What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (10 Viewers)

Lebron James has looked very shaky down the stretch of this game. Can everyone agree on that?
Seriously, he forced one bad shot. I guess it was shaky compared to the rest of his playoffs.
He missed 2 shots in the last 30 seconds and then 2 free throws into overtime, sure he does amazing things for much of the game but...closing seconds I just am nervous when he has the ball.
Wade bricked several big FTs in the critical moments of the game and kept BOS hope alive. Pierce put his team at risk by committing stupid fouls, repeatedly. KG was completely invisible in crunch time. If you look hard enough, everyone has rough stretches.

Way for Wilbon to diss the Heat in the 1st 10 seconds... :lmao: "Not like the Heat with only a 20 year history" Mike, go bleep yourself buddy, Heat have a rich tradition and a title, way for Wilbon to show what a world class jackass he is on national TV. TNT rocks ESPN any day of the week.
Wilbon is from Chicago...what do you expect? :P He has slowly turned into a jagoff over the years. I think him working for ESPN and now with Magic Johnson has given him a huge head.

Last edited by a moderator:
This ESPN show is awful. Is this shtick? Has this been their show all year? Is somebody sick or something?
What is interesting... Stephen A Smith had an epic rant about how bad the refs were post game after the first Celts/Heat.... within 12 hours the link to the video online removed, no trace of it left behind. Obviously you are seeing a different post game tonight

i just accidentally flipped over to the NHL finals and saw a 6 seed was playing an 8 seed.WTF is wrong with that league?that's disgusting.The BEST part about the NBA is that the champion is almost always the best team, we don't see gross upsets very often.I realize that an 8 seed beat a one seed this year, but that was obviously due to a big injury.the 8 seed didn't continue to win
The 76ers (8) have some stuff going for them... but they had ZERO business being anywhere near the NBA finals. I don't think that's exactly true of the NHLs Kings and Devils.
I don't profess to knowing much about the NHL but I can say one of the things that draws me in and makes me want to know more about the sport is the fact that a 6 or 8 seed routinely makes it to the Stanley Cup Finals. These teams are awesome, the level of some of the hockey has been thru the roof. I think it is one of the selling points. Problem in the NBA is that a few players dominate almost all the time so those players tend to make to the Finals and run away from the rest of the pack. In the NHL there are a lot of stars but also a lot of lunch pail types that grind it out on a nightly basis, the teams have 4 lines unlike B-Ball which has a 7 or 8 man rotation at most, hard to compare them really. Aaron would have an interesting take on this but I would bet he loves the fact that lower seeds can actually advance. It makes the 1st round of the playoffs so exciting in the NHL.

This ESPN show is awful. Is this shtick? Has this been their show all year? Is somebody sick or something?
:lmao: The best thing I can say about it is the zero combined airtime for Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith. I'd bet on Michael J Fox winning the World Series of Jenga before I'd bet on these clowns saying something insightful in a half-hour of airtime.
:lmao:I seriously have not seen this all year. This is horrendous. Are these jokers doing the pregame for the Finals? It's like ESPN is just giving everybody a big middle finger now. "you'll watch anyways, #### you"

Last edited by a moderator:
Better team won. I thought some of the calls were bogus, but you can't slide by on the road in the conference finals. You have to win by jumping on the home teams throat. That's the point of home court advantage. The home team should get the calls.

Doesn't Magic own like 2 professional sports franchises? Why is he doing this ####? I never saw Wellington Mara host Inside the NFL. And who says right after the game "I really want to hear what Chris Broussard has to say". What is going on here?

i just accidentally flipped over to the NHL finals and saw a 6 seed was playing an 8 seed.WTF is wrong with that league?that's disgusting.The BEST part about the NBA is that the champion is almost always the best team, we don't see gross upsets very often.I realize that an 8 seed beat a one seed this year, but that was obviously due to a big injury.the 8 seed didn't continue to win
Hockey is more of a team sport. HTH.

Better team won. I thought some of the calls were bogus, but you can't slide by on the road in the conference finals. You have to win by jumping on the home teams throat. That's the point of home court advantage. The home team should get the calls.
That's what I find wrong with the NBA. Calls should be made no matter where/who when they happen.

:lmao: The best thing I can say about it is the zero combined airtime for Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith. I'd bet on Michael J Fox winning the World Series of Jenga before I'd bet on these clowns saying something insightful in a half-hour of airtime.
For ####s and giggles, I just did a search to see what Skip Bayless tweeted after the game. Firstly, he apparently goes by Real Skip Bayless on twitter. :lmao: Secondly, he tweeted this: Nightmare starts again for LeBron. Missed layup, easy jumper over 6-1 Rondo to win game in regulation. Rondo alone not enough in OT vs Wade.LeBron's old insecurity rears its ugly head: He was afraid to take Rondo to the rim at end of reg - afraid to have to shoot 2 FTs to win.' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 76ers (8) have some stuff going for them... but they had ZERO business being anywhere near the NBA finals. I don't think that's exactly true of the NHLs Kings and Devils.
I don't profess to knowing much about the NHL but I can say one of the things that draws me in and makes me want to know more about the sport is the fact that a 6 or 8 seed routinely makes it to the Stanley Cup Finals. These teams are awesome, the level of some of the hockey has been thru the roof. I think it is one of the selling points. Problem in the NBA is that a few players dominate almost all the time so those players tend to make to the Finals and run away from the rest of the pack. In the NHL there are a lot of stars but also a lot of lunch pail types that grind it out on a nightly basis, the teams have 4 lines unlike B-Ball which has a 7 or 8 man rotation at most, hard to compare them really. Aaron would have an interesting take on this but I would bet he loves the fact that lower seeds can actually advance. It makes the 1st round of the playoffs so exciting in the NHL.
It's called a hard salary cap - no monkey business like the NBA - any team can build a winner and the differences are not that big - for LA their goalie is extremely focused in these playoffs and that is what is putting them over the top.

Doesn't Magic own like 2 professional sports franchises? Why is he doing this ####? I never saw Wellington Mara host Inside the NFL. And who says right after the game "I really want to hear what Chris Broussard has to say". What is going on here?
He's trying to stay in the public eye. With Arsenio Hall winning Celebrity Apprentice and rumors of a possible return to late-night TV, he's going to need a sidekick.
Welcome to MLB tonight, with your host, John Henry. Give it a break Earvin.

The home team should get the calls.
Good point Abe, why would anyone want the game to be called fairly... The other idea I had as well was for the visiting team to have to wear ankle weights
Quit being so dramatic. You are fooling yourself and being naivie of you think every call is always going to be 100% indisputably correct. I'm fine with the home team getting their fair share. And you will be too when Boston wins game 3 thanks to some sketchy home cooking.

Not to mention he owns Rent A Center, they steal millions from poor people every year

Not to mention he owns Rent A Center, they steal millions from poor people every year
He loves it. He should buy that crappy Amscot place. Everytime I drive by there, it's packed.

Good point Abe, why would anyone want the game to be called fairly... The other idea I had as well was for the visiting team to have to wear ankle weights
Quit being so dramatic. You are fooling yourself and being naivie of you think every call is always going to be 100% indisputably correct. I'm fine with the home team getting their fair share. And you will be too when Boston wins game 3 thanks to some sketchy home cooking.
Actually, no. Celts won Game 5 vs Philly and the calls were horrendously in their favor, was painful to watch. That is what you are missing... a true sports fan wants a fairly called game, seeing either team get an unfair advantage, whether it is your team or not, is not why we watch

Actually, no. Celts won Game 5 vs Philly and the calls were horrendously in their favor, was painful to watch. That is what you are missing... a true sports fan wants a fairly called game, seeing either team get an unfair advantage, whether it is your team or not, is not why we watch
The heat missed enough free throws that it didn't matter. Celtics had their chances and blew it.

So first it is, 'refs should be giving the home team more calls, they are playing on their home court after all'

and now it is

'it shouldn't matter that the refs give the Heat more calls, they were only shooting 70% from the line after all'

They only missed a lot of free throws because they were there the whole game.

Seriously. Bird has aged far more gracefully. Its embarrassing.

So first it is, 'refs should be giving the home team more calls, they are playing on their home court after all'and now it is'it shouldn't matter that the refs give the Heat more calls, they were only shooting 70% from the line after all'They only missed a lot of free throws because they were there the whole game.
Stop it already. Wade and James were going hard to the basket almost every play. They were getting fouled almost every time because Boston has no way to stop them. They should've been shooting that many free throws. Did the refs miss a few calls, yes. They do every game. Sometimes it goes in your favor, sometimes not. However, if you want to force the refs to look at you closely, you have to be aggressive. Miami had two guys doing that on every play. Boston had one guy doing that half the time and the settled for jumpers the rest of the time. No big surprise that Miami was getting more calls.

Can someone please explain to me why Billy King would deal what turned out to be the Nets #6 overall pick for 2 months of Gerald Wallace? How does he still have a job? What the hell Proky.....guys get sent to Siberia for less!

:lmao:I seriously have not seen this all year. This is horrendous. Are these jokers doing the pregame for the Finals? It's like ESPN is just giving everybody a big middle finger now. "you'll watch anyways, #### you"
Jon Barry thinks what he says is important.

Can someone please explain to me why Billy King would deal what turned out to be the Nets #6 overall pick for 2 months of Gerald Wallace? How does he still have a job? What the hell Proky.....guys get sent to Siberia for less!
I think everyone's been wanting to know that for a few months now.Wallace is a decent nba player, but of zero worth to a rebuilding franchise.

So first it is, 'refs should be giving the home team more calls, they are playing on their home court after all'and now it is'it shouldn't matter that the refs give the Heat more calls, they were only shooting 70% from the line after all'They only missed a lot of free throws because they were there the whole game.
For what its worth, Miami should almost always have a significant FT advantage over Boston. The Celtics shoot lots of jump shots and the Heat go to the hoop a lot, because of that they'll get fouled much more often.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nba-s-problematic-ownership-of-hornets-opens-door-to-rigged-talk-over-draft-lottery-20120531.html

"It's such a joke that the league made the new owners be at the lottery for the show," one high-ranking team executive told Yahoo! Sports. "The league still owns the Hornets. Ask their front office if new owners can make a trade right now. They can't. This is a joke."
I'm not up on the NBA rules like most people in this thread probably are, but can any teams make a trade while the playoffs are going on? I would guess no.

Read an interesting article today stating that the rockets were pissed about the Paul veto because they had it lined up to bring on Marc gasol of pau was on the team. That wouldn't have won the title, but would have been interesting.

As it is, I see then trading the two picks to get high enough to take beal or even gilcrest. I can only hope.

With the way Garnett, Pierce and Allen attack the paint, how can anyone be surprised they get fouled less than the Heat?

Rondo shoots the most shots in the paint for the Celtics.

Read an interesting article today stating that the rockets were pissed about the Paul veto because they had it lined up to bring on Marc gasol of pau was on the team. That wouldn't have won the title, but would have been interesting. As it is, I see then trading the two picks to get high enough to take beal or even gilcrest. I can only hope.
I'm pissed off about it too! If it wasn't for that veto it would be the Lakers losing to San Antonio now, not Oklahoma City, dammit.

Read an interesting article today stating that the rockets were pissed about the Paul veto because they had it lined up to bring on Marc gasol of pau was on the team. That wouldn't have won the title, but would have been interesting. As it is, I see then trading the two picks to get high enough to take beal or even gilcrest. I can only hope.
Why would they need Beal when they have a deadly sharpshooter like Kevin Martin??I'll hang up and listen.

Van Gundy just pointed out that last play was LeBron's first post up of the game. I don't get that. A guy with that size and strength- why doesn't he post up more often?
He brings the ball up the floor a lot, that doesn't help. He rotates around the floor a lot and plays at least 4 and sometimes 5 positions. It's a big hole in his game, no doubt.
It just seems like it would be a continual mismatch if he did it more often.
I think his size/strength/quickness mismatch is a bigger deal on the perimeter. He should be posting up a little bit, but hes so effective around the perimeter that I wouldn't force him to change his game.
Pete Newell just turned over in his grave.

What is interesting... Stephen A Smith had an epic rant about how bad the refs were post game after the first Celts/Heat.... within 12 hours the link to the video online removed, no trace of it left behind. Obviously you are seeing a different post game tonight
Found it...ESPN has removed it, but someone had it on TIVOhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GqmoQPfISQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Keep hoping. Those picks aren't moving you up.

Van Gundy just pointed out that last play was LeBron's first post up of the game. I don't get that. A guy with that size and strength- why doesn't he post up more often?
He brings the ball up the floor a lot, that doesn't help. He rotates around the floor a lot and plays at least 4 and sometimes 5 positions. It's a big hole in his game, no doubt.
It just seems like it would be a continual mismatch if he did it more often.
I think his size/strength/quickness mismatch is a bigger deal on the perimeter. He should be posting up a little bit, but hes so effective around the perimeter that I wouldn't force him to change his game.
Pete Newell just turned over in his grave.
If nothing else (and I don't agree with kev at all), scoring in the post requires less energy and will put less wear and tear on him, allowing to play more minutes and extend his career.

Stop it already. Wade and James were going hard to the basket almost every play. They were getting fouled almost every time because Boston has no way to stop them. They should've been shooting that many free throws. Did the refs miss a few calls, yes. They do every game. Sometimes it goes in your favor, sometimes not. However, if you want to force the refs to look at you closely, you have to be aggressive. Miami had two guys doing that on every play. Boston had one guy doing that half the time and the settled for jumpers the rest of the time. No big surprise that Miami was getting more calls.
Miami should have a FT advantage most games I agree. It's the nature of the team.But Rondo was attacking as much as anyone that game and Pierce was attacking a lot too. Pierce is only able to get to the line when someone other than James is in the vicinity so he'll get there a bit less. But even so the disparity was surprising because the Celtics were attacking a lot.

This is exactly what is wrong with the NBA. The officiating is a joke. Its not always against the Celtics, sometimes it is bad in their favor too, but it shouldn't be this God awful where it repeatedly has an affect on the outcome of games. The only good thing about the Celtics fading back to mediocrity for me will be that I can begin to lose interest in the NBA as a whole. Its nauseating to think that some people are ok with and even expect officiating to play a role in the outcome.

After taking the night to sleep on it...a few things... First, I am not going to be that upset if the Heat win this series, frankly they are probably the better team. What makes it nearly impossible to watch as a sports fan is how much of an advantage they are given by referees. I honestly can't understand why people defend them so ardently.

-Lebron has 9 fouls in his last 8 playoff games. This for one of the most aggressive defenders in the NBA. No other player is even close to this number.

-In the playoffs so far, the Heat have had 5 technicals called against them, and have been the recipient of 26. More than a 5:1 advantage. Read that one a couple times.

-You have a player like Lebron who shoots 24 free throws last night, the most against the Celtics since the 80s.

-You have a player like Pierce, the team's best player (arguably) and captain, who jumps straight up and has Wade out of control barrel into him and get his 6th foul, they now have to play the rest of the game, inclusing overtime without him.

-You have a play like Rondo's last night, Rondo drives, it is the only thing going on in the entire court so you would assume it has the attention of all of the referees. This happens http://i50.tinypic.com/2mzgtwm.png . No call, Wade quickly advances the ball and ends up with a 3 point play, 5 point swing in overtime. 5 point swings in overtime are the definition of 'game changers'.

Then you have guys like Ferris and Abe say the Heat deserve all of that, they are playing at home and that's how the NBA works and if the Celtics can't overcome it they don't deserve to win anyway. What I can't get is how any sports fan, in the rawest sense, in the sense of enjoying competition for competition's sake, excuses all of this? I don't blame the Heat, Lebron and Wade - they are just exploiting what is obvious to anyone on the court and most fans. Then you have a guy like Stephen A Smith who I am certain has been told throughout his career, do not criticize the guys playing the bills...finally even he can't take it, let's off on a big rant on air, and within a few hours all traces of his rant are gone, he is more or less banished off the air, and the talking heads ignore any of the above on their post game last night.

It has never been like this in the NBA. NBA refs have a clear history of rigging the games, that has all been documented and I won't rehash it all, but even then they were more subtle about it.

Users who are viewing this thread