What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My impending Italian Ex-Pat adventure....2023-24 v2.02 (1 Viewer)

so, our 90 year old neighbor brought us 5 fresh eggs today. tomorrow i make a lemon olive oil cake and use the eggs. market is in orvieto centro 7a-1p. stopped at the orvieto coop supermarket today and shopped for taco stuff…..also had a $3 loaded porchetta sandwich. couldn’t find a hot pepper and couldn’t find cilantro. did find taco shells. found asiago and we shredded some ourselves. in place or missing items i ground some coriander and added some red pepper flakes to my pico. we made a 2nd run to our old place and have just a couple items left to move. oh, the prior owners were german and the oven is german and controls in german. thank god for that google translate camera thing. i used the diefledermaus setting for warming the shells.
American, living in Italy, making Mexican food on a German stove. :thumbup:
oy vey

getting settled in a bit and i am still discovering quirks and things. the place has many storage rooms, i haven’t even scratched the surface yet and there are a zillion keys. i hate hate the fridge and i think we need a new one. the hot water is more like very warm. i did find a stash of electrical cords and bulbs to last a generation. met with gardener yesterday who did all the original plantings. informed us what the maintenace is and that we have a cherry tree, fig, peach, walnut and almond. also, a couple of grape vines and some olive trees. found a day labour type of guy to mow and weed when we are not around, much cheaper than the gardener.

so, today i fired up the outdoor pizza oven building. it is old and a bit dirty right now to cook in, so i decided to at least start a fire and burn out whatever crap is leftover. the smoke coming out of the chimney is epic. it’s not quite a fire pit in my driveway, but it will have to do. found more electrical cords. also, found a stash of tools. if anyone reads german, room and board on me.

so, today i fired up the outdoor pizza oven building. it is old and a bit dirty right now to cook in, so i decided to at least start a fire and burn out whatever crap is leftover. the smoke coming out of the chimney is epic. it’s not quite a fire pit in my driveway, but it will have to do. found more electrical cords. also, found a stash of tools. if anyone reads german, room and board on me.
I have friends that live in Germany.

Lake?

wife just asked me, “are any of those football people around?”. i told her no one is in italy right now. she is not a social butterfly, but we do want to show off the property a bit.

also, the prior owner turned us onto an afrixican. the guy comes in the evening after his regular job or the weekends and weeds, mows, like light yard stuff at €13 an hour.

Last edited:
lol, i love whatsapp. trying to find toilet seats is like trying to split the atom here. there is a company i call What’s App Toilet, where you send them pictures of your toilet and they send you back the model of toilet seat needed.

We are back in Rome and, as predicted, didn't want to leave. I have been scheming things I could do here. Maybe when I start a phased retirement.

I am jealous.

Lake?

wife just asked me, “are any of those football people around?”. i told her no one is in italy right now. she is not a social butterfly, but we do want to show off the property a bit.

also, the prior owner turned us onto an afrixcan. the guy comes in the evening after his regular job or the weekends and weeds, mows, like light yard stuff at €13 an hour.
Scusa…Che cosa?

today was an interesting day. saturday i had a boiler guy come out because of our hot water issue. he said we needed a part and they would be back today. a different guy comes out and says we don’t need the part, the $.50 knobs on the front of the boiler that regulate the temperature of the water and radiators are broken. you spin them right for maximum temp, left for minimum. somehow both knobs just spin. dude today saved me at least €200 and i will make sure only he comes back for work. my water is now scalding. not sure why the prior owners didn’t realize this or care.

so, the big issue i will have here is that i am a sports fan obviously, but the time difference will make it pretty impossible to watch many games. 7pET games will be 1a here. i guess i can wait and watch replays the next day, but it’s not teh same. 1p and 4p football will work a bit.

so, the big issue i will have here is that i am a sports fan obviously, but the time difference will make it pretty impossible to watch many games. 7pET games will be 1a here. i guess i can wait and watch replays the next day, but it’s not teh same. 1p and 4p football will work a bit.
Give up on American sports and get into Serie A and other european football. Living in Europe is what cured me of the NFL disease.

Give up on American sports and get into Serie A and other european football. Living in Europe is what cured me of the NFL disease.
i’ve been watching juve pretty regularly, it helps break the ice when i talk to italians. everyone has a team here.

So, this adventure is coming to an end. we didn't sight see as much as you might think. This was more about learning our surroundings, figuring out the house, putting out fires and settling into daily life. plenty of wineries to see next time, including argillae, carduto, neri, monrubio, vitalonga and antinori. I do recommend decugnano dei barbi.

We have been discussing Next trip around 12/13-1/4. Anyone travelling at that time?

ask me anything.......

So, this adventure is coming to an end. we didn't sight see as much as you might think. This was more about learning our surroundings, figuring out the house, putting out fires and settling into daily life. plenty of wineries to see next time, including argillae, carduto, neri, monrubio, vitalonga and antinori. I do recommend decugnano dei barbi.

We have been discussing Next trip around 12/13-1/4. Anyone travelling at that time?

ask me anything.......
Let me see if I can get you a private tour at antinori. Get me some dates and dm me your slave name.

Do you know the folks there

ask me anything.......
Let me see if I can get you a private tour at antinori. Get me some dates and dm me your slave name.

Do you know the folks there? if so, press # for a special reward. It would be the antinori here;

Località Sala - 05016 Ficulle

ask me anything.......

Do you know the folks there? if so, press # for a special reward. It would be the antinori here;

I know/work with people in the wine biz. When the wife and I wen to Paris, we got some private tours set up through them.

ETA: this place

ask me anything.......

I know/work with people in the wine biz. When the wife and I wen to Paris, we got some private tours set up through them.

that’s them

ask me anything.......

that’s them
You’d want to visit the castello Della sala location obviously? Let me see what I can do. Just you and the wife?

ask me anything.......

that’s them
You’d want to visit the castello Della sala location obviously? Let me see what I can do. Just you and the wife?

2 people, december. where were you the last 3 weeks when i was in umbria????

ask me anything.......

that’s them

2 people, december. where were you the last 3 weeks when i was in umbria????
Working like a schlub. Also doing a complete remodel downstairs. Good times

some language tips;

a - ah
e - eh
i - ee
o - oh
u - oo

vowels are always pronounced and always sound the same.

h is silent. hotel is otel.

bruschetta - bruce ketta

ch is k

zz = ts think pizza

gn is like an n with a tilda

so, we discussed our next trip and centered on december-january for christmas, new years and orvieto winter jazz. i found a delta pricing anomaly……we like to fly first going and come back in comfort, maybe main. rt delta one 12/13-1/8 was less than returning on comfort or premium and only $200 more than returning in main. so we pulled the trigger.

so, we discussed our next trip and centered on december-january for christmas, new years and orvieto winter jazz. i found a delta pricing anomaly……we like to fly first going and come back in comfort, maybe main. rt delta one 12/13-1/8 was less than returning on comfort or premium and only $200 more than returning in main. so we pulled the trigger.
Let me know dates for the winter. Should be no problem.

Let me know dates for the winter. Should be no problem.
this would be most awesome. it will likely be the week of 12/18 due to the mass of christ. i will confirm as the months and years go by.

so, if anyone here is a cpa, shoot me a PM….

my wife’s path to an ICT visa seems to be developing and we have gotten some positive news. her original offer letter works as her “contract” for italian purposes. she has an italian entity that is legal and qualifies to sponsor her. but, her US company wants the italian entity to pay her. we can be ok with this, but the ramifications are funky. we have been told she would qualify for a 70% reduction of her income for italian tax purposes, which obviously would be huge. the thing we can’t figure out is the tax treaty between the countries and how this pertains to the US foreign earned income exemption. The US requires its citizens to file US income tax returns no matter where they live or where they earn income. 1 of only 2 countries that do this. to avoid double taxation, there is a tax treaty. but i keep reading that one can only exempt up to $112,000 in income in the US. so, if my wife earns more, do i have to pay taxes on that extra? our visa attorney says all her income is exempted due to the treaty, but i can’t find this anywhere and it’s something i’d like to know. heck, if anyone is a tax attorney, i’d take that advise too. but, getting closer to living in italy full time on a full wife ride, since i won’t have a job!!!

not related to your question as you don't want my advice, but i was curious as to how welcomed you were in the rural areas?

Heard some comments about Germany/etc, and i was curious how Italy was for ex-pats/foreigners.

not related to your question as you don't want my advice, but i was curious as to how welcomed you were in the rural areas?

Heard some comments about Germany/etc, and i was curious how Italy was for ex-pats/foreigners.
never ever been an issue. in fact, after we bought our new place, we had our neighbors over for some drinks and i specifically asked them how americans were perceived. they did not follow the americans are loud and obnoxious trend. generally speaking, the italians like the american income and way of life and are very accepting. it helps to try and speak the language, same as anywhere. we tend to spend money and they need that economically.

never ever been an issue. in fact, after we bought our new place, we had our neighbors over for some drinks and i specifically asked them how americans were perceived. they did not follow the americans are loud and obnoxious trend. generally speaking, the italians like the american income and way of life and are very accepting. it helps to try and speak the language, same as anywhere. we tend to spend money and they need that economically.
well, don't piss them off! I'm jealous and would love to do this when i retire.... in 20 years :(

The working tax scheme seems a no brainer to us here. So, you can't have previously been an Italian Tax Resident and you commit to being a tax resident for at least 2 years. If this is the case, our area allows a 70% INCOME TAX REDUCTION, not a SOCIAL SECURITY reduction. SS payroll withholdings are only about 10%, income taxes are significantly higher. Then i need to figure out the US Income exemption or Tax Credit for Foreign taxes paid, hence the need for a CPA. There are areas more southern that offer a 90% reduction since the population is dwindling so rapidly.

don’t be…….or i should say, i don’t want you to be. i am doing this as a way of sharing a story with many people that love the lifestyle. you can live vicariously through me. i heard a lot of english being spoken in orvieto proper today. i thought, damn americans…..lol. when we are here, we speak mostly italian. the local pizzaiolo told us we had a southern italian accent today. tomorrow is may 5 and i will try to make tacos at home. big question is: can i find shells/tortillas. i know i can make a pico and find meat. saturday in orvieto is market day, which starts at 7a. we will try to get up around 8a and head over for fresh stuff for maybe a chicken parm. i found a decent parking garage, near corso cavour, it is called parking via roma. you take a ticket and validate/pay before you leave, then insert at the exit, like an airport. tomorrow is cappuccino and croissants at home. nutella is likely on the menu. we ate dinner outside tonite and knocked down a bottle of franciacorta. the outdoor space is the big win, something we love and needed. my 90 yr old neighbor was ecstatic when we said he can keep the chicken coop. he uses a small space on our property for the birds and feed. we said keep going, we just want some eggs now and then. lucky we speak enough italian because in this area, there is no english.
35 days from hitting Orvieto for a week. Better start studying. :whistle:
looking for your update here….

was 95 today in orvieto. oof

don’t be…….or i should say, i don’t want you to be. i am doing this as a way of sharing a story with many people that love the lifestyle. you can live vicariously through me. i heard a lot of english being spoken in orvieto proper today. i thought, damn americans…..lol. when we are here, we speak mostly italian. the local pizzaiolo told us we had a southern italian accent today. tomorrow is may 5 and i will try to make tacos at home. big question is: can i find shells/tortillas. i know i can make a pico and find meat. saturday in orvieto is market day, which starts at 7a. we will try to get up around 8a and head over for fresh stuff for maybe a chicken parm. i found a decent parking garage, near corso cavour, it is called parking via roma. you take a ticket and validate/pay before you leave, then insert at the exit, like an airport. tomorrow is cappuccino and croissants at home. nutella is likely on the menu. we ate dinner outside tonite and knocked down a bottle of franciacorta. the outdoor space is the big win, something we love and needed. my 90 yr old neighbor was ecstatic when we said he can keep the chicken coop. he uses a small space on our property for the birds and feed. we said keep going, we just want some eggs now and then. lucky we speak enough italian because in this area, there is no english.

Orvieto was awesome. The view from our Villa: https://imgur.com/a/nkxkY7Q

In Florence right meow, leaving for Rome in the morning. Spend the last week in Bellagio. Don’t really need to go home.

Orvieto was awesome. The view from our Villa: https://imgur.com/a/nkxkY7Q

In Florence right meow, leaving for Rome in the morning. Spend the last week in Bellagio. Don’t really need to go home.
looks 5 mins from me…..awesome!

Hey chem

Any chance you shoot me some restaurant recommendations for Florence and rome. Family friends are going next month.

And if there’s something extra cool in Florence. Lay it on me.

thx

Hey chem

Any chance you shoot me some restaurant recommendations for Florence and rome. Family friends are going next month.

And if there’s something extra cool in Florence. Lay it on me.

thx
so, we love pizza gusta. i always enjoy baldovino, which is next to santa croce. we’ve also enjoyed ristorante academia. last time in florence we actually had a great lunch at the westin. i usually don’t recommend a hotel, but their 5th floor bar/restaurant has a lunch special. Business lunch proposal. Available from Monday to Friday from 12.00 pm to 2.30 pm. Chef proposal served with water, glass of wine from our cellar, choice of dessert and coffee or JING tea - € 40 per Person. The chef proposal means that they have about 6 lunches you can have…..i got the mixed seafood fry. the rooftop view on the arno is killer and €40 was a bargain.

In rome, i recommend my new favorite il piccolo vicolo, la fraschetta di castel sant’angelo, il giardino romano, la tavernetta 29 da tony e andrea. for lunch or light bites; pizzeria nerone, trappizino, filetto di baccalà and fonzie the burger’s house. fonzie is in the jewish ghetto and the burgers are kosher so no real cheese, but oy vey, they are shvitzy good!

remember, download the app called the fork and use it in italy for reservations, which are really required at this time…..sometimes the fork offers 20% food, not every restaurant…..i know piccolo vicolo had the 20%.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread