What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My son got a ####### 8 on a test and forged my signature (2 Viewers)

Now I know some States do things differently but most special ed. is dictated by federal law. You should be invited to a meeting- often called a REED (Review of Existing Educational Data) and there they would outline the tests they want to administer and what disabilities he is being tested for. You HAVE to sign to give them permission and then they have 30 school days to hold a meeting and present the results. They may be playing a little fast and loose with the special ed. guidelines. I work with a SE teacher who started in New York so if you want, I could follow-up to see if NY has some different rules. 
No thanks. Ill just let them handle things for now.

He was sent a letter that he is below grade levels in ELA. If things don't progress he could be looking at summer school. The teacher assured me not to worry about the letter and that we should see progress. I have also asked numerous teachers I know and they all said the same thing, summer school is a LAST resort and as long as he shows progress it will likely not be an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
No thanks. Ill just let them handle things for now.
Cool. As long as you trust the staff and think they are acting in your best interest, I don't think it is a big deal. However, if you ever get the impression they are brushing you off or not providing what they claim they are providing, knowing some basic special ed. law will likely shake them up enough to get them to respond. We get a lot of transfer students coming in from other districts/states and sometimes its just a total disaster. Kids getting totally wrong services or kids being promised to get all these services that they weren't, parents not being informed of major changes in services, etc. 

Cool. As long as you trust the staff and think they are acting in your best interest, I don't think it is a big deal. However, if you ever get the impression they are brushing you off or not providing what they claim they are providing, knowing some basic special ed. law will likely shake them up enough to get them to respond. We get a lot of transfer students coming in from other districts/states and sometimes its just a total disaster. Kids getting totally wrong services or kids being promised to get all these services that they weren't, parents not being informed of major changes in services, etc. 
Keep in mind, THEY were the ones who brought up having him evaluated, not me.

ime- if you agree with having him evaluated, don't leave it in their court... they're busy and care and are thinking about your son faaaaar less than you do. speaking from my own limited experience, it's up to you to make this happen at this point. 

Sure but who are they? Most likely his current gen ed teachers. They won’t have much to do with him being evaluated, that will fall onto some staff members who likely don’t know your kid. Sometimes there are alterior motives. I’m just letting you know they already don’t seem to be following proper protocol at all.

Someone from another school called us and set up an appointment for his Social history and Psych evaluation and now I am having second thoughts about sending him. First of all, I was originally told evaluation would take place in his school, now we have to take him after school hours to another school? Secondly, his grades have improved dramatically across the board since I met with the teachers (94 in science, 79 in math, 84 in social studies, 87 in writing, 64 in reading in the second semester). I think the kid just needed a kick in the ###. He is still struggling a bit in reading though but not to the levels he was. Finally, I am hesitant to send him to something called a psych evaluation when the kid just need s little help in reading. Right now he is being tutored and ELA intervention in school. Why are we going through all this when he has no other issues?

So anyway I am having second thoughts about having him evaluated.

Glad he's doing better- that's great. :thumbup:  

Get him evaluated. 

Second thoughts? Evaluation doesn't hurt your kid- can only help him and your family, even if it's best case scenario and getting the peace of mind knowing he doesn't need additional help. But if he does need help- why would you deny him that because of your second thoughts? Earlier intervention the better. 

Someone from another school called us and set up an appointment for his Social history and Psych evaluation and now I am having second thoughts about sending him. First of all, I was originally told evaluation would take place in his school, now we have to take him after school hours to another school? Secondly, his grades have improved dramatically across the board since I met with the teachers (94 in science, 79 in math, 84 in social studies, 87 in writing, 64 in reading in the second semester). I think the kid just needed a kick in the ###. He is still struggling a bit in reading though but not to the levels he was. Finally, I am hesitant to send him to something called a psych evaluation when the kid just need s little help in reading. Right now he is being tutored and ELA intervention in school. Why are we going through all this when he has no other issues?

Because that's who does these evaluations. I had similar concerns as yours when we had my son evaluated and he was sent to some really long pysh title doc. She administered all the tests and found that he had a very bad visual tracking issue. I would send him.

Great news on the improvement. 

Only you can make the call on if he should get evaluated or not but I feel compelled to tell you my story. When I was in school I had sever anxiety and I probably have some form of ADD/ADHD/ADDHDHDDDHD which really hurt me in school. I was never evaluated but looking back on it now, I REALLY wish my mother would have done something to help me back then. I got kicked out of HS and while I make a good living, it took me much longer to get where Im at today than it should have.

GL Shady

I think you should still get him evaluated, although you should check to see how much control you have over the situation. In other words, will the evaluator (or the school) have the power to force your son into a special education program? Or will they only be able to provide insight and recommendations? If they're only providing insight and recommendations, then why not do it?

Does he have undiagnosed dyslexia?

If his reading is that poor compared to the other grades it is one explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread