What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Schaub (1 Viewer)

bumpman

Footballguy
There is a fair amount of buzz about Schaub and his ability to be a good starter in the NFL. I believe he is still under contract with the Falcons for a couple more years. Can someone make a reasonable case why Atlanta would trade this guy THIS offseason to another team? Is there a decent backup at Atlanta who could step into Schaub's place? What would it take for another team to get him and which teams do you think will make the play for him? Baltimore, NY Jets, Miami, Cleveland, New Orleans, Houston, Washington, Tampa Bay? I am looking at a keeper QB next year and Schaub is intriguing.

with Vick's injury history, I can't imagine them letting him go while they are a contending team. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised for them to try to sign him long term, although I think he would be wise to go where he could be a starter.

Interesting report. It is speculation, but relevant to this thread.

BROOKS IS DONE

In a move that likely is coming at least one year too late, we're told that the Saints plan to part ways after the season with quarterback Aaron Brooks.

Brooks became an instant star in the Bayou five years ago, after starter Jeff Blake suffered a broken leg. The former Virginia Cavalier, in only his second NFL season, led the Saints to the playoffs and engineered the first (and only) postseason win in club history. Brooks then staved off a healthy Blake in 2001 for the starting job.

Since then, however, Brooks has yet to fulfill the promise of his debut season. His passer rating never has been higher than 88.5, and he currently is at 66.5 through nine games in 2005. His career mark is below 80.

Next year, his salary jumps to $6.25 million. There's a chance, as we see it, that the team could offer him an opportunity to compete for the job at a reduced salary, but our guess is that Brooks will turn his nose up at the suggestion that he take a pay cut, and instead try to find a better deal on the open market.

One possible landing spot for Brooks might be as a backup is Atlanta. He and starter Michael Vick are cousins, and the Wizard of Valtrex might not be thrilled with the hype that current No. 2 Matt Schaub is generating. It's no huge stretch to envision Vick lobbying owner Arthur Blank to get value for Schaub in trade, and then to bring in cousin Aaron to serve as the understudy.

profootballtalk.com

While I agree with PFTs premise about Brooks being done, he won't have trouble finding a starting job on the open market. Can't see him taking a backup job.

While I agree with PFTs premise about Brooks being done, he won't have trouble finding a starting job on the open market.

Can't see him taking a backup job.
I entirely disagree with this statement.At best, I expect Brooks to find himself in a situation where he will be given an opportunity to compete for a starting job.

While I agree with PFTs premise about Brooks being done, he won't have trouble finding a starting job on the open market. 

I entirely disagree with this statement.At best, I expect Brooks to find himself in a situation where he will be given an opportunity to compete for a starting job.
Perhaps you havent noticed the state of the quarterback position around the league.And as much bad press as Brooks get, hes on pace for his 5th straight year of 3500+/20+ and has had the Saints somewhere close to the playoffs most seasons despite horrible coaching and defense.

Hes a solid starter in this league, and theres no reason to think he'll have to compete for a job.

Perhaps you havent noticed the state of the quarterback position around the league.And as much bad press as Brooks get, hes on pace for his 5th straight year of 3500+/20+ and has had the Saints somewhere close to the playoffs most seasons despite horrible coaching and defense.

Hes a solid starter in this league, and theres no reason to think he'll have to compete for a job.
Perhaps you haven't watched a Saints game during the past few seasons. Brooks has regressed as a QB. It's very difficult to imagine him being annointed the starter. He'll have to battle for a starting spot -- only Haslett is stupid enough to hand this guy the job without competition. That said, Brooks has talent. He's just been the victim of terrible coaching in NO. Literally, this guy is a worse QB now than when he came to New Orleans from Green Bay. As a Packer fan, I was bummed that we lost him. The guy looked GREAT in the GB offense.

I'm not just saying this because I'm a Dolphins' fan... but give Nick Saban Aaron Brooks' athleticism with that ground attack and the Chambers/McMichael duo... throw in some solid coaching... and you got yourself something there.

Perhaps you haven't watched a Saints game during the past few seasons. Brooks has regressed as a QB. It's very difficult to imagine him being annointed the starter. He'll have to battle for a starting spot -- only Haslett is stupid enough to hand this guy the job without competition. That said, Brooks has talent. He's just been the victim of terrible coaching in NO. Literally, this guy is a worse QB now than when he came to New Orleans from Green Bay. As a Packer fan, I was bummed that we lost him. The guy looked GREAT in the GB offense.
I just cant imagine you have a firm grasp of how things work in the NFL, and believe that Brooks will have trouble finding a job.

I'd very much like to see Schaub on a team next year. I had him on my roster all last year in my keeper league because I was that impressed by him. Finally he gets a good shot in the regular season and look what he does? He makes everybody into believers. I'm sure NO, NYJ, BAL, HOU, KC, ARI, TB, MIN, DET, CHI

will all be looking for who is out there this year. Some will draft a QB early, some won't. But several of these could be realistic options if they want to give up enough for Schaub.

I'm not just saying this because I'm a Dolphins' fan... but give Nick Saban Aaron Brooks' athleticism with that ground attack and the Chambers/McMichael duo... throw in some solid coaching... and you got yourself something there.
As a Bills fan I would hate to see it happen. I've been saying that the Dophins are a good veteran QB away from making a run for the division/playoffs. They haven't had much recently, which I really don't understand. Their running game has always been good, except the year Ricky retired, but the passing game was so-so at best. Chambers is a very talented WR, and if you want to open up your offense, grab a veteran QB and you have a passing and running attack. Much easier to win that way.

Mort reported a few times that the Falcons want a 1st rnd pick, and everyone basically said no way. If they could bring in brooks cheap, maybe. But Brooks won't be cheap. He's better then at least 10 current starters. People talk about Joey getting another shot. Brooks has actually put up numbers. And lots of people will blame some of his problems on the mess in NO. o-line, coaching, duece being out most of the last 2 years. always playing from behind. I don't know, to me Brooks is a better version of Jake. Most of their mistakes come when they're down by 21 pts after 20 mins.

Mort reported a few times that the Falcons want a 1st rnd pick, and everyone basically said no way. If they could bring in brooks cheap, maybe. But Brooks won't be cheap.

He's better then at least 10 current starters. People talk about Joey getting another shot. Brooks has actually put up numbers. And lots of people will blame some of his problems on the mess in NO. o-line, coaching, duece being out most of the last 2 years. always playing from behind.

I don't know, to me Brooks is a better version of Jake. Most of their mistakes come when they're down by 21 pts after 20 mins.
I believe they wanted a 1st during the season. In the off-season, Im sure he'll be cheaper than that as he hasn't really proved himself other than a few opportunities and preseason games.

Brooks may be better than 10 starting QB's but that isn't what teams are looking for, they want at the least, an upper half of the league guy. I can see Miami for Brooks, but only if Saban sees something he likes and thinks he can develop. Schaub is the guy I'd like to see the Jets get, but the Falcons want too much. I heard they wanted a 1 and more. Would Parcells want Brooks? Does anyone want Carr? Volek is probably a better option than both, although he's on the wrong side of thirty.

Bump. The QB situation in the league is deteriorating quickly. Atlanta still looks a couple of pieces short. Any more discussion about a team trading for Schaub in the offseason?

If I were any of those teams needing a QB, including the Lions, I'd give up a second round pick, but I don't think I'd give up a first rounder that would be in the top 15. With all the lineman, linebackers and defensive ends in this draft, there are going to be some top players available when most of those teams pick.

I completely agree with this statement. I think Brooks makes some bad decisions but they are made while he is trying to win the game himself. He is a much better QB when he has a decent running game, which he doesn't after ##### McSuckister goes down every year .

with Vick's injury history, I can't imagine them letting him go while they are a contending team. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised for them to try to sign him long term, although I think he would be wise to go where he could be a starter.
:yes: on all accounts...

Bump. The QB situation in the league is deteriorating quickly. Atlanta still looks a couple of pieces short. Any more discussion about a team trading for Schaub in the offseason?
I have heard a lot of hear say about teams interested in him but nothing solid. I think there will be a lot of talk but no one will end up ponying up a first rounder for him and I think that is what it is going to take to land him. I think Detroit is the perfect place for him since there are all ready receivers in place and if Martz becomes the O-coordinator, he could do some great things with Schaub.

heard a rumor of trading schaub and bringing marcus in as a backup

sounded like hogwash to me
I think it makes sense for the Falcons to draft Marcus, but they are not dumb enough to let Shaub go. Basically Shaub is stuck in Atlanta since the team knows that Vick is an injury risk on every play and they need someone dependable in case something happens. They are better off letting him play out his contract in 2006 and even if he leaves in 2007 they will get something in return since he'll be a RFA.

Users who are viewing this thread