What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike and the Mad Dog show (Not Done!) (4 Viewers)

I put this in the Howard Stern show thread, but for those who missed it, the great Sour Shoes was in the Mad Dog sound-alike contest last month, and he killed. He sounded more like Dog than any of the other contestants, but he got penalized for mixing in too many other impressions. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7UjedeOak4

You also get a little bit of Francesa ("What's his AWNN BASE PERCENTAGE!!!") at the 4:02 mark, as well as John Minko, Baba Booey and a perfect Ferrall.

LOL @ Doris calling from heaven. The long-time WFAN listeners will get that.
Jesus. Doris from Rego Park. I couldn't stand when she called in. I know she was sick, but I still didn't enjoy listening to her hack through a conversation.
yeah, kind of sad that she passed although I never thought she brought much to the table in terms of actual content.

still seemed like a nice lady
Yeah definitely sad.

I believe Vinnie from Queens and Eli from Weschester (who was always claiming racism) both passed away several years ago too.
Joe D probably doesn't have much time left either

my problem with the old-timers is that they very often don't actually talk about anything.. they just rehash what happened the night before.. they don't bring anything to the table.
Doesn't that describe every person who calls in to sports radio and then sits on hold for an hour?

Dr. Octopus said:
Fatso today declared that he would be SHOCKED if the Knicks lost tonight, and said he'd be surprised if they didn't put the Celtics away early.

9:04 left in the 4th Q.... Boston 75, NY 60

:thumbup:
He went as far as to dismiss a caller who asked what he thinks would happen in the series if the Knicks lost Game 5. He said he can't even comment because it won't happen.

Here's the rub, that you'll love. he said that if it does happen he'll come on tomorrow (today) and admit he was wrong. Imagine that.

Wonder what his excuse will be to not admit he was wrong.
:oldunsure:
Deleted, when I realized that you were already on top of it.

Dr. Octopus said:
Fatso today declared that he would be SHOCKED if the Knicks lost tonight, and said he'd be surprised if they didn't put the Celtics away early.

9:04 left in the 4th Q.... Boston 75, NY 60

:thumbup:
He went as far as to dismiss a caller who asked what he thinks would happen in the series if the Knicks lost Game 5. He said he can't even comment because it won't happen.

Here's the rub, that you'll love. he said that if it does happen he'll come on tomorrow (today) and admit he was wrong. Imagine that.

Wonder what his excuse will be to not admit he was wrong.
:oldunsure:
Deleted, when I realized that you were already on top of it.
For about two pages. :lol:

And I'm still shocked that he hasn't admitted that he was wrong, as he promised he'd do.

Of course, I get nothing but a busy signal. If any of you are bored and can get through, ask him when he's going to say it.

:banned:

How are his ratings and does the FAN have any legit competition in NYC?
ESPN radio never got the traction even if they have a much more appealing on-air cast for the casual fan Mike and Mike has to have as much appeal as Boomer and CartonJoe and Evan is just horrible, I'd listen to the Herd every day of the week, but Lupica is awfulStephen A is a clown but he's better than Joe and EvanMike is a blowhard but still has a bigger voice than Michael Kay, although honestly the Kay show is not badSummers is a snoozefest, the guys in the evening on ESPN have been better for years. although I'm not happy they got rid of Bill Daughterythe overnight FAN group is dreadful
I won't listen to Carton under any circumstances. Haven't been able to stand him since his fake "Jersey Guys" days (he lived in Pennsylvania the whole time) Mike and Mike is okay but the zillion commercials has me flipping to news radio. Joe and Evan, eh - except when their teams play like crap. Cowherd I can only take in small doses though.Francesa is way more :popcorn: than Kay. And the Billy Joel sign-off that Kay uses is only 2nd to the Flo progressive commercials in the "annoying things that make me switch the station category" I like Somers. He's a classic. I like Tony Page too. The national guys on ESPN are okay but whatever garbage CBS sports radio puts on will be garbage I'm sure. I remember the time WFAN put Ferrell's syndicated show on in the evenings - it was an unmitigated disaster and a short lived experiment. NY-area teams are not gonna wanna be on FM. Part of why these teams have bigger followings is because you can hear them far and wide. -QG
Poor me a Guinness
:banned:

So a guy calls up a few minutes ago and says someone should bloody Crawford for what he said to Melo. Mike laughs and says "you have to ignore it"... meanwhile, he has no idea what the caller is talking about.

http://deadspin.com/melos-wife-to-jordan-crawford-you-on-the-bench-for-a-487287534

And then "Maestro" calls and says something about "banging your wife" and Victor cut him off. Mike had no idea what Maestro said and he thought the guy just hung up or something. The guy is clueless.

I'm sure Mikey would be fine with someone saying that about his wife.

I just caught the end where he said the Knicks are now "in a pressure cooker". Always caught up on what's going on in the world, that Mikey.
Whattaya mean day will be fine? Ahh ya outta ya mind? Dare inna presha cooka!!! Get lost. I can't take anymaw of dis babble.

I put this in the Howard Stern show thread, but for those who missed it, the great Sour Shoes was in the Mad Dog sound-alike contest last month, and he killed. He sounded more like Dog than any of the other contestants, but he got penalized for mixing in too many other impressions. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7UjedeOak4

You also get a little bit of Francesa ("What's his AWNN BASE PERCENTAGE!!!") at the 4:02 mark, as well as John Minko, Baba Booey and a perfect Ferrall.

LOL @ Doris calling from heaven. The long-time WFAN listeners will get that.
Doris *cough, cough*; I miss having her around, Jerome on the other hand...
Wasn't there a theory that Jerome was the same guy that leaves the voicemails on Stern for Robin in which he mostly just repeats the n-word? Hateman?

So a guy calls up a few minutes ago and says someone should bloody Crawford for what he said to Melo. Mike laughs and says "you have to ignore it"... meanwhile, he has no idea what the caller is talking about.

http://deadspin.com/melos-wife-to-

jordan-crawford-you-on-the-bench-for-a-487287534

And then "Maestro" calls and says something

about "banging your wife" and Victor cut him off. Mike had no idea what Maestro said and he thought the guy just hung up or something. The guy is clueless.

I'm sure Mikey would be fine with someone saying that about his wife.
Doc should sub Crawford in a few minutes into Game 6 and have him guard Melo. Let h

On Thursday Russo was talking about gay athletes who came out after their careers were over. He noted Dave Meggyesy as one. He meant Dave Kopay. Russo has never been good with names.

On Thursday Russo was talking about gay athletes who came out after their careers were over. He noted Dave Meggyesy as one. He meant Dave Kopay. Russo has never been good with names.
Did you hear him attempt to say "Rocco Mediate" on Friday at about 5:20?

The first name came out as "Rocky" and the last name was unintelligible.

As an aside, I know it must sound like I hate everyone who has a sports talk show. Not true.

Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on "Moving the Chains" are beyond excellent.

Scott Van Pelt is knowledgeable, humorous, likable and has zero ego.

Ben Maller, who works overnight weekends on FOX Sports Radio fits the same description as SVP. Love falling asleep to his show.

I can even tolerate Doug Gottlieb in small doses, when he's not off on one of his sanctimonious rants about this or that.
Gottlieb is where we part ways, my friend. Small doses? How abut "no doses"? As soon as I hear that smug, self-righteous idiot's voice I want to choke newborn puppies. Jim Mora, Jr is a complete ###, but his smack-down of Gottleib is one the highlights of my sports-talk-listening life (& Gottleib was actually RIGHT). DG is a Cowherd wannabe - how's THAT for a low bar? - and he even fails at that. As much as I can't stand Rome, I's French-kiss him for a year before ever listening to Gottleib again. Beyond awful.

Van Pelt has the best national show of anyone, even with the albatross of Rusillio (sp?) dragging him down. He speaks his mind, but doesn't try for shock value like Cowherd - who, I'm convinced, has no REAL opinion on anything - Gottleib, et al. His opening on the day Jason Collins came out was one the most fair-minded, reasoned monologues I've ever heard.

The rest of the media (not just sports) could do well to be more like SVP and less like Gottleib.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside, I know it must sound like I hate everyone who has a sports talk show. Not true.

Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on "Moving the Chains" are beyond excellent.

Scott Van Pelt is knowledgeable, humorous, likable and has zero ego.

Ben Maller, who works overnight weekends on FOX Sports Radio fits the same description as SVP. Love falling asleep to his show.

I can even tolerate Doug Gottlieb in small doses, when he's not off on one of his sanctimonious rants about this or that.
Gottlieb is where we part ways, my friend. Small doses? How abut "no doses"? As soon as I hear that smug, self-righteous idiot's voice I want to choke newborn puppies. Jim Mora, Jr is a complete ###, but his smack-down of Gottleib is one the highlights of my sports-talk-listening life (& Gottleib was actually RIGHT). DG is a Cowherd wannabe - how's THAT for a low bar? - and he even fails at that. As much as I can't stand Rome, I's French-kiss him for a year before ever listening to Gottleib again. Beyond awful.

Van Pelt has the best national show of anyone, even with the albatross of Rusillio (sp?) dragging him down. He speaks his mind, but doesn't try for shock value like Cowherd - who, I'm convinced, has no REAL opinion on anything - Gottleib, et al. His opening on the day Jason Collins came out was one the most fair-minded, reasoned monologues I've ever heard.

The rest of the media (not just sports) could do well to be more like SVP and less like Gottleib.
SVP is the best sports talk radio host out there. Rusillo isn't too bad, but he can't carry the show by himself.

We now get to hear him talk about the Rangers and BROONS series for the next two weeks.

You'll pay attention to his pronunciation of Bruins now. And when you hear it, a smile will creep in.

Speaking of mispronounced words, Francesa cannot say the word "worry"... he says WERRY. And it's been driving me nuts for years. Last week, a guy calls up and says "Hey Mike... just wanna know if you are werried about the Knicks. I mean, do we have anything to werry about? Should we werry about the Pacers? How about Melo, should we werry?" :lol:

Mike knew he was being stupid, but he had no idea what the guy was clowning him about.

This is a yuge game at the Gawden tonight. I mean, let's be honest. The Pacers can't keep shooting these ridiculous puhcentages. These aren't the '86 Celtics. These guys are YUMAN.

Fatty (who knows nothing about hockey) was going off on callers last week for saying Tortorella should be fired and saying there is no way he'd be fired :lmao:

i was listening to francesca yesterday and his contempt for the callers is unbelievable. It is like a chef opening up a restaurant and yelling at the diners for coming in to eat. But somehow these morons continue to call up. Even the ones who he doesn't overtly make fun of or yell at, he disregards any opinion other than his as BS. Just an awful person.

He also said that "NO WAY" the heat are taken to a game 7 in the playoffs this year. I wonder what he'll be saying in a week when they are playing game 7 in miami. "i never said that"

just awful.

He again started in again yesterday with the nauseating "I've been on HAWVEY's knob since Day 1" shtick.

Mushnick wrote this the other day:

Mike Francesa, gambling man, claims he never trashed Matt Harvey, that he immediately, expertly and consistently identified Harvey as special. OK, then, I’m-rich Mr. Big Shot, $10,000 says late last August you trashed Harvey on the air as bogus Mets hype. Whattya say? We on?
I'm going to call him next chance I get. As he goes to me, I am going to have this cued up to the 9 second mark, and I'll blast it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqm-cMeVf4g

I'll have a better chance of getting it through when he's on remote like he's been the past few days. When he's out of the studio, he doesn't have the ability to cut off callers himself. Instead, he gives the POPE HAND WAVE for the producer to get rid of the call. That might be all the time I need.

I hear he broke some major news today

SportsPope investigative reporter
Funny you should mention that. Email I sent to Mushnick a couple hours ago:

Did you know that these two are thisclose to being sent down?

Evidently, Mike has a source in the Mets organization, and he was

told that Tejada and Davis are close to being sent down. That's what

this source told Mike. The source told Mike that Tejada and Davis are

on the edge of being sent down. Not sure if you heard that or not. Mike

has this source, see, and the source revealed that Tejada and Davis

are close to being sent down.

Oh, also, Mike has source in the Mets organization. A source. Got it?

>>Did you know that these two are thisclose to being sent down?

I've said this before, but now I'm more convinced than ever that you're my father. He sends that tool #### like this all the time.

>Did you know that these two are thisclose to being sent down?

Nope he broke into the Joe & Evan show to break the Tortarella news... RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously... how do you not love Mushnick! Today's column:

In a city thick with guess-again and newspaper-reliant radio blowhards — the looming cicada invasion might provide some audio relief — immodesty prevented Mike Francesa from mentioning that this week he made world history.

The Academie’ International le Radio et Buzzing Devices, headquartered in Vichy, France, announced Francesa is now the all-time leader in disseminating half-truths, non-truths, wishful fabrications and in treating both listeners and co-workers as “les miserables.”

The announcement further reads, “In so doing, Monsieur Francesa has surpassed Tokyo Rose.”

The statement later noted Francesa surpassed Tokyo Rose — no relation to Howie Rose — because she did make good on her promises to play popular music for Allied sailors and soldiers throughout World War II.

Wonder which one put Francesa over the top. Perhaps it was Tuesday’s bit when he knowingly declared John Tortorella’s job as Rangers coach was in no jeopardy, whatsoever. You know how he says such things, as if he actually knows.

Of course, Francesa knows as much about the few things he admits to not knowing well — hockey, Al Alburquerque — as he does about those he claims superior expertise — baseball, basketball, football, golf, horseracing and the absence of a sales tax in Connecticut (startling news to its residents). And the sum of that knowledge is nothing.

Yet, he declared Tortorella, known to hockey fans as divisive and abrasive — and coming off a five-game playoff loss — safe. As if he knew!

And he referred to Tortorella as “Torts,” another transparency to promote himself as a XXX-L big shot. “Torts” is among the legions of Francesa’s imaginary big-time buddies throughout sports, entertainment, global politics, waste management and those who employ drivers.

Given Francesa’s track record for being both colossally and immediately wrong — Volume Six is nearly complete — Tortorella was fired the next day. And then Francesa credited himself for breaking the story — the one he knowingly assured us, a day prior, would not happen!

If we were as arrogantly, consistently and sensationally wrong as Francesa, we either would have ceased making “superior knowledge-based” predictions or begun to have fun with our failures.

Either way, we would cease pretending to an audience that knows better, that we know better, and that our lowly listeners are lucky to share the air we breathe — at least after we exhale. But Francesa is all gall, no shame.

And he wasn’t done with the Rangers. An hour or so after Tortorella was sacked — as if on Francesa’s reverse-cue — he said, “The name I’m hearing” to replace Tortorella “is Lindsey Ruff.” Said it three times — “Lindsey Ruff.”

Fascinating. Lindy Ruff has been an NHL presence as a player then coach since 1979, but the name he “kept hearing” he likely never had heard of until it became easy, NHL-wide speculation, then he presented it as “what I’m hearing.”

Several times daily, Francesa, from behind his curtained lab in The Emerald City, tries to make a fool of someone — bullying and denigrating undeserving souls, in and out of the studio. That’s his sense of sport and good radio. But such misanthropic egomania invariably exposes him as dressed in the emperor’s old new clothes.

Perhaps Francesa surpassed Tokyo Rose on Tuesday, when he granted a peon a few seconds. The caller sounded like an elderly man with a point to make about a “a hitch” in Ike Davis’s swing. Francesa jumped him, cut him off, beat him up. He sarcastically, cruelly claimed that he, Mike Francesa, had no idea Davis is in a slump.

That Francesa’s unwarranted, schoolyard bully mistreatment was lost on the poor man, and that Francesa thought his audience would admire the way he belittled and big-timed this guy just for kicks, made Francesa the heel once again.

Anyone and everyone can be wrong, a lot, too. But Francesa speaks as if he 1) knows all, and 2) is never wrong, when both 1) and 2) are b) completely false. In fact he often is so wrong and so disinclined toward the honesty to acknowledge such, it’s funny! The only one left who takes Francesa seriously is Francesa!

Thus, when he pompously picked the elderly Spurs to lose in the first round of the NBA playoffs (they then beat the Warriors) then followed it with the Grizzlies breezing past the Spurs (the Spurs swept!) he again set himself up for the ridicule he pours on others, many of them only guilty of being foolish enough to wait to speak with him, make that, Him.

The all-knowing sage who mocked professional forecasters to instead predict Hurricane Sandy would be a mere passing rainstorm, could bring instant world peace, simply by expertly predicting World War III for this Tuesday.

CC Sabathia, not pitching well as of late this week, was given Francesa’s OK. “I’m not worried about Sabathia,” he declared, as if he were Yankees manager Joe Girardi. “Whew,” wrote reader Jim Atorino, “that’s a relief.”

He again started in again yesterday with the nauseating "I've been on HAWVEY's knob since Day 1" shtick.

Mushnick wrote this the other day:

Mike Francesa, gambling man, claims he never trashed Matt Harvey, that he immediately, expertly and consistently identified Harvey as special. OK, then, I’m-rich Mr. Big Shot, $10,000 says late last August you trashed Harvey on the air as bogus Mets hype. Whattya say? We on?
I'm going to call him next chance I get. As he goes to me, I am going to have this cued up to the 9 second mark, and I'll blast it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqm-cMeVf4g

I'll have a better chance of getting it through when he's on remote like he's been the past few days. When he's out of the studio, he doesn't have the ability to cut off callers himself. Instead, he gives the POPE HAND WAVE for the producer to get rid of the call. That might be all the time I need.
Listening for you, can you use an FBG name perhaps?

Tell em your name is Otis from Bayshoooore. Or Dodds from Hackensack

Some dude today called to call Fatso out for the Harvey thing, he referenced some show (August 23rd I think) where Fatso said that Harvey was all hype

Fatso dismissed him immediately

I love how he's Mr. Hockey when the Rangers and Islanders are in the playoffs. He'll have hockey experts on all day. Once they got eliminated, the NHL simply DOES. NOT. EXIST. It's perfectly fine, however, to discuss the NBA all day when the Knicks and Nets aren't involved.

It's been a few weeks. Time for an update.

All of the following happened in the past two days. I can only imagine the material I would have if I still listened full-time.

1) He went on and on about how much trouble the Patriots are in, losing Gronk, Hernandez and Welker. "It's a disaster... the Pats have NO ruh-cee-viz now!" Not once was Danny Amendola mentioned. I would bet my life he has zero clue that New England picked up a younger, quicker version of Welker. Just like when he said Arizona should just feed the ball to Beanie Wells this year -- only problem is that he was released two months earlier. We move on....

2) He had Steve Schirripa (Bobby Bacala on The Sopranos) in studio today to talk about the passing of James Gandolfini. Schirripa managed to get a few stories in cleanly. Another twelve times, Fatso interrupted him to let us know about everything Gandolfini said to him on the numerous occasions they rubbed elbows. Because Francesa is very, very important, you know. Riveting tales such as Gandolfini telling him "I don't really follow sports that much, Mike" and "Jim gave me a big bear hug when he saw me!"

3) Yesterday, a caller suggests that Ichiro should bat 2nd to help the Yankees' struggling offense. Mike screams at him, saying "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU???? YOU DON'T BAT THREE LEFTIES IN A ROW!!!" So today the Yankees lineup comes out -- 24 hours after that phone call. Not only is Ichiro batting 2nd, but the Yanks have *FIVE* lefties batting in a row at the top of the order. :lmao: You can't make it up.

So a dude calls up and says he owes the Ichiro caller from yesterday an apology. All Tubby had to do was say "Absolutely... I was wrong." But that's not his style. Instead, shockingly, he goes into his usual inane BLAH BLAH BLAH bulls##t and makes some lame excuse.

We lose Gandolfini and this clown gets to stay here on earth. Life ain't fair.

Incidentally, Aaron may be a prophet with the thread title. Mike and The Mad Dog may not be done. Dog's contract with Sirius/XM expires in a month or so, and it doesn't look like they have any interest in giving him a new deal. So Russo will likely be a free agent, and some people think he may be reunited with Mr. Perfect.

Incidentally, Aaron may be a prophet with the thread title. Mike and The Mad Dog may not be done. Dog's contract with Sirius/XM expires in a month or so, and it doesn't look like they have any interest in giving him a new deal. So Russo will likely be a free agent, and some people think he may be reunited with Mr. Perfect.
Say somethin' funny my-kay!

Say somethin' funny my-kay!
It really is fascinating that pairing up two individual imbeciles makes for such great radio.

Users who are viewing this thread