What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Meltdown in Japan's Reactors (1 Viewer)

If there was a chance of a bigger release of radiation, it seems sensible to order the evacuation before rather than after the release.

Turbines are in the turbine bldg, well away from the reactor bldg. Anything in the reactor bldg has to be contained within ridiculously thick walls. In addition, anything in there is (by definition) radioactive, so doing maintenance is all of a sudden a huuuuge PITA. In other words, unless it absolutely has to be in the reactor bldg, it is not put in there.

You have it backwards on circulation, there are fail safes in order to maintain circulation. Without circulation you have meltdown. The rods have to be constantly cooled by water flowing through / over them. Now, you can slow the nuclear release (ie heating) by surrounding the nuclear fuel with graphite rods (which can be lowered / raised to control heat rate). The graphite acts as a moderator that slows down / absorbs neutrons being released. It appears that there may have been a problem with this mechanism for these two reactors.

So wilked is actually working on a nuclear reactor in Saudi?Wonderful.....
No need for nukes out here when you can almost literally drop a straw in the ground and drink oil for power...By the way, filled up my gas tank with 50 cent / gallon oil today, less than $7 to fill my Camry from empty :-)Edit to add: No need for nukes for power generation :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Way past my bedtime...I will wrap it up by saying I am no expert and might have some of the above wrong (Pickles will let me know), but hopefully helped paint the picture a bit. There seem to be two opinions on far ends in this thread, my opinion is somewhere in-between. I do think there are a lot of people (Greenpeace, for instance) going into hysterics over this, playing it up to be worse than it is. But it is a real and serious threat, and 'pumping seawater over it' is not a longterm solution. This problem will not go away, nuclear half lives are not short. This is a big problem for both Japan and the nuclear industry as a whole. What pisses me off as an engineer is the generator not working. This thing has got to be tested monthly, and if it was not then people should go to jail. Something doesn't add up for me, but obviously I am working with a very partial picture / facts

From Greenpeace (It's pretty scary stuff):Our thoughts are with our colleagues, friends and all the people of Japan as they continue to deal with the aftereffects of yesterday’s earthquake and tsunami. We are tracking the developments at Japan's nuclear plants as they race to try to avoid a meltdown.

Nuclear plants like the one at Fukushima were never designed to withstand a meltdown of the reactor core and wont. This is an excerpt from our Greenpeace Report : American Chernobyl:

The MYTH of CONTAINMENT:

For a reactor accident to have Chernobyl like consequences a meltdown must be accompanied by containment failure. Unfortunately the term “containment” belies the facts. The public interest community has long been aware that the containments around many of the US reactors are more myth than reality.

As early as 1971, government regulators knew that the public’s last line of defense against the radiation, the reactor containment, was virtually worthless yet licensed the General Electric (GE) and Westinghouse Ice Condenser reactors anyway. When an Atomic Energy Commission’s (AEC) staff member suggested that this type of containment design be banned in the U.S. the AEC’s deputy director for technical review responded that it “could well be the end of nuclear power. It would throw into question the continued operation of licensed plants, could make unlicensable the GE and Westinghouse ice condenser plants now in review and would generally create more turmoil than I can think about.” (See Appendix B.)

Of course the nuclear bureaucrats did not want to reveal the truth about the fallibility of the nuclear reactors they had already licensed as “safe” and attempted to withhold the information from the public.

Only though the efforts of the Union of Concerned Scientists, their attorneys and those at Public Citizen did the information eventually come to light under the Freedom of Information Act.

In 1986 Harold Denton, former director of NRC's Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation, again acknowledged this vulnerability while speaking to utilities executives at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Denton noted that, according to NRC studies the GE Mark I reactors had “something like a 90% probability of that containment failing."

Pardon my Japanese but these nuclear power plants are FUKUshima alright. :hot:

One of 3 reactors in the Fukushima Daiichi plant is in trouble.

Over at the Fukushima Daini plant, cooling system had failed at three out of four units. :unsure:

I wonder how many of the Japanese nuclear plant workers are being exposed to lethal doses of radiation. Do they keep working out of a sense of duty? :needsofthemany:

I believe Greenpeace believes solar, wind and energy generated by people on stationary bicycles are all safe alternatives to nuclear power.

Some nuclear power expert on CNN said Japan's attempt to fill the reactor with sea water is a shot in the dark. He said adding sea water is a last ditch attempt to prevent a melt down, that is not part of any safety process for any nuclear plant anywhere in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monju_Nuclear_Power_PlantMonju sodium leak and fireOn December 8, 1995, the reactor suffered a serious accident. Intense vibration caused a thermowell inside a pipe carrying sodium coolant to break, possibly at a defective weld point, allowing several hundred kilograms of sodium to leak out onto the floor below the pipe. Upon coming into contact with the air, the liquid sodium reacted with oxygen and moisture in the air, filling the room with caustic fumes and producing temperatures of several hundred degrees Celsius. The heat was so intense that it melted several steel structures in the room. An alarm sounded around 7:30 p.m., switching the system over to manual operations, but a full operational shutdown was not ordered until around 9:00 p.m., after the fumes were spotted. When investigators located the source of the spill they found as much as three tons of solidified sodium.

Fortunately, the leak occurred in the plant's secondary cooling system, so the sodium was not radioactive. However, there was massive public outrage in Japan when it was revealed that Power Reactor and Nuclear Fuel Development Corporation (PNC), the semigovernmental agency then in charge of Monju, had tried to cover up the extent of the accident and resulting damage. This coverup included falsifying reports and the editing of a videotape taken immediately after the accident, as well as the issuing of a gag order to employees regarding the existence of the real tapes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shika_Nuclear_Power_Plant1999 Criticality EventOn June 18, 1999 during an inspection, an emergency control rod insertion was to be performed on Unit 1. One rod was to be inserted into the reactor, however, due to improper following of the procedure, instead of one rod inserting, 3 rods withdrew. For the next 15 minutes, the reactor was in a dangerous criticality state. This event was not revealed until March 15, 2007, since it was covered up in the records. The unit has been shut down since that date

Some nuclear power expert on CNN said Japan's attempt to fill the reactor with sea water is a shot in the dark. He said adding sea water is a last ditch attempt to prevent a melt down, that is not part of any safety process for any nuclear plant anywhere in the world.
That's my take on it as well.

From Greenpeace
Well. If there's one organization I expect to be entirely reasonable and level headed in their attempts to remain unbiased, it's Greenpeace. They surely have no agenda. :thumbup:
I don't care. It's always seemed irrelevant to me when I hear these sort of arguments. Of course Greenpeace is partisan, and we have to take that into account. But that's no reason not to study what they're saying and decide whether it has merit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Electric_Power_CompanyOn August 29, 2002, the government of Japan revealed that TEPCO was guilty of false reporting in routine governmental inspection of its nuclear plants and systematic concealment of plant safety incidents. All seventeen of its boiling-water reactors were shut down for inspection as a result. TEPCO's president, Nobuya Minami, was later forced to resign, and the utility "eventually admitted to two hundred occasions over more than two decades between 1977 and 2002, involving the submission of false technical data to authorities".

anyway you get the point, there are plenty more examples

Apples & oranges. Does this "semigovermental agency" still regulate the industry?The whole world is watching this time around. I'll stand by my statement, for now. ;)

From Greenpeace
Well. If there's one organization I expect to be entirely reasonable and level headed in their attempts to remain unbiased, it's Greenpeace. They surely have no agenda. :thumbup:
I don't care. It's always seemed irrelevant to me when I hear these sort of arguments. Of course Greenpeace is partisan, and we have to take that into account. But that's no reason not to study what they're saying and decide whether it has merit.
Especially when they quote a guy from 1986.

From Greenpeace
I realize everyone has a bias. But certain people/groups have consistently painted themselves into a corner and I believe they should be ignored. Glen Beck makes a statement? I ignore him. If Jim Lehrer (PBS newshour) makes the same statement? I leap to attention. I admittedly did not give the earthquake thread as much credibility as it clearly deserves when I first opened it back on page one. Not because I think Japan or earthquakes are no big deal but because Ham started it. And he's always starting end of the world doomsday threads. Greenpeace wants me to take them seriously and not dismiss their arguments? Fine. Try earning my respect by acting like a reasonable and level headed organization. I'm not going to bother figuring out if this is the one time you're not a bunch of lunatics. Nobody is. That's not my fault - it's theirs.

I wouldn't trust the US government to be completely forthcoming at this stage in this situation, not sure why I would expect the Japanese government to be any different.

From Greenpeace
So we should consider each report from FoxNews on any topic to be accurate until proven otherwise?

I wouldn't trust the US government to be completely forthcoming at this stage in this situation, not sure why I would expect the Japanese government to be any different.
:goodposting: Agreed. Or rather, I would say the default response of any government regarding containment of a nuclear power plant meltdown would be "It's under control, the radioactive release was minimal and everything is going to be OK".When I read this:
Japanese news media said three workers at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station had suffered radiation exposure.
I can't help but wonder what the real number of exposed workers will end up being.

Wilked is "The Bomb" as far as nuclear reactor knowledge goes!

ETA: Before someone calls me out, I'm not trying to be insensitive and make a joke around a tragic situation. His knowledge level is in fact impressive though and has really helped me understand a lot of things I didn't before coming in here.

From Greenpeace
Especially when they quote a guy from 1986.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usg7-xbQOcM

[5:48 p.m. ET, 7:48 a.m. Tokyo] A meltdown may be under way at one of Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactors, an official with Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency told CNN Sunday.

A meltdown is a catastrophic failure of the reactor core, with a potential for widespread radiation release. However, Toshiro Bannai, director of the agency's international affairs office, expressed confidence that efforts to control the crisis would prove successful.

Meanwhile, a second reactor at the same facility failed shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday, the Tokyo Electric Power Company said, according to TV Asahi. The power company said it was having difficulty cooling the reactor and may need to release radioactive steam in order to relieve pressure.

wow. Just getting into this and sure somebody said something, but...can't...help....myself....1. Seems likely

2. Yup

3. This should be a poll

Wilked - BWR and PWR?
BWR is Boiling Water Reactor. Basically, water is fed over and through the nuclear rods, which heat the water and convert it to steam. This same steam then is routed to a turbine, where it spins the turbine and makes electricity. The steam is then condensed and used again. The water and steam are both 'dirty' (radioactive).PWR is Pressurized Water Reactor. At very high pressures (couple thousand PSI) water is fed over and through the nuclear rods, and exits as extremely hot, high pressure water. It then enters a Steam Generator (big heat exchanger), and gives up its heat to 'clean' water, which turns to steam, and turns the turbine to generate electricity.One big safety difference is that PWRs are self-limiting, ie do not have the tendency to 'run away' during emergency scenarios like this. On the other hand BWRs are very susceptible to that runaway temperature / pressure buildupAlso, the new reactor designs are much safer than both of these, and are apples and oranges... I am very much pro-nuclear
Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. It's clear you and bueno both are experts compared the rest of us, but we like to follow what's going on and learn stuff. Thanks for speaking in simple and clear terms. :thumbup:
:thumbup:

Ummm... sorry- link to these having actually melted down, as per Dodd's subject title?And if not, color me a little disgusted that somebody would title a thread as serious as that without the facts straight.I just checked CNN and NYTimes online, and found this at CNN's live blog...

[6:30 p.m. ET, 8:30 a.m. Tokyo] There is currently no evidence of a nuclear meltdown at one of Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactors in northern Japan, Japan's ambassador to the United States said."There was a concern about this reactor. We have confirmed that there was a blowup but it was not a blowup of reactor nor container. It was a blowup of the outer building so there was no leakage of the radioactive material," Ichiro Fujisaki told CNN's Wolf Blitzer."We are now trying to cope with the situation by putting salt water into the reactor," he said. "There are some other issues with other reactors as well, which need also injection of water or taking out vapor because of increasing pressure into the container and we are now working on it."When asked if there may be a nuclear meltdown, Fujisaki said, "we do not see any evidence of that at this time."Engineers have been unable to get close enough to the core to know what's going on, an official with Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency told CNN Sunday. He based his conclusion on the fact that they measured radioactive cesium and radioactive iodine in the air Saturday night.[5:48 p.m. ET, 7:48 a.m. Tokyo] A meltdown may be under way at one of Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactors, an official with Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency told CNN Sunday.A meltdown is a catastrophic failure of the reactor core, with a potential for widespread radiation release. However, Toshiro Bannai, director of the agency's international affairs office, expressed confidence that efforts to control the crisis would prove successful.Meanwhile, a second reactor at the same facility failed shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday, the Tokyo Electric Power Company said, according to TV Asahi. The power company said it was having difficulty cooling the reactor and may need to release radioactive steam in order to relieve pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread