What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (3 Viewers)

tipsy mcstagger said:
wow. 715 people got food from McClure's yesterday. For perspective....8 of my 28 weeks of being open had less than 700 people come through.
Insane... how did the staff hold up? What was the rough order mix (tacos, sandwiches, ribs, etc?)

Congrats on the success!

tipsy mcstagger said:
wow. 715 people got food from McClure's yesterday. For perspective....8 of my 28 weeks of being open had less than 700 people come through.
Nice!

According to the population clock, with 7.15B people, you will have the world fed in 27,397 years at that rate. You're going to need a little bit more meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
the staff was fine but tired...the mix was fairly even. we closed lunch today to prep and clean and take 5 mins to breathe...although I wish I had just opened us up this morning as a ton of people are waiting for brunch across the street in the suddenly yucky morning....whatever...I'll open by 2 and deal with the parades rolling down the street and call it a night. Closed fat tuesday and ash wednesday so we can all rest.

I was down in New Orleans this weekend for my cousin's wedding. Yesterday, I took my cousin, her new husband, my brother, and a bunch of the wedding party to McClure's for lunch during the parades. The streets out front of McClure's were lined with people watching the parade and there was a line almost out the door when we arrived. We sat at stools by the window and warched the parade through the big window front of the restaurant while we ate. It was a great setup for watching the parade while eating.

I had the pulled pork tacos, a brisket sandwich, smoked jambalaya, and macaroni and cheese. Everything was truly exceptional. The pulled pork and brisket were both so tender with a great spicy bark and a beautiful pink smoke ring. The brisket and pulled pork were both amongst the best I've ever had. I really enjoyed the Texas barbecue sauce with the brisket and the NOLA East sauce with the pulled pork. The smoked jambalaya was incredible. I went back and bought a second serving of the jambalaya just so my brother didn't miss his chance to try it. The creamy white mac and cheese with breadcrumbs was a perfect compliment to the spice of the barbecue and jambalaya.

Everyone in my party was extremely impressed with the food. One of my cousin's friends who is a chef that went to culinary school said that it was the best barbecue she had ever had. Other people were saying it was the best food they had all weekend in New Orleans. As I was eating and waiting in line, I kept overhearing other random people raving about how amazing everything was. Two of the comments that I overheard from different groups of people were "Oh...my....God. This is so delicious" and "This was the best idea ever." It was cool seeing all of the overwhelming positive reactions of the customers. There will definitely be a lot of people spreading positive buzz about McClure's after this busy Mardi Gras weekend.

Neil was, of course, incredibly accommodating and generous. It was great meeting you and getting to chat for a few minutes. Thanks for everything and keep up the great work! I'm looking forward to returning in the future, as we are going to try to make Mardi Gras in New Orleans a new family tradition after having such a blast this weekend.

We spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out across the street from McClure's watching the parade. It was my favorite parade watching spot of the weekend. There was a cool bar across the street that had a solid beer selection and live music. I took a few pictures of McClure's during the parade that I thought were cool. You can see Neil in the first one perched over by his smoker watching and cheering on the parade.

http://imageshack.com/a/img833/6999/q3lr.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img838/6503/z4w1.jpg

My Tacos: We aren't doing anything earth shattering....we grill off a yellow corn tortilla, stuff it with our smoked meats, and let you go to the topping bar. @ the bar: cilantro, limes, onions, pico de gallo, chopped escobeche (housed pickled carrots, onions, and jalapenos with thyme ), raw chopped jalapenos, slaw, queso fresco crumbles, and 3 salsas...verde, rojo, and FIYA.

The smoked meat is why they rock harder than even most taco trucks around here I must say....
motherf'n IN!!!!!!!!!!

This is great to read. Now I just really need to find a reason to get to NO. If you ever feel the need to ship some BBQ, feel free. :)

My boy Lombardi and family were at McClure's today...I expect a glorious write-up soon.

He told me it's the best BBQ he's ever had...

Tipsy,

I'm going to LA in April with my 13 year old son to see a LSU/Tulane baseball game. I'd love to stop by and check out your barbecue. My son has a peanut allergy, do you use peanut oil or peanuts or can you make food that's not cross contaminated?

Also do you or any other natives have any suggestions for stuff to do in N.O. or Baton Rouge for a dad and 13 year old (sadly bar hopping is out of the question :cry: ). I am going to be in Baton Rouge the 22nd for the game and staying in N.O. the 23rd so basically only have one day/night to hang out.

We are planning on staying at the Bourbon Hotel in N.O. I've been to N.O. years ago and had a blast but this is kind of a different deal having my son. Thanks

Tipsy,

I'm going to LA in April with my 13 year old son to see a LSU/Tulane baseball game. I'd love to stop by and check out your barbecue. My son has a peanut allergy, do you use peanut oil or peanuts or can you make food that's not cross contaminated?

Also do you or any other natives have any suggestions for stuff to do in N.O. or Baton Rouge for a dad and 13 year old (sadly bar hopping is out of the question :cry: ). I am going to be in Baton Rouge the 22nd for the game and staying in N.O. the 23rd so basically only have one day/night to hang out.

We are planning on staying at the Bourbon Hotel in N.O. I've been to N.O. years ago and had a blast but this is kind of a different deal having my son. Thanks
check the nola thread. I thought the WW2 museum was fantastic and something the two of you would enjoy

Tipsy,

You an LSU or Tulane fan? If LSU, just walking around campus for a bit would be pretty cool. Look at the Mike the Tiger cage, Tiger Stadium, etc. Also, I would think a 13 year old boy would like to go eat at Walk-Ons before the game...huge sports bar type place that is family friendly.

Tipsy,

You an LSU or Tulane fan? If LSU, just walking around campus for a bit would be pretty cool. Look at the Mike the Tiger cage, Tiger Stadium, etc. Also, I would think a 13 year old boy would like to go eat at Walk-Ons before the game...huge sports bar type place that is family friendly.
LSU, thanks for the suggestions.

i love the pics buckfast....great to "meat" (chuckle) ya.
:hifive:

I've been thinking about your barbecue all week. Absolutely world-class. I was talking to my friend/fantasy football commissioner last night, and I think we are going to try to host our fantasy football draft in New Orleans this August. We have a storied league tradition of always eating barbecue on draft day, so If we end up doing it in New Orleans, we will have to chat about the logistics of picking up a big order for draft day.

Buckfast 1 said:
i love the pics buckfast....great to "meat" (chuckle) ya.
:hifive:

I've been thinking about your barbecue all week. Absolutely world-class. I was talking to my friend/fantasy football commissioner last night, and I think we are going to try to host our fantasy football draft in New Orleans this August. We have a storied league tradition of always eating barbecue on draft day, so If we end up doing it in New Orleans, we will have to chat about the logistics of picking up a big order for draft day.
done. have it here if you need.

ROCKET said:
Tipsy,

No idea about Baton Rouge...I only know where the stadium & whataburger are over there.

Here...zoo...aquarium....insectarium....swamp boat rides....streetcar ride to city park / art museum / cool cemetaries.....just walking around the french quarter is a good experience for even a 13 year old...the french market...cafe du monde...the river...steamboat ride...walk the kid around Tulane & Loyola so they see some world class universities...

I am not being overly dramatic when I say I almost died here at work yesterday.

I only slept three hours Thursday night....I hosted a poker game / team meeting for hogs for the cause that lasted until 2 am+. After getting the restaurant running and taking a couple of catering orders I slipped into "get the heck out" mode and was getting more food on the smoker so I could turn it over to my assistant pit guy and go get some sleep.

I lifted the very heavy door of the smoker, something I do dozens of times a day, and thought it was fully open & let go of my grip on it while sneaking a peak at the meat in the back....WHAM. Door to smoker fell on the back of my head knocking me out almost cold. I lost control of my legs and such and hit the deck where I was stunned, drooling, and moaning face down in a pile of wood chips and my soot pile until a stranger walking by saw me and got my cook to come help.

Lots of ice & aleve...discussion with a nurse from a neurosurgery department (ie my mother) about if I needed an ER visit but decided not too since my vision was fine, I wasn't nauseous, and I wasn't dizzy after a few minutes back on my feet.

Slight headache this morning...slight swelling on back of my head....sore as heck to touch.

But...2 inches away was the internal thermometer probe which would have gone 4 inches into my brain if I had been under that part of the door. It freaked me out pretty good.

Back on the horse.....

I only slept three hours Thursday night....I hosted a poker game / team meeting for hogs for the cause that lasted until 2 am+. After getting the restaurant running and taking a couple of catering orders I slipped into "get the heck out" mode and was getting more food on the smoker so I could turn it over to my assistant pit guy and go get some sleep.

I lifted the very heavy door of the smoker, something I do dozens of times a day, and thought it was fully open & let go of my grip on it while sneaking a peak at the meat in the back....WHAM. Door to smoker fell on the back of my head knocking me out almost cold. I lost control of my legs and such and hit the deck where I was stunned, drooling, and moaning face down in a pile of wood chips and my soot pile until a stranger walking by saw me and got my cook to come help.

Lots of ice & aleve...discussion with a nurse from a neurosurgery department (ie my mother) about if I needed an ER visit but decided not too since my vision was fine, I wasn't nauseous, and I wasn't dizzy after a few minutes back on my feet.

Slight headache this morning...slight swelling on back of my head....sore as heck to touch.

But...2 inches away was the internal thermometer probe which would have gone 4 inches into my brain if I had been under that part of the door. It freaked me out pretty good.

Back on the horse.....
Damn, glad you are okay.

Back on the horse.....
:scared:

Damn, glad you're OK.

Back on the horse.....
"At least he died doing something he loved"

j/k GB

Speaking of Hogs, won't be able to join the team this year unfortunately; but do you get credit if we buy tickets through you or something?

Back on the horse.....
Geez, glad you are OK.

One quick recommendation, make sure the door is fully open. You don't want to be the next member of 98 degrees.

Note: If you had died, I wouldn't have made the joke. :D

Back on the horse.....
"At least he died doing something he loved"

j/k GB

Speaking of Hogs, won't be able to join the team this year unfortunately; but do you get credit if we buy tickets through you or something?
yes...tix do get me credits...buy online

I have been a little slow this week....my motor skills are definitely not normal. I tripped and fell (yes...walking to the pit) two days ago smacking my face and apparently my ribs pretty good on the bricks simply because I didn't lift my foot fast enough for my pace.

I guess the lid falling did give me at least a slight concussion. At least my head isn't pounding anymore...nor is it too sensitive for combing anymore either. I did start closing Tuesdays so I can force myself to rest some. I only worked 4 hours or so yesterday for my first day off since two weeks ago! :victory: Funny thing is I really don't mind the hours except for its time away from the kids & helping w the house duties.

Tipsy, you need to rest. You need to build into the business so you can work reasonable hours. I know you know this. I also know you are probably the best at the pit and the best manager you can find. But for your own health and not getting burned out, you've got to replicate yourself. Soon.

Tipsy, you need to rest. You need to build into the business so you can work reasonable hours. I know you know this. I also know you are probably the best at the pit and the best manager you can find. But for your own health and not getting burned out, you've got to replicate yourself. Soon.
too true. but i don't wanna give up control...... :cry:

Going on the local FOX affiliate again this morning.....kind of a promo / demonstration for&with the Hogs for the Cause guys.

Travel Channel show filming on Monday

Local Food Radio Show on Tuesday

I'm living in some kind of weird reality right now. Never would I have dreamed of being such a media whore.

Users who are viewing this thread