What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA Basketball Thread - 2022-3 Season (5 Viewers)

whoknew

Footballguy
Didn't see a thread for this yet. But the college basketball season starts tonight.

Kenpom top 20:

1. Kentucky
  2. Texas
  3. Gonzaga
  4. Tennessee
  5. UVA
  6. Baylor
  7. Houston
  8. Kansas
  9. UNC
  10. Arizona
  11. UCLA
  12. Indiana
  13. Auburn
  14. Arkansas
  15. Duke
  16. TCU
  17. Alabama
  18. SDSU
  19. Villanova
  20. VaTech
---

Just watched the Michigan Wolverines beat Purdue-Fort Wayne. Jett Howard - true freshman and coach's son - looked great.

Gonzaga is returning 40-something year old Drew Timme so they should be good, but third seems to high to me. They got thumped by Tennessee in a scrimmage a week ago.

The defending champion Kansas Jayhawks might be better than last year. Grady **** is no joke.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk K Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu……..

Just got back from Cincinnati opening game. Only lost one starter and got three fifth year transfers, all who looked pretty good tonight. I think this is going to be a fun team to watch.

Crazy take, but I think Duke will be BETTER with their new young coach than with coach K. :scared:
Saw just enough of last night's game to see that they had five transfers/free agent acquisitions this year. Freaking Duke recruits like 15 of the top 10 high school kids every year and now they're getting everyone else's top recruits too?

Maryland won their first game against Niagara, kicking off the Kevin Willard Era.

I don't know much yet about the team. Donta Scott and Hakim Hart are the best returning players (seems like each has been there for 8 years), and they are supposed to have a transfer that's good. I've seen them picked anywhere from 6-10th in the B1G.

Among their OOC games, they have St Louis, Louisville, Tennessee, and UCLA.

I'll be interested to see Williard's style here. I saw a bit of his Seton Hall teams: they seemed to play a rough-and-tumble style with lots of upper classmen featured. He should be able to recruit better athletes at MD, so we'll see if he sticks to that method or morphs it into something else.

last season feels like forever ago

did not realize that Georgetown was on a 21-game losing streak until taking down Coppin State in OT last night.

:blackdot:

Boiler Up

Will be interesting to see how the new mix of freshmen, redshirt and transfer guys is going to mesh with the returning starters. I liked what I saw last night. I think they'll be fine offensively. Defense is the big question mark.

Minutes away from tipping it off on the USS Abe Lincoln on Veterans Day...MSU v. Gonzaga...should be a fun watch. GOGREEN

Last edited:
Minutes away from tipping it off on the USS Abe Lincoln on Veterans Day...MSU v. Gonzaga...should be a fun watch. GOGREEN
Love this game every year. Amazing they get to do this.
Good game. Unranked MSU took the #2 team down to the last possession and could have won it. Horrible final set. Ah well. Sissoko going to be a beast this year.

MSU organized it. They do a fantastic job with this type game every Veterans Day.
I did not know that. And yes they do. Love how they set that whole thing up and use what…..like 30% of the flight deck? Amazing.

MSU organized it. They do a fantastic job with this type game every Veterans Day.
I did not know that. And yes they do. Love how they set that whole thing up and use what…..like 30% of the flight deck? Amazing.
Yea the first one was in 2011 MSU v. N Carolina

I just can't believe in the Kentucky wildcats and I root for them. They drubbed the eventual national champs AT Kansas last year and then just went quietly into the night after that. They always have major talent and some epic seasons but honestly should have won 2-3 more championships since Cal has been there. The success of how he runs it just seems to work against him and somehow, they will come up small.

I just can't believe in the Kentucky wildcats and I root for them. They drubbed the eventual national champs AT Kansas last year and then just went quietly into the night after that. They always have major talent and some epic seasons but honestly should have won 2-3 more championships since Cal has been there. The success of how he runs it just seems to work against him and somehow, they will come up small.
He collects talent. He does not build teams. Until he’s willing to recruit some 3 star guys and have some seniors to mix in it won’t ever change. He’s not a good enough coach.

did not realize that Georgetown was on a 21-game losing streak until taking down Coppin State in OT last night.
Unfortunately, I think Ewing's days are numbered unless that program turns it around this season. I was really hoping he'd do well, but something's been off there since Day One.

He collects talent. He does not build teams. Until he’s willing to recruit some 3 star guys and have some seniors to mix in it won’t ever change. He’s not a good enough coach.
I think he's a really good coach overall, but he needs to recruit shooters. His teams traditionally play good defense and can run. Having some good jump-shooters when they get in tight games against good teams would help, though.

I dunno......the older I get, the more I think judging coaches/programs solely by NCAAT titles doesn't paint a complete picture. That tournament is a total crapshoot in the modern era. It's also set up as the complete opposite of what the regular season is. I put more stock in overall wins and regular season conference championships when I'm rating a coach. Now, it just so happens that most of the coaches these days who win national titles also win a ton of games and conference titles. I just stress the latter more than I do the former.

There are lots of folks who think Bill Self, Izzo, Coach K, Roy, Dean Smith, John Thompson, Boeheim, and others should have won more NCAATs. It's not just Calipari. It's really hard to win that thing and it often involves a lot of luck.

:blackdot:

Boiler Up

Will be interesting to see how the new mix of freshmen, redshirt and transfer guys is going to mesh with the returning starters. I liked what I saw last night. I think they'll be fine offensively. Defense is the big question mark.
Sort of a ho-hum outing last night. They handled business, I guess, as they should vs. Austin Peay but not much to get excited about from what I saw. Edey had a big night dropping 30 points and grabbing 11 boards. But that 30 was about half the team's total output which is worrisome. And as a 7'4" dude, he ought to accidentally get double digit boards. I only watched about half of the game, but I was not impressed with this team. Hopefully they make progress quickly.

I think he's a really good coach overall, but he needs to recruit shooters. His teams traditionally play good defense and can run. Having some good jump-shooters when they get in tight games against good teams would help, though.

I dunno......the older I get, the more I think judging coaches/programs solely by NCAAT titles doesn't paint a complete picture. That tournament is a total crapshoot in the modern era. It's also set up as the complete opposite of what the regular season is. I put more stock in overall wins and regular season conference championships when I'm rating a coach. Now, it just so happens that most of the coaches these days who win national titles also win a ton of games and conference titles. I just stress the latter more than I do the former.

There are lots of folks who think Bill Self, Izzo, Coach K, Roy, Dean Smith, John Thompson, Boeheim, and others should have won more NCAATs. It's not just Calipari. It's really hard to win that thing and it often involves a lot of luck.
He's had some incredible shooters. The NBA is flush with former wildcats that are amazing players. Just in the past few years-booker, herro, maxey, fox, johnson,. Incredible list. BUT, it's always the same. So much talent that doesn't stay but a New York minute and then start over. Never there long enough to master the dribble drive. Never enough time for the coach to change to the particular composition. Just always out of sync.

But yeah, the tournament is not what it was a few decades ago but there still remains a certain expectation when a program has one of those handful of elite coaches. The Cats are usually very good and we are thankful to have them but we also have become a victim of our own high expectations. And when those expectations are legitimately within reach, it's harder to accept the shortcomings. The undefeated team, the double starter team, even last year's team for about a 10 week period. So much...Potential (which is apparently a French word that means 'hasnt done crap yet').

Michigan State is in the ‘champions classic’ every year and yet they have one title in 40 years and even that was like 22 years ago. I’m sure it is 100% just tv ratings but why isn’t a team like UNC in it instead?

Big O is a baaaad man despite the loss. Welcome back Oscar!

Maybe Emoni Bates can't do it all for EMU, bad loss vs Bradley.

Louisville 0-3 with loses against Bellermine, App State and Wright State. Yikes. Next 4 games, they get to play Arkansas, Maryland, Miami FL, and Florida State.

Big O is a baaaad man despite the loss. Welcome back Oscar!

Maybe Emoni Bates can't do it all for EMU, bad loss vs Bradley.

Louisville 0-3 with loses against Bellermine, App State and Wright State. Yikes. Next 4 games, they get to play Arkansas, Maryland, Miami FL, and Florida State.
Wow Bellermine? Yikes

Anyone else watching the John C Smith vs Clark Atlanta game on ESPNU?

No?

I'm not a Nielsen household, so the rating may be less than good.

Gonzaga throttled by Texas last night. I knew coming into this season their high ranking wasn't necessarily justified and was based on recent reputation. Turns out they dont have a legit PG at all. 3 or 4 of their 4-5 star prospects are underperforming. Timme is trying new stuff to bolster his professional resume, but it's not exactly working out great. Just a mess so far.

Uconn looks dangerous this year guys. Deep team that plays defense and rebounds. The freshman cling Kong , UConn nickname , is for real.

Death, taxes and Matt Painter
What a tournament!

Talk about coming out early and making a statement!! We knew what we had in Edey, Gillis and co...but these new kids are something special.

I was able to get incredible seats for yesterday's game and was right off the court in the corner opposite the purdue bench for $20!!

Its early, but Purdue certainly looks great so far. Can Painter finally get to the Final Four with this team?

Probably the best half Michigan has played all year. All we need to do is shoot 50% from three and we are a pretty good team.

marquette looked pretty good last night never underestimate shaka take that to the bank brohans

marquette looked pretty good last night never underestimate shaka take that to the bank brohans
Man, I so wanted Maryland to hire him when Gary Williams retired.

Speaking of Maryland, they beat Louisville pretty good last night to get to 7-0. Louisville is apparently a disaster for the first time in my life, so no great win there. The Terps have beaten two good teams - Miami & St Louis - so far. They get Illinois Friday, so the real tests start now. They also have UCLA coming up.

i am so glad shaka came to marquette and i hope he just stays forever and become al mcguire part ii he is perfect for the blue collar play defense ethic around here and a wisconsin native so glad he is here take that to the bank brohans

Yikes. Not good -

The University of Texas head coach for the men's basketball team, Chris Beard, was arrested early Monday morning for alleged domestic violence.

The Austin Police Department (APD) responded to a "disturbance-urgent" call at 2:07 a.m. on Dec. 12 in Tarrytown. APD Spokesperson Brandon Jones stated that "it is alleged that Beard strangled a person at a home."

Uconn looks dangerous this year guys. Deep team that plays defense and rebounds. The freshman cling Kong , UConn nickname , is for real.
Has beaten every opponent they have faced by double digits and that includes Alabama Oregon Iowa State and Florida. Not just by 11 most have been by 15+

Yikes. Not good -

The University of Texas head coach for the men's basketball team, Chris Beard, was arrested early Monday morning for alleged domestic violence.

The Austin Police Department (APD) responded to a "disturbance-urgent" call at 2:07 a.m. on Dec. 12 in Tarrytown. APD Spokesperson Brandon Jones stated that "it is alleged that Beard strangled a person at a home."
I'm hearing that the victim was his daughters boyfriend and that the boyfriend does not want to press charges. So, still bad, but maybe justifiable or at least not worst case scenario.
Edit- The above is inaccurate. Apparently it was definitely a woman that was assaulted. He will be out definitely.
Until the next rumor...

Last edited:
i am so glad shaka came to marquette and i hope he just stays forever and become al mcguire part ii he is perfect for the blue collar play defense ethic around here and a wisconsin native so glad he is here take that to the bank brohans
Marquette spanked ND pretty good yesterday at ND.

Is Louisville really going winless this season? Florida St with 2 wins?

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Yikes. Not good -

Charged with a 3rd degree felony, I mean that seems fireable, but they are Texas and ranked so will see.

Users who are viewing this thread