What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mendenhall (1 Viewer)

8 ppg - I presume this is non-PPR projection. Think Mendenhall outproduces Ivory and BJGE in both formats, but in PPR - significantly so. Drafting him with an RB3-type of pick is becoming less and less possible the more Arians speaks and the more casual owners start reading up on his new situation.

The division schedule is bad indeed with twice SEA and once SF (Weeks 6, 7 and 16). The other SF game is irrelevant in Week 17. The rest of the schedule is actually quite good with the only other bad game being HOU - Week 10. Bye week is 9.

So, bottomline, expect a very strong start, then useless Weeks 6 - 10, then back up again. Might be a great value proposition to cash in maximum value after Weeks 4-5 from someone desperate at RB.
why will he out do those guys in PPR? Bruce Arians doesnt throw to the RBs he has come out and said as much.

Gimme Ivory over him for sure regardless of format

Not disrespecting STL defense, it's a unit with good potential and a good line coach.

However, through Week 16 last season, they were mediocre both in total yards and in rushing yards allowed. So no, I don't see STL in the same tier as SF, SEA and HOU. If you do think STL will be a particularly tough matchup for rushers next season, then surely adjust accordingly!

8 ppg - I presume this is non-PPR projection. Think Mendenhall outproduces Ivory and BJGE in both formats, but in PPR - significantly so. Drafting him with an RB3-type of pick is becoming less and less possible the more Arians speaks and the more casual owners start reading up on his new situation.

The division schedule is bad indeed with twice SEA and once SF (Weeks 6, 7 and 16). The other SF game is irrelevant in Week 17. The rest of the schedule is actually quite good with the only other bad game being HOU - Week 10. Bye week is 9.

So, bottomline, expect a very strong start, then useless Weeks 6 - 10, then back up again. Might be a great value proposition to cash in maximum value after Weeks 4-5 from someone desperate at RB.
why will he out do those guys in PPR? Bruce Arians doesnt throw to the RBs he has come out and said as much.

Not sure when Arians has said he doesn't throw to RBs, but fair enough - feel free to add a perspective on the discussion re: Arians, Carson Palmer and the ARI/OAK RB receptions a few pages back.

On Ivory and BJGE......I will offer you a friendly wager: I say Mendenhall makes more catches per game next season than either of those two.

Not sure when Arians has said he doesn't throw to RBs, but fair enough - feel free to add a perspective on the discussion re: Arians, Carson Palmer and the ARI/OAK RB receptions a few pages back.

On Ivory and BJGE......I will offer you a friendly wager: I say Mendenhall makes more catches per game next season than either of those two.
I found this on the blogger, but I recall him saying something like Running backs run the ball, receivers catch the ball, or something like that:

Cardinals | Won't Throw to RBs much Tue May 14, 09:11 PM

Darren Urban, from AZCardinals.com, notes that new Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians has made plain he doesn't plan on throwing to the running backs as much.

Footballguys view: Important note for fantasy owners here, especially those in PPR leagues. Rashard Mendenhall signed in free agency and the most receptions he's had in a season is 25. Last year (under Arians as the OC) Colts RB Vick Ballard only managed to catch 17 passes. Arians wants one RB to emerge as the feature back but may not pass to him much in 2013.

Well in ppr I have him at 9.5 ppg and he dropped a spot for Pierre Thomas. Trust me, I really believe in Mendenhall as a talent. Just read some of my earlier post in this thread. I don't like the line, QB, or schedule. From week 4-7 he has TB-SF-SEA... three of those four games are against teams that had the best run defenses in the league in 2012, and I'd project them to to again this season. Even a team like PHI can be a problem that late in the season. If he does start hot I'll be the first guy to deal him. I can't go all in this year. Ari arguably has the toughest schedule for RB's.

Well in ppr I have him at 9.5 ppg and he dropped a spot for Pierre Thomas. Trust me, I really believe in Mendenhall as a talent. Just read some of my earlier post in this thread. I don't like the line, QB, or schedule. From week 4-7 he has TB-SF-SEA... three of those four games are against teams that had the best run defenses in the league in 2012, and I'd project them to to again this season. Even a team like PHI can be a problem that late in the season. If he does start hot I'll be the first guy to deal him. I can't go all in this year. Ari arguably has the toughest schedule for RB's.
Count me in the minority that is not 100% sold on the TB run defense yet. Just doesn't fully pass the eyeball test. They went from last to first in the course of one season...can't think of another similarly dramatic example. Heck, almost 20% of runs against them went for a loss.....how is that even possible, let alone sustainable? Might have something to do with being abused by the pass, especially by Brees and Matt Ryan.

Now they are losing Michael Bennett to the Seahawks - Bennett was top-5 in the league in tackles for a loss. Roy Miller was rock solid as nose tackle - he is now gone as well. Yeah, Lavonte is a beast already and should improve further, but I just am not convinced the run defense will be as formidable as the 2012 stats suggest.

Rotoworld:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians was openly displeased with Rashard Mendenhall following his Week 4 game.
The Cardinals got the win, but Mendenhall ran out of bounds late when he wasn't supposed to, dropped a pass, and fumbled twice, losing one. "Rashard had a very tough day and he can’t play that way," said Arians. "He can’t run out of bounds. He’s a veteran. And to run out of bounds at the end of the game, that was probably the worst mistake he made all day. We need to practice him a little bit harder." Eventually, there could be a changing of the guard with Andre Ellington stepping in as Arizona's primary tailback. The Cardinals aren't to that point yet, however.

Source: Arizona Republic

Rotoworld:

Coach Bruce Arians said Rashard Mendenhall "looked like himself" in Sunday's win over the Colts.

Mendenhall topped 50 rushing yards for the first time since Week 2, carrying 13 times for 54 yards with a score against the Colts. "He looked healthy like he did back in training camp," Arians said. "I was really glad to see that, and no better time. I thought he had, by far, his best game." Arians sticks with Mendy even when he's struggling, so we know he'll be the feature back against the Eagles in Week 13. Expect another 12-15 touches.

Related: Andre Ellington

Source: Arizona Republic

I'm starting him with pseudo confidence. He looked really good last week after removing his knee brace. No Ellington this week should mean a few more touches too.

Great. Should I pull Pierre Thomas now for Mendy?

What are people's expectations for Mendy today?
Well call me crazy, but I'm considering benching Gio and Zac for him. Gio is a bit hit or miss, and Zac is playing San Fran and coming back from the concussion. Both scare me just a little this week. Mendy looked really good last week, and with Ellington out, I just see him getting a few more catches, a few more carries, and all the goal line work.

Disclaimer: I don't really need the win in the league I am playing him in, so I might be letting my homerism rule here.

how is Philly against the run ?
Philly ranks 21st against the run yardage wise, is giving up 4.1 ypc, and only allowed 7 rushing TDs. So I think that's pretty middle of the pack.

I suddenly have an interesting decision at my flex with either Mendy or Bolden. Leaning toward Mendy in hopes that he catches a few more passes out of the backfield with Ellington out.

Both are suddenly much better options than they were a week ago but still plenty of question marks for both.

I'm benching Moreno for him. Huge risk but I don't feel great about the Moreno injury.

Benched Shorts for Mendenhall at flex in five leagues. Like the matchup and like how he looked last week. Also like Mendy's floor this week compared to Shorts's -- who will likely see a lot of Haden.

I'll admit that Mendenhall "looks good." But, like I said in the offseason the schedule is too daunting for FF numbers. Hawks and 9ers weeks 16-17.

I'll admit that Mendenhall "looks good." But, like I said in the offseason the schedule is too daunting for FF numbers. Hawks and 9ers weeks 16-17.
Postseason you mean?

hawks will have clinched one of those top seeds by then. they'll be smart to rest players and avoid injuries.

If you like to win in fantasy football, ignore all runners from AZ - STL - NE.
The problem with that line of thinking is that it's true...until it isn't. Now, NE is usually a mess of RBBBC (running back by BIG committee) - but the other two could very easily shift to a lead guy situation. In fact, Joe's email just today stated that Arians has commented earlier this offseason that he's not going to use a RBBC." That, coupled with the fact that Mendy is now "clearly" the #1 makes him a good RB2 option this season.The Rams could also end up with a lead back - we just don't know who it is yet. But of your 3 examples, the Arizona one (and the one pertaining to this thread) is likely to have more upside than downside, imho. Mendenhall's age and talent, along with him being the "clear #1" - make him a fairly stable floor RB2, with decent upside...especially if Williams continues to breakdown.
It is true for 2013.
I'd probably be willing to agree on 2 of the 3 situations you stated - except for the one that pertains to this thread.
Nope. Pertains to Mendenhall too.

Rotoworld:

In a post he wrote for the Huffington Post, free agent Rashard Mendenhall hinted he could retire.
"...the journey is over and I am fully at peace. Eagerly looking to a new way, which lies ahead," Mendenhall wrote. Mendenhall battled toe and recurring knee issues last season with the Cardinals and averaged just 3.2 YPC. Take away a 28-yard run against the 49ers in Week 17, Mendenhall's longest run on the season was 15 yards. His explosion has been sapped. The Cardinals reportedly haven't closed the door on re-signing him, but coach Bruce Arians recently made it clear that Andre Ellington will be the No. 1 back. Mendenhall turns 27 in June.

Source: Huffington Post

I am always amused at the "take away this run and his longest run was only this" talk. It is stupid to play that game.

That aside, Mendenhall is mediocre now, so him retiring can only help Ellington and the Cardinals.

Rotoworld:

In a post he wrote for the Huffington Post, free agent Rashard Mendenhall hinted he could retire.
"...the journey is over and I am fully at peace. Eagerly looking to a new way, which lies ahead," Mendenhall wrote. Mendenhall battled toe and recurring knee issues last season with the Cardinals and averaged just 3.2 YPC. Take away a 28-yard run against the 49ers in Week 17, Mendenhall's longest run on the season was 15 yards. His explosion has been sapped. The Cardinals reportedly haven't closed the door on re-signing him, but coach Bruce Arians recently made it clear that Andre Ellington will be the No. 1 back. Mendenhall turns 27 in June.

Jesus. It's like Mad Magazine, where they take something a guy said and turn it into something he didn't say at all, over there at Rotoworld.

That day I sat on my couch two years ago was the very next day after I tore my ACL in week 17. The journey I envisioned [that day] is the two years of rebuilding that would follow. And as I write this, today is the day that the journey is over and I am fully at peace.

Rotoworld:

Jesus. It's like Mad Magazine, where they take something a guy said and turn it into something he didn't say at all, over there at Rotoworld.

That day I sat on my couch two years ago was the very next day after I tore my ACL in week 17. The journey I envisioned [that day] is the two years of rebuilding that would follow. And as I write this, today is the day that the journey is over and I am fully at peace.
Good catch. Rotoworld's "writers" are such agenda pushing hacks sometimes. That one is particularly brutal -- to pull something out of context from two years ago and say that he's looking at retirement now is really awful.

Rotoworld:

you about to drop mendenhall in 9 leagues?

Rotoworld:

you about to drop mendenhall in 9 leagues?
Ten, I think.

Don't care so much what Mendenhall does or doesn't do though -- he was a nice RB3 last year, but not a key piece.

But whoever wrote the blurb at Rotoworld is an idiot. Mendenhall is talking about the end of the two year journey he envisioned when he tore his ACL, not retirement. Not retirement.

Rotoworld:

In a blog explaining his retirement, free agent Rashard Mendenhall said his plan now is to "travel the world and write!"
Mendenhall's full explanation of why he's hanging it up after just six seasons at age 26 can be accessed at the link below. "Having to fight through waves and currents of praise and criticism, but mostly hate. I can't even count how many times I've been called a 'dumb n-----'," he wrote. Mendy also mentioned the fantasy world. "Practice non-participants are reported throughout the week for predicted fantasy value; and success and failure for skill players is measured solely in stats and fantasy points. This is a very different model of football than the one I grew up with," he said.

I feel like I’ve done it all. I’ve been to two Super Bowls; made a bunch of money; had a lot of success; traveled all over the country and overseas; met some really cool people; made lasting relationships; had the opportunity to give back to causes close to my heart; and have been able to share my experiences and wisdom with friends, family and people all over the world. Not to mention all the fun I had goofing around at work day after day with my teammates! I’m thankful that I can walk away at this time and smile over my six years in the NFL, and 17 total seasons of football — dating back to when I started pee-wee ball at Niles West in 1997, when I was 10. These experiences are all a part of me, and will remain in my heart no matter what I do, or where I go.

[...] Imagine having a job where you’re always on duty, and can never fully relax or you just may drown. Having to fight through waves and currents of praise and criticism, but mostly hate. I can’t even count how many times I’ve been called a ‘dumb ’. There is a bold coarseness you receive from non-supporters that seems to only exist on the Internet. However, even if you try to avoid these things completely — because I’ve tried — somehow they still reach you. If not first-hand, then through friends and loved ones who take to heart all that they read and hear. I’m not a terribly sensitive person, so this stuff never really bothered me. That was until I realized that it actually had an impact my career. Over my career, I would learn that everything people say behind these computer and smartphones actually shape the perception of you — the brand, the athlete and the person. Go figure!

Over my career, because of my interests in dance, art and literature, my very calm demeanor, and my apparent lack of interest in sporting events on my Twitter page, people in the sporting world have sometimes questioned whether or not I love the game of football. I do. I always have. I am an athlete and a competitor. The only people who question that are the people who do not see how hard I work and how diligently I prepare to be great — week after week, season after season. I take those things very seriously. I’ve always been a professional. But I am not an entertainer. I never have been. Playing that role was never easy for me. The box deemed for professional athletes is a very small box. My wings spread a lot further than the acceptable athletic stereotypes and conformity was never a strong point of mine. My focus has always been on becoming a better me, not a second-rate somebody else. Sometimes I would suffer because of it, but every time I learned a lesson from it. And I’ll carry those lessons with me for the rest of my life.

So when they ask me why I want to leave the NFL at the age of 26, I tell them that I’ve greatly enjoyed my time, but I no longer wish to put my body at risk for the sake of entertainment. I think about the rest of my life and I want to live it with much quality. And physically, I am grateful that I can walk away feeling as good as I did when I stepped into it.

As for the question of what will I do now, with an entire life in front of me? I say to that, I will LIVE! I plan to live in a way that I never have before, and that is freely, able to fully be me, without the expectation of representing any league, club, shield or city. I do have a plan going forward, but I will admit that I do not know how things will totally shape out. That is the beauty of it! I look forward to chasing my desires and passions without restriction, and to sharing them with anyone who wants to come along with me! And I’ll start with writing!
I've never been a big Mendenhall fan, but I really do admire what he wrote here.

He's a unique person who isn't afraid to be who he is, it seems. Good for him. While I don't know him other than reading these words and from what's reported, if this is a genuine representation of who he is as a person, then the world needs more like him.

Rashard Mendenhall was different, but he was right about one thing

By Gerry Dulac about 1 hour ago
I have always found Rashard Mendenhall to be a different sort.

There are several reasons for that, going back to his rookie season when he told the bizarre story how he was mugged walking along Lake Shore Drive in Chicago.

Even he was suffered a broken scapula after a thunderous hit from Ray Lewis in Week 2, ending his rookie season, Mendenhall never came around the locker room much, if at all, after that, preferring to remain away from his teammates when you would think he would want to be around the team and soak up as much experience and knowledge as possible in his first season.

Further proof of his odd behavior came when Mike Tomlin benched him the week of the Tennessee game in 2011, saying Mendenhall was not doing enough to know his assignments – a curious critique of a 1,000-yard rusher who had never missed a game after his rookie season.

It would be easy to criticize Mendenhall for having much the same lackadaisical approach in 2012 when he was deactivated for two games and suspended by the team for another. The suspension was a result of Mendenhall not showing up for a home game against the San Diego Chargers when he was told on Friday he would be inactive for the second game in a row.

Mendenhall said he did not know he was supposed to show up for the game merely to stand on the sideline, a comment that might have been even more damaging than an insubordinate attitude, which is how his no-show was initially perceived. By admitting that, Mendenhall was viewed as a player who didn’t support his teammates or, worse, didn’t care what happened. In a team game, there is nothing viewed with more disdain than a player who doesn’t have a teammate’s back, whether in the game or along the sideline.

That being said, I think the situation was not entirely Mendenhall’s fault. Rather, I think it was the result of Tomlin punishing Mendenhall for a pair of fumbles (one of which he lost) in a big game in Cleveland on Nov. 25. Mendenhall was upset because he felt he was being singled out for fumbling when other players on the team, such as Antonio Brown in an earlier defeat in Oakland, committed the same number of gaffesin a game without any recrimination.

This is not to suggest Mendenhall was right for not showing up for the Chargers game. That is wrong. But Tomlin went a little too far with the punishment, and was even told as much by one of his assistant coaches.

All this comes to light because Mendenhall did another strange thing the other day: Announced he was retiring from the game, at age 26, after six NFL seasons. In a blog post he authored for the Huffington Post, Mendenhall said he has grown weary of the game, of being a private person who had to lead a very public life, of sacrificing his body for entertainment. He said he wants to live, to be free and to write – the latter another odd admission from a player who gave new meaning to dull when interviewed in the locker room.

But I will say this for Mendenhall: He gained some new-found admiration from me with this passage in his blog post:

“What was more difficult for me to grasp was the way that the business of entertainment had really shifted the game and the sport of football in the NFL. The culture of football now is very different from the one I grew up with. When I came up, teammates fought together for wins and got respect for the fight. The player who gave the ball to the referee after a touchdown was commended; the one who played through injury was tough; the role of the blocking tight end was acknowledged; running backs who picked up blitzing linebackers showed heart; and the story of the game was told through the tape, and not the stats alone. That was my model of football.

“Today, game-day cameras follow the most popular players on teams; guys who dance after touchdowns are extolled on Dancing With the Starters; games are analyzed and brought to fans without any use of coaches tape; practice non-participants are reported throughout the week for predicted fantasy value; and success and failure for skill players is measured solely in stats and fantasy points. This is a very different model of football than the one I grew up with.

“My older brother coaches football at the high-school and youth level. One day he called me and said, “These kids don't want to work hard. All they wanna do is look cool, celebrate after plays, and get more followers on Instagram!" I told him that they might actually have it figured out.”

Mendenhall has that figured out. And I, for one, concur.

-30-

Users who are viewing this thread