What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MRSA breakout in Tampa - Eagles-Bucs game in jeopardy? (1 Viewer)

Johnthan Banks is the third Tampa Bay Buccaneers player this season to be diagnosed with MRSA, the NFL Network reported.

One day after the Bucs announced that guard Carl Nicks was diagnosed with a recurrence of the staph infection in his foot, the team held a news conference but wouldn't confirm Banks as the latest player to contract the infection.

Bucs general manager Mark Dominik addressed the media, along with Dr. Deverick Anderson, co-director of the Duke Infection Control Outreach Network.

who is the third player? Nicks, Tynes and...

nevermind. There's the answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking about it on radio. sounds like cancellation isn't out of the question. According to PFT, the other guy might be Mike Williams as he is listed on the injury report.

ETA: looks like I was reading an older article-sounds like its been updated and Banks is most likely the third player.

Texans/Someone I can't remember was moved in 05 I think, due to impending Hurricane.

And yeah, you (and I) are basically all just #### out of luck if they do postpone it in terms of our Bucs & Eagles.

It'd be like a bye week. I forget the teams, but games have been moved before.
Yeah that makes sense. Definitely a situation to monitor for fantasy purposes.
Tampa just had their bye.

Nobody is using Everbank Field this weekend. Watching TWO NFL teams would be a refreshing break.
What purpose would changing the venue serve? Its the players they're concerned with, not the venue

Nobody is using Everbank Field this weekend. Watching TWO NFL teams would be a refreshing break.
What purpose would changing the venue serve? Its the players they're concerned with, not the venue
The bucs venue might be contaminated

Because they think they are getting MRSA at the venue?

Yes... MRSA weasels into things like wrestling mats and hot tubs and other stuff that's in contact with sweaty, injured human bodies. So switching the venues might be an option.

If I'm an Eagle I'm not happy about it though.

This is likely nothing to do with the facility. The MRSA was treated for Nicks and Tynes back at the start of the season. The thing about MRSA is you can treat it, pass all the tests, and it could still be in remission. The most likely reason it came back was Carl Nicks never really got over it. Reports on the local radio are saying it could be career ending for Carl Nicks if it's in his bones.

This is likely nothing to do with the facility. The MRSA was treated for Nicks and Tynes back at the start of the season. The thing about MRSA is you can treat it, pass all the tests, and it could still be in remission. The most likely reason it came back was Carl Nicks never really got over it. Reports on the local radio are saying it could be career ending for Carl Nicks if it's in his bones.
WTF. This makes me feel itchy.

My best wishes to him. This isn't a joking matter.

Listening to Jay Glazer on WFAN NY right now. He basically saying not a chance this game will get postponed.

They supposedly decontaminated the entire facility after Nicks/Tynes diagnosis earlier this season. Postponing now would be an indictment of the facility as a whole and then what . . . ? They don't play anymore games there this year? Decontaminate again and say it's all good? IDK, I don't see how they can cancel / postpone without it becoming a publicity nightmare for every remaining game there.

Oh please. MRSA scares are silly. If you're a healthy individual with no open wounds there's nothing to fear.

Nothing to see here.

So does Nicks sue the Bucs should his career be over?

I think the NFLPA goes after the Bucs hard on this one.

While looking MRSA up in Wikipedia, someone slipped this in:

"MRSA is especially troublesome in hospitals, prisons, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers locker room, and nursing homes, where patients with open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems are at greater risk of infection than the general public."

Tampa Bay locker room..Doh

Oh please. MRSA scares are silly. If you're a healthy individual with no open wounds there's nothing to fear.

Nothing to see here.
tell that to JJ Watts face from 2 weeks ago, maybe they will be less willing to tackle doug martin and he can get more than 2 ypc

Nothing to see here.
tell that to JJ Watts face from 2 weeks ago, maybe they will be less willing to tackle doug martin and he can get more than 2 ypc
I was just thinking that.

As if NFL players were immune from having ANY open wounds. One game day.

Latest reports are saying zombies have been found wandering around the Bucs facilities. But they were quickly refuted once it was discovered it was the Bucs OL doing run blocking drills...

Nothing to see here.
pretty sure you can get it from skin to skin contact ... so if one of the Bucs has it but it hasn't surfaced yet he could pass it to another player Eagle or Buccaneer

Users who are viewing this thread