What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moulds traded to Texans (1 Viewer)

Noahs Troopers

Footballguy
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2396697

Bills agree to trade Moulds to TexansBy John Clayton

ESPN.com

The Bills and Houston Texans have worked out their trade and informed Eric Moulds that he is going to the Texans.

The timing was perfect because Moulds was already in Houston. He reached an agreement on a four-year, $14 million contract that includes a $5 million signing. Terms of the trade weren't known but it is believed to a second day draft choice, either a fourth- or a fifth round in 2006.

Moulds decided last week that he preferred to go to Houston instead of the Philadelphia Eagles. He worked out a contractual agreement with the Texans and then awaited the trade.

"I knew Andre Johnson and always wanted to play with him," Moulds said Tuesday. "He's an up and coming receiver, and I felt like the team is on a rise. This is a chance to start new, and an opportunity to play close to home where I grew up."

Moulds has been with the Bills for 10 years. With a cap number over $10 million, Moulds declined to restructure his contract. Though the team wanted him to stay, Moulds decided it was time to move on.

"It's very tough because anytime you've been in a place for 10 years, you get set in your ways," Moulds said. "I have to learn a new city. I think being from the South makes it easier. I'm not going to be shocked by the weather, so it makes it an easy transition. It's still tough to leave Buffalo. I have a lot of fans there, but there comes a time when everyone has to move on."

The Texans wanted Moulds to be a veteran presence on their young offensive roster.

"Andre wanted me here, so I made my decision," Moulds said.

Texans passing offense is going to be totally revamped with a real WR2, an upgrade at receiving TE, and the likely addition of one of the best pass catching backs in recent memory. If they can cobble together a decent line, Carr could be a top 12 fantasy QB.

Too bad Mad Martz didn't go to Houston.. then again, I'm sure Gary Kubiak knows a thing or two about offense.

Hard to argue with this deal given the terms of both Moulds new deal and the draft choice Houston had to give up.

Carr could be a top 12 fantasy QB.
Or he could prove himself to be the bust that a lot of people are screaming he is.He has definitely regressed in his time in Houston(due in large part to bad coaching, OL and wrs), and hopefully Kubiak can coach him back up and put him in a situation to succeed.

Or he could prove himself to be the bust that a lot of people are screaming he is.He has definitely regressed in his time in Houston(due in large part to bad coaching, OL and wrs), and hopefully Kubiak can coach him back up and put him in a situation to succeed.
I think Plummer looked worse in Arizona than Carr has in Houston. If Kubiak is the variable that made Plummer the QB he is now, then Carr is in for good things. Everything I have read points to Carr being 100% dedicated to becoming Kubiak's pupil.

They are putting him in a better position to be successfull, thats for sure.

I think Plummer looked worse in Arizona than Carr has in Houston. If Kubiak is the variable that made Plummer the QB he is now, then Carr is in for good things. Everything I have read points to Carr being 100% dedicated to becoming Kubiak's pupil.
Carr showed signs of performing well in 2004 despite spending more time on his back than Paris Hilton. Last year the O-line could RUN block, but looked completely :own3d: on passing downs.2004 was an easier schedule than 2005, but the 2006 schedule will matter little unless Carr can get a chance to look downfield for more than 2 seconds a snap. Kubiak should strongly consider a shotgun option.

Sportsradio 610 in Houston confirms it's a 5th Rounder. Crazy steal for the Texans! :football: :thumbup:
That is nice. I had heard the Eagles were willing to part with their 4th, so I figured Buffalo would hold out for the Houston 4th. Maybe the eagles couldn't agree to terms with Moulds, or that report was erroneous.

The biggest sin that the previous coaching staff committed was not putting Carr in a place where the organization knows what they have. He is entering his 5th year as an uncontested starter. Expansion team or not that is a heck of a long time to be guessing @ the QB position.

I'm still not sold on Carr. Here's why:

1. Having uber-talented WR's do not necessarily a fantasy stud make (see Harrington, Josh/Garcia, Jeff/Warner, Kurt/McCown Josh).

2. Moulds didn't exactly vault JP Losman, Drew Bledsoe, or Rob Johnson into the upper-level tier of QB's.

3. In order to complete passes, you actually need time to pass the ball without a defender in your face.

Now, Moulds and A. Johnson should make a very nice 1-2 tandem, but I'm just not sold that Moulds will morph Carr into a super-stud QB. If Houston improves their O-Line somehow, I may have a different opinion.

1. Having uber-talented WR's do not necessarily a fantasy stud make (see Harrington, Josh/Garcia, Jeff/Warner, Kurt/McCown Josh).

2. Moulds didn't exactly vault JP Losman, Drew Bledsoe, or Rob Johnson into the upper-level tier of QB's.

3. In order to complete passes, you actually need time to pass the ball without a defender in your face.

Now, Moulds and A. Johnson should make a very nice 1-2 tandem, but I'm just not sold that Moulds will morph Carr into a super-stud QB. If Houston improves their O-Line somehow, I may have a different opinion.
it's not just Moulds.It's:

1) Gary Kubiak

2) Reggie Bush

3) Eric Moulds

4) Jeb Putzier

That's the biggest factor - the O-Line.Having a HC who was a QB / QB coach will help. Implementation of not just a 3-step drop (a band-aid for the second half of the season last year) but a shotgun formation with 3 viable WRs and a TE will help immensely.

Don't forget that Jeb Putzier is there now. Billy Miller was a big impact to the Texans before his departure.

As for the rest of the Offense, Dom Davis and Jon Wells were able to help in some blitz pickups - something I do NOT see coming from Mr. Bush.

1) Gary Kubiak

2) Reggie Bush

3) Eric Moulds

4) Jeb Putzier
Slow down will ya?

I'm still not sold on Carr.  Here's why:

Now, Moulds and A. Johnson should make a very nice 1-2 tandem, but I'm just not sold that Moulds will morph Carr into a super-stud QB.  If Houston improves their O-Line somehow, I may have a different opinion.

1) Gary Kubiak

2) Reggie Bush

3) Eric Moulds

4) Jeb Putzier
5) Mike Flannagan

And now I think the likelihood of the 2.1 pick being used on a tackle or guard who can start right away is even higher, so we will likely be adding that into the mix when evaluating Carr's prospects.

I also think a lot of people completely forget Carr was top 12 in passing yards the season before last, despite playing on a team with worse talent than 90% of the rest of the league.

He still has a lot he needs to improve in his game, but it isn't like he's completely failed to show that he has the potential to be a very good NFL QB. People really do underestimate how much the coaches lost the team last year with stunts like punting when your only realistic chance to win is to go for it on 4th and 3.

I'm still not sold on Carr.  Here's why:

Now, Moulds and A. Johnson should make a very nice 1-2 tandem, but I'm just not sold that Moulds will morph Carr into a super-stud QB.  If Houston improves their O-Line somehow, I may have a different opinion.

1) Gary Kubiak

2) Reggie Bush

3) Eric Moulds

4) Jeb Putzier
You forgot...5) Mike Sherman

6) Mike Flanagan

7) Jameel Cook

8) A rookie OL or two

It will all come down to one thing.. O-line.. look at the talent on OAK.. they couldn't find the time to throw and their offense was in shambles.. Carr may be running for his life with some great talent surrounding him unless they bring in some big guys to block...

Machiavelli

Ya I have to agree, the combo of Kubiak for Carr and Sherman for that Oline i think this upcoming year could be a huge improvement.

I think the fact that Kubiak's experience in Denver, which is known for putting together solid Linemen out of middle round draft picks, and Sherman's background as well will give Carr more time to hit his receivers.

I'm not too sold on the Defense though. I dont see the Texans putting up 40pts per game next year and with the current roster on D, they may need that many to win games.

The one thing this team needed was some veteran mentors on that offense and Moulds, although at the end of a career, will provide much more for AJ than another rookie WR. So even if Moulds goes in 2-3 years it will be worth it for the leadership and confidence builder for a young team.

I have been an Oiler fan since the late 70's and am happy to be able to buy a new #5 Texan Jersey for my wall :thumbup:

Although I think the Texan Unis are kinda crappy looking.

edit: charlie cassery is still with the texans :ph34r:

Last edited:
If all we got from the trade is a stinking 5th round draft pick I'll be so pissed at the Bills orgainization yet again. This is turning into a pattern of disappointments from the Bills organization and I'm getting tired of it.

Can we stop calling the Detroit Lions WRs uber-talented, please? They have not lived up to their early 1st round status. Please don't keep saying it is the QBs because when a guy named Scotty Vines outplays you, then you pretty much suck. Maybe they have potential, but to compare Detroit to Arizona's WRs isn't even close, they couldn't even carry Bryant Johnson's jock. ;) By the way, Warner and McCown combined for 304 fantasy points, which would have put them #3 ahead of Manning and Brady and only 14 points behind #1 Palmer, so yes having uber-talented WRs does a fantasy stud make.

By the way, just for fun again, when Moulds was Bledsoe's #1 target in 2002, Bledsoe was the #5 QB and that was Bledsoe's best fantasy year of his career, so yes Moulds did help vault Bledsoe into the upper level after Bledsoe's worst fantasy year ever.

It will all come down to one thing.. O-line.. look at the talent on OAK.. they couldn't find the time to throw and their offense was in shambles.. Carr may be running for his life with some great talent surrounding him unless they bring in some big guys to block...

Machiavelli
Offensive line.O-line.

Center.

Guards.

Tackles.

Offensive line.

It's great that their making these moves, but we know they have the icing. Will they have the cake?

Dear God it is the 1st sign of the Apocalypse......People are saying good things about the Texans?!?!?! And God help me I would actually pick up a Houston player in FF this year.....Wow.....

If all we got from the trade is a stinking 5th round draft pick I'll be so pissed at the Bills orgainization yet again. This is turning into a pattern of disappointments from the Bills organization and I'm getting tired of it.
I dont really think it was the Bills fault. From all the articles I have read Moulds was jut looking for a change of scenery. Obviously if he wanted to stay in Buffalo he would have to rework his contract and probably realizing he has 3-4 years left in his carreer he might as well try something new since Buffalo wasnt going to change.Houston offered him a pretty solid deal so he will get paid for his last few years and his family will be able to attend the games since they live 6hrs outside houston. I think I read his Mom has only been to 5 games in Buffalo his entire career so he would love to be closer to his family for the next 3 years.

Wow this is a big time steal for the Texans, getting Moulds for a 4th or 5th round pick. Especially when you consider the SeaHawks gave the Vikes a 3rd round pick for Nate B :X , who isn't half the player Moulds is. I like the direction the Texans are going :thumbup:

First, who is Josh Harrington?Second, Joey Harrington did not have top notch WRs. He had very talented ones - but because of how young they were - they were still very raw.

Third, I actually think that with uber-talented WRs - Kurt Warner did pretty well. Compare his time with the Giants with what he did last year having Boldin and Fitzgerald.

Fourth, no one ever said that by getting Moulds, Carr would become a super-stud QB. In fact, what was said was that he "could be top 12." Last year the QB w/ the 12th most tds was Plummer who had 18. I think 18 tds is definitely feasible for Carr this year.

Users who are viewing this thread