What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

My gut tells me the money will come to open up my own space this year. I have never had that kind of faith in myself and it feels great!
:thumbup: Through investors or from saving $ from the pop up?
SBA & investors or that magical money fairy that just shows up wanting to make 12% ROI in 2 years or so.
Well may the money fairy make a stop.
The SBA, the local Community Development/Planning/Econ Development office or local Workforce support office (here in Michigan its called "MiWorks", look for something similar in your area) should have a listing of the local entrepreneur groups in your local jurisdiction. They may have some niche financing tools for popups such as yours. Id seriously look there ASAP. glllllllllllll

Last edited by a moderator:
My gut tells me the money will come to open up my own space this year. I have never had that kind of faith in myself and it feels great!
SBA & investors or that magical money fairy that just shows up wanting to make 12% ROI in 2 years or so.
Just wondering... How much would one have to invest to get to eat free at your establishment?

Just wondering... How much would one have to invest to get to eat free at your establishment?
:goodposting: this is the FFA. isn't everyone here a millionaire? We should be able to have this funded pretty quickly.

Depending on investment level, i might know 1 or 2 folks interested. I'll email you for details

Depending on investment level, i might know 1 or 2 folks interested. I'll email you for details
:goodposting:

Good Luck Tips...love reading these kinds of stories. :thumbup:

Thanks for the slaw recipe..it is one of my favorites.

You have a passion and from what I have read in the past a great knack of working with customers. Sounds like a recipe for success.

@ glumpy

Let's say I have a whole hog around 100 pounds that I am going to Indirect cook around 225-250 degrees. How long can I expect? I want to try one soon for my Tuesday night crowd.

I'm also thinking of something crazy. Opening on Fat Tuesday night around 6 for a Pig Pickin'. I can advertise with twitter, facebook, and more importantly...the 10K cars that will drive down river road that morning past the restaurant and can see & smell my smoke + chalkboard signage with my pig statue. I'll push to-go beers for the folks heading in...have pulled pork sandwiches available too...why the heck not. I'd rather sit here watching fire all day than see any stupid parade.
Cool! At 225-250 you're looking at about 6 hours or so. That's on the high end of what I target (200) but it's still good. The way I do it I'll do rib side down for the first 2-3 hours until the ribs sear a little and then flip the hog for the duration--and that's when I start saucing. If you allow 8 hours and try to keep temps on the low side that'll give you enough time for chopping and setup. If you're using wood and/or charcoal and have a full range of temperature control don't hold it much below 200 or you'll be more likely looking at a 9-10 hour cook. At 200 plan on 8 hours.
Really? I just did some butts on the smoker for the SuperBowl. Almost 12 hours at 225. Thought it would take at least as long for the whole hog..

@ glumpy

Let's say I have a whole hog around 100 pounds that I am going to Indirect cook around 225-250 degrees. How long can I expect? I want to try one soon for my Tuesday night crowd.

I'm also thinking of something crazy. Opening on Fat Tuesday night around 6 for a Pig Pickin'. I can advertise with twitter, facebook, and more importantly...the 10K cars that will drive down river road that morning past the restaurant and can see & smell my smoke + chalkboard signage with my pig statue. I'll push to-go beers for the folks heading in...have pulled pork sandwiches available too...why the heck not. I'd rather sit here watching fire all day than see any stupid parade.
Cool! At 225-250 you're looking at about 6 hours or so. That's on the high end of what I target (200) but it's still good. The way I do it I'll do rib side down for the first 2-3 hours until the ribs sear a little and then flip the hog for the duration--and that's when I start saucing. If you allow 8 hours and try to keep temps on the low side that'll give you enough time for chopping and setup. If you're using wood and/or charcoal and have a full range of temperature control don't hold it much below 200 or you'll be more likely looking at a 9-10 hour cook. At 200 plan on 8 hours.
Really? I just did some butts on the smoker for the SuperBowl. Almost 12 hours at 225. Thought it would take at least as long for the whole hog..
Yeah...this seems wrong and scares me too....i want to try a whole hog (not suckling sized) soon, but 6 hours seems impossible...thats how long i cook ribs for.

@ glumpy

Yeah...this seems wrong and scares me too....i want to try a whole hog (not suckling sized) soon, but 6 hours seems impossible...thats how long i cook ribs for.
225 it's likely closer to 8 but at 250 it definitely won't last that long. On my vertical smoker butts are taking me 6 and that's holding close to 200. It's tough with a gas smoker to keep a steady 200 so I guess when I say I'm targeting that for 8 hours it's likely a little higher. With wood as I said you can stretch it out--I've seen as much as 24 hours but then the meat is shredded. It's really all according to your cooker.

@ glumpy

225 it's likely closer to 8 but at 250 it definitely won't last that long. On my vertical smoker butts are taking me 6 and that's holding close to 200. It's tough with a gas smoker to keep a steady 200 so I guess when I say I'm targeting that for 8 hours it's likely a little higher. With wood as I said you can stretch it out--I've seen as much as 24 hours but then the meat is shredded. It's really all according to your cooker.
My smoker (a Lang 84" offset reverse flow) holds 225 - 250 most of the cooking time unless i really jack up the heat. I wish i had a pig to spare right now...going to farmers market today to hook up with the pig farmer from Mississippi for Fat Tuesday cook.

My smoker (a Lang 84" offset reverse flow) holds 225 - 250 most of the cooking time unless i really jack up the heat. I wish i had a pig to spare right now...going to farmers market today to hook up with the pig farmer from Mississippi for Fat Tuesday cook.
Nice! Never worked with one. Mine looks like this one, gas burner underneath with drip guard. Bet that makes a bigger difference than we realize.eta--on this one I've got to cheat for smoke, leaning hickory or other wood of choice on that burner underneath.

Brainstorm with me: How do I directly market to Tulane, Loyola, Ochsner, and the Corps of Engineers. Go
Hey Tipsy-congrats on what you're doing here...I got to the thread late but (sort of) in regard to Ochsner, when you are ready, you should hit up the pharma reps in your area. They buy lunch for doctors' offices on almost a daily basis. When I had my deli, probably 30% of my catering business was pharma. You should also make sure that you take some menus to your local architects' offices. They have to have a certain number of continuing education credits every year, and the majority of them come from construction materials reps that come in and do lunch-and-learn presentations.

'glumpy said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
Nice! Never worked with one. Mine looks like this one, gas burner underneath with drip guard. Bet that makes a bigger difference than we realize.eta--on this one I've got to cheat for smoke, leaning hickory or other wood of choice on that burner underneath.
I actually think that's my exact cooker! Never saw a brand on it but that's exactly how it looks. My Dad had a saying: "When everyone tells you that you're wrong, maybe it's time to reconsider what you're doing..."

Of course I had a smart-aleck response but the point is a good one: you and everyone else thinks my time and temp is off. In fact--when I smoke my butts it also takes nearly the same time as whole hog though on a different setup. So, some random thoughts:

Your smoker may be cooking at a different intensity than my cooker, despite the same temps. I know my offset is slower than my vertical smoker even with the same readings end-to-end; the fact that your Lang smoker (niiiiice :thumbup: ) might cook slower than my pig cooker doesn't surprise me though the time differential does.

It's really possible that you are cooking to more doneness than I prefer. I like texture on my ribs, f'rinstance--no way I'm smoking them for 6 hours. On the WSM I use for butts 6 hours with a lather is perfect--so long as I don't wrap for the final two (otherwise it turns mealy). I pull my pork instead of shredding it so that might make a difference too.

I was looking at some smokers and cookers and came across a whole hog recipe. Three, actually. How to Cook a Whole Pig. We might be comparing apples to oranges here--I cook mine split, Not trussed--and certainly not stuffed. That means that there is no meat that's thicker than the hams, and given a grill that the hog can spread out on it all cooks at the same time.

'Tecumseh said:
...you should hit up the pharma reps in your area. They buy lunch for doctors' offices on almost a daily basis. When I had my deli, probably 30% of my catering business was pharma....
I can't speak about New Orleans, but around my way that came to a sudden halt about a year and a half ago. However, I'm not sure if this is an industry wide thing or just common local corporate standards.

twenty hours every Tuesday might not be sustainable....I'm pretty whipped, yet...i feel great this morning. I have to skip brisket on days like this even though my leftover brisket experiment worked last week...twice. I just figured I could do that sort of thing for catering gigs & what not, but if I am going to stand out from the crowd, I HAVE to do it right. I am certain nobody else in the area is getting up & cooking food all night every night for their bbq joints, and I know it will distinguish me. I can tell in the food, and I sure as heck am going to promote that fact.

Getting great reviews on Yelp. I wish I would have had time to hit it up when I was passing through.
New one yesterday...he eats a ton each time too...
Now I'm no BBQ expert, but I know some things about smoking meat! Wait, that came out wrong.

It was a great meal with a happy ending! I left with at least four different sauces dripping down my face! Dammit!

Enough with the corny one off sex jokes. This is a legit que joint and if you enjoy real, slow and low que then you seriously need to check it out. It's served family style which means everyone sits at the same table and passes around platters of meats and sides. The utensils and paper towels were already out on the table. Johnny Cash was playing in the background. They serve sweet tea. Everything that is required for an excellent bbq journey.

As soon as I sat down the waitress brought out an amuse bouche of chili. It's weird to hear someone say "amuse bouche" and "chili" in the same sentence, but I was down to try it and as good as it was it was the worst the part of the meal.

The pulled pork is spot on. Crispy, smokey and tender. Slightly greasy. It really soaks up the sauce. I recommend the vinegar based North Carolina sauce or the Mustard based South Carolina sauce.

The smoked chicken is perfect. I've never had such good smoked chicken. It's smokey and juicy no matter what part you take. The skin is spicy, not hot spicy but spice spicy. I liked the Kansas city or the mustard based sauce to go with it.

The brisket is very good. I've had better, but it's still worthy. It had a beautiful smoke ring and was very juicy. I like the Memphis or the KC sauce with the brisket.

The ribs are the boss. Most BBQ experts argue that good meat, when smoked properly doesn't need sauce, and that is most definitely the case with these ribs. They are perfect. If you want to add some sauce, then I would recommend the vinegar or the mustard based, but they are not at all necessary.

I've been here twice now and the food has been consistantly excellent. I also think that the service has improved. The first time I went they were a little slow to bring out new platters of meat but the second time they were on the spot the entire time.

I can't recommend this enough. If you like BBQ this is THE spot in New Orleans.

Getting great reviews on Yelp. I wish I would have had time to hit it up when I was passing through.
New one yesterday...he eats a ton each time too...
Now I'm no BBQ expert, but I know some things about smoking meat! Wait, that came out wrong.

It was a great meal with a happy ending! I left with at least four different sauces dripping down my face! Dammit!

Enough with the corny one off sex jokes. This is a legit que joint and if you enjoy real, slow and low que then you seriously need to check it out. It's served family style which means everyone sits at the same table and passes around platters of meats and sides. The utensils and paper towels were already out on the table. Johnny Cash was playing in the background. They serve sweet tea. Everything that is required for an excellent bbq journey.

As soon as I sat down the waitress brought out an amuse bouche of chili. It's weird to hear someone say "amuse bouche" and "chili" in the same sentence, but I was down to try it and as good as it was it was the worst the part of the meal.

The pulled pork is spot on. Crispy, smokey and tender. Slightly greasy. It really soaks up the sauce. I recommend the vinegar based North Carolina sauce or the Mustard based South Carolina sauce.

The smoked chicken is perfect. I've never had such good smoked chicken. It's smokey and juicy no matter what part you take. The skin is spicy, not hot spicy but spice spicy. I liked the Kansas city or the mustard based sauce to go with it.

The brisket is very good. I've had better, but it's still worthy. It had a beautiful smoke ring and was very juicy. I like the Memphis or the KC sauce with the brisket.

The ribs are the boss. Most BBQ experts argue that good meat, when smoked properly doesn't need sauce, and that is most definitely the case with these ribs. They are perfect. If you want to add some sauce, then I would recommend the vinegar or the mustard based, but they are not at all necessary.

I've been here twice now and the food has been consistantly excellent. I also think that the service has improved. The first time I went they were a little slow to bring out new platters of meat but the second time they were on the spot the entire time.

I can't recommend this enough. If you like BBQ this is THE spot in New Orleans.
You should encourage diners to write reviews....give them a free side or something for incentive. Crazy how many people will dine at a restaurant based purely on Yelp.

Ah...friday....week 5 wrapping up, and even though I am not incredibly busy yet, my finances are in order enough to start paying myself each week and not drain the account to zero. When I can get that check up to the level of my old ones, I will really start to relax, but at least I see what needs to be done to make this work.

And I am still having a blast. These late nights/early mornings are awesome. Cooking, listening to loud music, not interacting with people for a few hours of being awake...love it.

Fantastic reviews Tipsy! You must have really nailed it with that Eastern NC vinegar sauce, and he seems to be high on all the meats with or without the sauces. Glad to see it's already balancing out financially--that's phenomenal! :thumbup:

Trying to make it today. Took the day off but of course had to run into the office this morning.

If I can convince the wife then I am there!

If I come I will tell the waitress " the blue frog flies at night" so you know I am there. :-)

....and fitzmorris! That's awesome man! Congrats!

Friggin awesome Tips. I will be posting on yelp and urbanspoon tonight. Mac and cheese was unreal and the taste of jalapeño in the beans was just great.

The ribs = awesomeness on a bone.

The pulled pork had the little bits of crunchy skin that just hit home.

Nola east was my favorite sauce but I have to say they were all good and distinctive.

Like I mentioned while we were there... The wife said it was the best she's had. She is a once every few months BBQ person but she said several times after we left how good it was.

Oh good meeting you also.

u are right battles...i haven't been forcing it however i am just a dork. but i have been fishing for biz & what not, so i've tried to post daily. i'm letting up on that soon.

3 awesome pieces of news today.

1. I am now in the local bbq contest as someone else dropped out and they bumped me up on the wait list !!! It's in March. Cannot wait...it will be my 1st competition in bbq ever..even as spectator. And it's all about raising money for cancer research, so I plan on setting up a thread for y'all to fork it up.

2. My old partner here @ Dante's has pointed a bar interested in landing a full time bbq joint...they were going to talk with our most famous of bbq Joints here...but my boy is having them talk to me first!!! They are already building out a full kitchen space next to their bar. :fingerscrossed: Could open up full time with nothing but a rent check.

3. The local weekly fish wrap "the Gambit" is coming to photo shoot & interview me this Monday for a full review of my restaurant. This is HUGE coming into Mardi Gras & Jazz fest publication times. I cannot believe this is all happening so fast.

u are right battles...i haven't been forcing it however i am just a dork. but i have been fishing for biz & what not, so i've tried to post daily. i'm letting up on that soon.3 awesome pieces of news today.1. I am now in the local bbq contest as someone else dropped out and they bumped me up on the wait list !!! It's in March. Cannot wait...it will be my 1st competition in bbq ever..even as spectator. And it's all about raising money for cancer research, so I plan on setting up a thread for y'all to fork it up.2. My old partner here @ Dante's has pointed a bar interested in landing a full time bbq joint...they were going to talk with our most famous of bbq Joints here...but my boy is having them talk to me first!!! They are already building out a full kitchen space next to their bar. :fingerscrossed: Could open up full time with nothing but a rent check.3. The local weekly fish wrap "the Gambit" is coming to photo shoot & interview me this Monday for a full review of my restaurant. This is HUGE coming into Mardi Gras & Jazz fest publication times. I cannot believe this is all happening so fast.
I am so happy for you and your business.

u are right battles...i haven't been forcing it however i am just a dork. but i have been fishing for biz & what not, so i've tried to post daily. i'm letting up on that soon.3 awesome pieces of news today.1. I am now in the local bbq contest as someone else dropped out and they bumped me up on the wait list !!! It's in March. Cannot wait...it will be my 1st competition in bbq ever..even as spectator. And it's all about raising money for cancer research, so I plan on setting up a thread for y'all to fork it up.2. My old partner here @ Dante's has pointed a bar interested in landing a full time bbq joint...they were going to talk with our most famous of bbq Joints here...but my boy is having them talk to me first!!! They are already building out a full kitchen space next to their bar. :fingerscrossed: Could open up full time with nothing but a rent check.3. The local weekly fish wrap "the Gambit" is coming to photo shoot & interview me this Monday for a full review of my restaurant. This is HUGE coming into Mardi Gras & Jazz fest publication times. I cannot believe this is all happening so fast.
Great things happen to great people congrats :thumbup:

I am so happy for you and your business.
:goodposting: If I ever make it down to NO this will be on my must visit places.

Awesome. I have a birthday party to go to right smack in the middle of the BBQ contest, but we're going to try to hit it up before or after at least.

Congrats--Good Luck!! :thumbup:

So...

Photographed & interviewed by Offbeat Magazine yesterday morning.

Phone interviewed by Gambit yesterday afternoon.

3 hours on the local food guy show (tom fitzmorris)

Filmed by a documentary maker on Friday (no idea where that came from, but they spent 20 minutes filming me on camera)

On the local FOX news show this past week.

On the evening PBS gadabout show a couple of weeks ago.

Article coming out in another local fish wrap this week.

Our biggest local blogger interviewing me after mardi gras.

Two other bloggers gooey over me already.

Invited to participate in the bbq competition this March, even though all spots were filled in a week this past summer.

And the local reporter for the NY Times called to talk about pop ups & other things with Chef...now he knows about my BBQ too!!!

And my family even eats my stuff cold...its amazing.

Now I just need the crowds to come in!!!

So...Photographed & interviewed by Offbeat Magazine yesterday morning.Phone interviewed by Gambit yesterday afternoon.Filmed by a documentary maker on Friday (no idea where that came from, but they spent 20 minutes filming me on camera)On the local FOX news show this past week.On the evening PBS gadabout show a couple of weeks ago.Article coming out in another local fish wrap this week.Our biggest local blogger interviewing me after mardi gras.Two other bloggers gooey over me already.Invited to participate in the bbq competition this March, even though all spots were filled in a week this past summer.And my family even eats my stuff cold...its amazing.Now I just need the crowds to come in!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread