What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (3 Viewers)

Andrew Bynum, please keep this up.

Your number 6 scorer all time - everybody's pal.

The Heat aren't going to lose again are they? Gotta believe they'll take down the Lakers Thursday if they lose tonight - no way they lose 6 in a row.

Portland wins by 4, bizarre last sequence for the Magic. Down by 4 with 20 seconds left, they work the clock!! and don't shoot until 5 seconds left.
They're pretty much locked in as the 4 seed, but Dwight's immaturity and dumb antics cost his team a win tonight.He's having the best year of his career, but he needs to grow up.
He needs one more year of seasoning, then he'll be mature and ready to play for the varsity team.
This is cute coming from the guy who is about to lose his football team to the "varsity" city. :own3d:

Last edited by a moderator:
So the Heat have to go 18-1 to match the Cavs record of last year.

LeBron finally has a team around him, right?

Wow, Miami loses 5 in a row. Portland bench outscores Miami bench 41-8. Wade had 38, LeBron had 31, and the rest of the Heat did very little.

Next up for the Heat? The Lakers.

So the Heat have to go 18-1 to match the Cavs record of last year.LeBron finally has a team around him, right?
Like I said in the beginning, James has one elite teammate who has a diminished impact because their skill set is nearly identical, another very good teammate who is more SF than PF leading to more diminished impact, one other legit piece in Mike Miller who again has some of the same repeated skills, and not much else that would crack a playoff rotation. The Heat will remain scary because of the ability of James and Wade to take over games, but their chances at a title are slim until they build up down low.The Cavs were less talented no doubt but built a team around James with size, defense, and a collection of shooters. I am not surprised at all that the old Cavs would have a better record.This is why players shouldn't build teams. Much like some owners/general managers, they have no clue. The NBA isn't a game where the highest collective PER wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld piling on:

LeBron James is being sued by an Atlanta nightclub for reneging on a planned appearance on St. Patrick's Day, while it sounds like he will show up at a rival club instead.

You can check out all the sordid details in the link, including information about an agent named Chubbie Baby, but this will have no impact on his availability for the Heat, nor his inability to make clutch shots with the game on the line. We also doubt it will cause him to cry, but you never know.

Does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that all hell might break loose if either the Heat or the Magic draw the Sixers in the first round?

That sound you hear is the country collectively laughing at the Miami Heat. And they deserve it. I suspect they will eventually get enough help down low to win a championship or two, but it ain't happening this year.

Really, this Heat team reminds me of the fantasy football owner who goes to an auction and thinks he can win the league by blowing 90% of his dollars on three studs, not realizing that you need a well-rounded team to win it all, not just three studs (or in this case, two, as I have never thought Bosh was as studly as many did).

So the Heat have to go 18-1 to match the Cavs record of last year.LeBron finally has a team around him, right?
Like I said in the beginning, James has one elite teammate who has a diminished impact because their skill set is nearly identical, another very good teammate who is more SF than PF leading to more diminished impact, one other legit piece in Mike Miller who again has some of the same repeated skills, and not much else that would crack a playoff rotation. The Heat will remain scary because of the ability of James and Wade to take over games, but their chances at a title are slim until they build up down low.The Cavs were less talented no doubt but built a team around James with size, defense, and a collection of shooters. I am not surprised at all that the old Cavs would have a better record.This is why players shouldn't build teams. Much like some owners/general managers, they have no clue. The NBA isn't a game where the highest collective PER wins.
Very true. But, remember that their best bench players, Haslem and Miller, have been injured for most of the season. It took Miller a while to get his shot after he came back from the thumb injury, but he had a stretch of some very good games, including a 30 point game. Then he had concussion symptoms and missed several games and he hasn't been the same since. They have some historically good shooters - Jones, House and Miller - and they will have to shoot well for the Heat to go anywhere in the playoffs. The plan next year is for Dexter Pittman to get some minutes at center and to add some defense at PG. Chalmers has played his best ball since Bibby arrived - maybe a wakeup call? Bosh and Miller are the reasons the Heat lost to Portland, whose bench might be as good as the starters.

Very true. But, remember that their best bench players, Haslem and Miller, have been injured for most of the season. It took Miller a while to get his shot after he came back from the thumb injury, but he had a stretch of some very good games, including a 30 point game. Then he had concussion symptoms and missed several games and he hasn't been the same since. They have some historically good shooters - Jones, House and Miller - and they will have to shoot well for the Heat to go anywhere in the playoffs. The plan next year is for Dexter Pittman to get some minutes at center and to add some defense at PG. Chalmers has played his best ball since Bibby arrived - maybe a wakeup call? Bosh and Miller are the reasons the Heat lost to Portland, whose bench might be as good as the starters.
Haslem really is the key, IMO. That's the missing piece. He's willing to do the dirty work in the post. A healthy Udonis and this team competes for the championship.

Like I said in the beginning, James has one elite teammate who has a diminished impact because their skill set is nearly identical, another very good teammate who is more SF than PF leading to more diminished impact, one other legit piece in Mike Miller who again has some of the same repeated skills, and not much else that would crack a playoff rotation. The Heat will remain scary because of the ability of James and Wade to take over games, but their chances at a title are slim until they build up down low.The Cavs were less talented no doubt but built a team around James with size, defense, and a collection of shooters. I am not surprised at all that the old Cavs would have a better record.

This is why players shouldn't build teams. Much like some owners/general managers, they have no clue. The NBA isn't a game where the highest collective PER wins.
Haslem really is the key, IMO. That's the missing piece. He's willing to do the dirty work in the post. A healthy Udonis and this team competes for the championship.
I think there may be more than one piece missing.

Like I said in the beginning, James has one elite teammate who has a diminished impact because their skill set is nearly identical, another very good teammate who is more SF than PF leading to more diminished impact, one other legit piece in Mike Miller who again has some of the same repeated skills, and not much else that would crack a playoff rotation. The Heat will remain scary because of the ability of James and Wade to take over games, but their chances at a title are slim until they build up down low.The Cavs were less talented no doubt but built a team around James with size, defense, and a collection of shooters. I am not surprised at all that the old Cavs would have a better record.

This is why players shouldn't build teams. Much like some owners/general managers, they have no clue. The NBA isn't a game where the highest collective PER wins.
I think there may be more than one piece missing.
Haslem would help no doubt. But I agree he isn't the difference between probable EC playoff exit and probable finals appearance. On the Bulls he would be fighting Taj Gibson for time and probably not see the floor on the Bulls. He is a rotation big guy which is great to have if you actually have a group of big guys to rotate. That said, I am not really piling on. This has been my opinion from day one. I still think the Heat could put together a great series and beat any team in the East in a series. I don't think they can do it against two of the Magic, Bulls, and Celtics in a row unless injuries weaken those teams. I am hoping for Heat/Knicks as that would be a very entertaining appetizer in round 1 for the coming Eastern Conference defensive struggles in round 2.

All of their problems are coming from their own expectation that this would be easy. All three of them picked the wrong situation to win a title this year. Maybe that will change over the summer. I wonder if it ever gets to the point though that the NBA vets they could get on exceptions and lower salaries wouldn't touch this team. It is almost painful to watch Wade dance around defending/criticizing the bench they don't have after every game.

Have to believe the Heat will win tomorrow. I wonder what the line looks like.

People are dancing on their grave a bit too early methinks.

Have to believe the Heat will win tomorrow. I wonder what the line looks like.People are dancing on their grave a bit too early methinks.
You are the most negative Laker fan I have ever heard. Don't you think the Lakers remember what happened on Christmas day?

Have to believe the Heat will win tomorrow. I wonder what the line looks like.People are dancing on their grave a bit too early methinks.
You are the most negative Laker fan I have ever heard. Don't you think the Lakers remember what happened on Christmas day?
Christmas day has nothing to do with it. The current 8 game run is tied for the Lakers's longest winning streak of the year. The Heat are on a 6 game losing streak. It's in Miami. I'm not saying blowout, but this is a desperate team the Lakers will be playing while they're probably feeling fat and sassy right about now. It's not about having faith in the Lakers, it's about seeing this show a million times before and knowing how it ends. In a 7 game series, the Lakers would win, and if Bynum can sustain this level of play + the Lakers don't sustain any serious injuries I think they're the best team in the league, but tomorrow night is a whole different thing.

Christmas day has nothing to do with it. The current 8 game run is tied for the Lakers's longest winning streak of the year. The Heat are on a 6 game losing streak. It's in Miami. I'm not saying blowout, but this is a desperate team the Lakers will be playing while they're probably feeling fat and sassy right about now. It's not about having faith in the Lakers, it's about seeing this show a million times before and knowing how it ends. In a 7 game series, the Lakers would win, and if Bynum can sustain this level of play + the Lakers don't sustain any serious injuries I think they're the best team in the league, but tomorrow night is a whole different thing.
Miami should have been desperate to win Sunday. They should have been desperate to win last night. Are they going to be more desperate to win tommorow night? The team is in disarray right now. As to your other point, watching the Lakers last night I didn't see any sign of fat and sassy. Sure Miami could win- they're at home and they have incredible talent. But I don't see how you can EXPECT them to win.

:goodposting: Logic like Tim's- "Don't you think the Lakers will remember what happened Xmas Day?" is the kind of wonderful meaningless stuff that creates value in betting lines. A previous game has little to no impact on a future game other than maybe possibly if it suggests a particular matchup problem. The problem, of course, is that if the Lakers win tomorrow, people consider it validation for their silly theory of revenge, whereas if they lose the "revenge" theorists forget about it and move on.Games like this- one team riding a winning streak, the other riding a losing streak, with the latter at home, and with silly theories of revenge playing into it- are a gambler's dream. Squares LOVE to play streaks. Of course I'm not saying the Heat will win, but if they're an underdog or even if it's a pick 'em game, the Heat are obvious value in my opinion.

Miami should have been desperate to win Sunday. They should have been desperate to win last night. Are they going to be more desperate to win tommorow night? The team is in disarray right now. As to your other point, watching the Lakers last night I didn't see any sign of fat and sassy. Sure Miami could win- they're at home and they have incredible talent. But I don't see how you can EXPECT them to win.
The Heat easily could have won Sunday. I'm sure they looked right past the Blazers going in to last night, anticipating the Lakers on Thursday. Fat and sassy shows up for the Lakers when you least expect it, and considering they've been on their biggest winning streak of the year, I actually expect it right about now, when they're playing a team everyone is leaving for dead. Sure Kobe will say all the right stuff, but will the rest of the guys put in the effort?

So much good basketball going on right now, it's silly. The Blazers and Grizz aren't likely to make the Finals, but both are playing well enough right now that they won't be a walk in round 1.

:goodposting: Logic like Tim's- "Don't you think the Lakers will remember what happened Xmas Day?" is the kind of wonderful meaningless stuff that creates value in betting lines. A previous game has little to no impact on a future game other than maybe possibly if it suggests a particular matchup problem. The problem, of course, is that if the Lakers win tomorrow, people consider it validation for their silly theory of revenge, whereas if they lose the "revenge" theorists forget about it and move on.Games like this- one team riding a winning streak, the other riding a losing streak, with the latter at home, and with silly theories of revenge playing into it- are a gambler's dream. Squares LOVE to play streaks. Of course I'm not saying the Heat will win, but if they're an underdog or even if it's a pick 'em game, the Heat are obvious value in my opinion.
My comment about Christmas day is not in itself reason to believe the Lakers will win, only that it argues against the notion that, because the Lakers have won 7 in a row, they will be unmotivated. Why is it illogical to think, "The Lakers will be motivated by revenge over what happend on Christmas" but logical to think, "The Lakers will be unmotivated because they have won 7 in a row, so they are overconfident."?? That doesn't make sense. Here's what I believe I know:1. Because of Christmas Day, the Lakers will not be unmotivated.2. The Heat are disarray. Yes they are desparate for a win, but that hasn't helped them in the last few games.3. Matchups in this game really favor the Lakers because the Heat have no answer for the frontline. To me that means you have to go in favoring the Lakers. It will be no surprise if Miami wins at home, but the odds shouldn't favor it.

My comment about Christmas day is not in itself reason to believe the Lakers will win, only that it argues against the notion that, because the Lakers have won 7 in a row, they will be unmotivated. Why is it illogical to think, "The Lakers will be motivated by revenge over what happend on Christmas" but logical to think, "The Lakers will be unmotivated because they have won 7 in a row, so they are overconfident."?? That doesn't make sense. Here's what I believe I know:1. Because of Christmas Day, the Lakers will not be unmotivated.2. The Heat are disarray. Yes they are desparate for a win, but that hasn't helped them in the last few games.3. Matchups in this game really favor the Lakers because the Heat have no answer for the frontline. To me that means you have to go in favoring the Lakers. It will be no surprise if Miami wins at home, but the odds shouldn't favor it.
That makes slightly more sense. In that case I'd say that I'd expect the Lakers to be equally motivated regardless of the Christmas game. As a general rule, most serious gamblers will tell you that motivation in either direction plays far less of a role than most fans think. A team might come out flat and unmotivated, but it's really kind of hard to predict when it will happen. Recent play-almost always overvalued- and the frontcourt matchup with the addition of Bynum favor the Lakers. Home court and recent history between the teams favors the Heat. Useful gambling stats like the teams' respective scoring margins are about even. I'd predict a line around pick, which looks like some value on the Heat to me.Regardless, it's got the makings of the NBA regular season game of the year when you consider star power, recent play, and the fact that it's the last huge game before the NBA cedes the limelight to college ball basically until the playoffs start. Should be a great one.

That makes slightly more sense. In that case I'd say that I'd expect the Lakers to be equally motivated regardless of the Christmas game. As a general rule, most serious gamblers will tell you that motivation in either direction plays far less of a role than most fans think. A team might come out flat and unmotivated, but it's really kind of hard to predict when it will happen.
This. I think that fans of sports think that "momentum" and "motivation" play a much bigger role in the pro ranks then they really do. Sure, a player occasionally gets hot or has a run where things are clicking. But NBA, MLB, NFL players are the finest performers for that sport on the planet. They are professionals primarily because their WORST days are still eons better then the best days of everyone watching on TV. The Heat take their jobs seriously every game, as do the Lakers. I don't think Kobe is going to look up and say, "I can dig a little deeper today then normal!"

Miami should have been desperate to win Sunday. They should have been desperate to win last night. Are they going to be more desperate to win tommorow night? The team is in disarray right now. As to your other point, watching the Lakers last night I didn't see any sign of fat and sassy.

Sure Miami could win- they're at home and they have incredible talent. But I don't see how you can EXPECT them to win.
The Heat easily could have won Sunday. I'm sure they looked right past the Blazers going in to last night, anticipating the Lakers on Thursday. Fat and sassy shows up for the Lakers when you least expect it, and considering they've been on their biggest winning streak of the year, I actually expect it right about now, when they're playing a team everyone is leaving for dead. Sure Kobe will say all the right stuff, but will the rest of the guys put in the effort?
About the bolded part, I disagree. After "crygate" as was as being aware of the Blazers recent success, the Heat were focused.

:goodposting: I'd go even a little farther -- it would be shocking if the Heat wins.

1 1/2 games out of 1st in the East now. Hopefully Boozer doesn't miss much time but it isn't like the Bulls are lacking for depth down low. They will have their scoring lows but the defense will be even tighter. When Korver is hitting his shots, the Bulls are close to unbeatable.

When is the last time a PG dominated team won? I guess an argument can be made that both the Celtics (Rondo) and Spurs (Parker) have won titles in the last decade with the PG being the best player on the floor for their playoff runs. But otherwise, aren't we having to go back to Magic to find a PG that was his team's alpha dog on the way to a ring? The more I watch Chicago, the more I think their offseason moves (as we discussed here) were the "right" formula. Korver for bombs, Boozer for some offense down low.

Also, Durantula can fill it up, can't he?

When is the last time a PG dominated team won? I guess an argument can be made that both the Celtics (Rondo) and Spurs (Parker) have won titles in the last decade with the PG being the best player on the floor for their playoff runs. But otherwise, aren't we having to go back to Magic to find a PG that was his team's alpha dog on the way to a ring? The more I watch Chicago, the more I think their offseason moves (as we discussed here) were the "right" formula. Korver for bombs, Boozer for some offense down low. Also, Durantula can fill it up, can't he?
Rondo??? Either you totally forgot about 2008 or you forgot that the Lakers won game 7 last year.

When is the last time a PG dominated team won? I guess an argument can be made that both the Celtics (Rondo) and Spurs (Parker) have won titles in the last decade with the PG being the best player on the floor for their playoff runs. But otherwise, aren't we having to go back to Magic to find a PG that was his team's alpha dog on the way to a ring? The more I watch Chicago, the more I think their offseason moves (as we discussed here) were the "right" formula. Korver for bombs, Boozer for some offense down low. Also, Durantula can fill it up, can't he?
Isiah and Magic led their team in scoring on the way to a championship. Parker was close to doing so.

Rondo??? Either you totally forgot about 2008 or you forgot that the Lakers won game 7 last year.
Hey overly defensive Laker guy, I was pointing to teams that won the title with a point guard as their best player. Was Rondo the team's best player in 2008 playoffs? I'm asking. And what does last year have to do with anything?

'Abraham said:
'JMon348 said:
Hey overly defensive Laker guy, I was pointing to teams that won the title with a point guard as their best player. Was Rondo the team's best player in 2008 playoffs? I'm asking. And what does last year have to do with anything?
Overly defensive?Just was stating, I think you made a mistake. You may have just quickly typed Rondo without remembering that they did lose last year. Last year was the second year Rondo was their best player.In 2008 Rondo was probably their 4th best player. Sam Cassell was getting minutes at PG, and I think he even finished some games.And even though Parker won the Finals MVP, Duncan was clearly their best player for each of the playoff runs.I think Isiah would be the last PG led team to win the title.

Users who are viewing this thread