What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Must Suck to be in the EST time zone (1 Viewer)

LHUCKS

Footballguy
You have to wait until 5 P.M. to watch football. Surprising that this start time is the most economically advantageous for the NFL and the networks.

actually i think it is perfect. you get all day to get stuff done/hang out with family and then you get a great late afternoon/evening with the games.

You don't even have the time correct. :rolleyes:I have no problem with the time in the central time zone nor if I was in the eastern time zone. Let's see...I get to watch football & drink beer this afternoon and then play poker tonight while watching the Patriot/Denver game and drinking more beer. Yeah, that sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sucks for MNF, but it's great to not have to be up and at the bar to watch the 10 AM games on Sundays when you partied until 5-6 AM on Saturday night

It sucks for MNF, but it's great to not have to be up and at the bar to watch the 10 AM games on Sundays when you partied until 5-6 AM on Saturday night
10 am games must suck.

:goodposting: Plusses and minuses for both.

There's nothing better than being in Hawaii watching football at 7am.Toss the coffee cup to the side and grab a cold brew. :suds:

actually i think it is perfect. you get all day to get stuff done/hang out with family and then you get a great late afternoon/evening with the games.
There's nothing better than being in Hawaii watching football at 7am.

Toss the coffee cup to the side and grab a cold brew. :suds:
These are both correct answers. HI: regular season games, get out of bed, eat and turn on the game.

As for todays games on the east coast: I can go out and get some things done outside, then just as it's getting dark, come in and watch the game. :thumbup:

:goodposting:

Surprising that this start time is the most economically advantageous for the NFL and the networks.
Clearly the networks have examined this issue extensively. Despite the pros and cons listed above, it's clear that the largest viewership, and thus total sponsor revenues, is during late afternoon/primetime (Eastern and Central time zones)

10 am games must suck.
No way. Lived on West coast, East coast, and central time zone and the 10am start is my favorite. I wake up between 8-9 no matter what, just can't sleep in any more than that. I have nothing to do Sunday mornings but wait for football to start so I'd rather wait only to 10 than noon or 1. Plus, football gets over at a decent time and I can get some these done afterward, I couldn't say that in the other timezones.

Surprising that this start time is the most economically advantageous for the NFL and the networks.
Clearly the networks have examined this issue extensively. Despite the pros and cons listed above, it's clear that the largest viewership, and thus total sponsor revenues, is during late afternoon/primetime (Eastern and Central time zones)
why are the majority of games played in the mornings during the regular season? I guess it could have something to do with the economics of persons attending the games?

nothing better then rolling out of bed, grabbing some breakfast with a screwdriver or bloody mary and watching the 10am games... love the WEST SIDE!

Many times I got up at 6am to watch pregame, still drunk from the night before.

why are the majority of games played in the mornings during the regular season? I guess it could have something to do with the economics of persons attending the games?
The post season is a much different schedule because of fewer games. The regular season schedule works great for the NFL. They get two shifts of games and then get the lone Sunday Night game.As far as economics, all you have to do is look at the times for the Conference Championships next week to understand. 3:00 pm and 6:30 pm EST.

As mentioned, it's only morning in the Pacific/Mountain time zones.

I grew up in NY for 28 years. Been living in CA for the last 10 years.I much prefer the CA 10am start to games. Gets football started right awayand leaves less daylight time for the wife to try to give me a list of choresto do on Sunday.

I remember when the Super Bowl was played at 1:00 p.m. ET. I prefer games during the day over prime time, especially on Saturday, because that's the night the wife and I go out.

Not only that, but be on your computer by 830 or 9 for all the GTD BS that comes with fantasy. 1pm is just fine with me.

The MRS and I have had 2 weeklong vacations in December in Hawaii. I loved waking up at 6:30am and flipping on Sunday Countdown!

I'm on Central European time so the game doesn't start until 10:00. Usually I like this because I can do whatever I like all day and then watch the games before I go to bed. But today is the playoffs and the Seahawks (my squad) play at 10:00 then the Pats/Broncos don't begin until 2:00 am. I'm taping that and watching in the morning. Yuk.

West coast times are definitely better. On Sundays, you can watch games at 10:00, 1:30 and 5:30. With only Primetime in between the 1:30 and 5:30, it's basically football the entire day. You can even sleep in until 9, get breakfast, read the paper and be ready for the 10:00 games. :D Monday Night Footballl must be miserable in the east, having to stay up until past midnight, then getting up early to work four more days that week. :no:

10 am games must suck.
seriously...for people who like to go out until 4 or 5 am on Saturday night, I have no idea how you could ever be alert for 10am football.

10 am games must suck.
seriously...for people who like to go out until 4 or 5 am on Saturday night, I have no idea how you could ever be alert for 10am football.
Especially when you'd have to wake up at 9am to find out if your fantasy players are playing...

West coast times are definitely better. On Sundays, you can watch games at 10:00, 1:30 and 5:30. With only Primetime in between the 1:30 and 5:30, it's basically football the entire day. You can even sleep in until 9, get breakfast, read the paper and be ready for the 10:00 games. :D

Monday Night Footballl must be miserable in the east, having to stay up until past midnight, then getting up early to work four more days that week. :no:
Sleep in until 9?????

I don't mind MNF at all. I can't remember the last time I was asleep by midnight.

nothing better then rolling out of bed, grabbing some breakfast with a screwdriver or bloody mary and watching the 10am games... love the WEST SIDE!
I would hate to have to be up by 10 to watch games, especially after being out until 5 or 6 on a Saturday night. :no:

West coast times are definitely better. On Sundays, you can watch games at 10:00, 1:30 and 5:30. With only Primetime in between the 1:30 and 5:30, it's basically football the entire day. You can even sleep in until 9, get breakfast, read the paper and be ready for the 10:00 games. :D

Monday Night Footballl must be miserable in the east, having to stay up until past midnight, then getting up early to work four more days that week. :no:
:lmao:

I don't mind MNF at all. I can't remember the last time I was asleep by midnight.
Not only that, but most of the games recently seem to be over by the 3rd quarter and do a good job of putting you to sleep. Unless you happen to have your defense going against Favre, then you have to stay up to see the very last pick in the final 10 seconds!

I couldn't get used to left coast football times. I always missed the 1st qtr of MNF being stuck in traffic. Sundays - 1st game while eating cereal and my body is not even awake enough to cheer. Oh, and all the Niner and Raider games they kept showing :thumbdown: Tennessee time zone is pretty much perfect for me.

I love any thread that starts with "sucks to be"... and ends with LHUCKSSeems about right to me. :P

West coast times are definitely better.  On Sundays, you can watch games at 10:00, 1:30 and 5:30.  With only Primetime in between the 1:30 and 5:30, it's basically football the entire day.  You can even sleep in until 9, get breakfast, read the paper and be ready for the 10:00 games.  :D

Monday Night Footballl must be miserable in the east, having to stay up until past midnight, then getting up early to work four more days that week.  :no:
Sleep in until 9?????
no kids, apparently

Boys, This is nothing! My bro is in the USAF and is in Turkey. They are 7 hours ahead. He has to watch the kickoff of tonight's game at 3AM!!!The Colts being on MNF this year has killed him as he gets up to watch the game at 4 and then has to go to work?!

I have said for years that there should be 2 MNF games each week! One with an early start time like 7PM EST and then the "West Coast" game which would start at 9EST.They are getting killed with the terrible games starting at 9EST. I am out by halftime!

Football on the East coast is timed perfect except for Monday Night Football. Of course, having MNF starting at 6:00 would suck too, because that's way too early when a lot of people are still on their way home or barely home from work.Get up Sunday morning around 9 or 10, lounge around a little bit until pre-game starts at 11:00. Enjoy a little breakfast or lunch while watching Countdown, mix in a little CBS and FOX, and catch all the late breaking news. By 1 o'clock, you're ready to roll. I mean, if you're on the West coast, you have to be up and paying attention to pre-game stuff by 9 AM just to catch the last second lineup changes, and I'm not ready to really enjoy football at 10 in the morning. Not to mention I enjoy the pre-game shows, and there's NO way I'd want to be up at 8 or 9 to watch them! Games run all day, and end just in time to go to bed. Not a bad deal at all, and I wouldn't want it any other way!

The NFL knows that 70% of the population of the US lives east of the Mississippi River, and schedules its games accordingly. 1:00 games are timed so that people who go to church can grab something to eat and get in front of the TV in time for the game. MNF would seem to be the exception to the rule, though IMO they guess that the majority of people watching don't have to be in to work until 9 AM and can miss a little bit of sleep. Those of us who start our workdays at 6 AM usually bow out at halftime.

I lived on the West coast growing up, and have been in the Eastern zone for 20 years. I like eastern way better. Sundays are my only guaranteed day off, so Saturday is the night when I usually have too much to drink. I can sleep till noon on Sunday, get up, have pregame on while I eat, shower, make a store run if need be, etc....10AM is just too early. Id never get up before the games started.

10 am games must suck.
Not as much as 3am games.
:o does aussie tv show american football or can you get a cable package that shows all games? do you have nfl network?

I've lived in Alaskan, Central, and Eastern.I like them in that order. It sucks that I can't finish watching the last games because they're on so late.

Great for adults, but try explaining to your kids that they have to go to bed after the first quarter because of the start time.

10 am games must suck.
Not as much as 3am games.
:o does aussie tv show american football or can you get a cable package that shows all games? do you have nfl network?
It's not on any of the regular commercial stations. You have to have cable, and unfortunately we have no NFL network and no package options to watch all the games. We get two FoxSports channels on cable, and one ESPN channel, so we generally wind up with four live games per week.

An early and late Sunday game on Fox, the Sunday night game on ESPN and then the monday night game on ESPN.

The Sunday and Monday night games are on at a decent time (11am), but most of us have to work/study, so the only "live" games I get to watch are the ones at 3am/6am. :rant:

Users who are viewing this thread