What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (3 Viewers)

Chicago is so overrated,in a nutshell:

- A great defensive coach and one star.

That is the end of it. They won't go far with that. Certainly they don't stand a chance against Boston, New York, or Orlando.

Here is their record when they held opponents under 100 points:

42-6

Great record. No question.

Here is their record when opponents score more than 100 points:

2-12

The only two wins are overtime games.

What does this mean? They can't outscore anyone. They are doomed to lose when the opponent runs up the score. Rose can get you points, but that is the end of it.

In the two wins Knicks got against them they scored 120 points and 102 points. Say what you want about MD, but he is an offensive genius. And the Knicks have offensive players. There simply is no way, NO WAY, Chicago can hold the Knicks 4 times under 100 points. That simply won't happen.

Look at NY recent losses: Dallas game scored 109, Cleveland games scored 100+. NY loses when they are outscored (insert joke). End of story. Chicago can't bring that weak offense and dump 100+ on NY.

Here is what you want if you are Chicago: Philly in the first round, Miami in the second round. You can beat them with defense and a sucky offense. Doesn't matter whether they face Orlando or Boston in the conference finals. They will lose with that miserable offense.

Here is what NY should want: Chicago in the first round. Miami in the second round.

Chicago is so overrated,in a nutshell:- A great defensive coach and one star. That is the end of it. They won't go far with that. Certainly they don't stand a chance against Boston, New York, or Orlando. Here is their record when they held opponents under 100 points:42-6Great record. No question.Here is their record when opponents score more than 100 points:2-12The only two wins are overtime games.What does this mean? They can't outscore anyone. They are doomed to lose when the opponent runs up the score. Rose can get you points, but that is the end of it. In the two wins Knicks got against them they scored 120 points and 102 points. Say what you want about MD, but he is an offensive genius. And the Knicks have offensive players. There simply is no way, NO WAY, Chicago can hold the Knicks 4 times under 100 points. That simply won't happen. Look at NY recent losses: Dallas game scored 109, Cleveland games scored 100+. NY loses when they are outscored (insert joke). End of story. Chicago can't bring that weak offense and dump 100+ on NY. Here is what you want if you are Chicago: Philly in the first round, Miami in the second round. You can beat them with defense and a sucky offense. Doesn't matter whether they face Orlando or Boston in the conference finals. They will lose with that miserable offense. Here is what NY should want: Chicago in the first round. Miami in the second round.
The Knicks score 108 points per 100 possessions. They give up 106.5 points per 100 possessions.The Bulls score 104 points per 100 possessions. They give up 97 points per 100 possessions.Your point is that since the Knicks are a better offensive team that the Bulls can't beat them? :confused:

'Gr00vus said:
'timschochet said:
Well, Gr00vus predicted this. I thought it would be a close Laker victory, but I can't say I'm surprised. Andrew Bynum didn't start playing until the 2nd half, and that really cost the Lakers. Will this game end the Heat's problems? They did a lot of things I liked- going to Bosh a lot in the 1st half, going to Wade toward the end. If they continue to do that, will it make up for their shortcomings?
:bye: EZ money.The Laker offense was horrible/stupid. Kobe tried to make a point and probably cost the Lakers a W as a result. Lakers get beat on the glass and outscored in the paint. Against the Heat that's inexcusable. Crummy games from Artest and Blake (is he totally useless now or what?).
I agree that Kobe letting his ego get in the way of decision-making hurt the Lakers down the stretch, but it is the Lakers getting beat on the boards and in the paint which cost them the game, especially in the first half. Bynum had 1 rebound in the first half and Miami had 12 offensive boards in the first half alone (Mike Miller had three). Frankly, I expect Kobe to be outplayed by his counterpart (or at least played to a draw) when the Lakers play the Heat, but the I also expect the Lakers to be able to control the glass and the paint against Miami. I think that's a bigger reason for the loss. Not that it means that I'm happy with a number of Kobe's choices in the 4th quarter. As far as him practicing after the game? Don't really care - it's not as if his willingness to work has been in question. I probably would have preferred he get some rest as today's game against Dallas is a big one in the grand scheme of the season.

I certainly don't watch the Knicks or Bulls as much as many of you here, but from what I've seen, the Bulls are clearly a better team and I don't think the Knicks have a very good chance of beating them over a 7 game series. I can't imagine why anyone would favor them to do so. The Knicks play no defense; that kills you in the playoffs.

I agree that Kobe letting his ego get in the way of decision-making hurt the Lakers down the stretch, but it is the Lakers getting beat on the boards and in the paint which cost them the game, especially in the first half. Bynum had 1 rebound in the first half and Miami had 12 offensive boards in the first half alone (Mike Miller had three). Frankly, I expect Kobe to be outplayed by his counterpart (or at least played to a draw) when the Lakers play the Heat, but the I also expect the Lakers to be able to control the glass and the paint against Miami. I think that's a bigger reason for the loss. Not that it means that I'm happy with a number of Kobe's choices in the 4th quarter. As far as him practicing after the game? Don't really care - it's not as if his willingness to work has been in question. I probably would have preferred he get some rest as today's game against Dallas is a big one in the grand scheme of the season.
This. I was working and following the game via gamecenter, and I was blown away by Bynum's numbers at the half. Seems like he picked it up in the 2nd half, but there's absolutely no excuse for him having 1 board in any half of any game.

Chicago is so overrated,in a nutshell:- A great defensive coach and one star.
You realize that for the playoffs this isn't so bad? Combine it with some good rebounding and you have a formula for doing pretty well.
His argument is if your team scores lots of points, it will beat any team that doesn't score lots of points. The only teams that can beat a high scoring team is another high scoring team.It is nonsensical. Defense and pace make no difference with him.Besides, the Bulls are obviously more than Thibodeau and Rose. Noah, Deng, Boozer, a second unit that plays incredible defense, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minute, Kobe took and missed some incredibly stupid shots down the stretch against the Heat but Lakers fan should love him for practicing his shot afterwards? :confused:
Don't be stupid.
It was all for show. He knew the cameras were rolling.
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/3/11/2044517/kobe-bryant-practicing-cameras
What a crock - not surprised to see that the author is a Kings beat writer.Had this been Larry Bird, the workout would bring universal praise. But since it's the modern day Darth Vader, haters throw their shoulders out reaching for ways to criticize Kobe's motivations.Lots of guys in the NBA have Kobe's physical talent. None have his combination of desire, focus, work ethic, and confidence. Sometimes that leads to questionable shot selection at inopportune times. More often it leads to big plays and victories.

42-6

2-12

What does this mean? They can't outscore anyone. They are doomed to lose when the opponent runs up the score.
Last point about this: the Bulls record when outscoring their opponents is 46-18. The Knicks record when they outscore their opponents is 34-30.

This. I was working and following the game via gamecenter, and I was blown away by Bynum's numbers at the half. Seems like he picked it up in the 2nd half, but there's absolutely no excuse for him having 1 board in any half of any game.
The Heat becomes a very good rebounding team when Wade, James and Miller don't have to worry about helping out on opposing PGs, as is the case with the Lakers. In addition, Miami PGs outscored the Laker PGs 15-7. I think Miami just matches up well against the Lakers, but not against the Celtics because of Rondo.

The Heat becomes a very good rebounding team when Wade, James and Miller don't have to worry about helping out on opposing PGs, as is the case with the Lakers. In addition, Miami PGs outscored the Laker PGs 15-7. I think Miami just matches up well against the Lakers, but not against the Celtics because of Rondo.
Excellant point. While the Heat obviously have a hole in the middle, LeBron is probably the best rebounding SF in the history of basketball, and Wade is above average from the 2 spot. That certainly helps cover what is a big weakness on paper.

42-6

2-12

What does this mean? They can't outscore anyone. They are doomed to lose when the opponent runs up the score.
Last point about this: the Bulls record when outscoring their opponents is 46-18. The Knicks record when they outscore their opponents is 34-30.
:goodposting:

There is no doubt that the Bulls offense is the biggest reason they could lose in the playoffs. They are an average offense. However, they have the best defense in the league (with the Celtics having an argument as well). The 04 Pistons won a title with almost exactly the same ratings on both sides of the court. The 08 Celtics were similar as were the 99 Spurs in depending on a stellar defense and a less then stellar offense. All of those teams were 10th or worst in offensive rating on basketball-reference. The only team that has been lower then 9th in defensive rating in the last decade or so is the 01 Lakers who happened to have the best defensive rating in the playoffs that year.

The Bulls should not be the favorite in anybody's mind. I am just glad that I actually believe they have a chance to beat any team in a series.

42-6

2-12

Pretty sure the Bulls are undefeated when they outscore their opponents.

The Bulls should not be the favorite in anybody's mind.
ESPN's John Hollinger has a Playoff Odds predictor application that updates daily. According to it, here are the odds to win the championship among the top teams:Bulls 23.0%Lakers 19.8San Antonio 13.6Celtics 9.6Miami 8.3Dallas 7.2Orlando 5.5Personally, I've gone back and forth on who the favorite is. At various points in the season, I've thought it was the Heat, Lakers, Spurs or Celtics. I still don't think the Bulls are the favorites but that idea isn't out of the question anymore.

42-6

2-12

Pretty sure the Bulls are undefeated when they outscore their opponents.
Good point.

Wait a minute, Kobe took and missed some incredibly stupid shots down the stretch against the Heat but Lakers fan should love him for practicing his shot afterwards? :confused:
Don't be stupid.
It was all for show. He knew the cameras were rolling.
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/3/11/2044517/kobe-bryant-practicing-cameras
There is no doubt that Kobe is an insane egomaniac. But isn't that what makes him so good? Seriously.

ESPN's John Hollinger has a Playoff Odds predictor application that updates daily. According to it, here are the odds to win the championship among the top teams:Bulls 23.0%Lakers 19.8San Antonio 13.6Celtics 9.6Miami 8.3Dallas 7.2Orlando 5.5Personally, I've gone back and forth on who the favorite is. At various points in the season, I've thought it was the Heat, Lakers, Spurs or Celtics. I still don't think the Bulls are the favorites but that idea isn't out of the question anymore.
This is way this is one of the best NBA seasons ever. Seriously, soooo many good teams, but no one really sticks out right now. However, this about the time that the true contenders start to fire it up and peak as a team so we'll find out soon who is for real. With the Warriors on the way to the lottery again, I'll be cheering for the Bulls during the playoffs. They're like a less annoying version of the Celtics. An actual team that meshes almost perfectly and always plays tough and with passion. I'm thinking the Finals will be between the Spurs (if Manu can stay healthy) and the Bulls or Celtics.

This is way this is one of the best NBA seasons ever. Seriously, soooo many good teams, but no one really sticks out right now. However, this about the time that the true contenders start to fire it up and peak as a team so we'll find out soon who is for real. With the Warriors on the way to the lottery again, I'll be cheering for the Bulls during the playoffs. They're like a less annoying version of the Celtics. An actual team that meshes almost perfectly and always plays tough and with passion. I'm thinking the Finals will be between the Spurs (if Manu can stay healthy) and the Bulls or Celtics.
The playoffs should be really good, but there also may be a lot of games like the Lakers vs. Spurs last weekend- where the better team wins easily. That result tends to happen whenever sports features situations like these. Still, the anticipation will be intense. I don't think the Spurs (or anyone else) can beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. ETA, of course they CAN, I just don't think they wiil.

The playoffs should be really good, but there also may be a lot of games like the Lakers vs. Spurs last weekend- where the better team wins easily. That result tends to happen whenever sports features situations like these. Still, the anticipation will be intense. I don't think the Spurs (or anyone else) can beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. ETA, of course they CAN, I just don't think they wiil.
I just don't see the fire or "it" factor in the Lakers at the moment. Again, let's see how they finish out the season, but I just see a really disjointed team. The talent disparity between the top teams is pretty insignificant so the "it" factor, cohesion, etc is the main deciding factor to me. The teams that have "it" are the Celtics, Bulls, and Spurs and that's why their my favorites right now.

I just don't see the fire or "it" factor in the Lakers at the moment. Again, let's see how they finish out the season, but I just see a really disjointed team. The talent disparity between the top teams is pretty insignificant so the "it" factor, cohesion, etc is the main deciding factor to me. The teams that have "it" are the Celtics, Bulls, and Spurs and that's why their my favorites right now.
The "it" for the Lakers is Andrew Bynum. If he comes to play, they are unbeatable. If he decides to take a half off (as he did in Miami the other night) then they are just another good team.

I'm not letting the front line guys off the hook, but the Lakers were tied with 3 minutes left despite that and Kobe pretty much sucked it, along with Artest.As for him shooting afterward, I think he just needed to try and get his head together after a crummy showing. It had to be killing him that he couldn't take over the game and win it at the end. I keep waiting for him to learn a lesson from things like this but he doesn't, and let's be honest, at this point why would he think he needs to?

Anyway, the bigger game is tonight. They have to win if they want a shot at the 2 seed in the west. The Heat game was a nice to have, tonight is more of a must have. It'll be interesting to see what Laker team shows up.

You realize that for the playoffs this isn't so bad? Combine it with some good rebounding and you have a formula for doing pretty well.
His argument is if your team scores lots of points, it will beat any team that doesn't score lots of points. The only teams that can beat a high scoring team is another high scoring team. It is nonsensical. Defense and pace make no difference with him.Besides, the Bulls are obviously more than Thibodeau and Rose. Noah, Deng, Boozer, a second unit that plays incredible defense, etc.
With the all the 3 point shots (leads to long rebounds) the Knicks take it helps to neutralize the rebounding ability of the Bulls. The Bulls are a good team I just dont think that thier team will go far in the playoffs

Do you think it was out of the question for Jazz fans to consider themselves the favorite last year?

Do you think it was out of the question for Jazz fans to consider themselves the favorite last year?
Yes. Why? Did Hollinger predict they were a likely champion?

:thumbup: More likely than the Lakers and Celtics combined if I remember correctly.

His argument is if your team scores lots of points, it will beat any team that doesn't score lots of points. The only teams that can beat a high scoring team is another high scoring team. It is nonsensical. Defense and pace make no difference with him.Besides, the Bulls are obviously more than Thibodeau and Rose. Noah, Deng, Boozer, a second unit that plays incredible defense, etc.
With the all the 3 point shots (leads to long rebounds) the Knicks take it helps to neutralize the rebounding ability of the Bulls. The Bulls are a good team I just dont think that thier team will go far in the playoffs
The Knicks are one of the worst rebounding teams in the league -- 71.8% defensive rebounding rate, 24.4% offensive. The Bulls are one of the best -- 76.4% defensive, 29.2% offensive. Why will the season long trends suddenly change? The Knicks have shot a lot of 3 pointers all year.

:thumbup: More likely than the Lakers and Celtics combined if I remember correctly.
Interesting. I didn't know that. These days I think the Lakers might be the favorites although it will be extremely hard for them to make it through if they are a 3 seed.

Like mentioned by others, I don't put any stock in Hollinger. There is something off about everything he does.The Bulls haven't been past round 1 in a couple years. While some of them have playoff experience, it is a lot to name the Bulls favorites with a new coach, such a young leader, and a lack of big game experience. I do think they can win it all and there may not be favorite this year. I just can't bring myself to think they have the best chance. We won't know if they are a championship level team until we know if that makes any sense.

He came down on Marion and fell awkwardly.

ETA escorted to the locker room, limping quite badly.

Users who are viewing this thread