What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

middle aged FBG wants to be a cage fighter (1 Viewer)

Nice - best of luck!

Wrestling is a great base for MMA, and it's good that you have the solid jiu-jitsu. This grappling will be an obvious strength against debut-level MMA competition. While you'll certainly need to improve your standup, I would imagine your gameplan would be to take it to the ground - either via shooting or from the clinch.

As far as weight, if you're walking at 146 or so, you might be a little small fighting at 135. Have you given any thought to really tweaking your diet and seeing if you can be comfortable at 137ish? If so, then a cut to 125 should be pretty easy. Your old-man strength would be incredible at that weight. Of course, your old-man speed would be ultra slow, but once you clinched, you'd be able to ragdoll your opponent.
yeah, no. 15 years ago, I'd consider it. I am no stranger to cutting weight, I know that my days at 125 are long gone. We have a 125 lber in the gym who walks around @ 130, I'm so much bigger than he is, I know I'm not in that weight class.
Well that answers that. :thumbup:

Amazed that someone walks at 130 and fights at 125. Is that because he can't get a fight at 115?

As far as shooting for the takedown - thay would obviously be the plan but I've found takedowns with striking involved to be a completely different animal. Pretty much the only stuff that translates is working from the clinch (and i was never a great Greco guy) and defense.
How much cage work have you gotten in? I've found that clinch work against the cage is among the most exhausting thing I do.

Nice - best of luck!

Wrestling is a great base for MMA, and it's good that you have the solid jiu-jitsu. This grappling will be an obvious strength against debut-level MMA competition. While you'll certainly need to improve your standup, I would imagine your gameplan would be to take it to the ground - either via shooting or from the clinch.

As far as weight, if you're walking at 146 or so, you might be a little small fighting at 135. Have you given any thought to really tweaking your diet and seeing if you can be comfortable at 137ish? If so, then a cut to 125 should be pretty easy. Your old-man strength would be incredible at that weight. Of course, your old-man speed would be ultra slow, but once you clinched, you'd be able to ragdoll your opponent.
yeah, no. 15 years ago, I'd consider it. I am no stranger to cutting weight, I know that my days at 125 are long gone. We have a 125 lber in the gym who walks around @ 130, I'm so much bigger than he is, I know I'm not in that weight class.

Amazed that someone walks at 130 and fights at 125. Is that because he can't get a fight at 115?
I don't believe I've ever seen a 115 lb fight. We aren't talking high level MMA here, we are talking entry level, very regional competition. I don't think many folks cut more than 10 lbs. Some do, but I don't feel like most guys are doing more than that.Also, I can tell you from first hand experience - 130 - 115 I'd a lot different than, say, 200-185. 15 lbs is a hell of a lot for light-weights.

Nice - best of luck!

That's a lot of weight for a man in his late 30s with limited conditioning to lose and cut.
He's admittedly out of shape at 151, so it might not be unreasonable to be an in-shape 137 over a few months. Then, you get at least a pound of leeway at weigh-ins (and amateurs get two pounds in many states), so a 10- to 11-pound cut is all that is needed to make the 125-pound weight class. That's doable for someone in their late 30s.
In my last jiu-jitsu tourny in August or September, I stepped on the scale @ 143.5. That's about as low as I go for walkinh around weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
moleculo said:
I have decided I want to get into the MMA cage. I'll use this thread as my blog, documenting the journey, the highs and lows.

Vital stats:

• 38 years old, will be 39 before I get in the cage
  • 5'5", 150 lbs (give or take)
  • target fighting weight: 135 lbs
  • southpaw
  • not a gifted athlete, wrestling is the only sport I've ever been good at.
No better way than this to deal with short man syndrome?

Nice - best of luck!

I don't believe I've ever seen a 115 lb fight. We aren't talking high level MMA here, we are talking entry level, very regional competition. I don't think many folks cut more than 10 lbs. Some do, but I don't feel like most guys are doing more than that.Also, I can tell you from first hand experience - 130 - 115 I'd a lot different than, say, 200-185. 15 lbs is a hell of a lot for light-weights.
Oh no doubt about that - 10% of your weight is no picnic. People I train with do that every fight though. Our 135-pound amateurs are generally at 150-160 when not preparing for a fight.

moleculo said:
I have decided I want to get into the MMA cage. I'll use this thread as my blog, documenting the journey, the highs and lows.

Vital stats:

• southpaw
His height is fine for the 135 pound weight class.The top pro's in that weight class average out just a little taller but in the level he will be fighting his height will likely be good. Obviously reach is more important than height.

http://fightnomics.com/blog/average-ufc-fighter-size-and-reach/

We need to make you an Internet sensation like Kimbo Slice. Maybe travel the nation beating the crap out of various FFAers? I can think of a couple I'd like to volunteer

moleculo said:

Vital stats:

• southpaw
I was just going to post a "Which FBG would you pay to see Moleculo get in a cage match with?" but I have my answer already...

moleculo said:

Vital stats:

• southpaw
I was just going to post a "Which FBG would you pay to see Moleculo get in a cage match with?" but I have my answer already...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUlIv3Ca8AI&sns=em

moleculo said:

Vital stats:

• southpaw
Your knowledge of the sport appears to be very low and/or your schtick is not very fresh.

moleculo said:

Vital stats:

• southpaw
Your knowledge of the sport appears to be very low and/or your schtick is not very fresh.
My knowledge of the sport is nil. But I am not posting about sport, either.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_complex

Vital stats:

• southpaw
My knowledge of the sport is nil. But I am not posting about sport, either.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_complex
please. I'm probably the least napoleanist of all the short men I know. If this was a napeolean-complex thing, don't you think I would have taken this up years ago?

I'm 38 years old and haven't been in a fight since I was in college, and that wasn't more than dunken-wrestling that got a little too serious.

Good luck dude. I think you're doing all the right things in terms if training. I gutted the only thing I can think of is to try out a few other trainers one on one that might bring something novel to your game. Maybe an MT or boxing specific gym could be interesting.

Personally, I never took it past sparring in MT because I didn't enjoy getting hit in the face at even 50% with headgear. Plus my size and shape (slightly below average height and weight for a white guy) didn't lend itself from not getting rocked.

I know i wouldn't want to mess with some of the dudes at 135 I've met in various gyms. Lightning quick and vicious.

well, it's been just over 2 weeks since I made the decision that I want to get more serious with this. I've been doing the kick-boxing/jiu-jitsu for a few years at a recreational level for a few years, but once you make the decision that you want to compete, everything feels different. Knowing that, one day in the not too distant future, you are going to step into a locked cage with someone planning on punching you as hard as he can really ups the training intensity. Just thinking about it gets my heart racing and my blood moving. Honestly, it's a rush I haven't felt in a really, really long time. I know we are mostly middle-aged office guys here - can you remember the last time you took an athletic competition seriously - I mean, really seriously? It's a hell of a rush, just thinking about it committing to work towards it.

I have a long ways to go still, and sometimes am a bit afraid of the grind. To get where I need to be, it's going to be 2.5-3 hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week. I'm already down 3 or 4 lbs, was 146.8 after class today, so I've got that goin' for me.

Sparring wise, I have made some improvements but still have a long ways to go. I'm having a hard time with balance, I find I end up rocking back on my heels when I throw hooks, and I tend to lean too far forward and lose sight of my opponent when I'm covering. I don't do a good job of bending my knees, my elbows get too wide, and my hips aren't fluid at all. Boxing is a really, really difficult thing to master, completely unnatural - it is for me anyways. I know everyone thinks they can throw a punch because every single red-blooded male has thrown punches in front of a mirror, but a punch with real power is quite a bit more refined...developing the chain of kinetic energy, linking all of your joints in sync isn't easy...I've never played golf, but I'd bet that it's probably fairly similar to a perfect golf swing.

I got my first good injury in a long time today. I was sparring with one of our amateur fighters, getting him ready for a fight 1/25. He came in on a takedown attempt on me, I sprawled, and my toe-nail got caught on the canvas and bent back. I lost half of the nail. Hurts like a son of a #####. Now I have to go and buy wrestling shoes - it's been so long since I competed, my old shoes are long gone.

The sparring went well though prior to the toe-nail thing. I was able to take him down fairly easily. Had trouble moving into G&P, and had trouble keeping him down. But, as he was coming up, I managed to find a guillotine that I locked up and finished - I felt good about that. Grappling with 16 oz. gloves is a little different.

Two grappling tournaments coming up - 1/18 and 2/1. I'd like to do both of those. We'll see how the toe is doing before I commit.

I'm really enjoying following your progress, and I'm impressed as hell by you attempting it.

Good luck :thumbup:

haven't updated this in a while, so here goes.

Today in our grappling class I got promoted to purple belt. The way we do belt tests is mostly a formality, but to earn your belt you have to roll with everyone in class, 2 minutes each, with maybe 30 seconds between. There was 14 other guys there, ranging from beginners to professional fighters. It was a long time rolling, but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did a good job of pacing myself to get through it. I did pop my left elbow - didn't tap soon enough and heard the snap-crackle-pop, so that sucks. It's not bad, but will need ice and rest. I also fought off an bicep-crush on my right arm for entirely too long and I still don't have feeling in my thumb and finger - must have pinched a nerve in there somehow.

I didn't go to the first grappling tournament this month, it was the same week as the AFC championship and I went to Denver for that instead. Now, I won't be able to afford the second one because the Denver trip was a little pricy, plus I just had to have $500 worth of repairs done to my truck :kicksrock:

Sparring wise, I'm doing a little bit better. Still not moving very well, but I don't seem to be ducking my head any more. I am throwing combos better, so that's good. Having trouble with distance - it's a tough thing for short-armed guys like me to figure out how to move in close enough without getting popped. I did take a front kick just below my rib cage that absolutely floored me. He caught me as I was breathing in and my stomach was not tightened - wasn't ready for it. I dropped like a rock with a "fuuuuuu"...that's about all I could get out. That sucked.

Now, I'm concerned about these ligament injuries. This isn't the first time I've popped something. I'm a little scared that maybe my body just can't take things like that any more. I hope this doesn't become a thing.

one other random thought: MMA sparring has got to be the best workout in the planet. Like jiu-jitsu, you use every muscle in your body. Unlike jiu-jitsu, if you relax for a second, you get punched in the face. 3 minutes of sparring completely drains me, forget about 5. I thought my conditioning was crap but if I could go through the gauntlet today, maybe it's not that bad. Maybe I just need more time on the cage to get more comfortable and figure out how to relax.

haven't updated this in a while, so here goes.

Today in our grappling class I got promoted to purple belt. The way we do belt tests is mostly a formality, but to earn your belt you have to roll with everyone in class, 2 minutes each, with maybe 30 seconds between. There was 14 other guys there, ranging from beginners to professional fighters. It was a long time rolling, but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did a good job of pacing myself to get through it. I did pop my left elbow - didn't tap soon enough and heard the snap-crackle-pop, so that sucks. It's not bad, but will need ice and rest. I also fought off an bicep-crush on my right arm for entirely too long and I still don't have feeling in my thumb and finger - must have pinched a nerve in there somehow.

I didn't go to the first grappling tournament this month, it was the same week as the AFC championship and I went to Denver for that instead. Now, I won't be able to afford the second one because the Denver trip was a little pricy, plus I just had to have $500 worth of repairs done to my truck :kicksrock:

Sparring wise, I'm doing a little bit better. Still not moving very well, but I don't seem to be ducking my head any more. I am throwing combos better, so that's good. Having trouble with distance - it's a tough thing for short-armed guys like me to figure out how to move in close enough without getting popped. I did take a front kick just below my rib cage that absolutely floored me. He caught me as I was breathing in and my stomach was not tightened - wasn't ready for it. I dropped like a rock with a "fuuuuuu"...that's about all I could get out. That sucked.

Now, I'm concerned about these ligament injuries. This isn't the first time I've popped something. I'm a little scared that maybe my body just can't take things like that any more. I hope this doesn't become a thing.

one other random thought: MMA sparring has got to be the best workout in the planet. Like jiu-jitsu, you use every muscle in your body. Unlike jiu-jitsu, if you relax for a second, you get punched in the face. 3 minutes of sparring completely drains me, forget about 5. I thought my conditioning was crap but if I could go through the gauntlet today, maybe it's not that bad. Maybe I just need more time on the cage to get more comfortable and figure out how to relax.
Good luck! Looking forward to more updates.

not a whole lot to add, still working it. Feeling more comfortable in the cage, but not good yet. Still have the horrible habit of dropping my head and bending at the waist when trying to bob under hooks, but a hell of a lot better than it was in January. Having a hard time still with finding my range and getting my hips to rotate properly. I don't want to get into competition until I can figure this out, even if my wrestling and jiu-jitsu are good enough. When I'm working pads, everything feels fantastic. Getting lots of power, getting my hips to rotate and all that...feels really good. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to translate that into sparring just yet. My boxing guard feels good, I feel like I can block or absorb most of what is dealt to me; I just can't retaliate effectively yet. I think it's a matter of confidence...as soon as I start feeling confident, I'll start rotating my hips and that will bring the power. Gaining confidence is a tough deal though...

Grappling-wise - I feel great. Things are really falling into place, and I'm in position where I maybe am not yet chaining things together yet, but I can see that when one submission is defended, something else opens up and I can quickly attack that. I guess that's chaining moves together, but it's not like I'm planning 3 or 4 moves away, it's more like I see opportunities open up and can attack them quickly.

Weight - I'm down to 145 and change, which is pretty good, considering I haven't been trying to diet hardly at all. I figure I'd be in much better shape if it weren't for those damn girl scout cookies.

There are ups and downs. Frankly, I'm not sure I can do this. I don't particularly enjoy the striking aspect, probably because I'm not good at it. I'm an old ### man - I can't be dedicating too much time into this, when I have a wife and kids that demand attention. my body aches, I don't feel like i have the strength to put in more than 3 minutes at a time. My arms feel like damn putty after about 3 minutes. If I'm being completely honest, sometimes I wish I could just be injured so I could quit gracefully and be done with this nonsense. This is a young mans sport, wtf am I trying to do at the age of 39? Part of this negativity comes from sparrring mostly with our club pro, who is a very talented and seasoned vet...i'm just happy to land one punch when working with him, I feel better when working with other amateurs, but it's tough being the bottom guy on the totem pole. Just something to work through, and it's something everyone has to work though, but I question how many people work through that when they have distractions like a wive/kids, career, and a body that doesn't necessarily heal quickly.

one other comment: I've played a lot of sports in my day. MMA is easily the toughest sport I can imagine. Consider:

* endurance. Pro MMA fights can be up to 25 minutes. This is not an anerobic activity.

* explosion: you need every muscle in your body to be able to fire with power at a given second. if you relax, even for a moment, you get punched in the nose and that sucks.

* strength: most definitely helps develop striking power, but also gaining submissions

* speed: see above

* technique: very important in both striking and grappling. In fact, MMA is really 3 sports combined into one: kickboxing, wrestling, and grappling. Each of these disciplines takes years to master on their own and can stand alone as sports in their own right - forget about combining all three.

I can't think of any other sport that combines the need for endurance and explosion, strength and speed, and requires technique of multiple disciplines. Three minutes in the cage and I am completely spent. If anyone is looking for a workout challenge, there is nothing better than MMA. None.

This is really awesome, seriously :thumbup:

You've come a long way, so even though you can see that there is still lots of improvements to be made and there's some natural discouragement at times, keep fighting through it.

I think you'll end up being a lot better MMA fighter than you ever thought you could be.

####ed up my ankle last night. not sure how bad this is going to be. I've been icing it most of the day today and when not icing it, I am Ace-bandaging it. Swelling isn't bad at all and it doesn't hurt much, unless I try to walk. That hurts. I hope it's an ankle thing, and not a lisfranc. it's kind of hard to pin-point exactly where it hurts - lower ankle vs upper foot.

I was planning on joining a gym this weekend and start lifting. I've never been into lifting, but I recognize that I need to be stronger. Every time I've tried joining a gym, I've quit within a few months. Lifting for no purpose other than to lift - sounds pointless to me. But, if I have aspirations to get in the cage, suddenly lifting has a purpose and I think I can stick with it. Time-wise, I drop my daughter off at her school at 7:00 every day (class starts at 7:15. If she took the bus, she would leave our neighborhood at 6:10 or so). If I skipped my shower, I could drop her off at 6:45, get in a lift and shower and make it to work by 8:30 - seems totally doable. From here, it's a matter of finding a good routine. my friends that lift suggest lots of squats, deadlifts, olympic lifts and that like...I think this is the program that I'm going to do to get started, but I'm completely new to this game so if anyone has any advice, please chime in. Obviously, I'm not going to do anything that that hurts my ankle until that gets better.

I'm having serious doubts that I can do this. It's not a matter of skill, it's not a matter of conditioning, it's not a matter of my body holding up, it's a matter of hours in the day.

Here's how my day went yesterday:

6:00AM - alarm goes off

6:50AM - drop my daughter off at school

7:15AM - arrive at my gym, lift, shower, drive to work

8:45AM - start work

5:15PM - leave work for home

5:45PM - arrive home, have dinner. After dinner, get the kids bathed and start bed time routine.

6:45PM - leave for MMA class

7:15PM - MMA class

9:30PM - class over, leave for home

10:00PM - arrive home, shower

10:30PM - decompress, spend some time with the wife

11:00PM - lights out in bed

Wash, rinse, repeat. On days I don't lift, I head straight for work so lifting doesn't really effect anything. This gets me 7 hours of sleep, which is marginally ok. Any less than that and I'm shot the next day, to the point of nodding off while driving home from work. And, that's assuming I can sleep. I've found it really tough to sleep immediately after working out when the adrenaline is still flowing.

so here's the problem: our school has open mat starting at 9:30. When our fighters are in "camp" mode, that's when they get privatized workouts with the instructors, instead of general class instruction. I'm talking about sparring, pad work, and sometimes conditioning. Well, I've found that if I stick around for open mat, I don't end up getting to bed until 11:30 or 12:00, giving me 6 hours of sleep which isn't nearly enough. I could function on that much sleep when I was younger but not any more. If I hang out for open mat, it generally means I will end up skipping class the next day out of pure exhaustion.

In the end, it's essentially a trade-off: open mat on night A = no training on A+1.

Looking at the schedule above, there's not really anything I can compress or re-arrange to make this work. I'm not going to lean on my wife to take my daughter to school in the AM so I can sleep in - that' how we share parenting duties because I'm not around during the day. By the way, the girls are generally in bed between 6:30-7:00PM on school nights because they are up so early for school in the morning.

In the summer, the kids won't be getting up so early so that buys a little time. I could sleep in to 7:00 or 7:30 which would make this feasible. However, the kids won't be going to bed so early, so I would be missing out on family time. That's when it starts putting strain on the marriage - me leaving to go work out and leaving her with the kids every night - that's not a great idea.

I'm not going to quit before I start; I'm going to give it the ol' collegiate try but I have serious doubts I can do this.

Is your goal to have one or two actual competitive fights and that would satiate the goal or to make competing a permanent hobby/lifestyle? I liken it to people who want to train for one marathon/triathlon to say they have done it. That also puts a strain on relationships b/c of the training time. But from people I know that have done it as a one time thing (or maybe two times) their wives were able to be cool with less time together in the short run knowing there was an end point to the intense training.

Would you be OK with going and having a fight or two and then backing off to just have it as a fitness routine sort of thing? If the answer is yes, maybe talk with the family about it and see if they would be supportive of a temporary increase in your training load knowing that afterward they'd have more time with you at home again.

moleculo, there's an event coming to the area pretty soon, right? You planning on being in it or going to it?
when/if I'm ready, it won't be until the fall. I'm a long way away.

There are local events here around Charlotte pretty much monthly. The organizations our school fights thrugh (mostly) are:

Fight Labs: next event is Apr 5th, but no one from our school is on that card. Most fights are in Charlotte.

Freedom Fighter (USFFC): also Apr 5th, no one from our school is on that card either. fights are typically in Marion, NC but they have been traveling lately. This fight is in Beaufort.

USFFC also has a show 4/26 in Winston Salem. I probably will go to that, my buddy is a headliner. Technically we have two guys on that card but I think one won't make it - he hasn't been in lately and my instructor is pretty pissed.

####ed up my ankle last night. not sure how bad this is going to be. I've been icing it most of the day today and when not icing it, I am Ace-bandaging it. Swelling isn't bad at all and it doesn't hurt much, unless I try to walk. That hurts. I hope it's an ankle thing, and not a lisfranc. it's kind of hard to pin-point exactly where it hurts - lower ankle vs upper foot.

I was planning on joining a gym this weekend and start lifting. I've never been into lifting, but I recognize that I need to be stronger. Every time I've tried joining a gym, I've quit within a few months. Lifting for no purpose other than to lift - sounds pointless to me. But, if I have aspirations to get in the cage, suddenly lifting has a purpose and I think I can stick with it. Time-wise, I drop my daughter off at her school at 7:00 every day (class starts at 7:15. If she took the bus, she would leave our neighborhood at 6:10 or so). If I skipped my shower, I could drop her off at 6:45, get in a lift and shower and make it to work by 8:30 - seems totally doable. From here, it's a matter of finding a good routine. my friends that lift suggest lots of squats, deadlifts, olympic lifts and that like...I think this is the program that I'm going to do to get started, but I'm completely new to this game so if anyone has any advice, please chime in. Obviously, I'm not going to do anything that that hurts my ankle until that gets better.
If you want to build functional strength, I'd suggest finding a kettlebell routine. I think that type of weight training would be much more beneficial to what you need it for.

Users who are viewing this thread