What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moats to Start per Schefter (1 Viewer)

KingEl

Footballguy
Didn't see any threads on this, but this just popped up on cbs website....

"Texans coach Gary Kubiak has annouced that Ryan Moats will start at running back against the Colts for the Texans on Sunday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. He will share carries with Steve Slaton. "

I think Moats is a good start with Indy banged up....

Ryan Moats, RB, Houston TexansSaturday 11/7, 3:40 PM CT Texans coach Gary Kubiak has annouced that Ryan Moats will start at running back against the Colts for the Texans on Sunday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. He will share carries with Steve Slaton.

Our View: We shall see about the "share" part. Moats shredded the Bills to the tune of 126 yards and three touchdowns last week, while Slaton has yet to go for more than 67 yards in a game this season. With tomorrow being perhaps the most important game in Texans history, it would not be surprising at all to see Kubiak go exclusively with Moats if he looks anything like he did last week.

Still could be a motivational aspect for Slaton, but I might have to look elsewhere for a flex option this week. *sigh*

I picked up Moats and will start him with confidence tomorrow! Yes, it's a risk, but I think Moats gets around 12-15 carries for 70-80/1 score. That said, Slaton will get his in the passing game...

So happy I traded Slaton/Driver for Wayne/RBush. I took a beat down after I did it between week 7 and 8. No one yapping at me now.

Still could be a motivational aspect for Slaton, but I might have to look elsewhere for a flex option this week. *sigh*
I see him as a Reggie Bush type RB/slot receiver with Daniels out. They both could be good in PPR leagues.

Okay, for those of us on the fence with Moats, let's talk--I'm 50/50 with Moats and Jon Stewart, but probably going to with Stewart..anyone else care to share?

Okay, for those of us on the fence with Moats, let's talk--I'm 50/50 with Moats and Jon Stewart, but probably going to with Stewart..anyone else care to share?
I can choose two from Moats, Slaton, boldin, felix, cadillac, manningham, maroney & wells. Of the 28 possible combos, I've narrowed it down to:Moats & SlatonMoats & BoldinMoats & FelixI think if Moats looks strong early and Houston gets ahead (or even keeps pace) we won't see enough of Slaton to make him a decent start. But I'm worried that if Houston falls behind two scores Slaton might get the nod to help out in the passing game.

Keith1 said:
HellToupee said:
Tree Shaker said:
you're whistling past the graveyard
Slaton is not going to disappear from the offense. Especially with Daniels gone. AT WORST, he becomes the 3rd down/passing back.
:wall: Didn't catch last week's game did you?

Keith1 said:
HellToupee said:
Tree Shaker said:
you're whistling past the graveyard
Slaton is not going to disappear from the offense. Especially with Daniels gone. AT WORST, he becomes the 3rd down/passing back.
:wall: Didn't catch last week's game did you?
That's a good point, but I would say that was last week. He's still on the roster, and last week appeared to be a message to Slaton that he has to protect the ball or he'll lose playing time. It was strongly indicated in how he didn't touch the ball again all game, but I don't see them just giving up on him. FWIW, I am starting Moats (over Buckhalter) but I am not expecting a great game like last week. Slaton will get some touches today, probably as 3rd down back, maybe get a few drives himself, I expect. If he screws up again he'll stay in the dog house. If he does his job right he'll be closer to starting again, depending on how Moats plays.

That's a good point, but I would say that was last week. He's still on the roster, and last week appeared to be a message to Slaton that he has to protect the ball or he'll lose playing time.
This has been the progression this season:He fumbled. The coach left him in.

He fumbled again. The coach took him out for a little bit.

He fumbled again. The coach sat him even longer.

He fumbled again. He didn't play the rest of the game and is no longer starting.

This is not a message. It is a coach playing the guys he can depend on.

This will work excellently if the Texans can talk Goodell into scheduling Buffalo as their opponet every week.

As is, it'll work until the first time there's a crease that Slaton would have taken to the house and Moats get tripped up after a four-yard gain.

Own Slaton, but not starting him. Have better options. But in PPR he will probably outscore Moats today. HOU defense is better than last year, but it's not going to slow Indy. Indy has a MASH unit for a secondary, so they probably can't slow AJ and company. This could be a shootout and Slaton could catch a bunch of passes out of the backfield.

Own Slaton, but not starting him. Have better options. But in PPR he will probably outscore Moats today. HOU defense is better than last year, but it's not going to slow Indy. Indy has a MASH unit for a secondary, so they probably can't slow AJ and company. This could be a shootout and Slaton could catch a bunch of passes out of the backfield.
Houston and Indy have been in their share of shootouts in recent years, but historically Indy has come out on top (though they needed some help from one Sage Rosenfels last year). The ONLY time in the history of the franchise that Houston has been able to beat Indy was in 2006, and they did so on 32 carries for 150+ yards and 2 TDs by Ron Dayne. Slaton went for 93 yards/2TDs and 156 yards/1 TD in two games last year. Interestingly, he only caught 1 pass for 3 yards and also fumbled once.Going with Moats and not looking back.

i know Slaton has more Burst than Moats but other than that i don't get why he will used so much more than Moats in the passing game. Moats was drafted fairly high b/c of his versatility by the eagles as the first heir apparent to Westy..........so he definitely can catch the football and make things happen. Slaton is no better a pass blocker so i don't see how he will be used so much more in the passing game

I've heard the Reggie Bush comparisons now for Slaton. who in the hell wants another Reggie Bush? Saints have the best offense in the League and Reggie is on the field the least of their 3RB's

Slaton/Moats owner here and I'd say you'd have to be pretty desperate to be playing Slaton at this point. Even if he's going to get mixed in as a 3rd down back or split out in 4 receiver sets. However he touches the ball, if he even so much as bobbles it whatsoever, he's going to ride the pine for the rest of the game. WAY way too big of a game from the Texans standpoint to risk a turnover.

I don't care if he was my #1 pick, that's a chance that I'm not willing to take. Now it just comes down to whether I'd play Moats or Collie in a flex spot. I tend to lean towards RBs though.

i'm guessing slaton plays a ton less than people think. why would kubiak bother naming moats the starter and risk further damaging slaton's confidence if he was planning on rotating them anywhere near 50/50? if moats starts off good, i don't see why slaton would see the field today (like last week).

a change has been made, folks. it's moats' job to lose for now.

FGITLOTR said:
On the fence with him and Jamaal Charles. I amd going Charles though because Indy could get out to a big lead and the Texans shut moats down and go in pass/catch up mode.

FGITLOTR said:
My choice is either Moats or Kevin Smith. I was going with Smith but the more I think about Smith's shoulder I am leaning on going with my new waiver pick up. The only bad thing is usually when I pick up someone on waivers they cost me points if I start them. Going to roll the dice with Moats I do think.

Last edited by a moderator:
FGITLOTR said:
My chpice is either Moats or Kevin Smith. I was going with Smith but the more I think about Smith's shoulder I am leaning on going with my new waiver pick up. The only bad thing is usually when I pick up someone on waivers they cost me points if I start them. Going to roll the dice with Moats I do think.
In same boat, but add Maroney to the situation. I still have Maroney penciled in because he's not struggling with injuries (Smith) or in a still-uncertain carry share scenario (Moats). Something just seems too fishy about the Slaton-Moats situation to me. Slaton has fumbled a lot but hasn't cost the surging Texans a victory yet (remember: it's Chris Brown who fumbled away the winning score vs. Jax a few weeks ago that would have put them at 6-2, not Slaton). And with the Colts knowing they have to prepare for Moats' skill set, whose to say Kubiak's not going to swap him out after one series or even one play just to confuse the Colts' gameplans?As painful as it will be to watch Moats go off while on my bench, I can't risk falling for the latest waiver wire flavor of the week in a must win situation for my fantasy team.

I feel better if someone else was reporting besides ESPN's Adam Schefter. Has he got anything right since he left the NFL network?

I feel better if someone else was reporting besides ESPN's Adam Schefter. Has he got anything right since he left the NFL network?
NFL.com's Jason La Canfora reports that Ryan Moats will be getting the football "much more" on early downs moving forward.La Canfora confirms a previous report that Moats will start at the Colts, and it looks like he'll dominate first- and second-down situations. Steve Slaton will continue to be involved in the committee, but as mostly a passing-down back. Moats currently has the most fantasy value in Houston's backfield.Source: NFL.com

The Houston newspapers are reporting this too. There are a couple of articles, yesterday and today, saying Moats has been named starter.

Sunday NFL Countdown on ESPN ... Kubiak told Bob Holtzman that Moats will start and they will split carries right down the middle however if someone gets hot they could see more carries.

Sunday NFL Countdown on ESPN ... They just said Kubiak said that Moats will start and they will split carries right down the middle.
IOW Kubiak's saying, "Show me, Steve."I'd imagine the better man today gets the bulk of the carries from here on in.

Sunday NFL Countdown on ESPN ... They just said Kubiak said that Moats will start and they will split carries right down the middle.
IOW Kubiak's saying, "Show me, Steve."I'd imagine the better man today gets the bulk of the carries from here on in.
Yes I just edited my post ... He did say that if someone gets hot they could get more carries.

I picked up Moats off waivers this week, then traded Gonzo for Slaton & Olsen this morning.

Why?

I'm not 100% sold on Moats just yet. The Bills rush defense is a trainwreck, and I think his performance last week is more a product of a piss poor Bills defense than an emerging stud RB.

Kubiak has sent Slaton a stern message, I think he'll get it and end up surprising this week. On top of that, I expect Houston to have to pass to keep up with Indy, and Slaton is a bigger threat in the passing game.

Maybe I'm stupid, but I'm rolling the dice and starting Slaton over not only Moats, but also Portis and Moreno this week. Just a hunch, I'll possibly regret it, but that's what makes this game interesting.

i'm guessing slaton plays a ton less than people think. why would kubiak bother naming moats the starter and risk further damaging slaton's confidence if he was planning on rotating them anywhere near 50/50? if moats starts off good, i don't see why slaton would see the field today (like last week). a change has been made, folks. it's moats' job to lose for now.
This team throws a lot of underneath passes to the RB and the TE. The TE is gone. Moats has a grand total of 9 receptions in his entire career. So who's going to catch those passes? And of course a team can't bring him in only to catch passes as it will telegraph to the D what is happening so he will have to have some carries as well. I've got Slaton in a PPR and am hoping for a little Reggie Bush scoring from the last couple of years as I plug him in as a flex this week...

Users who are viewing this thread