What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

More then a Feeling What makes this song great. (3 Viewers)

I listened to a handful and hope to listen to more over the weekend.   Interesting how simple VH recordings were compared to Boston.   More Than a Feeling is brilliant but that doesn’t take away from what VH did.   If you have EVH on guitar, you don’t need to do much but let the master play.  
The DLR high scream confounds me. When you hear it isolated, it sounds like he’s screaming two notes in harmony. It’s nuts. 

The DLR high scream confounds me. When you hear it isolated, it sounds like he’s screaming two notes in harmony. It’s nuts. 
Dave had a cool voice that fit perfectly in the first VH.   His voice was shot pretty soon after Sammy replaced him but Dave deserves credit for that original VH sound.  Sammy had a better voice and was really good live but I will always prefer VH with Dave.

Dave had a cool voice that fit perfectly in the first VH.   His voice was shot pretty soon after Sammy replaced him but Dave deserves credit for that original VH sound.  Sammy had a better voice and was really good live but I will always prefer VH with Dave.
I remember David Lee Roth lining up the groupies backstage in a line, and going down the line pointing and saying:

”You”

”You”

”Not you”

”You”

”Not you”

”Not you”

”You”

I just think the songs and music were better on the early albums. How much the singers had to do with it I don't know.

I listened to a handful and hope to listen to more over the weekend.   Interesting how simple VH recordings were compared to Boston.   More Than a Feeling is brilliant but that doesn’t take away from what VH did.   If you have EVH on guitar, you don’t need to do much but let the master play.  
Not sure I agree there.  EVH's playing was insane, but VH wouldn't have been the force it was without good songs, and they wrote more catchy songs than you could throw a stick at.  Their vocal harmonies, which were often the hooks in their songs, were vital.

I just think the songs and music were better on the early albums. How much the singers had to do with it I don't know.

Not sure I agree there.  EVH's playing was insane, but VH wouldn't have been the force it was without good songs, and they wrote more catchy songs than you could throw a stick at.  Their vocal harmonies, which were often the hooks in their songs, were vital.
Totally agree.  I prefer Dave VH over Sammy VH and the catchier songs have a lot to do with that.   Sammy puts on a heck of a show and kept his voice.  

As a musician, this is why I can’t listen to music when I’m working. If a song is on, of any genre, all I do is break down the parts and analyze the structure, instrumentation, lyrics, melody, rhythm...everything. It’s like my brain can’t focus on anything else than being overwhelmed by the awesome creativity that adds up the parts to become a great song. 
Same. The only thing I can really listen to is like ambient loop stuff, like Eno. Even then I still get distracted.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best is when Beato points out instruments you would never expect to hear in that song. He pointed out synth in Blink 182 and piano in Black. And of course, he always says, you will never not hear it and he is right

I like Beato. He thinks he is great though and that is a little bit of a turn off. When artists deny him the right to use the song, he pouts like a baby

Rick is pissed today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqvuEal2P2E

The revelation that Don Henley has a team of 50-60 people that spend 5-6 days a week doing nothing but having his and the Eagles music taken off of YT and stuff like that is hilarious. 

Ho. Ly. Cr@p.

I have heard this song so many times, appreciated its complex nuance that melded so many pieces into an incredible, but had my mind ripped away by how many nuances and unheard pieces this had, and how they truly fit  together in this genius arrangement.

First time I heard Beato (and will be diving into much more of his now), but it's also like the first time I really, truly heard this song.

I always had a huge appreciation for Boston -- Sholz as an artist with both instruments and the control board, Delp and his soaring powerful voice, and this firestorm of an album. It was a band you knew was overproduced in the studio but for all the right reasons and ways.

The Carry On Wayward Son episode is even better, in my opinion.  Each instrument line is just fantastic.  The interplay between the guitars and keyboards is crazy.  And the vocals!  People just don't sing like that anymore. 

I've been a Beato subscriber for a while.  I really like his channel and love learning something new every week from it.  I just watched his "Audiophile/Audio-fooled" episode though which had a lot of inaccuracies in it, for what it's worth.   

Ho. Ly. Cr@p.

I have heard this song so many times, appreciated its complex nuance that melded so many pieces into an incredible, but had my mind ripped away by how many nuances and unheard pieces this had, and how they truly fit  together in this genius arrangement.

First time I heard Beato (and will be diving into much more of his now), but it's also like the first time I really, truly heard this song.

I always had a huge appreciation for Boston -- Sholz as an artist with both instruments and the control board, Delp and his soaring powerful voice, and this firestorm of an album. It was a band you knew was overproduced in the studio but for all the right reasons and ways.
The accusations of the band being overproduced were always unfair anyway.  Who cares if a band does a little extra in the studio to make a song great that they couldn't do live?   If that is the standard, I guess we have to throw the latter half of the Beatles career away then.  To me, that was merely jughead critics finding an empty criticism to throw at a band they didn't like (just like they did with many other rock bands of the latter 70's).

The Carry On Wayward Son episode is even better, in my opinion.  Each instrument line is just fantastic.  The interplay between the guitars and keyboards is crazy.  And the vocals!  People just don't sing like that anymore. 

I've been a Beato subscriber for a while.  I really like his channel and love learning something new every week from it.  I just watched his "Audiophile/Audio-fooled" episode though which had a lot of inaccuracies in it, for what it's worth.   
The amazing thing (okay, one of the many amazing things) about Carry On Wayward Son is how almost everything in this song is a hook, from the vocal melodies to the guitar licks to the keyboard leads to the solos.  It's unfortunate that a great band like Kansas will likely only be remembered for two songs (this one and Dust in the Wind), but what songs they are!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread