the original pointlessness of bringing Bill Gates into the discussion. Bill Gates's history has zero relevance to the Leinart situation. So I guess we're even?

I don't think Gates's family would have washed their hands of him if he didn't make it.My point:Bill Gates stays in school, blows his knee out - he's still rich.Leinart stays in school, blows his knee out - he's not rich.As for not really being sure of my point - it was just follow up pointlessness to the original pointlessness of bringing Bill Gates into the discussion. Bill Gates's history has zero relevance to the Leinart situation. So I guess we're even?
Gates' family was already rich, so dropping out for awhile to pursue a business was no big deal as he could have when back if he needed to. Why in the world would anyone in their right mind pass up $40 million to play another year of college football? Education has nothing to do with it, you can always go back to school after football or even during the offseason. The reason you go to college is to get a career and Leinart already has one in football. If he stays in school school, right or wrong, scouts are going to question his will to play football in the NFL.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Colin
Even in a trade??? :no: Then again, who cares as long as you are a top 5. Ask a certain DB that went to Wash last year. :thumbup:

Not everyone values money over happiness.King of the mountain in California would probably be more fun than backup QB on a bad team.

Yeah, I agree... no WAY he turns down the chance of being a top 2 or 3 pick and mega-millions of dollars for yet another college season. He's accomplished more than most players that have played college ball. He had a career game in the biggest spotlight there is. What more does he have to prove in the college ranks?

Actually I brought Gates in after Barry Jive made the comment that when an opportunity presents itself, you take it. My point was simple, if you can start your career (any career which is your goal in college) a year early, do it. Just go back later.I understand what you're saying, but it leads to the conclusion that Gates had more reason to stay in school, not that he didn't take a risk by leaving.But, you're right, Gates could have gone back to school, with one failed venture.Leinhart has the same option.
Gates' family was already rich, so dropping out for awhile to pursue a business was no big deal as he could have when back if he needed to.
Sure, but that 40 Million contract should pay for books if he doesn't make it. USC might even provide some assistance, besides, is he really a junior, and how many classes does he have left? From the interviews I've seen, returning would not be for academics, but for another year of "King of Campus".Anyway, as I said in my first post in this thread, if I were him, I'd be out, but I'd almost put money on him staying.

Somebody needs to tell Matt the story about Ken SwillingJunior year – projected to be a 1st round pickGoes back for Senior year @ Ga. Tech and gets injured. Drafted in the 7th round by the Bucs. Never plays a down in the NFL

a couple of things from an sc grad who follows the team (and recruiting) very closely.1) matt leinart should have enough credits to graduate this spring, if not then certainly this summer. 2) in no way is josh booty guaranteed the job next spring. we have rocky hinds and mark sanchez entering camp next spring. carroll will have it wide open and whoever plays the best in the spring will win. 2 years ago in spring ball, everyone was expecting brandon hance or matt cassell to win the job after carson got drafted. noone gave leinart a chance to win the job.i think matt goes out. he loves the university and he is treated like a rock star. but if you met this kid, you would know how grounded he is. he signs every autograph, does every interview. he's no idiot for taking all this time to make his decision. he's just doing his due dilligence like any person in his position SHOULD do.

a couple of things from an sc grad who follows the team (and recruiting) very closely.1) matt leinart should have enough credits to graduate this spring, if not then certainly this summer. 2) in no way is josh booty guaranteed the job next spring. we have rocky hinds and mark sanchez entering camp next spring. carroll will have it wide open and whoever plays the best in the spring will win. 2 years ago in spring ball, everyone was expecting brandon hance or matt cassell to win the job after carson got drafted. noone gave leinart a chance to win the job.i think matt goes out. he loves the university and he is treated like a rock star. but if you met this kid, you would know how grounded he is. he signs every autograph, does every interview. he's no idiot for taking all this time to make his decision. he's just doing his due dilligence like any person in his position SHOULD do.
Booty seems to golden child he will definitly be the one to beat out though, IMO.

Somebody needs to tell Matt the story about Ken SwillingJunior year – projected to be a 1st round pickGoes back for Senior year @ Ga. Tech and gets injured. Drafted in the 7th round by the Bucs. Never plays a down in the NFL
BIG difference.Swilling was at a position a knee injury COULD hurt his NFL chances (speed is critical). AND it happened 15+ years ago.Science has come a LOOOOONG way in 15 years.

Oooooooh, 12 minutes to go!!! I can't take the tension!!/sarcasm_offOn a serious note, I will be utterly and completely shocked if Leinart returns next year. There's no drama involved in this IMO.

Oooooooh, 12 minutes to go!!! I can't take the tension!!/sarcasm_offOn a serious note, I will be utterly and completely shocked if Leinart returns next year. There's no drama involved in this IMO.
It was actually 17 minutes from the time you posted. :devil:

It was actually 17 minutes from the time you posted. :devil:
The clock on my computer said different :D

Just to kill some time, does USC have a QB groomed & ready to go if Leinart leaves? Or do they have several guys who'll compete for the job?

Just to kill some time, does USC have a QB groomed & ready to go if Leinart leaves? Or do they have several guys who'll compete for the job?
They just signed the #1 high school QB (Mark "Dirty" Sanchez).

Leinart to stay at USC for senior season!I don't care what some morons here may say, if he likes college ... by all means, stay in college! Good for him, good for USC, good for college football. :thumbup:

John David Booty is supposed to be better than Palmer or Leinart.He graduated high school in 3 years and enrolled at USC at 17. He has redshirted one year and played a bit in another so he'll be a redshirt sophomore next year.USC also has a couple Freshmen QBs who enrolled this year who will compete with Booty, but Booty by far has the inside track on the job if Leinart leaves.

John David Booty is supposed to be better than Palmer or Leinart.He graduated high school in 3 years and enrolled at USC at 17. He has redshirted one year and played a bit in another so he'll be a redshirt sophomore next year.USC also has a couple Freshmen QBs who enrolled this year who will compete with Booty, but Booty by far has the inside track on the job if Leinart leaves.
guess booty has another year on the bench.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Colin

COlin
All it would take is a couple USC losses and everyone would be down on him next year. If he returns to USC, he's going feel the weight of not blowing a $40 million contract every time he throws the ball. That is a lot of pressure on top of the national title that USC expects next year.
Bumping what I said earlier.

OMG he's staying.
serious?
Yes, I couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth. He really must not like the 49ers :P
What a moron! He's turning down millions of dollars and the potential #1 pick for what?
you obviously never went to college ... or if you did it was some tech school or community college.My college years were the best. Looking back, I'd want to take more time to screw off.

OMG he's staying.
serious?
Yes, I couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth. He really must not like the 49ers :P
What a moron! He's turning down millions of dollars and the potential #1 pick for what?
it's turning down a tangible benefit for an intangible benefit.he only gets one go-round in college, and he loves it. also, it is important to him to be thought of as one of the greatest QBs in college ever.i think it's pretty crazy to forego all that cash, but you have to respect him for at least understanding that playing for another year in college with the exact same offense is going to be real fun. coming from a well off family i think he also doesn't have that urge of trying to "make it".i would have most likely taken the $$, but it's not absurd that he stayed.

OMG he's staying.
serious?
you obviously never went to college ... or if you did it was some tech school or community college.My college years were the best. Looking back, I'd want to take more time to screw off.
Yes, college was great and I probably spent more time there than anyone here that isn't a doctor :D but I didn't have a $40 million paycheck guaranteed waiting for me.

it's turning down a tangible benefit for an intangible benefit.he only gets one go-round in college, and he loves it. also, it is important to him to be thought of as one of the greatest QBs in college ever.i think it's pretty crazy to forego all that cash, but you have to respect him for at least understanding that playing for another year in college with the exact same offense is going to be real fun. coming from a well off family i think he also doesn't have that urge of trying to "make it".i would have most likely taken the $$, but it's not absurd that he stayed.
:goodposting:

OMG he's staying.
serious?
Yes, college was great and I probably spent more time there than anyone here that isn't a doctor :D but I didn't have a $40 million paycheck guaranteed waiting for me.
you also didn't have every hot USC co-ed :wub: you.or maybe you did...i shouldn't speak for you. :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread