What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McCown to Lions (1 Viewer)

kook178

Footballguy
If this is bunk, I will take it down. Did anyone else just hear that the Lions signed Josh McCown?

I apologize as I was on a conference call with ESPN in the background. If I misheard, sorry.

kook

Last edited by a moderator:
No that is correct...signed a 2 year deal. Looks like Harrington is done in detroit. I am sad to see him go, I think he will have a decent career elsewhere.

Here is the real question. If Lions management saw this coming...why wouldnt they make a play for Brees or Culpepper. Are Kitna and McCown really sufficient?

No that is correct...signed a 2 year deal. Looks like Harrington is done in detroit. I am sad to see him go, I think he will have a decent career elsewhere.

Here is the real question. If Lions management saw this coming...why wouldnt they make a play for Brees or Culpepper. Are Kitna and McCown really sufficient?
It's not like the Vikings were going to trade Culpepper to the Lions. I think they should have tried a little harder for Brees though.

so kitna has a 4 year, Mccown has a 2 year, King has 4 year? and Orlovsky has 3 left?

I read this as kitna starts, Mccown has the oppurtunity to take it away, and if not, next year, kitna is grooming someother prospect?

king or orlovsky go to practice squad.. i guess O

Maybe the Cards can sign Harrington as a backup. If so, we'll have effectively traded one "all the potential in the world, but never lived up to a shred of it" QB for another.

Maybe the Cards can sign Harrington as a backup. If so, we'll have effectively traded one "all the potential in the world, but never lived up to a shred of it" QB for another.
Mike Martz has made a career out of getting the most out of QB's whose pedigrees aren't superb..lets go Josh..

As a Roy Williams owner I am giddy. I'm thinking that he may not be all that great for the first 4 or 5 games until McCown learns the offense and builds a rapport, but I can see Roy being a Monster down the stretch. Try trade for the guy after week 3 when his stats are low....

so kitna has a 4 year, Mccown has a 2 year, King has 4 year? and Orlovsky has 3 left?

I read this as kitna starts, Mccown has the oppurtunity to take it away, and if not, next year, kitna is grooming someother prospect?

My own belief is that McCown better fits the physical tools Martz looks for in a qb and that McCown--not Kitna--will start in Detroit when the dust settles.This will be a very interesting thing to watch over the summer.

My own belief is that McCown better fits the physical tools Martz looks for in a qb and that McCown--not Kitna--will start in Detroit when the dust settles.This will be a very interesting thing to watch over the summer.
I agree. Gun slinger with a quick release. Kitna isn't that guy....

Kitna isn't known for tremendous downfield arm strength. What's the scoop on McCown...better? Much, much better?

I love this signing, I think McCown can be an above average NFL starter and, given his mobility, quite a solid fantasy player under the right tutelage. It'll be a great battle to see whether Kitna or McCown win out.

From what I've heard, King is just going to be brought into camp as a fourth QB to learn the offense, in case the Lions need to sign someone in the middle of the season. The coaches like Orlovsky, and won't put him on the practice squad -- he'll be #3. King has been in the league too long to be signed to the PS.
Practice Squad Eligibility

A team may establish a practice squad of no more than eight* players who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 45-player active list for less than nine regular season games during their only accrued season. A player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than two seasons
http://www.vertgame.com/rules_defs.html

I'm a fan of McCown. He had back to back games last season vs San Fransisco and Carolina, where he was 61-92 779 yards 4Td's, he did throw 3 picks, all vs Carolina, and rushed for 61 yards. Josh was 3-3 as starter last year, Arizona only won 5 games, not too bad. I don't understand Green keeping Warner over him

Some think he is nothing more than a carreer back-up, I totally diagree. I think he is NFL starting material.

I'm a fan of McCown. He had back to back games last season vs San Fransisco and Carolina, where he was 61-92 779 yards 4Td's, he did throw 3 picks, all vs Carolina, and rushed for 61 yards. Josh was 3-3 as starter last year, Arizona only won 5 games, not too bad. I don't understand Green keeping Warner over him

Some think he is nothing more than a carreer back-up, I totally diagree. I think he is NFL starting material.
He is a career backup. Big passing numbers = result of Dennis Green's offense.I think a lot of the McCown fans on this board are guys that had McCown on their FF team, but seldom watched McCown play.

Here's a cliff notes guide to McCown:

- Has trouble progressing through his reads.

- Gets happy feet.

- Pulls it down and runs with it far too often.

- Very excitable. When this happens, tends to make dumb mistakes and to give up the ball.

Make no mistake, he has all the measurables. If the light bulb goes on, he could be fantasic. But Dennis Green thought, "This guy has it all physically. Under my tutaledge, he can become a great one." Well, you see how that worked out.

Maybe Martz can mold McCown into a great QB. But that's not the way to bet.

I'm a fan of McCown.   He had back to back games last season vs San Fransisco and Carolina, where he was 61-92  779 yards  4Td's, he did throw 3 picks, all vs Carolina, and rushed for 61 yards.  Josh was 3-3 as starter last year, Arizona only won 5 games, not too bad.  I don't understand Green keeping Warner over him

Some think he is nothing more than a carreer back-up, I totally diagree.  I think he is NFL starting material.
He is a career backup. Big passing numbers = result of Dennis Green's offense.I think a lot of the McCown fans on this board are guys that had McCown on their FF team, but seldom watched McCown play.

- Gets happy feet.

- Very excitable. When this happens, tends to make dumb mistakes and to give up the ball.

Make no mistake, he has all the measurables. If the light bulb goes on, he could be fantasic. But Dennis Green thought, "This guy has it all physically. Under my tutaledge, he can become a great one." Well, you see how that worked out.

I'll see your Denny Green and raise a Mike Martz every day of the week.I also find it humorous that you credit any success he's had to Dennis Green--implying that there just is no way he'll be able to do that well with a chump like Martz.

Yeah, you Cardinal fans were happy to see "bust" Thomas Jones leave, too.

Enough said.

I'm a fan of McCown.  He had back to back games last season vs San Fransisco and Carolina, where he was 61-92  779 yards  4Td's, he did throw 3 picks, all vs Carolina, and rushed for 61 yards.  Josh was 3-3 as starter last year, Arizona only won 5 games, not too bad.  I don't understand Green keeping Warner over him

Some think he is nothing more than a carreer back-up, I totally diagree.  I think he is NFL starting material.

- Gets happy feet.

If your cliff notes are correct, he'll get skewered in Detroit.

- Gets happy feet.

Somebody gets it. lol @ the McCown love.

"As a Roy Williams owner I am giddy."

lol (It was JOSH MCCOWN you know)

I think maybe kinda happy or mildly pleased would be a better fit than giddy

Sell high :excited:

Sell 'em all high :thumbup:

There are enough of us who are enamoured with the POTENTIAL for a QB in a Martz system that the time to move them is right now, before anything gets sorted out. There's no guarantees that even after the sorting the Lions can put up Rams-like numbers . . .

Note: As a Roy Williams owner in many leagues, I'm hopeful the offense will be more explosive, but my hope is shaded with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I'm a fan of McCown.  He had back to back games last season vs San Fransisco and Carolina, where he was 61-92  779 yards  4Td's, he did throw 3 picks, all vs Carolina, and rushed for 61 yards.  Josh was 3-3 as starter last year, Arizona only won 5 games, not too bad.  I don't understand Green keeping Warner over him

- Gets happy feet.

Let me get this straight....dump the QB who wins 3 of the 6 games he starts and keep the guy who won 2 of the 9. WOW that Denny Green is money in the bank.I have watched McCown play and for the most part you are right about his faults. With any kind of GOOD coaching they can be corrected. He nearly passed for 400 yards back to back games last season, so he must do a few things right...huh

Yeah, I remember Ram fans jumping off of buildings--and **** Vermeil crying (yes, CRYING)--when Trent Green went down in preseason a few years back. "Oh, no!" they wailed. "We have a friggin grocery store bagger starting for us at QB now! I wonder what we'll do with the #1 overall pick next year!"Dismiss a Martz-coached McCown at your own peril.

come on guys. Did any of you think Warner would put up the type of #s he did when he took over for Green. I am a McCown owner in 2 leagues and I am going to wait and see what happens. Unless someone wants to over pay for him.

Yeah, I remember Ram fans jumping off of buildings--and **** Vermeil crying (yes, CRYING)--when Trent Green went down in preseason a few years back. "Oh, no!" they wailed. "We have a friggin grocery store bagger starting for us at QB now! I wonder what we'll do with the #1 overall pick next year!"Dismiss a Martz-coached McCown at your own peril.
Rams fans werent jumping off much of anything because they were coming off a 5-11 season and were all already dead. Look, we all love the optimism here with Detroit. Im not a Lions fan, but Ive been hoping for years theyd come around because my stepdad is from Detroit. That said, the Lions do not have the quality of WR that St Louis had with Martz there....specifically the speed or precision route running. Martz is a good OC. Goofy Head Coach, but great O mind obviously. What he ISNT is a miracle worker. McCown should be good, but this situation has got ugly QB controversy written over it because Kitna is a better QB than McCown, and this team needs to win NOW.

Throw them all against the wall and see what sticks.

Rams fans werent jumping off much of anything because they were coming off a 5-11 season and were all already dead. Look, we all love the optimism here with Detroit. Im not a Lions fan, but Ive been hoping for years theyd come around because my stepdad is from Detroit. That said, the Lions do not have the quality of WR that St Louis had with Martz there....specifically the speed or precision route running. Martz is a good OC. Goofy Head Coach, but great O mind obviously. What he ISNT is a miracle worker. McCown should be good, but this situation has got ugly QB controversy written over it because Kitna is a better QB than McCown, and this team needs to win NOW.
In 99 Martz had Bruce. Period. And a rookie Holt who put up so-so numbers.

The McNown Signing now clears the way for Millen to draft a WR in the first round. :thumbup:
Congratulations: you are the one-millioneth person to use that joke. Pick up your free fruit drink at the customer service desk.
Ok well can you tell me if Vinny Testaverde will be brought in for a tryout? Can't have too many QB's you know!

The McNown Signing now clears the way for Millen to draft a WR in the first round. :thumbup:
Congratulations: you are the one-millioneth person to use that joke. Pick up your free fruit drink at the customer service desk.
It is getting very old.
You know it's getting bad when even the "You're the millionth person to make that joke" line is getting old.

Seriously, why sign another QB?? Why not just go after McNown from the start?? QB controversies never end well.

It is a good thing Joey is leaving. I can't figure out how he lasted in the NFL longer than Ryan Leaf.

Kitna this, McCown that....... Roy Williams this, drafting a WR that...... Martz this, Millan that..... None of this will be of any significance if they don't improve that OLine. I would not disagree with anyone in their right mind that Harrington is NOT GOOD and Garcia ran around like he was chasing a Playboy bunny. They made their decisions but the line was the factor in many of those decisions. Kitna will stay in the pocket and likely make much better decisions. Best of Luck to the Lions. I think their offense has off the chart potential but they need to upgrade the line..

It is getting very old.
You know it's getting bad when even the "You're the millionth person to make that joke" line is getting old.
How does a WIS team win 17 games in a row, and still be 20 games under .500?

King will either be dropped or placed on the practice squad. He was brought in as a body to throw footballs around in training camp.

Seriously, why sign another QB?? Why not just go after McNown from the start?? QB controversies never end well.

It is a good thing Joey is leaving. I can't figure out how he lasted in the NFL longer than Ryan Leaf.
Because Cade McNown sucks and has been out of football for years?

so kitna has a 4 year, Mccown has a 2 year, King has 4 year?  and Orlovsky has 3 left?

Throw them all against the wall and see what sticks.
If that's the preferred method of selecting a starting QB this season, the Lions should've signed Gus Frerotte. At least he's got experience in that area. :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread