What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

harrycarey

Footballguy
Here's my first of many attempts and please provide feedback

Texans Reggie Bush It seems the only thing they can do

Saints Matt Leinhart Go with the polished, pocket passer after dealing with

Aaron Brooks

Titans Vince Young Will be a great fit to learn behind McNair.. Could get

trade offers from Cards or Raiders

Jets AJ Hawk Definsive-minded head coach gets the best defensive

player in the draft to pair with Vilma

Packers Mario Williams Dynamic pass rusher will help young secondary and KGB

get better

Raiders Haloti Ngata Washington and Sapp can't play forever

49ers Jimmy Williams Thought about Ferguson, but he nor Jennings are a good

fit for RT so they help out a crappy secondary

Bills D'Brickashaw Ferguson A gift falls to them

Lions Mathias Kiwanuka Could take an OT, but this all-around DE is too much to

pass up

Cards Winston Justice You need olinemen if you want to sling the ball all over

the field like Green likes

Rams Antonio Cromartie Size and speed too much to pass up for team in

desperate need of secondary help

Browns Eric Winston Could be a sleeper to take the first RB

Ravens Brodrick Bunkley Now that they switched back to a 4-3 defense they need

some players at DT

Eagles Chad Greenway A very un-exciting linebacking group gets playmaker

Falcons Micheal Huff Can play just about anywhere in the backfield and will

likely wind up at free safety

Dolphins Ko Simpson Tillman and Jones aren't great and Simpson's best days

are ahead of him

Vikings Deangelo Williams Williams is the better fit for their offense then White

Cowboys Marcus McNeal Its no secret the Oline was terrible

Chargers Demeco Ryans Need help in the secondary but already have many

young players there

Chiefs Santonio Holmes Brings a dynamic presence to the Chiefs

Patriots Lendale White Don't know how he made it here, but the Pats are

well on their way to another C5hampionship

Broncos Vernon Davis Great all-around tight end who will add a dimension

that has been missing since Sharpe left

Bucs Max-Jean Gillis Helps out Caddy which in turn helps out Simms

Bengals Tamba Hali They need help at DT or DE and Hali will make a nice

tandem with Smith

Giants Ashton Youboty They had Terrell Buckley covering Steve Smith-

enough said

Bears Leonard Pope Benson, Pope, Bradley, Muhammed, Berrian will offer

Grossman a nice group of weapons

Panthers Laurance Maroney I liked Shelton, but it appears they don't

Steelers Darnell Bing Try to stike it rich again with a USC safety

Jaguars Ryan O'Callaghan Their line has been very underwhelming

Colts Ernie Simms Offers the speed the Colts defense looks for

Seahawks Derek Hagan They've drafted defense a lot recently, now they add

a nice passing target

Broncos Elvis Dumervill Broncos were among the worst in the league in sacks

Forgive the layout.. It pasted all jumbled up and i did the best i could

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawks are going to take BPA....and that won't be WR Derek HagenMy guess is that it would be a OT, CB or RB

Somebody sell me on Ko Simpson. I keep seeing him in the top 20, and I don't get it, or see it. I've watched him one whole time, so what do I know? He looked small, slow, and lost trying to deal with Brad Smith in his bowl game. I saw him give up on plays. I think he had two picks this year and his tackles figure wasn't anything spectacular. Now South Carolina's corner-- Joseph-- he looked very good. Simpson is coming out as a sophomore and I really think he needs a little more time in the minor leagues.Other than that (for now). Thanks for the mock. They're always fun to read.

Hawks are going to take BPA....and that won't be WR Derek Hagen

My guess is that it would be a OT, CB or RB
Not RB with the big 4 gone according to his mock.Why not Hagen? I'm no Hawks fan, but it makes sense to me.

Hawks are going to take BPA....and that won't be WR Derek Hagen

My guess is that it would be a OT, CB or RB
Not RB with the big 4 gone according to his mock.Why not Hagen? I'm no Hawks fan, but it makes sense to me.
The Seahawks are about as unpredictable as any team in the league. I agree it will be whoever they think is the BPA... good luck figuring out who that is though. One player to keep in mind is Manny Lawson. Once they're all done poking, probing, and prodding him, he's going to have some big love from several teams. The Seahawks did want Demarcus Ware last year, they just couldn't pull it off when his stock skyrocketed. Maybe Lawson will be there, and he should measure up very similar to Ware. Probably more athletic.

Another thought. More than one scout and/or personnel exec has been quoted saying Cutler is better than Leinart. I wouldn't suggest that is anything but a small minority opinion, still Cutler looks like a guaranteed first rounder. The NFL Network's draft guru was just quoted in a radio interview saying Cutler would be top 5. I see him going to Detroit in a lot of mocks at #9. Finally, Saban has been very clear about his need to find a young QB to develop. I doubt Cutler makes it past Miami at 16 if he's not already gone.

It's always interesting to read these. :thumbup:

Lions Mathias Kiwanuka Could take an OT, but this all-around DE is too much to pass up

:thumbup: Especially with their new coach.

No need after KC signs Owens. ;)

The last WR KC drafted in the 1st was Sylvester Morris. :X

I just don't see them going WR here with Herm Edwards as the coach.

I can see Hali, Youbooty, or hope Michael Huff falls.

Another thought - Oakland (+ 2nd) / Jets trade. Oakland can choose to take their QB of the future (Cutler) or Mario Williams. Jets get either Brick, White, or Hawk.

Another thought. More than one scout and/or personnel exec has been quoted saying Cutler is better than Leinart. I wouldn't suggest that is anything but a small minority opinion, still Cutler looks like a guaranteed first rounder. The NFL Network's draft guru was just quoted in a radio interview saying Cutler would be top 5. I see him going to Detroit in a lot of mocks at #9. Finally, Saban has been very clear about his need to find a young QB to develop. I doubt Cutler makes it past Miami at 16 if he's not already gone.
I hadn't heard that about the Dolphins, so that will probably be a change I'll make and I was tempted to have Arizona or Detroit take him but I think the new coach at Detroit will want to win now instead of using his first pick on a qb of the future.

Lions Mathias Kiwanuka Could take an OT, but this all-around DE is too much to pass up

HC---very good mock in that you thoughyt outside the box where some of these guys are being mocked.....like Eric WInston, Brick and Bunkley. Thinking outside the box gets you a :thumbup: OZ---you and I are pretty hard core KC guys....and it seems as if Huff is our Derrick Johnson this season......I never thought we would get DJ but he slid. The KC consensus I have read all want Huff but I would take OT, WR or DT in that order if Huff doesnt fall. Bing, etc dont bring the value Huff would @ 20.

I hadn't heard that about the Dolphins, so that will probably be a change I'll make and I was tempted to have Arizona or Detroit take him but I think the new coach at Detroit will want to win now instead of using his first pick on a qb of the future.
Link to Cohen's article on Saban's priorities

HC---very good mock in that you thoughyt outside the box where some of these guys are being mocked.....like Eric WInston, Brick and Bunkley. Thinking outside the box gets you a :thumbup: OZ---you and I are pretty hard core KC guys....and it seems as if Huff is our Derrick Johnson this season......I never thought we would get DJ but he slid. The KC consensus I have read all want Huff but I would take OT, WR or DT in that order if Huff doesnt fall. Bing, etc dont bring the value Huff would @ 20.
Agreed on the mock :thumbup: Bunkley seems to be quietly moving up, and I've been suggesting Brick could fall some. I like this mock.

Not so fast on Huff though. Falcons get first shot and they seem giddy about the possibility.

Interesting you mention OT for the Chiefs. The line is not a weakness. Why is that such a high priority?

OZ---you and I are pretty hard core KC guys....and it seems as if Huff is our Derrick Johnson this season......I never thought we would get DJ but he slid. The KC consensus I have read all want Huff but I would take OT, WR or DT in that order if Huff doesnt fall. Bing, etc dont bring the value Huff would @ 20.
Not so fast on Huff though. Falcons get first shot and they seem giddy about the possibility. Interesting you mention OT for the Chiefs. The line is not a weakness. Why is that such a high priority?
If Atlanta wants Huff, you're right. FWIW, I thought Detroit would take DJ last year.OT/OL - much like Packer fans want a QB to replace Favre, KC fans don't want to see the line totally fall apart when Shields and Roaf retire. Both are over 34 years old and aren't quite the same player as they were. The "3 W's" aren't exactly young either - Waters is the youngest @ 28. It isn't the highest concern IMO, but if that's where the value is, it makes sense.

Bills D'Brickashaw Ferguson A gift falls to them

- A Bills fan wet dream. Never in a million years unless his stock drops in the combine.

Lions Mathias Kiwanuka Could take an OT, but this all-around DE is too much to pass up.

-Not a bad pick as far as talent but man do they need offensive lineman. They actually have a pretty solid defense in respect to the roster. The right coach could get this defense into the top 10 IMO.

Fact- This draft, as well as next years, will be much deeper than the last few. There will be players taken in the 3rd round that you could easliy see as 1st rounders....its short on QB's but deep at everything else.

Fact- This draft, as well as next years, will be much deeper than the last few. There will be players taken in the 3rd round that you could easliy see as 1st rounders....its short on QB's but deep at everything else.
:loco: This draft is not short on QBs. We have 3 possibly in the top 5 picks and a couple guys like Omar Jacobs who can be studs available later. WR is one position "short" this year.

Why would the Browns take a RB in the first round? They have Droughns, Suggs, and Will Green? This pick would make 0 sense to me, and would probably cause an uprising in Cleveland with so many other holes especially on the DLine.

The Pats made a few deals last year to get some extra picks in this year's draft...their reasoning was exactly what you stated. The draft crop this year is far superior to last year.

I enjoy reading these--good job!!I have to disagree with your thoughts on the Broncos first pick.They aren't going to go TE in the first round. They have $$$ wrapped in Putzier and Alexander has been a nice fill in. But they are grooming Wesley Duke to be the next Gates for them. So I think they are loaded there.I could see them going WR to try and find Smith's replacement (that is if the FA market doesn't look like they will get a name value) or I could see them go Safety in hopes of finding Lynch's replacement down the road.

I enjoy reading these--good job!!

I have to disagree with your thoughts on the Broncos first pick.

They aren't going to go TE in the first round. They have $$$ wrapped in Putzier and Alexander has been a nice fill in. But they are grooming Wesley Duke to be the next Gates for them. So I think they are loaded there.

I could see them going WR to try and find Smith's replacement (that is if the FA market doesn't look like they will get a name value) or I could see them go Safety in hopes of finding Lynch's replacement down the road.
I had forgot about them signing Putzier and the way my mock goes, safety would probably be their best value over someone like Hagan unless Bloom's man Jonathan Orr continues rising.

Why would the Browns take a RB in the first round? They have Droughns, Suggs, and Will Green? This pick would make 0 sense to me, and would probably cause an uprising in Cleveland with so many other holes especially on the DLine.
Who do you think would be a good fit along the Dline for their 3-4 def? I gave them a Offensive Tackle because I though the ones they have are mediocre and old

Dolphins' Draft Board:Winston Justice and Jay Cutler.Both won't fall to 16 but if one does, there is absolutely no chance that he goes by the Fish.

Dolphins' Draft Board:

Winston Justice and Jay Cutler.

Both won't fall to 16 but if one does, there is absolutely no chance that he goes by the Fish.
From feedback so far it looks like I will in the future change to these:Dolphins- Cutler (although we will probably here closer to time about other teams that like him)

Broncos- Safety over tight end, makes since with Putzier singed and Duke waiting

Browns Eric Winston  Could be a sleeper to take the first RB
i wouldn't be too upset if they got a premier back like lendale white.droughns really impressed me this year, but he's not an explosive player.

i'm still holding out hope that suggs can get his stuff together, but it's looking unlikely. very exciting talent, but he can't stay healthy. i won't be suprised if he's out of the league soon.

and green, even without his other baggage, is mediocre.

so the browns, who are trying to establish a punishing defense coupled with a relentless ground game, would certainly benefit from a rb in the first.

i will say though, that if there is a mountain of a DT available when they pick, that had better be their pick.

i wouldn't be too upset if they got a premier back like lendale white.droughns really impressed me this year, but he's not an explosive player.

i'm still holding out hope that suggs can get his stuff together, but it's looking unlikely. very exciting talent, but he can't stay healthy. i won't be suprised if he's out of the league soon.

so the browns, who are trying to establish a punishing defense coupled with a relentless ground game, would certainly benefit from a rb in the first.

i will say though, that if there is a mountain of a DT available when they pick, that had better be their pick.
The Browns will draft defense first.You're right if there is a mountain of a DT available, that would be the way to go. But, after Ngata, who will be gone, there really isn't one who projects that high. Still, the article talks about Gabe Watson so much it makes me wonder if the writer, who is getting solid input from Savage and Crennel, is on to something. Watson could be a huge mover in this draft and Cleveland could move down 10 spots to take him. Mountainous DTs (NTs) are becoming more and more valuable with more teams going 3-4. Watson needs to be watched carefully at the Combine. A good report will put him in the first round to the dismay of many haters. On the other hand, I read an interesting piece quoting SF's personnel director (forget his name, young guy, blonde hair, lol), and he thinks there's several quality NT types way below the radar who will be productive in the NFL, and available on the second day. I think the plug at BYU may translate nicely (forget his name too).

:hophead:

:loco: This draft is not short on QBs. We have 3 possibly in the top 5 picks and a couple guys like Omar Jacobs who can be studs available later. WR is one position "short" this year.
You're right about the QBs. There's the top three, who project very high, then there is alot more than Jacobs. It's very possible Jacobs is 4th or 5th chosen.Prototypes:

Pinegar

Whitehurst

Croyle

Martin

Meyer

Raw big armed athletes:

Jackson

Hackney

Shockley

Vick

Nealy

Eugene

WR convertibles who'll be looked at as QBs:

McNeal

Smith

Robinson

Developmentals with upside:

Gradkowski

Clemens

Olson

Holland

Betts

Smith

There's no way to rank them before the Combine, but 10 or more will be drafted. Jacobs could fall to 6th. Leinart, Young, Cutler... then maybe Pinegar (who is Leinart with a bigger arm), and possibly McNeal or Smith or Hackney could be looked at before Omar. Nealy is going to get a hard look at the Combine, and he is sililar to Vince Young. Whitehurst may look very good removed from the mess that was Clemson's offense. :dunno:

And WR is not short. WR is just lacking billboard talent at the top. There's no Fitz or Edwards. There's no one to take in the first 10-20 picks. But the round two and three material is pretty deep.

Solid:

Holmes

Jackson

Hagan

Tall possession prototypes (I like these 3, btw):

Baskett

Nance

Stovall

SSmith/SMoss prototypes (measureables are very good):

Sinorice Moss

Brandon Williams

Skyler Green

Talented:

Demetrius Williams

Greg Lee

Jason Avant

Mike Hass

Orr (just ask Bloom)

And there's a bunch of sleepers.

Oddly, LB was once considered the strength of this draft because the top guys look really good, but it is shallow compared to other positions especially since all the underclassmen DBs declared.

The Pats made a few deals last year to get some extra picks in this year's draft...their reasoning was exactly what you stated. The draft crop this year is far superior to last year.
It was brilliant. They get two 3rd rounders as valuable as two typical 2nd rounders, and two 4th rounders as valuable as two typical 3rd rounders. If they strike gold like they have been, the dynasty talk will not have ended in Denver. I respect their personnel team more than any other, and I'm very curious to see what back they take and when.

The Browns will draft defense first.You're right if there is a mountain of a DT available, that would be the way to go. But, after Ngata, who will be gone, there really isn't one who projects that high. Still, the article talks about Gabe Watson so much it makes me wonder if the writer, who is getting solid input from Savage and Crennel, is on to something. Watson could be a huge mover in this draft and Cleveland could move down 10 spots to take him. Mountainous DTs (NTs) are becoming more and more valuable with more teams going 3-4. Watson needs to be watched carefully at the Combine. A good report will put him in the first round to the dismay of many haters. On the other hand, I read an interesting piece quoting SF's personnel director (forget his name, young guy, blonde hair, lol), and he thinks there's several quality NT types way below the radar who will be productive in the NFL, and available on the second day. I think the plug at BYU may translate nicely (forget his name too).

:hophead:
Im not predicting any trades yet, but I just don't see Gabe Watson going that high or sneaking very far into round 1 if Wilfork who is much more athletic (i think) fell to bottom of round 1.

Browns Eric Winston  Could be a sleeper to take the first RB
Who do you think would be a good fit along the Dline for their 3-4 def? I gave them a Offensive Tackle because I though the ones they have are mediocre and old
I'm an idiot ;) I thought Winston was a RB :D I don't watch much college football as I bet you can tell. I would love for them to go offensive line. Great pick, sorry about that

Broncos will look WR, S or OL in round one.They are set at TE and DL.People keep insisting that Denver needs help at DL. Shanahan stated yesterday at his press conference that he values turnovers over sacks. He said they might not get sacks, but they get pressures that creat turnovers. They might get some DL help later in the draft, but not round 1.

Broncos will look WR, S or OL in round one.

They are set at TE and DL.

People keep insisting that Denver needs help at DL. Shanahan stated yesterday at his press conference that he values turnovers over sacks. He said they might not get sacks, but they get pressures that creat turnovers. They might get some DL help later in the draft, but not round 1.
Will take note of this.. I thought Dumervill would be a light reach there, but was going on the fact that they didn't get many sacks. But, this changes that. Thanks

I looked at my draft again and I only have 3 corners going round 1 with 3 safeties. This doesn't seem right since safeties are usually undervalued and corners are popular choices. But I don't know who else would be taking a corner.

I looked at my draft again and I only have 3 corners going round 1 with 3 safeties. This doesn't seem right since safeties are usually undervalued and corners are popular choices. But I don't know who else would be taking a corner.
The Chargers are a candidate to take a DB at any secondary position. Other than that you probably have more DBs in round 1 than I would. I'm going to be surprised if 6 or more OL don't go in rd 1.

I agree with Gargoylez here. A good job on the mock draft overall, but that Ferguson projection isn't very likely. Maybe D'Brick slides a few picks, but there's no way he'd get past the 49ers.

I agree with Gargoylez here. A good job on the mock draft overall, but that Ferguson projection isn't very likely. Maybe D'Brick slides a few picks, but there's no way he'd get past the 49ers.
I just don't think Brick or Jennings have th size and power to play right tackle. someone tell me if I'm wrong

I just don't think Brick or Jennings have th size and power to play right tackle. someone tell me if I'm wrong
I think harrycarry is right here. We've discussed several excellent OTs who translate to the right side and will be available later. I'll be surprised if SF takes offense before defense. The top DL or DB makes the most sense to me.eta: some very solid sites have D'Brick between the 8th and 11th pick right now. He can improve his status (again) with an awesome Senior Bowl week (this week, btw) and distancing himself from the other OTs at the combine, but I just don't think he's that much better than the others. He probably cannot drop any further though. Unless Winston, Justice or McNeill blow him away, which is possible, btw. Blesto, who the NFL pays to rank these guys, has had McNeill ahead of D'Brick for most of the year, and used to have Winston ahead of him. There is a touch of media hype surrounding D'Brick's extremely high grade. He did weigh in at 289 before his bowl game, and the rumors that he struggles to keep weight on may be true.

A few thoughts on the Cowboys.Everyone knows that Dallas needs Oline help, as well as young WRs. What a lot of mock drafters (including people getting paid to make mocks) seem to not consider, however, is the philosophy of the decision maker(s) of those teams. Parcells has never drafted an Olineman in the first round. Jumbo Elliot was an early second rounder. He's this highest. Parcells has only once drafted a WR in the first (Terry Glenn) and its been reported that he fought very hard against that pick and he was overruled. Further, in a press conference late in the year, Parcells said that OTs and WRs have some of this highest bust rates as first round picks. Parcells is a guy who strongly plays percentages.I'm not saying that Dallas won't draft an OT in round 1. But I think its rather unlikely given Parcells' philosophies. Maybe McNiell rates highly enough to overcome Parcells' concerns. It should be noted that McNiell reportedly has stenosis of the spine, or a narrow spinal column which puts him at increased risk of paralysis. Its what cause Michael Irvin to retire.Given Parcells' draft history/philosophy and well as Dallas' other needs, I could see them going OLB at pick 18. Trying to get a bookend for Ware. I have also seen Huff as a potential guy as the pokes want help at FS. Not sure that he fits their needs for a "QB of the secondary" type guy, but his playmaking ability might pair well with Roy Williams. If somehow Ngola falls to 18, I'm sure they would love to get their NT for the next decade lined up. Some other not unlikely potential spots include ILB (doubt value is there at 18) and perhaps TE. Think a playmaker like Davis combining with Witten wouldn't give defenses fits?Anyway, the main point that I am making is that mock drafters should look beyond a team's paper needs and also consider the philosophy of the decision makers. All in all, this mock is a fun read. I also agree that Dbrick is likely to slide some once his workout numbers come out.

HOF OT's drafted since 1960:Ron Yary - 1st round, 1st pickBob (Boomer) Brown - 1st round, 2nd pickAnthony Munoz - 1st round, 3rd pickRon Mix - 1st pick in AFL draftDan Dierdorf - 2nd round, 43rd pickArt Shell - 3rd roundJackie Slater - 3rd roundLooks like a position where scouts know if a guy has talent to play the position. A couple of guys (Shell and Slater) slipped to the 3rd round but I was surprised no HOF tackle was drafted later than that.

Not necessarily - looking at HoF inductees doesn't tell you much except that those guys got picked high. Mandarich & his ilk are high pick busts.Using guys in the hall to say where talent should go is odd to me - they are the elite, so it's a small sample. Also, you're not really aiming for a guy who's Canton-bound in the first round; you're aiming for a guy who's Pro-Bowl & All-Pro bound. To try and draft just the creme de la creme is too much. Teams can win with solid players who don't end up in the Hall, you normally need one or two of those guys, but if you keep hitting All-Pro's and Pro Bowlers, you'll get some of those guys.

They aren't going to go TE in the first round. They have $$$ wrapped in Putzier and Alexander has been a nice fill in. But they are grooming Wesley Duke to be the next Gates for them. So I think they are loaded there.

I could see them going WR to try and find Smith's replacement (that is if the FA market doesn't look like they will get a name value) or I could see them go Safety in hopes of finding Lynch's replacement down the road.
I had forgot about them signing Putzier and the way my mock goes, safety would probably be their best value over someone like Hagan unless Bloom's man Jonathan Orr continues rising.
Agree. Even though Hayes is a very nice athletic talent(faster than most the WR's in this draft), Shanahan tends to just find some guy that shows what it takes and make him into a TE. The broncs second pick is someone who isn't projected a first rounder in many drafts. Do you know something about Elvis we do not?

Agree. Even though Hayes is a very nice athletic talent(faster than most the WR's in this draft), Shanahan tends to just find some guy that shows what it takes and make him into a TE. The broncs second pick is someone who isn't projected a first rounder in many drafts. Do you know something about Elvis we do not?
I was just going with the thought that Elvis Dumervill was a Dwight Freeny type player and that's what a team without many sacks would look for, but the post about Shannahan's press conference saying sacks aren't a priority changes that.. and i read a note on the Senior Bowl Weigh-in saying Elvis had a pot belly so he might not be that fast.

Not necessarily - looking at HoF inductees doesn't tell you much except that those guys got picked high. Mandarich & his ilk are high pick busts.

Using guys int he ahll to say where talent should go is odd to me - they are the elite, so it's a small sample. Also, you're not really aiming for a guy who's Canton-bound in the first round; you're aiming for a guy who's Pro-Bowl & All-Pro bound. To try and draft just the creme de la creme is too much. Teams can win with solid players who don't end up in the Hall, you normally need one or two of those guys, but if you keep hitting All-Pro's and Pro Bowlers, you'll get some of those guys.
Here is a list of the offensive linemen voted to the Pro Bowl from 2002-2005. It quite clear thatmost perennial Pro Bowl tackles get drafted early in the 1st round with a couple slipping into the 2nd. Guards tend to be available later in the 1st and it's possible to find one later in the draft. Centers seem to be a difficult position to judge and great players can be found in the 2nd/3rd or later.Orlando Pace - T - 7X - 1st/1st

Chris Samuals - T - 2X - 1st/3rd

Jonathan Ogden - T - 9X - 1st/4th

Walter Jones - T - 5X - 1st/6th

Willie Roaf - T - 11X - 1st/8th

Lincoln Kennedy - T - 2X - 1st/9th

Willie Anderson - T - 3X - 1st/10th

Tra Thomas - T - 2X - 1st/11th

Brad Hopkins - T - 2X - 1st/13th

Marvell Smith - T - 1X - 2nd/7th

Flozell Adams - T - 2X - 2nd/8th

Ruben Brown - G - 8X - 1st/14th

Steve Hutchinson - G - 3X - 1st/17th

Jeff Hartings - G - 2X - 1st/23rd

Jermaine Mayberrry - G - 1X - 1st/25th

Alan Faneca - G - 5X - 1st/26th

Larry Allen - G - 10X - 2nd/17th

Will Shields - G - 10X - 3rd/18th

Ron Stone - G - 3X - 4th/12th

Marco Rivera - G - 3x - 6th/41st

Brian Waters - G - 1X - Undrafted

Mike Wahle - G - 1X - Supplemental

Kevin Mawae - C - 6X - 2nd/7th

LeCharles Bentley - C - 2X - 2nd/12th

Barret Robbins - C - 1X - 2nd/17th

Olin Kreutz - C - 4X - 3rd/3rd

Mike Flanagan - C - 1X - 3rd/29th

Matt Birk - C - 4X - 6th/20th

Tom Nalen - C - 5X - 7th/24th

Jeff Saturday - C - 1X - Undrafted4th

Not necessarily - looking at HoF inductees doesn't tell you much except that those guys got picked high. Mandarich & his ilk are high pick busts.

Using guys int he ahll to say where talent should go is odd to me - they are the elite, so it's a small sample. Also, you're not really aiming for a guy who's Canton-bound in the first round; you're aiming for a guy who's Pro-Bowl & All-Pro bound. To try and draft just the creme de la creme is too much. Teams can win with solid players who don't end up in the Hall, you normally need one or two of those guys, but if you keep hitting All-Pro's and Pro Bowlers, you'll get some of those guys.
Here is a list of the offensive linemen voted to the Pro Bowl from 2002-2004. It quite clear thatmost perennial Pro Bowl tackles get drafted early in the 1st round with a couple slipping into the 2nd. Guards tend to be available later in the 1st and it's possible to find one later in the draft. Centers seem to be a difficult position to judge and great players can be found in the 2nd/3rd or later.Orlando Pace - T - 7X - 1st/1st

Jonathan Ogden - T - 9X - 1st/4th

Walter Jones - T - 5X - 1st/6th

Willie Roaf - T - 11X - 1st/8th

Lincoln Kennedy - T - 2X - 1st/9th

Willie Anderson - T - 3X - 1st/10th

Tra Thomas - T - 2X - 1st/11th

Brad Hopkins - T - 2X - 1st/13th

Marvell Smith - T - 1X - 2nd/7th

Flozell Adams - T - 2X - 2nd/8th

Ruben Brown - G - 8X - 1st/14th

Steve Hutchinson - G - 3X - 1st/17th

Jeff Hartings - G - 2X - 1st/23rd

Jermaine Mayberrry - G - 1X - 1st/25th

Alan Faneca - G - 5X - 1st/26th

Larry Allen - G - 10X - 2nd/17th

Will Shields - G - 10X - 3rd/18th

Ron Stone - G - 3X - 4th/12th

Marco Rivera - G - 3x - 6th/41st

Brian Waters - G - 1X - Undrafted

Kevin Mawae - C - 6X - 2nd/7th

LeCharles Bentley - C - 2X - 2nd/12th

Barret Robbins - C - 1X - 2nd/17th

Olin Kreutz - C - 4X - 3rd/3rd

Mike Flanagan - C - 1X - 3rd/29th

Matt Birk - C - 4X - 6th/20th

Tom Nalen - C - 5X - 7th/24th
nice post.

Offensive Tackles taken in the top 15 picks of the 1st round during the '90's, including number of Pro Bowls:

1999:

John Tait - 14th (near Pro Bowl level)

1998:

Kyle Turley - 7th (Attitude kept him off the Pro Bowl)

Tra Thomas - 11th (2X)

1997:

Orlando Pace - 1st (7X)

Walter Jones - 6th (5X)

1996:

Jonathan Ogden - 4th (9X)

Willie Anderson - 10th (3X)

1995:

Tony Boselli - 2nd (5X)

1994:

Bernard Williams - 14th (Suspended for marijuana)

1993:

Willie Roaf - 8th (11x)

Lincoln Kennedy - 9th (2X)

Brad Hopkins - 13th (2X)

1992:

Bob Whitfield - 8th (1X)

Ray Roberts - 10th (Solid, LT for Barry Sanders '96-'98)

Leon Searcy - 11th (1X)

Eugene Chung - 13th (Huge bust, pick stunned Kiper at the draft)

1991:

Charles McRae - 7th (Huge bust)

Antone Davis - 8th (First of the Eagles OL busts)

Pat Harlow - 11th (Solid, and was later traded for a 2nd round pick used for Tedy Bruschi)

1990:

Richmond Webb - 9th (7X)

Users who are viewing this thread