What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings @ Green Bay Packers (1 Viewer)

Who do you think will win?

• Minnesota

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Bay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Off ESPN.comThere have been 17 wild-card games in which the teams were divisional opponents who faced each other twice during the season. In nine of those cases, the franchises split the regular-season series. Eight times, one team had swept the season series, and five of those teams went on to win the third matchup, pretty much debunking the popular notion that it is next to impossible to defeat a team three times in the same season. Pittsburgh, which defeated Cleveland three times in 2002, is the last team to compete the trifecta.For the record, all four active NFC teams this weekend are coached by a Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start some discussion...Will Randy Moss be a big player for the Vikes? Was he sandbagging his injured leg at all in the last few games?Might we see some Mewelde Moore in at RB - the offense really thrived with him before.

Off ESPN.comThere have been 17 wild-card games in which the teams were divisional opponents who faced each other twice during the season. In nine of those cases, the franchises split the regular-season series. Eight times, one team had swept the season series, and five of those teams went on to win the third matchup, pretty much debunking the popular notion that it is next to impossible to defeat a team three times in the same season. Pittsburgh, which defeated Cleveland three times in 2002, is the last team to compete the trifecta.For the record, all four active NFC teams this weekend are coached by a Mike.
The Packers swept the Bucs 3x in 97', I believe. That's the last chance they had at facing a team 3 times.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb1997.htm

Green Bay did in fact sweep the Bucs in 1997, winning at home in the wildcard round.

How many of you knew the Pack led the NFL in pass attempts this year? They average over 37 throws per game.

They were 10th in yards per pass, 12th in yards per rush, 26th in yards per pass allowed, and 27th in yards per rush allowed.

The Vikings ranked 2nd in yards per pass, 2nd in yards per attempt, 29th in yards per pass allowed, and 29th in yards per rush allowed.

This game has all the makings of another shootout in the thirties.

I give Culpepper the edge, as he had an absolute monster of a year. I say Minny pulls the upset. (Although I'm very leery of both the way Minnesota ended the year and their road/outdoors woes.)

I don't understand how MIN is going to win this game. GB is 30-4 since Favre took over late in the year at home, including 7-1 in the playoffs at home.MIN is 12-22 on the road in late year games, including 1-5 in the playoffs over the same period.MIN's troubles on grass in cold weather is also well documented. Then you have the 2 crushing losses to GB this year on the last second FGs, and Chavous being out this coming game & the MIN loss in a high-pressure game for them last week while GB was able to rest their players last week while routing CHI.I just don't see how MIN can win this game.

...and Chavous being out this coming game
Their defense was bad enough already. Losing Chavous makes it even worse, if that's possible.Walker and Driver will think they're back in high school. :lol:

Randy Moss will be able to head for the tunnel much sooner this game.The Packers display a very balanced offense and mix the run/pass to perfection.Vikes start to self destruct early in the 3rd Quarter.Pack 40Vikes 10

A lot is being made of the first two close games between these two. I don't buy it. Since those games, Minnie has gone downhill. They are playing wholly uninspired, and a matchup IN Lambeau, IN January, is going to somehow bring out the best in them, which they will no doubt need? No way. It will be even harder than the first two times they met. Please tell me some of you saw the end of the Washington game. That was a team that has mailed it in, folks. Oh, and Mike Tice? Please...Minny-me has left the building. Packers in a blowout. :2cents:

I've said it before, and i'll say it again...... This game scares the living crap out of me. :unsure:

LOL @ STD.I hope someone is dumb enough to take you up on that. :rotflmao:
Hey, at least I throw my support behind ONE team instead of being a bandwagon jumper - Mr. Packers, no wait the Broncos are good I'll support them fan. :hophead: ;)

I "hope" the Vikes win. :excited: I "think" the Pack wins. :X Can we get a defense for the Vikes before this weekend?

Hey, at least I throw my support behind ONE team instead of being a bandwagon jumper - Mr. Packers, no wait the Broncos are good I'll support them fan. :hophead: ;)
I've got enough :heart: within me to support two teams - the one I grew up with & the one I adopted. ;)

I've got enough :heart: within me to support two teams - the one I grew up with & the one I adopted. ;)
Just as some of us have enough venom to hate more than one team, though all good-hearted, right thinking people can agree that the Vikings reek.

Such confidence in an overrated Packers team.
How exactly are they overrated? They have one of the best offenses in the NFL and one of the worst defenses in the league hands down. I don't think anyone -- not even Packer fans -- are saying this is a great team. It's not. But it's certainly good enough (due to its offense) to win the NFC given the massive questions surrounding the Eagles (no TO and Reid's questionable decision to rest his top guys for a month). The NFC is wide open once again. I don't see a dominant team in the conference right now.

Just checked the weather in Green Bay. A high of 40F for Sunday. Not too bad! Just a bit cold for premium football weather. Saturday it is suppose to get to 27F. :excited: The Vikes would struggle in those conditions. GB 31Minn 21

I think the Vikings pull the upset. Neither team can stop anyone. I think Tice gets his thinking cap out and actually RUNS the ball and utilizes Bennett on screens and such well enough to let Moss and Co get behind the cover-2 DF GB is probably gonna play.Not a shootout this time do to both teams trying to run the ball:Minn 24GB 20 (Favre's desperation pass as time expires is knocked down by Moss playing DB against the hail mary)Mike

Just a little note for those into stats:1. Vikings record last 22 outdoor road games: 2-20 (you knew that - heard it all week).2. Vikings record last 2 games at Lambeau Field: 1-1 :shock: This is a rivalry game...ANYTHING can happen. As a Viking fan, I'm not sure they will win, but it should be fun!!

their points scored & allowed.

----------

Packers (5th offense, 24th defense) 5+24 = 29

Vikings (6th offense, 25th defense) 6+25 = 31

Translation: neither of these teams will win the super bowl.

Offensive/Defensive Efficienies:

-----------

O:Packers 6071 yards, 393 points = 15.45

D:Packers 5295 yards, 366 points = 14.47

O:Vikings 6226 yards, 387 points = 16.09

D:Vikings 5894 yards, 395 points = 14.92*

*includes week 17

Translation: Neither are great offensively. Both are terrible on defense. The edge is split.

----------

Ints-Ints Thrown

----------

Packers 7-19 = -12

Vikings 10-12 = -2

The Packers have the second-worst ratio of all playoff teams in this category (Rams).

Since these are division rivals, let's also look at that.

Packers swept the season series 2-0 both, 34-31 wins.

Packers are 7-3 in the last 10 games.

The interception ratio makes me nervous, but I respect the recent dominance in the rivalry by the Packers.

Pick: Packers

Gameplan for the VIkings to win is easy: Get better kick coverage. Jose Cortez seems to have good depth on his kickoffs, but the opposing teams are always running it back to the 30/35. If they can fix that, they can walk out of Lambeau with a win.

Gameplan for the VIkings to win is easy: Get better kick coverage. Jose Cortez seems to have good depth on his kickoffs, but the opposing teams are always running it back to the 30/35. If they can fix that, they can walk out of Lambeau with a win.
In week 16, the Packers had fieldposition after Kick-offs at:Own 26

Own 27

Own 26

Opp 34

Own 30

Own 20

In week 16, the Packers had fieldposition after Punts at:

Own 20

Own 11

Own 1

Own 13

So there was only one Return better than own 30! (In week 6 they had 6! - seemed the Vikings had worked on it)

I've confidence in a Packers win, but what scares me most, is the big play ability of the Vikings. In week 16 the had two 1-play-TD-drives. Back in week 10 they had two 5-play-TD-Drives.

I think it will be close:

Packers: 34

Vikings: 31 (dejavu)

:popcorn:

(Drei Mal ist Bretts [bremer] Recht!)

I say the Pack roll in this one for two reasons...1) Lambeau Field2) Momentum -- When's the last time you saw a team so collectively bewildered after the MAKE the playoffs? Tice's press conferences have been like eulogies, he's spent half the week defending his star player from something with no defense, it's a joke.

2) Momentum -- When's the last time you saw a team so collectively bewildered after the MAKE the playoffs? Tice's press conferences have been like eulogies, he's spent half the week defending his star player from something with no defense, it's a joke.
1987 - Minnesota Vikings, with a stud WR Anthony Carter, who just took over and they made it to the NFC Championship game.(ok maybe I'm dreaming, but it has happened)Plus, my third son was born this year and when the other two were born the Vikings made the NFC Championship game that year - so they HAVE to make it that far when my child is born, it's tradition!!

:D too bad the hottest team in the nfc didnt make it to the playffs. THE SAINTS.
Yeah, but us Viking fans have to give thanks to those Saints for helping our team back into the playoffs. :excited:

Going with Minn here. Why? I don't know really I guess I'm just crazy. I think the Moss scandle will help motivate this team and get them playing better for some strange reason.

Anyone think there's a chance GB will be looking past the Vikes? If I were a packer I'd be drooling at this week's matchup and already thinking about next week. Although, if memery serves correctly I don't recall GB being one of those teams that falls into the trap of an easy first round playoff game and looking beyond. :horns:

Packers too tough in this one. Pack 2nd best in NFC behind Philly(with Owens). Now, I think Pack has a chance to go to the Dance!Pack 38Vikes 28

Viking fan here so of course I hope the Vikes win. But the real comment I want to make here is that I believe the winner of this game will go to the Super Bowl. The NFC field is just that weak this year.Now ask me if either of these teams can hold their own against Pittsburgh, New England, Indianapolis, or San Diego.

Viking fan here so of course I hope the Vikes win. But the real comment I want to make here is that I believe the winner of this game will go to the Super Bowl. The NFC field is just that weak this year.Now ask me if either of these teams can hold their own against Pittsburgh, New England, Indianapolis, or San Diego.
If you look at my post in this thread you will see we are in agreement, but also the minority. :D

Anyone think there's a chance GB will be looking past the Vikes?
Not even remotely possible. The Vikings are the Packers' main rival in the NFC North. No other team (not even the Bears) comes close. These two teams dislike one another quite a bit. Plus, each of the last three games between these teams has been decided by 3 points, so it's pretty obvious to everyone there isn't a lot of separation between these two teams. Bottom line: Packers aren't good enough to look past anyone, but if there was one team in the NFL they would never look past, it would be Minnesota.

Anyone think there's a chance GB will be looking past the Vikes?
Not even remotely possible. The Vikings are the Packers' main rival in the NFC North. No other team (not even the Bears) comes close. These two teams dislike one another quite a bit. Plus, each of the last three games between these teams has been decided by 3 points, so it's pretty obvious to everyone there isn't a lot of separation between these two teams. Bottom line: Packers aren't good enough to look past anyone, but if there was one team in the NFL they would never look past, it would be Minnesota.
Very well put. (Although I can't believe I am complimenting a Packer fan!! :X With these two teams, records don't matter and they will never look past each other.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again...... This game scares the living crap out of me. :unsure:
Me too...our secondary is absolutely horrendous. I like Carroll, but he is still pretty raw and Harris is just worthless! Only guy in our secondary worth a damn is Sharper!

My blade was dull tonight in the Jets VS Chargers game.I'll spend the night ensuring that does not happen again.Fear THE REAPER

Me too...our secondary is absolutely horrendous. I like Carroll, but he is still pretty raw and Harris is just worthless! Only guy in our secondary worth a damn is Sharper!
You're kidding right?The handful of big plays Sharper has made can't mask the fact he's had a bad season. He's often out of position; he takes bad angles to the ball and he often looks like the slowest 29-year-old defensive back on the planet. The jury's still out on Carroll. The physical skills are there, but he really needs to put in the work in the off-season. Harris is the only guy in the secondary who's had a decent year. He is going to struggle at times because he lacks topline speed, but he's physical and he's done well against many of the top WRs he's faced. I thought he played very well against Moss in the last game. The TD Moss caught came when Harris slipped in the end zone.Having said all that, I don't think Harris is good enough to shut down Moss completely if Moss is 100 percent and/or properly motivated. No CB in the NFL could do that. But hopefully Harris can get physical with him today and at least keep him off balance as often as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread