What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My impending Italian Ex-Pat adventure....2023-24 v2.02 (1 Viewer)

i think this works…..video of the property.

Very cool. I think that sunken range might drive me crazy though
so, this was something that "bothered" my wife in pictures. but, i am the cook and i explained the theory. i've read and heard of people sinking the "cooker" (european word) because when you put pots on the stove, you then have the ability to easily see into them. the counters are standard 36", the dip is 3". i kind of like it up close.

for reference and to know how the sellers cared about this property, they told me that when they bought it, 40 years ago, there was no kitchen. the lower floor that houses the kitchen was just a storage cavern, where the cows were kept by the farmers. the actual house was the top 2 floors and the kitchen was in the room that has the fireplace somehow. they remodeled the entire lower level into a kitchen, 1/2 bathroom and small laundry/storage area AND they blew out a corner of the ceiling and installed the internal wooden stairs that lead from the kitchen to the middle floor......amazing.

That ****ing kitchen is amazing! I would spend all my time there.
i posted this above........for reference and to know how the sellers cared about this property, they told me that when they bought it, 40 years ago, there was no kitchen. the lower floor that houses the kitchen was just a storage cavern, where the cows were kept by the farmers. the actual house was the top 2 floors and the kitchen was in the room that has the fireplace somehow. they remodeled the entire lower level into a kitchen, 1/2 bathroom and small laundry/storage area AND they blew out a corner of the ceiling and installed the internal wooden stairs that lead from the kitchen to the middle floor......amazing.

f'n sweet man - maybe you mentioned before ...but how much is it (and then the VAT)
so, i hate to talk price, but the ask was 350euros and we got it a bit better, plus we negotiated that they leave 95% of all furniture, fixtures and equipment. obviously, personal items go, like sheets, linens, pictures, etc. they held back a couple of items that they wanted extra for. i turned down most of them, but i bought a once used fontana gusto wood fired pizza/oven. the property has 5 external storage buildings that are filled with lawn equipment, etc.

f'n sweet man - maybe you mentioned before ...but how much is it (and then the VAT)
ooops, forgot to talk VAT. so, in italy, there is no VAT tax on real estate sales, only on the services provided therein. i.e. the broker fee is VAT taxed. my attorney's fee is VAT taxed. the transfer tax is roughly 9%, but if you are or say you will be a resident within 18 months of deed registration, that tax is 2%. we are claiming this deduction under the assumption we will be there by then. if not, we can raise our hands and self report. for annual real estate taxes, you pay on something called the cadastral value of the property and based on what the building type is on a plat. we are buying 2 separate plats, which saves us taxes, because one of the pieces is land only. land only tax in italy is dirt cheap, we've been told under $100-. the other parcel that has all the buildings will come in around $700- annually. the cadastral value never changes, so the only way my tax increases is if the rate increases.

so, i hate to talk price, but the ask was 350euros and we got it a bit better, plus we negotiated that they leave 95% of all furniture, fixtures and equipment. obviously, personal items go, like sheets, linens, pictures, etc. they held back a couple of items that they wanted extra for. i turned down most of them, but i bought a once used fontana gusto wood fired pizza/oven. the property has 5 external storage buildings that are filled with lawn equipment, etc.

thanks! that sounds fantastic ...sounds and looks ideal - so cool

It looks awesome. What is the weather like? Are there other Americans in the area? I've had relatives who enjoyed living in other countries. I think they usually linked into ex-pat communities. I tried to live In Veracruz with only limited Spanish and despite befriending a nice group of students at the local park who did many things with me, I found it difficult and isolating to only be able to express myself in Spanish. Your situation is much different and it sounds like your Italian is coming along.

It looks awesome. What is the weather like? Are there other Americans in the area? I've had relatives who enjoyed living in other countries. I think they usually linked into ex-pat communities. I tried to live In Veracruz with only limited Spanish and despite befriending a nice group of students at the local park who did many things with me, I found it difficult and isolating to only be able to express myself in Spanish. Your situation is much different and it sounds like your Italian is coming along.
From what i've heard, Orvieto has a pretty robust ex-pat population, but we are moving to really be part of the community, so i am not going to be actively seeking out english speakers. Our italian is intermediate to upper immediate, so i am pretty confident of communication. We'll see the reality once i am there. The weather is basically the same as my raleigh locale, june, july, august into the 80s and winter months into the 40s 50s for highs.

From what i've heard, Orvieto has a pretty robust ex-pat population, but we are moving to really be part of the community, so i am not going to be actively seeking out english speakers. Our italian is intermediate to upper immediate, so i am pretty confident of communication. We'll see the reality once i am there. The weather is basically the same as my raleigh locale, june, july, august into the 80s and winter months into the 40s 50s for highs.
Yeah man. You’ve been surrounded by Americans your whole life, don’t really need them in Italy. Nice

Yeah man. You’ve been surrounded by Americans your whole life, don’t really need them in Italy. Nice

i really don’t want to worry about are you a dem or rep, etc. i don’t need american nonsense anymore honestly. it’s why i’m going.

so, original contracts have been signed (3 copies) and registered, to which i paid €461. notaio has been engaged. i am finalizing an inspection and expecting to close via POA mid april. we bought all furnishings not personal, but seller pulled back their food processor, wood burning outdoor oven and ping pong table. we passed on the processor but bought the table and oven for €900 after some back and forth. this is the oven, crazy expensive here…….

so, original contracts have been signed (3 copies) and registered, to which i paid €461. notaio has been engaged. i am finalizing an inspection and expecting to close via POA mid april. we bought all furnishings not personal, but seller pulled back their food processor, wood burning outdoor oven and ping pong table. we passed on the processor but bought the table and oven for €900 after some back and forth. this is the oven, crazy expensive here…….

cant Wait to see you in it! That’s so cool!

small delay, but closing date is 5/3.

so, all properties have cadastral plans, they show your plat(s) with structures. we have 2 plats in this purchase. usually, plats are split between land only and land with structures. the existing plat shows a building that no longer exists and is missing the wine cellar structure. a geometra is updating, creating the small delay. we pushed them hard to close quickly, because we are going to italy for 3 weeks beginning 5/3. so this works for us, though we are closing using a power of attorney. it’s just easier that way. our attorney is sending us a PoA that we need to notarize here and then get something called an apostille attached. our plan is to arrive the 3rd, hit the new FCO ikea for giant plastic storage bins, then hit our current place for the night. pack up what we can and head to the notary the next day for our keys! we will probably need 2 moving trips, though we don’t have much stuff to move. sh!t just got real.

Last edited:
Wife and I are planning and buying a property in the Campagnia region of Italy actually in Province Benevento. That is where my parents were born and raised. I have it already cleared with my manager I can work from there but we plan to just spend summers there and then down the road spend more time there.

Wife and I are planning and buying a property in the Campagnia region of Italy actually in Province Benevento. That is where my parents were born and raised. I have it already cleared with my manager I can work from there but we plan to just spend summers there and then down the road spend more time there.

without a visa, rembember the 90/180 rule. what will you do for interweb and phones?

while italy has governmentally approved a nomad visa, the recent change in leadership means they haven’t provided the legislature to back up the law……so, it’s approved but not usable. we continue to pursue my wife obtaining an ICT visa with her company’s help, but her company is plain ole stupid. we think we have a path, but are not certain. i should know more this week. if no visa, we can do the 90/180 thing until such time as we give up work and go for the retiree/elective residence visa.

had a good call with our immigration attorney today for my wife’s visa. seems her US company has a legally established Italian entity willing to host, but her company is over complicating things…..they think she needs to be paid by the Italian entity, our attorney isn’t sure and needs to check. Italy changes laws and requirements like we change underwear, so once we figure that out we are clearer. Italy also likes to see a copy of employment contracts, but we’ve explained that the US is not a contract country mostly, so a form letter will likely suffice…..if we get it notarized at an italian consulate. madonna!!!

on the bright side, we received our closing PoA today, we signed one and an extra and had them notarized then brought them to the SOS for a apostilles. i pick them up tomorrow, i will send one via fedex express back to italy and keep one in a god forbid instance.

then the closing is 5/3 and i wait for @DA RAIDERS to visit.

very exciting, my current apartment is now in the market….fbg discount, ask me how!

had a good call with our immigration attorney today for my wife’s visa. seems her US company has a legally established Italian entity willing to host, but her company is over complicating things…..they think she needs to be paid by the Italian entity, our attorney isn’t sure and needs to check. Italy changes laws and requirements like we change underwear, so once we figure that out we are clearer. Italy also likes to see a copy of employment contracts, but we’ve explained that the US is not a contract country mostly, so a form letter will likely suffice…..if we get it notarized at an italian consulate. madonna!!!

on the bright side, we received our closing PoA today, we signed one and an extra and had them notarized then brought them to the SOS for a apostilles. i pick them up tomorrow, i will send one via fedex express back to italy and keep one in a god forbid instance.

June too early?

June too early?

:( too late….leaving 5/24.

my PoA with Apostille was completed by the SoS and i got it to fedex friday before last shipment. expected delivery to my attorney is 4/24, well in advance. only thing left to do is arrive, grab keys and buy toilet seats and mattresses. i ain’t using someone else’s toilet seats.

June too early?

Where are you going on the 24th?

June too early?

back to teh states

June too early?

back to teh states
Doh!

I had to get a bunch of apostilles on docs when I moved to Spain. Immigration is tough!

GLLLLLLLLLLLL ChemX and fam!

so, arrived today around 10a and cleared customs fast…..then got crap avis service and lost some time. made it out of harrport around 11a and hit the ikea for bins. got to old house around 2p and packed. grabbed eats at a small burger joint. tomorrow is key pickup date and first access as owner. we expect to leave old place around 1p, head to new place…..stop to buy insurance and pickup keys after 3p. then to property.

so, everything went as planned today…..and that is no easy task in italy. we stuffed our rental jeep compass to the rim with plastic containers and likely need one more trip. we got the keys around 3p…..of course we celebrated with a spritz and some porchetta.
then we went to the insurance agency and had the insurance transferred over to us, saved us some money on the earthquake premium.
it was too late to shop for toilet seats and mattresses. we will do that tomorrow and make our last moving trip. place inside looks great and they left it in great condition. we have just enough furniture and kitchen gadgets to get us by……the laundry room has an extra fridge and freezer. funny thing, downstairs bathroom has no knob outside, just a permanent key. quirky like hell, which we like. i did notice that the outside built in pizza oven has a light inside the building. we met the neighbors. very very nice. older husband and wife in the house attached to us….attached to them is their daughter and sil.

so, everything went as planned today…..and that is no easy task in italy. we stuffed our rental jeep compass to the rim with plastic containers and likely need one more trip. we got the keys around 3p…..of course we celebrated with a spritz and some porchetta.
then we went to the insurance agency and had the insurance transferred over to us, saved us some money on the earthquake premium.
it was too late to shop for toilet seats and mattresses. we will do that tomorrow and make our last moving trip. place inside looks great and they left it in great condition. we have just enough furniture and kitchen gadgets to get us by……the laundry room has an extra fridge and freezer. funny thing, downstairs bathroom has no knob outside, just a permanent key. quirky like hell, which we like. i did notice that the outside built in pizza oven has a light inside the building. we met the neighbors. very very nice. older husband and wife in the house attached to us….attached to them is their daughter and sil.
******* jealous

don’t be…….or i should say, i don’t want you to be. i am doing this as a way of sharing a story with many people that love the lifestyle. you can live vicariously through me. i heard a lot of english being spoken in orvieto proper today. i thought, damn americans…..lol. when we are here, we speak mostly italian. the local pizzaiolo told us we had a southern italian accent today. tomorrow is may 5 and i will try to make tacos at home. big question is: can i find shells/tortillas. i know i can make a pico and find meat. saturday in orvieto is market day, which starts at 7a. we will try to get up around 8a and head over for fresh stuff for maybe a chicken parm. i found a decent parking garage, near corso cavour, it is called parking via roma. you take a ticket and validate/pay before you leave, then insert at the exit, like an airport. tomorrow is cappuccino and croissants at home. nutella is likely on the menu. we ate dinner outside tonite and knocked down a bottle of franciacorta. the outdoor space is the big win, something we love and needed. my 90 yr old neighbor was ecstatic when we said he can keep the chicken coop. he uses a small space on our property for the birds and feed. we said keep going, we just want some eggs now and then. lucky we speak enough italian because in this area, there is no english.

don’t be…….or i should say, i don’t want you to be. i am doing this as a way of sharing a story with many people that love the lifestyle. you can live vicariously through me. i heard a lot of english being spoken in orvieto proper today. i thought, damn americans…..lol. when we are here, we speak mostly italian. the local pizzaiolo told us we had a southern italian accent today. tomorrow is may 5 and i will try to make tacos at home. big question is: can i find shells/tortillas. i know i can make a pico and find meat. saturday in orvieto is market day, which starts at 7a. we will try to get up around 8a and head over for fresh stuff for maybe a chicken parm. i found a decent parking garage, near corso cavour, it is called parking via roma. you take a ticket and validate/pay before you leave, then insert at the exit, like an airport. tomorrow is cappuccino and croissants at home. nutella is likely on the menu. we ate dinner outside tonite and knocked down a bottle of franciacorta. the outdoor space is the big win, something we love and needed. my 90 yr old neighbor was ecstatic when we said he can keep the chicken coop. he uses a small space on our property for the birds and feed. we said keep going, we just want some eggs now and then. lucky we speak enough italian because in this area, there is no english.
35 days from hitting Orvieto for a week. Better start studying. :whistle:

so, our 90 year old neighbor brought us 5 fresh eggs today. tomorrow i make a lemon olive oil cake and use the eggs. market is in orvieto centro 7a-1p. stopped at the orvieto coop supermarket today and shopped for taco stuff…..also had a $3 loaded porchetta sandwich. couldn’t find a hot pepper and couldn’t find cilantro. did find taco shells. found asiago and we shredded some ourselves. in place or missing items i ground some coriander and added some red pepper flakes to my pico. we made a 2nd run to our old place and have just a couple items left to move. oh, the prior owners were german and the oven is german and controls in german. thank god for that google translate camera thing. i used the diefledermaus setting for warming the shells.

so, our 90 year old neighbor brought us 5 fresh eggs today. tomorrow i make a lemon olive oil cake and use the eggs. market is in orvieto centro 7a-1p. stopped at the orvieto coop supermarket today and shopped for taco stuff…..also had a $3 loaded porchetta sandwich. couldn’t find a hot pepper and couldn’t find cilantro. did find taco shells. found asiago and we shredded some ourselves. in place or missing items i ground some coriander and added some red pepper flakes to my pico. we made a 2nd run to our old place and have just a couple items left to move. oh, the prior owners were german and the oven is german and controls in german. thank god for that google translate camera thing. i used the diefledermaus setting for warming the shells.
American, living in Italy, making Mexican food on a German stove. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread