What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Merriman arrested (1 Viewer)

Report: Nguyen was intoxicated, not seriously hurt

Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2009 5:05 PM ET

Information continues to surface regarding the arrest of Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman for allegedly committing battery and false imprisonment against Tila Tequila Nguyen, and we'll be posting new stuff of interest as it emerges.

This latest updates comes courtesy of the San Diego Union-Tribune, which reports that the injuries allegedly suffered by Nguyen were not serious, according to San Diego Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell.

"She was not seriously hurt," Caldwell said of Nguyen. "She was able to talk. She was able to walk. She was mobile. She did not have any serious injuries that our deputies saw."

Caldwell also said that Nguyen appeared to be intoxicated when the authorities arrived at the scene.

Also, several people were at Merriman's home at the time of the incident, and they have been questioned. Presumably, one of more of them witnessed whatever happened between Merriman and Nguyen.

One commenter posted a theory earlier that seems to make sense -- Merriman might have been trying to keep Nguyen from driving drunk.

If the DA wants to prosecute this case, he had better get a jury who isn't familiar with Tila Tequila. No one who has seen her on TV would convict Merriman for doing something they've longed to do.

Something very interesting in the current PFT writeup about this:

The situation raises an interesting point regarding the lengths to which someone can or should go to stop someone else from driving drunk.

Merriman is innocent until proven guilty. I certainly hope for his sake, and for the Chargers, that he did not commit this crime.But to call this woman a hoe, to refer to her as an "acoholic slut" under the circumstances is IMO terribly bad taste, even in jest, and people who do this should be removed from this forum. There's really no place for that.
I agree to a point...But when you star in a trashy MTV reality show, you can't get upset that people think you are trash...
I know nothing about the show. You can make the same point without using that language. I think it's demeaning and distasteful.
LOL. Go watch the show. I assure you that after seeing one episode, you'll realize that nothing written on this board could be as distasteful as what Tila Tequila does in front of a cable TV audience.

Speaking of Acee, I guess he was just interviewed on ESPN News and said that he spoke with someone that was at Merrimans house and that Merriman tried to prevent her from leaving drunk and things went wrong.
That chick is worthless. He should have let her go. Hopefully his career isn't messed up because of some dime-a-dozen hoe.
If you come back after your time off, don't go there again. And please everyone else keep this 100% on Merriman and Football.J

Speaking of Acee, I guess he was just interviewed on ESPN News and said that he spoke with someone that was at Merrimans house and that Merriman tried to prevent her from leaving drunk and things went wrong.
That chick is worthless. He should have let her go. Hopefully his career isn't messed up because of some dime-a-dozen hoe.
If you come back after your time off, don't go there again. And please everyone else keep this 100% on Merriman and Football.J
Why? Because the character of the accuser doesn't matter here?

Why? Because the character of the accuser doesn't matter here?
He's having a bad day. Let him have at it. This is about Merriman.

The stupidity of this message board has been going up too much. A 270 pound roid freak chokes a 90 pound girl and all you do is call her a worthless hoe.
while the act is deplorable (especially when shes 90 lbs) that doesn't mean that she is necessarily free from culpability. She is a horrible, egomaniac with an alcohol (and very likely though purely speculative drug user) problem.

Merriman is innocent until proven guilty. I certainly hope for his sake, and for the Chargers, that he did not commit this crime.But to call this woman a hoe, to refer to her as an "acoholic slut" under the circumstances is IMO terribly bad taste, even in jest, and people who do this should be removed from this forum. There's really no place for that.
watch 5 minutes of her reality show and your opinion will change. she truly is a worthless person.

watch 5 minutes of her reality show and your opinion will change. she truly is a worthless person.
Some would say that everyone is worth something, regardless of their outward value. I think Merriman is in a bit of trouble here if she continues to press this issue - we'll see how it plays out.

I agree to a point...But when you star in a trashy MTV reality show, you can't get upset that people think you are trash...
I know nothing about the show. You can make the same point without using that language. I think it's demeaning and distasteful.
what happened to calling a spade a spade. When you make out with your two drunk twins you are dating in front of a conservative grandmother and openly speak of fealtio around "proper" parents I think the term slut is descriptive. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
SAN DIEGO — San Diego Chargers star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman was arrested Sunday and accused of choking and restraining his girlfriend, reality TV star Tila Tequila, as she tried to leave his suburban home.

Tequila, 27, signed a citizen's arrest warrant, charging Merriman with battery and false imprisonment, San Diego County Sheriff's Lt. Gary Steadman said.

Both are felonies.

Deputies responded about 3:45 a.m. to Merriman's house in Poway, north of San Diego, after a woman called to say she was choked by the player and thrown to the ground when she tried to leave, Sheriff's Department spokesman Jan Caldwell said at a news conference.

Merriman's attorney, Todd Macaluso, disputed Tequila's story and said he's confident Merriman won't be charged by the District Attorney's Office.

"There was absolutely no wrongdoing on the part of Mr. Merriman," Macaluso told The Associated Press by phone. "He essentially was doing what was appropriate under the circumstances in trying to protect the safety of Miss Tequila. There were numerous eyewitnesses that will support his version of the events that transpired at his home."

Merriman, 25, was taken into custody and booked into the central jail at about 8:30 a.m. He was released shortly after 11 a.m.

Tequila was taken to a hospital. Her condition was not immediately available.

Caldwell said deputies determined Tequila had been drinking.

Asked if Merriman was trying to keep Tequila from driving drunk, Macaluso said: "We don't want to comment on her conduct. The bottom line is, he did everything in his power to ensure her safety. He hopes she comes forth and tells the truth."

Caldwell said she wasn't sure if Merriman had been drinking. Macaluso said witnesses he spoke with said Merriman had ordered water three or four times when his group was at a downtown San Diego club before going to his house. The attorney said none of Merriman's teammates were at his house.

Tequila, whose real name is Tila Nguyen, is best known for "A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila," which ran for two seasons on MTV. The bisexual dating show featured men and women vying for Tequila's affections. She has also modeled for Playboy and other men's magazines.

Scott E. Leemon, an attorney for Tequila, said in a statement that neither she nor her representatives would comment publicly.

Merriman didn't return two e-mails seeking comment. His agent, Tom Condon, said he hadn't heard about the arrest when contacted by The Associated Press.

There had been considerable Twitter chatter between Tequila and Merriman during the last two months. She tweeted several times about going to the Chargers' game Friday night and a party she held afterward at a downtown club, including:

_ "Im the Head Cheerleader Prom Queen and (at)shawnemerriman is the Prom King! hahaha! LETS GOOO! LIGHTS OUT! SAN DIEGO I WILL SEE U TOMORROW!"

Merriman was the 12th overall pick out of Maryland in the 2005 draft, and had 39 1/2 sacks in his first three seasons. The three-time Pro Bowl selection has been getting back into shape after missing nearly all of last season following knee surgery.

The Chargers, picked by some as Super Bowl favorites, open the regular season a week from Monday night at Oakland. Players had been off since after Friday night's exhibition finale against San Francisco. They are due back at practice on Monday.

"It's disappointing to hear about the issue involving Shawne Merriman," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said in statement. "We'll continue to monitor the situation and let the legal process run its course."

Smith didn't return a call seeking further comment.

Smith often speaks of signing "character" players, yet the Chargers have had their share of embarrassing off-field problems in recent seasons.

In 2006, there were seven run-ins with the law by San Diego players, including linebacker Steve Foley's shooting by an off-duty police officer who suspected him of drunken driving.

Merriman was suspended four games for testing positive for steroids in 2006, and linebacker Stephen Cooper was suspended by the NFL for the first four games of the 2008 season after testing positive for a banned stimulant.

Smith reportedly has been unhappy with Merriman's extracurricular activities, and there's been speculation the Chargers will let him leave when he's eligible to become an unrestricted free agent. Merriman has various business ventures and is enamored with the Los Angeles social scene. While on injured reserve last year he flew back and forth to Los Angeles once a week to appear on a football preview show.

___

Associated Press Writer Christopher Weber in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

A lot of people feel Merriman is a POS too.

Seriously J? Did you miss some of these:http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...=Roethlisberger

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...=Roethlisberger - This one really kept to the subject on Big Ben (fire crotch, Garcia's woman)

Which of the posters in these links was your buddy?

I duuno? :shrug: This is a BREAKING case. In such a case the credibility of the accuser matters greatly. If what the atty's are saying in the above pieces is right, and she was wasted, belligerent and will likely retract this when sober, a shrewd IDP guy could scoop Merriman from an owner who wants to quickly deal cuz he thinks he is putting one over on you.

Statement from Shawne Merriman

11:04 p.m. September 6, 2009

The following statement was received via e-mail late Sunday night:

On September 6, 2009 the San Diego Sheriffs Department responded to a citizens complaint that was initiated by Tila Nguyen (aka Tila Tequila). I was taken into custody based upon that complaint. At the time, I was concerned about her welfare given the intoxicated state she appeared to be in and I encouraged her to stay until safe transportation could be provided. We would all do our best to help a friend if we considered their actions to be detrimental to their personal safety. I in no way caused any harm to Ms Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported. She was released and has since returned to Los Angeles, California. There have been no charges filed against me. I want to thank the San Diego Sheriffs Department for their professionalism. I will continue to cooperate fully with the Department and I look forward to clearing my name regarding these false allegations. I want to put this behind me so I can continue to focus on a successful season for the San Diego Chargers.

So how many fantasy ticks down is SD DEF without him?
Hard to say. The 2008 season proved that Merriman's presence makes a big difference because he makes everyone around him better. Without Merriman to take the heat off of him, Shaun Phillips struggled to get to the QB. The entire pass rush was severely weakened, which made the secondary look bad as well.But at least the Chargers have another pass-rusher in Larry English this season, so the drop-off without Merriman shouldn't be quite as huge.Still, I do think you have to knock the Chargers' defense down maybe five slots without him.

Hard to say. The 2008 season proved that Merriman's presence makes a big difference because he makes everyone around him better. Without Merriman to take the heat off of him, Shaun Phillips struggled to get to the QB. The entire pass rush was severely weakened, which made the secondary look bad as well.But at least the Chargers have another pass-rusher in Larry English this season, so the drop-off without Merriman shouldn't be quite as huge.Still, I do think you have to knock the Chargers' defense down maybe five slots without him.
Thanks for this. I took them in a couple leagues expecting some uplift from his return (and based on the division) but I guess I'll just have to monitor the "wheels of justice" on it.

I'm starting to believe that the likelihood here is that nothing happens to Merriman and that no charges are pursued. There were no injuries noted and the PD didn't even want to arrest him, but were forced to by law when she demanded a citizen's arrest. I wouldn't jump too far away from Merriman as an IDP or the Chargers as a fantasy defense. In fact, I'd make a play for both guys while there's still doubt in many peoples' minds.

I don't think so. It's not about the sort of person she is, or whether or not her charges are true. It's about the name-calling. You guys can make the same point without having to call people names.

I wouldn't jump too far away from Merriman as an IDP or the Chargers as a fantasy defense. In fact, I'd make a play for both guys while there's still doubt in many peoples' minds.
I was thinking the same thing ---- if you like the SD defense, this is a good time to get them at a reduced rate in trade.

This is why even before this happened I didnt understand why it was pretty much assured Merriman wouldnt be back next year. The guy is a game changer, he's the leader of that defense, and he's only 25. You dont have a chance to get players like very often, and despite his history before this, he seemse like a guy worth holding onto. Especially if he/SD D has a big year in 2009

facts here: Tila was drunk. Merriman refused to let her drive home or wherever drunk. She refused and started fighting with him he apparently just tried to restrain her and keep her at his place until she sobered up. No bruises or anything was reported and there were many witnesses to collaborate Merrimans story. This is a non issue he is fine.

This is why even before this happened I didnt understand why it was pretty much assured Merriman wouldnt be back next year. The guy is a game changer, he's the leader of that defense, and he's only 25. You dont have a chance to get players like very often, and despite his history before this, he seemse like a guy worth holding onto. Especially if he/SD D has a big year in 2009
I think there's a decent chance he'll be franchised next year if he performs this year and the Chargers make it to the SB.

facts here: Tila was drunk. Merriman refused to let her drive home or wherever drunk. She refused and started fighting with him he apparently just tried to restrain her and keep her at his place until she sobered up. No bruises or anything was reported and there were many witnesses to collaborate Merrimans story. This is a non issue he is fine.
This is what it's looking like to me also.J

English held out on contract and was injured part of pre-season. He is raw talent that is still raw. I don't believe he is quite the physical specimen that Merriman was so it may take until mid-season or so to start to see him improve his moves/form.

I'm starting to believe that the likelihood here is that nothing happens to Merriman and that no charges are pursued. There were no injuries noted and the PD didn't even want to arrest him, but were forced to by law when she demanded a citizen's arrest. I wouldn't jump too far away from Merriman as an IDP or the Chargers as a fantasy defense. In fact, I'd make a play for both guys while there's still doubt in many peoples' minds.
Why was he arrested if the person demanding a citizen's arrest is intoxicated?

metoo said:
T Bell said:
She filed a compliant, she did not make a citizen's arrest.Believe the SD county spokesperson said the police were required to arrest and charge Merriman once the report was filed. That doesn't mean that he will be indicted by the prosecutor however.

He should've been committed to a mental institution for going out with such a skank!......yuuuuck, she's dogmeat.... :thumbup:

Joe Bryant said:
The Moz said:
This is what it's looking like to me also.J
I agree. I don't know how the CA penal laws are re "false imprisonment" or kidnapping, but since these were never even mentioned by the police (as they would likely be charges if he was REALLY "choking" -- and not restraining in a safe/non injurious "hold") I think that this will blow over. Once again just my "read" on the situation.

T Bell said:
Can an intoxicated person make a citizen's arrest?

you're right about one thing.we cannot say that she is an alcoholic when we dont even know much (if anything) about her drinking habits. As for her breeding habits, they speak for themselves.

If merriman tried to choke trust me she would have marks to show it - she had none. Every witness there agrees with Merrimans story. There is nothing he has to worry about

metoo said:
T Bell said:
She filed a compliant, she did not make a citizen's arrest.Believe the SD county spokesperson said the police were required to arrest and charge Merriman once the report was filed. That doesn't mean that he will be indicted by the prosecutor however.
I'm going off of what I recall the police spokeswoman calling it. Regardless, if she fills out a certain type of complaint (I presume it to be a domestic violence complaint) then the police are obligated to arrest the alleged perpetrator even if the complainant is drunk. That's the point here. The arrest had nothing to do with what the police observed, and in fact it sounds like the police observed no evidence of violence outside of what this woman was claiming.

Let's wait for the whole story to get out before we make judgement on Merriman. I think some of you are overreacting on this specific issue, and relating it to other problems he has had in the past.

I know this is a "he said, she said" scenario, but i for one am taking Merriman's side. I mean the perception of Tila Tequila is just as bad as Merriman

GordonGekko said:
Full story isn't out yet. Either way, some things appear to be certain1) Merriman will be treated as guilty by the average public perception of him. The damage is done. The accusation is just as good as guilt in our western society2) Regardless of his merit or lack of merit, Goodell and the NFL will be heavily lobbied by activist groups. Merriman is going to have to eat some kind of penalty no matter what. 3) Merriman's past indiscretions only hurt him here. But this situation would hurt him if he had a public clean slate. Athletes tend to get one freebie for PR and looks like Merriman burned his a long time ago. I'm really surprised that professional athletes can be exposed to people like Phil Jackson and Bill Parcells and learn absolutely nothing about how to properly manipulate the media. The truth, to a large degree, and it's sad, does not matter here. What matters if the public perception and whether it will cost the NFL money or the imagined loss of money over it. GGPS Right or wrong, this is a poor reflection on the entire SD Chargers organization. Either they don't have the means to control Merriman or they lack the ability to control the spin that comes ancillary to their players behavior. Both are signs of weakness.
I think I disagree with the entire post...1) The public is stupid when it comes to accusations. So yes, some might look pooly on Merriman right now...However I can only imagine anyone who has seen a Tila Tequila promo probably thinks much less of her. Anyone with half a brain would be smart to let the facts come out before making any judgement.2) Goodell is not stupid. Its his job to take the jibberish some of these activist groups spew. If Merriman did nothing wrong, why would he be penalized? see big ben.3) Merriman's past indiscretions? Did I miss something here? Yeah he got busted for roids, but what other criminal activity has he been found guilty of?4) IMO this event in NO WAY reflects poorly on the Chargers organization. It appears to be an isolated incident and could even be 'spun' as you say, to show the organization preaches about the dangers of drunk driving. If a player makes a bad choice, I don't see how its on the team.All this and I don't even like the chargers...

GordonGekko said:
Full story isn't out yet. Either way, some things appear to be certain1) Merriman will be treated as guilty by the average public perception of him. The damage is done. The accusation is just as good as guilt in our western society2) Regardless of his merit or lack of merit, Goodell and the NFL will be heavily lobbied by activist groups. Merriman is going to have to eat some kind of penalty no matter what. 3) Merriman's past indiscretions only hurt him here. But this situation would hurt him if he had a public clean slate. Athletes tend to get one freebie for PR and looks like Merriman burned his a long time ago. I'm really surprised that professional athletes can be exposed to people like Phil Jackson and Bill Parcells and learn absolutely nothing about how to properly manipulate the media. The truth, to a large degree, and it's sad, does not matter here. What matters if the public perception and whether it will cost the NFL money or the imagined loss of money over it. GGPS Right or wrong, this is a poor reflection on the entire SD Chargers organization. Either they don't have the means to control Merriman or they lack the ability to control the spin that comes ancillary to their players behavior. Both are signs of weakness.
I think I disagree with the entire post...1) The public is stupid when it comes to accusations. So yes, some might look pooly on Merriman right now...However I can only imagine anyone who has seen a Tila Tequila promo probably thinks much less of her. Anyone with half a brain would be smart to let the facts come out before making any judgement.2) Goodell is not stupid. Its his job to take the jibberish some of these activist groups spew. If Merriman did nothing wrong, why would he be penalized? see big ben.3) Merriman's past indiscretions? Did I miss something here? Yeah he got busted for roids, but what other criminal activity has he been found guilty of?4) IMO this event in NO WAY reflects poorly on the Chargers organization. It appears to be an isolated incident and could even be 'spun' as you say, to show the organization preaches about the dangers of drunk driving. If a player makes a bad choice, I don't see how its on the team.All this and I don't even like the chargers...
I agree. Although I think he even went too far on Michael Vick (though public pressure did have a lot to do with that). That with B Marshall, M Jones, Roethlisberger situations he has behaved evenhandedly, and usually with deference (marshall fake battery on gfriend that was essentially made up)No charge, no penalty here IMHO.

GordonGekko said:
Full story isn't out yet. Either way, some things appear to be certain1) Merriman will be treated as guilty by the average public perception of him. The damage is done. The accusation is just as good as guilt in our western society
Baloney. This will fade into the background just like the Roethlisberger rape allegations, and will only be enduring in the public mind if there's either a conviction or significant detailed evidence that he did what she said. Otherwise it just gets forgotten.
2) Regardless of his merit or lack of merit, Goodell and the NFL will be heavily lobbied by activist groups. Merriman is going to have to eat some kind of penalty no matter what.
Unless there's either a conviction or significant detailed evidence that he did what she said, there won't be heavy lobbying and quite possibly no lobbying at all. And there won't be any punishment without a conviction or huge civil settlement with lots of corroborating evidence.

FWIW, I have it on fairly good word that Tila Tequila is bat-#### crazy. Was a complete mess on her reality show, and has since burned all her bridges with MTV by being a complete nutbar. This is via someone who worked on her reality show.

Doesn't mean Merriman did or didn't do anything, take it at face value.

Users who are viewing this thread