What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Molecules of US freedom (2 Viewers)

I'm just an idea guy, so I don't know exactly how to carry this out, but if Democrats want to get serious about matters I think they need to come up with a plan to colonize red states.  Build out a robust internet service in select towns and attract hordes of technology workers who can work remotely; and maybe target Wyoming and Montana because of their small populations.  Or maybe build a city from the ground up and call it Portlandia just to get the surrounding constituencies worked up.

Beer#2!!
Trumps margin of victory (in terms of votes) was roughly the same in WY as it was in FL - roughly 120k.

You would have an easier time getting 120k libs to move to Florida than Wyoming, they wouldn't be detected, and much bigger bang for the buck.

Put New Portlandia in Dade County and you're on to something!

Beer #3?

Trumps margin of victory (in terms of votes) was roughly the same in WY as it was in FL - roughly 120k.

You would have an easier time getting 120k libs to move to Florida than Wyoming, they wouldn't be detected, and much bigger bang for the buck.

Beer #3?
I did actually look at the vote tallies (not Florida's), and I factored in the curb appeal, which is why I omitted the Dakotas.  But you are correct, and a better approach would be to focus on swing states with narrow margins, and better climate.

Beer#3, on it!

roadkill1292 said:
If we're not going to abolish the US Senate, the states should look something like this.

But we should be trying to talk the Xs, the Millennials, the Zs and the Alphas into ditching the Senate. States are anachronisms.
I could see something like this happening.  But more along political lines. I feel America is dead man walking as currently constructed. To many cultural differences and they will continue to grow apart.  I said before America needs a divorce.  

I could see something like this happening.  But more along political lines. I feel America is dead man walking as currently constructed. To many cultural differences and they will continue to grow apart.  I said before America needs a divorce.  
Let's keep pounding that rock.

Just curious why?
The Senate was a necessary compromise needed to bring smaller states into the republic. We're now a huge nation with national issues instead of local or regional ones, though a modern and intelligent country should be able to recognize and accommodate regional differences and needs. But the nation's highest legislative body having a majority of representatives from states comprising 30% of the nation's population is not a formula for success.

Didn't in the primary or general last time and won't next year either.  He is detestable to me.
Make a list of the two dozen or so Democratic candidates in order of your preference. How far down the list would the final candidate have to be before you would vote for Trump instead?

Disclaimer, if there are 23 candidates on the list, my answer is "24."

The Senate was a necessary compromise needed to bring smaller states into the republic. We're now a huge nation with national issues instead of local or regional ones, though a modern and intelligent country should be able to recognize and accommodate regional differences and needs. But the nation's highest legislative body having a majority of representatives from states comprising 30% of the nation's population is not a formula for success.
If we abolish the Senate, does that mean we only use the House?

I'd rather see a second House filled by lottery (sortition). If we had 13 evenly sized states like the idea I linked to, though, I'd be ok with that.

Why won't the board let me quote you directly? Have I fouled up a setting somewhere?

I'd rather see a second House filled by lottery (sortition). If we had 13 evenly sized states like the idea I linked to, though, I'd be ok with that.

Why won't the board let me quote you directly? Have I fouled up a setting somewhere?
No, it's me. I have this program on my browser that occasionally causes my posts to be fouled up. Sortition would be interesting. How large would you envision it? 50 or equal to the House? In between? I don't see us ever eliminating states for regions but perhaps incorporate states into regions like we see in college: Big 10, Pac 12, etc. to get them more balanced in terms of the population makes sense. I just don't see how we do it legally because the smaller States have no incentive to play ball on this. 

I would like to see the Sortition House about the same size as the Traditionally Elected House and representative in its population makeup (incidentally, I'm a "Wyoming Rule doubled" guy for the size of the House) but if it remained two per state I could deal with it. The fact that they're not elected, unlikely to be chosen for additional terms and not beholden to any monied interests (at least during their campaigns) makes them the best bet to do what the Senate was expected to do in the first place -- be the deliberative body most concerned with the larger interests of the nation as a whole.

I'm just an idea guy, so I don't know exactly how to carry this out, but if Democrats want to get serious about matters I think they need to come up with a plan to colonize red states.  Build out a robust internet service in select towns and attract hordes of technology workers who can work remotely; and maybe target Wyoming and Montana because of their small populations.  Or maybe build a city from the ground up and call it Portlandia just to get the surrounding constituencies worked up.

Beer#2!!
You are on to something. Maybe the Dems can attract the young liberal voters by offering them 100 free molecules of freedom if they move. Who would pass that up? 

Beer #3?
Even better might be to just grow existing cities like Cleveland, Philly or Pittsburgh. If the Democrats could take control over Pennsylvania or Ohio, it would be a wrap. 

Even better might be to just grow existing cities like Cleveland, Philly or Pittsburgh. If the Democrats could take control over Pennsylvania or Ohio, it would be a wrap. 
Increased globalization led to the decline in those cities.  Trump is living up to his promises of instituting protectionism to combat that.  Not sure it will ever truly revive the rust belt, but those states voted for Trump to do exactly what he is doing on trade agreements.  If those areas revive, you know he will take all of the credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Increased globalization led to the decline in those cities.  Trump is living up to his promises of instituting protectionism to combat that.  Not sure it will ever truly revive the rust belt, but those states voted for Trump to do exactly what he is doing on trade agreements.  If those areas revive, you know he will take all of the credit.
It was globalization but I still think the bigger issue now is machines. American manufacturing output has been at record levels during Obama and Trump. We just don't need nearly as many people as we used to make things and the numbers of people required is shrinking. China already has ports that are entirely humanless. Machines unload the boats, driverless trucks transport it, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread