What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (6 Viewers)

'Abraham said:
'JMon348 said:
When is the last time a PG dominated team won? I guess an argument can be made that both the Celtics (Rondo) and Spurs (Parker) have won titles in the last decade with the PG being the best player on the floor for their playoff runs. But otherwise, aren't we having to go back to Magic to find a PG that was his team's alpha dog on the way to a ring? The more I watch Chicago, the more I think their offseason moves (as we discussed here) were the "right" formula. Korver for bombs, Boozer for some offense down low. Also, Durantula can fill it up, can't he?
Rondo??? Either you totally forgot about 2008 or you forgot that the Lakers won game 7 last year.
Hey overly defensive Laker guy, I was pointing to teams that won the title with a point guard as their best player. Was Rondo the team's best player in 2008 playoffs? I'm asking. And what does last year have to do with anything?
Maybe he thinks Fisher was the best player on the Lakers last year? :shrug:

How do you think the playoff seeding for the East will end up? At this point, I would guess:

1. Celtics

2. Bulls

3. Heat

4. Magic

5. Knicks

6. 76ers

7. Hawks

8. Bucks

'Abraham said:
'JMon348 said:
When is the last time a PG dominated team won? I guess an argument can be made that both the Celtics (Rondo) and Spurs (Parker) have won titles in the last decade with the PG being the best player on the floor for their playoff runs. But otherwise, aren't we having to go back to Magic to find a PG that was his team's alpha dog on the way to a ring? The more I watch Chicago, the more I think their offseason moves (as we discussed here) were the "right" formula. Korver for bombs, Boozer for some offense down low. Also, Durantula can fill it up, can't he?
Rondo??? Either you totally forgot about 2008 or you forgot that the Lakers won game 7 last year.
Hey overly defensive Laker guy, I was pointing to teams that won the title with a point guard as their best player. Was Rondo the team's best player in 2008 playoffs? I'm asking. And what does last year have to do with anything?
Overly defensive?Just was stating, I think you made a mistake. You may have just quickly typed Rondo without remembering that they did lose last year. Last year was the second year Rondo was their best player.In 2008 Rondo was probably their 4th best player. Sam Cassell was getting minutes at PG, and I think he even finished some games.And even though Parker won the Finals MVP, Duncan was clearly their best player for each of the playoff runs.I think Isiah would be the last PG led team to win the title.
:wall: I didn't suggest that the Celtics won last year. I suggested that "LOOKING BACK ON TITLE TEAMS, WHICH ONES HAD POINT GUARDS AS THEIR BEST PLAYERS IN THE PLAYOFFS?" I mentioned Rondo (08) as a possible example. I mentioned Parker as a possible example. Then I suggested that Magic's Lakers may have been the last "real" example. YOu are correct that I overlooked Isiah's Pistons.

How do you think the playoff seeding for the East will end up? At this point, I would guess:1. Celtics2. Bulls3. Heat4. Magic5. Knicks6. 76ers7. Hawks8. Bucks
1. Celtics2. Bulls3. Heat4. Magic5. Hawks (you really thing the Hawks are going to drop below Philly - 4 GB and NY - 2.5 GB?)6. 6ers7. Knicks8. Bucks (definitely an uphill battle)

5. Hawks (you really think the Hawks are going to drop below Philly - 4 GB and NY - 2.5 GB?)
Yes. This has as much to do with thinking the 76ers and Knicks will finish strong as it does with the Hawks demise. Both those teams are better than their current records indicate.Bulls also have a legit shot at #1. We might see the Celtics struggle some with all these injuries and new bench pieces. The Celtics' confidence also make them seem less concerned about coasting until the playoffs. Probably won't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Rondo was nowhere close to being the best player on the 2008 Celtics. Paul Pierce was clearly the best player on either team in the Finals that year. Rondo didn't blow up into being a borderline superstar until 2009.Parker may have been Finals MVP for the Spurs, but Duncan was still the best player on those Spurs championship teams, imo.You have to go back to the Pistons led by Isiah as the last team to win a title with the pg being the best player on the team. And of course the Lakers with Magic the 2 years before that.

5. Hawks (you really think the Hawks are going to drop below Philly - 4 GB and NY - 2.5 GB?)
Yes. This has as much to do with thinking the 76ers and Knicks will finish strong as it does with the Hawks demise. Both those teams are better than their current records indicate.Bulls also have a legit shot at #1. We might see the Celtics struggle some with all these injuries and new bench pieces. The Celtics' confidence also make them seem less concerned about coasting until the playoffs. Probably won't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
That is a lot of games to make up for Philly. They've got a 5 game west coast trip coming and while it isn't against very good teams, those are tough trips and Philly isn't exactly great on the road.

Rondo was nowhere close to being the best player on the 2008 Celtics. Paul Pierce was clearly the best player on either team in the Finals that year. Rondo didn't blow up into being a borderline superstar until 2009.Parker may have been Finals MVP for the Spurs, but Duncan was still the best player on those Spurs championship teams, imo.You have to go back to the Pistons led by Isiah as the last team to win a title with the pg being the best player on the team. And of course the Lakers with Magic the 2 years before that.
Thank you for adding something constructive. :thumbup:

'Abraham said:
'JMon348 said:
Overly defensive?Just was stating, I think you made a mistake. You may have just quickly typed Rondo without remembering that they did lose last year. Last year was the second year Rondo was their best player.In 2008 Rondo was probably their 4th best player. Sam Cassell was getting minutes at PG, and I think he even finished some games.And even though Parker won the Finals MVP, Duncan was clearly their best player for each of the playoff runs.I think Isiah would be the last PG led team to win the title.
:wall:
That never goes away.

One could argue Wade was the true PG the year they beat Dallas.

Hey Timmy, the Lakers are favored by 3 at bodog right now. I think the Lakers will be out for blood considering they're probably upset about the lack of respect evidenced by being treated as an afterthought in this game, and they'll be focused to win to allow the showdown Saturday to put them up on Dallas in the standings, so I'm not as confident this is a trap game as I was yesterday. Still, how about a nice friendly wager that will be a win/win for everyone. I take the Heat +3, you get the Lakers -3. Loser doesn't post here for a week (call it tonight 11:59pm pst tonight to 11:59pm pst next Thursday).

:football:

PS. I know you're in about 17 drafts right now, so I'll take those over for you - I'd probably be helping you out there if your all time NBA draft decisions are any measure.

One could argue Wade was the true PG the year they beat Dallas.
I don't think so. Jason Williams was a true pg on that team. There would actually be a much better case that Jordan was the pg on the 2nd 3peat Bulls team than there would be for Wade, since Ron Harper wasn't a true pg. But that argument would be nullified by the fact that Pippen handled the ball just as much as Jordan did.

That is a lot of games to make up for Philly. They've got a 5 game west coast trip coming and while it isn't against very good teams, those are tough trips and Philly isn't exactly great on the road.
I agree, as a 76er fan.However if the 76ers are going to be worthy of any type of playoff consideration this year, they have to win on the road in these final weeks. They have improved quite a bit since mid January and they are 7-2 on the road since then.

I don't think so. Jason Williams was a true pg on that team. There would actually be a much better case that Jordan was the pg on the 2nd 3peat Bulls team than there would be for Wade, since Ron Harper wasn't a true pg. But that argument would be nullified by the fact that Pippen handled the ball just as much as Jordan did.
I'm not a Heat fan so my memory may have faded, but I think I remember Williams bringing the ball up then giving it to Wade to be the primary play maker. Williams was aging and not the player he was with the Kings or Grizzlies. In this way, Wade was what I would consider the true PG. The same goes for LeBron with the Cavs the last few years. Pippen was the true PG of the 2nd 3peat Bulls although true PGs are as necessary in the triangle offense.

I'm not a Heat fan so my memory may have faded, but I think I remember Williams bringing the ball up then giving it to Wade to be the primary play maker. Williams was aging and not the player he was with the Kings or Grizzlies. In this way, Wade was what I would consider the true PG. The same goes for LeBron with the Cavs the last few years. Pippen was the true PG of the 2nd 3peat Bulls although true PGs are as necessary in the triangle offense.
I think Gary Payton played over Williams in crunch time, had one big game in the Finals if I remember correctly.

My wife hates LeBron. Combined with Rose, her hatred of the Heat is getting her interested in basketball for the first time since the dynasty. Last night she said, "LeBron brought his tears to South Beach."

Very good game so far. Both teams playing well.

Looks like the Heat is really intent on getting the ball into Bosh down low, and he's willing to take it there. This may be one solution to their problems the rest of the year.

After playing so well in several games, Bynum's largely absent tonight so far. He's getting beaten for rebounds and that's allowing Miami second touches which is one of the reasons they are ahead.

Looks like the Heat is really intent on getting the ball into Bosh down low, and he's willing to take it there. This may be one solution to their problems the rest of the year.
I don't know. I think it will continue to be the LeBron and Wade show. Particularly in the playoffs and late in close games.

I know that this is how most people do it, but this needs to change. Don't you think are sounds so much better in that sentence? The Thunder announcers drive me absolutely bonkers with this. "The Thunder is rebounding well"...doesn't that just sound wrong?Also, do people who speak Spanish really just put the Spanish article in front of the English proper noun? Shouldn't the jersey say "el (Spanish word for Heat)?

Last edited by a moderator:

I know that this is how most people do it, but this needs to change. Don't you think are sounds so much better in that sentence? The Thunder announcers drive me absolutely bonkers with this. "The Thunder is rebounding well"...doesn't that just sound wrong?Also, do people who speak Spanish really just put the Spanish article in front of the English proper noun? Shouldn't the jersey say "el (Spanish word for Heat)?
I just wish they would stop naming teams these non-plural names. When half the WNBA does something unusual, you have to question it.

Miami should win this now. Lakers made some mistakes in the last few minutes (Kobe's shot selection) and also got some questionable calls, but that'll happen on the road.

I noticed that with under 5 minutes left Dwyane Wade was the guy who took over for the Heat. That seems to be the right choice.

Miami should win this now. Lakers made some mistakes in the last few minutes (Kobe's shot selection) and also got some questionable calls, but that'll happen on the road. I noticed that with under 5 minutes left Dwyane Wade was the guy who took over for the Heat. That seems to be the right choice.
Unless he dribbles it OB. :wall:

Great game. Though the Lakers looked out of sync offensively the whole 2nd half. I love Kobe, but he looked like crap. For a half, I completely forgot that one of these teams had a huge advantage in the frontcourt because it just seemed like a bunch of dribbling around jacking up bad shots.

Miami should win this now. Lakers made some mistakes in the last few minutes (Kobe's shot selection) and also got some questionable calls, but that'll happen on the road. I noticed that with under 5 minutes left Dwyane Wade was the guy who took over for the Heat. That seems to be the right choice.
Well yea. Kobe was playing on him. Lebrun had some great plays though too tonight.

Well, Gr00vus predicted this. I thought it would be a close Laker victory, but I can't say I'm surprised. Andrew Bynum didn't start playing until the 2nd half, and that really cost the Lakers.

Will this game end the Heat's problems? They did a lot of things I liked- going to Bosh a lot in the 1st half, going to Wade toward the end. If they continue to do that, will it make up for their shortcomings?

Well, Gr00vus predicted this. I thought it would be a close Laker victory, but I can't say I'm surprised. Andrew Bynum didn't start playing until the 2nd half, and that really cost the Lakers. Will this game end the Heat's problems? They did a lot of things I liked- going to Bosh a lot in the 1st half, going to Wade toward the end. If they continue to do that, will it make up for their shortcomings?
No. The Heat matches up well against teams without good quick point guards, such as the Lakers. Also, the Lakers have length, but they aren't that physical. The only way the Heat advances deep in the payoffs is if a couple of their outside shooters stay hot - tonight, Miller, Bibby and Chalmers were 7 of 12 from downtown.

I didn't see the game. Did Kobe cover Wade the entire game?

I only ask cause I think against teams like Boston, it is a big advantage having Kobe lay off of Rondo for most of the night on the defensive end. Fisher actually does a decent job chasing Ray Allen around all night, but I imagine he would be a disaster on a slasher like Wade.

'timschochet said:
Miami should win this now. Lakers made some mistakes in the last few minutes (Kobe's shot selection) and also got some questionable calls, but that'll happen on the road.

I noticed that with under 5 minutes left Dwyane Wade was the guy who took over for the Heat. That seems to be the right choice.
Playoffs already?

Trivia: without looking up.

Can you name the 7 players since 1980 to have multiple back to back titles?

I think Gary Payton played over Williams in crunch time, had one big game in the Finals if I remember correctly.
Williams was coming off some injuries late in the year and Payton got a lot of playing time earlier in the playoffs, but I don't remember GP doing anything much in the Finals. He did have at least one good game in the ECF against the Pistons (game 1 I think) and then Williams had that big game in game 6 to help clinch the series.

Users who are viewing this thread