What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Green (1 Viewer)

Musesboy

Footballguy
Bears | Green traded to Seattle

Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:23:59 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Chicago Bears have traded veteran FS Mike Green to the Seattle Seahawks for a 2006 sixth-round draft pick.

CHICAGO - The Seattle Seahawks acquired veteran safety Mike Green from the Chicago Bears for a sixth-round draft pick on Tuesday.

Taken with the and final pick in the 2000 draft from Northwestern State, Green had 437 total tackles (282 solo), six sacks, four interceptions and 27 pass breakups in six seasons with the Bears. Green was second on the team to linebacker Brian Urlacher with a career-high 138 tackles in 2002 and 132 in 2004.

Good luck to Seattle. Green is decently good near the line of scrimmage but is a horrible deep cover safety. He has always taken bad routes to block a pass or get a open field tackle. I am glad he is gone and surprised the Bears got a pick for him.

Rumor is Green ask for the trade when he found out Ricky Manning Jr wanted to meet at Denny's to go over some game film! :boxing:

IMO, Green just adds depth for Seattle to help replace Manuel. Hamlin should still be the starter there, assuming that he's able to recover. But, the defense was burned in the Super Bowl when Manuel got hurt, so adding some experienced depth back there was important for Seattle.

As for the Bears, they definitely have high hopes for Chris Harris. But, him and Mike Brown suffered injuries in 2005 and adding depth will be important. I expect they'll try to upgrade their secondary depth (CB/S) through the draft. Undrafted FS Brandon McGowan played well last year but is recovering from a knee injury and may not be available until after the season starts.

The Bears did try hard to land Adam Archuleta in free agency, so don't be surprised if they look to add a Strong Safety in the draft and move Mike Brown back to Free Safety.

I don't think Tillman to FS is going to happen anytime soon. He's a great CB for the Tampa 2 system.

green wasn't a starter in CHI anyway... so it doesn't necessarily bear on whether tillman gets shifted from CB to FS...

definitely hamlin is the starter in FS if he is able... i think he has been cleared by his own doctor but SEA medical staff may be more catious...

i agree green not very good in coverage... better fit as SS... but they already have boulware there... so it is probably a move for depth, as was stated...

in NFC west, with withering aerial attacks of STL & ARI, you probably can't have too many storm troopers for war in tne sky...

Guess Hamlin isn't doing as well as thought.
Exactly what immediately came to my mind. Also the Bears must be pretty happy with Chris Harris.
Why? They need a backup, and that is what Green is.
making a move like this right before the draft tells me they want extra insurance for Hamlin. that's all i was getting at. I agree that he's backup quality.

A DB will be drafted. Bears dont seem eager to swap out a CB, and there is no way they are letting their safeties remain this thin after last season.

If there is one thing i pray the Bears have etched in their memories, it's Delhomme spotting Chris Thompson lined up across from Steve Smith and changing the play at the LOS. Bears need depth at DB, and it looks like things have gotten worse so far in the off season.

Good luck to Seattle. Green is decently good near the line of scrimmage but is a horrible deep cover safety. He has always taken bad routes to block a pass or get a open field tackle. I am glad he is gone and surprised the Bears got a pick for him.
Had high expectations for Mr. Irrelavant, did you?

Exactly what immediately came to my mind. Also the Bears must be pretty happy with Chris Harris.
Like FF and AR said, Seattle needed a safety regardless. Prior to making this trade they carried a total of four (Hart, Pruitt, Boulware, Hamlin) and Pruitt is likely headed back to the practice squad. This move also signals IMO, that they will not use their #1 pick on a Safety and draft a CB or a DT depending on availability. Minor signing and Green is really just insurance.

Why? They need a backup, and that is what Green is.
making a move like this right before the draft tells me they want extra insurance for Hamlin. that's all i was getting at. I agree that he's backup quality.
Why do you see it as "extra" insurance for Hamlin and not just signing a backup? Who is the other insurance behind Hamlin, that you see this as "Extra" insurance? Seattle had no viable backup, so whether or not Hamlin was injured, they needed someone.

IMO, Green just adds depth for Seattle to help replace Manuel. Hamlin should still be the starter there, assuming that he's able to recover. But, the defense was burned in the Super Bowl when Manuel got hurt, so adding some experienced depth back there was important for Seattle.

As for the Bears, they definitely have high hopes for Chris Harris. But, him and Mike Brown suffered injuries in 2005 and adding depth will be important. I expect they'll try to upgrade their secondary depth (CB/S) through the draft. Undrafted FS Brandon McGowan played well last year but is recovering from a knee injury and may not be available until after the season starts.

The Bears did try hard to land Adam Archuleta in free agency, so don't be surprised if they look to add a Strong Safety in the draft and move Mike Brown back to Free Safety.

I don't think Tillman to FS is going to happen anytime soon. He's a great CB for the Tampa 2 system.
Mike Green had a solid season 2 years ago, but last season was horrendous.Maybe he'll rebound in Seattle, but the Bears did good to get a 6th rounder for him.

but the Bears did good to get a 6th rounder for him.
I agree with this. He's not a very good player, although most wouldn't know it from looking at his stats as a starter. But, trading him does leave them a little thin at the safety spot for the time being.

It's a good move for Seattle. Hopefully this means Etric "practice squad" Pruitt will never take the field for anything but special teams.

And this trade doesn't reflect a lack of faith in Ken Hamlin any more than the re-signing Seneca Wallace would on Hasselbeck. Every position needs backups...

Had high expectations for Mr. Irrelavant, did you?
This far into one's career, where you got drafted is irrelavant. How good you are now is relevant? Green is a very limited defensive back who is borderline backup material. The chance to give him up and take a stab at a 6th round pick is good value.

This far into one's career, where you got drafted is irrelavant. How good you are now is relevant? Green is a very limited defensive back who is borderline backup material. The chance to give him up and take a stab at a 6th round pick is good value.
I would think you would be pleased that you got any production at all from a guy who was never supposed to even play in this league. Nowadays, a guy almost never demands more in a trade for draft picks than what he was originally drafted for. It sounds like the Bears really scored by selecting this guy. Why the animousity?

The Bears now have three quality corners and two quality safeties. I very much doubt they will move Tillman considering they probably won't be able to match his value at corner and the improvement over Harris is minimal if any improvement at all.

Brown and Harris are very good near the line of scrimmage but are a bit limited in coverage. The Bears need a good centerfielder. Harris should grow into a better coverage safety but SS is not as much of a need as FS is for the Bears.

Last thing about Tillman, he had an up and down year but he has the talent to rebound and still be a very good corner. He just needs to focus better each and every play.

As for the Bears draft, I see TE and LB or FS in the first two rounds. Then LB or FS, CB, and OL the rest of the draft.

I would think you would be pleased that you got any production at all from a guy who was never supposed to even play in this league. Nowadays, a guy almost never demands more in a trade for draft picks than what he was originally drafted for. It sounds like the Bears really scored by selecting this guy. Why the animousity?
No animosity here. It was a good draft pick but he has not been a good player the last two years and the Bears are lucky to get any value for him. The Bears have been good recently in selecting second day contributors and continue to reap the benefits of their success in big and small ways.

It's a good move for Seattle. Hopefully this means Etric "practice squad" Pruitt will never take the field for anything but special teams.

And this trade doesn't reflect a lack of faith in Ken Hamlin any more than the re-signing Seneca Wallace would on Hasselbeck. Every position needs backups...
I sat next to his wife (7 months preg) at the Super Bowl. I felt pretty bad for her. Especially after I said,"This is his big chance. Interception, fumble recovery and he's a hero." There was no "or" anywhere in the conversation.

:wall:

I sat next to his wife (7 months preg) at the Super Bowl. I felt pretty bad for her. Especially after I said,"This is his big chance. Interception, fumble recovery and he's a hero." There was no "or" anywhere in the conversation.

Ouch.I feel bad for him. The guy was in way over his head.

It's a good move for Seattle.  Hopefully this means Etric "practice squad" Pruitt will never take the field for anything but special teams.

And this trade doesn't reflect a lack of faith in Ken Hamlin any more than the re-signing Seneca Wallace would on Hasselbeck.  Every position needs backups...

Ouch.I feel bad for him. The guy was in way over his head.
Me and this other Seahawk fan talked about it right after the game. I felt bad for the guy. Her mood went from :hifive: to completely :( after the Parker run.

I think this is a classic case of a win-win trade scenario.

The Bears only had 5 picks in this year's draft (1, 2, 4, 5 and 6th rounders).

As far as Seattle goes, it was highly unlikely they'd get an immediate contributor this year in Round 6. Green is an above average special teams player and could push for the starting FS spot.

As far as Seattle goes, it was highly unlikely they'd get an immediate contributor this year in Round 6. Green is an above average special teams player and could push for the starting FS spot.
Nope.

Nope.
Really.. what am I sniffin'He could push for the dime back spot.

This far into one's career, where you got drafted is irrelavant.  How good you are now is relevant?  Green is a very limited defensive back who is borderline backup material. The chance to give him up and take a stab at a 6th round pick is good value.
No animosity here. It was a good draft pick but he has not been a good player the last two years and the Bears are lucky to get any value for him. The Bears have been good recently in selecting second day contributors and continue to reap the benefits of their success in big and small ways.
Bottom line ..... Another good move for the NFC Champions!

Why the hell did the Cowboys not burn up the phone line to get this guy??? A sixth round pick? That would have been a great move for the Cowboys...who are still in dire need of a decent FS..

:goodposting:

Why the hell did the Cowboys not burn up the phone line to get this guy??? A sixth round pick? That would have been a great move for the Cowboys...who are still in dire need of a decent FS..
Please know that he is not a decent free safety. Be glad you didn't get him unless what you need is a special teams player who can moonlight as a safety who better be near the line of scrimmage consistently.

:goodposting:
:no:

Seahawks fans probably shouldn't get too excited about this pickup. But, the cost was cheap...so they can always get rid of him easily when they find somebody better.

My first thought was L.Schulters. I thought he was going to be signed by SEA and there have been some reports he won't be going back to MIA so where does that leave him? He's not great but good enough to start somewhere.

I was hoping Seattle could do better than this. I don't believe he's being brought in as a backup. Hamlin screwed up, he went out got drunk, and got his egg cracked. I doubt he'll be anything but a shade of what he used to be. Even if his head is structurally sound. I have to believe he'll suffer some comfidence problems. Having a safety with a cracked skull is not good, considering their job is to hit people with it.

I was hoping Seattle could do better than this. I don't believe he's being brought in as a backup. Hamlin screwed up, he went out got drunk, and got his egg cracked. I doubt he'll be anything but a shade of what he used to be. Even if his head is structurally sound. I have to believe he'll suffer some comfidence problems. Having a safety with a cracked skull is not good, considering their job is to hit people with it.
I'll take that bet.

Users who are viewing this thread