What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA Basketball Thread - 2022-3 Season (1 Viewer)

What a shame to end the game like that. That's not called 80-90% of the time. To call it with 4 seconds left, down one in the national semi-final is just awful. UConn jobbed, fans robbed.

What a terrible way to end a game. I really hope SC takes care of business. 18-9 final foul count and they played a huge part of the game including not letting UConn have a shot at the end after making a great steal to get an opportunity.

A win would have been nice but honestly, UConn would have gotten crushed by that deep SC team. They were able to contain Clark and make this a game but can’t do that against SC.

What a terrible way to end a game. I really hope SC takes care of business. 18-9 final foul count and they played a huge part of the game including not letting UConn have a shot at the end after making a great steal to get an opportunity.

A win would have been nice but honestly, UConn would have gotten crushed by that deep SC team. They were able to contain Clark and make this a game but can’t do that against SC.
Your complaints about the foul count are silly. UConn employed the same approach the Pats DBs used against the Colts WRs many years ago. Clark was getting mauled out there most of the game. Refs could have called 30-40 fouls in the first half alone. The UConn gameplan ensured that they would get called for more fouls — and IMO that’s not a negative, it was a rational and deliberate approach. And if not for a horrible last second call, on par with the worst late game call of all time (the 2002 WCF call on Mike Bibby when Kobe hit him in the face), UConn would have had a chance to win on the last possession. Great gameplan by Geno and staff. They didn’t let Clark beat them. But the box score was always going to be way way more fouls on UConn — by design.

The UCONN screener visually lines the defender up, then both leans into her and flares the 'bow out as she's coming through. And the height differential highlighted all of the above. Not sure what the refs are supposed to do.
Not call that foul. I think it looked worse than it was by the defender's reaction, but she barely shifts in her stance. Bueckers was already 2 steps past the screen and the "foul" was going to have no bearing on the play.

I'm not too sure what UCONN was going to do there honestly. Bueckers had gotten the ball with less than 4 seconds left, Stuelke was right in her face and Clark was ready to help if she got around her. There was still time for 1 more pass, but Bueckers would have had to force it if she was going to shoot.

We will never know though and got robbed of a great finish.

I'm not too sure what UCONN was going to do there honestly. Bueckers had gotten the ball with less than 4 seconds left, Stuelke was right in her face and Clark was ready to help if she got around her. There was still time for 1 more pass, but Bueckers would have had to force it if she was going to shoot.

We will never know though and got robbed of a great finish.
Watching it again, Edwards has the roll to the elbow/FT line with space. If Bueckers sees it and hits her they could have had something, but I got the sense that the play was to get Bueckers loose and Stuelke did a good job switching out to cover any open look there.

It sucks for UConn that they didn’t even get a chance to get a shot off, but I don’t know how you can look at this photo and say that’s not a foul. She absolutely threw her knee and elbow way out. Textbook moving screen.

Of course that call is going to get a lot of thr attention, but we should also be talking about the high basketball IQ plays those last 2 inbounds plays were. Clark throwing it off of Paige when Paige had her back turned was a great way to run a bit of clock (though slightly dangerous if that ball ricocheted at Clark). And inbounding it to basically just deflect the ball straight up to run the last 0.8 was smarter than giving UConn any chance to foul or deflect,

The UCONN screener visually lines the defender up, then both leans into her and flares the 'bow out as she's coming through. And the height differential highlighted all of the above. Not sure what the refs are supposed to do.
Not call that foul. I think it looked worse than it was by the defender's reaction, but she barely shifts in her stance. Bueckers was already 2 steps past the screen and the "foul" was going to have no bearing on the play.

Being 2 steps past the screen is irrelevant to the foul call.

Watching the game I thought it was a bad call, watching the replay the call was correct. They don`t make that call it would be the same complaining would be going on from other side.

But here is the key. People are actually talking about a women's NCAA BB game!! This is the first time I have been watching and actually enjoy the games no matter who is playing.

Watching the game I thought it was a bad call, watching the replay the call was correct.
This is how it was for me, too.

Edwards stuck her leg out, so she wasn't set. I think if she had made the same motion she did with just her arm (with her legs already set), they may not have called it.

I don't know if Buekers had seem the replay by the time of the post-game press conference (she couldn't see it as it happened because the play was behind her), but she said something to the effect of "we had chances to make one more play all game - this one didn't cost us the game".

Everyone criticizing the ref for making that call ...
Not one person blaming the screening player for barely coming to a stop (did she?), leaning out and sticking out the elbow, ... when the defender was already behind the play anyway.
I agree with the call and UConn had been called for it previously that game. At least once that I recall.
Poor timing there but the player setting the screen needs to be smarter than that with 3 seconds left in the game. Why even take a chance with a lean and an elbow?

She literally raises her elbow into her…

I don't watch many women's games but in the men's game a moving screen is called a foul in my estimation about 30%40% of the time. The rest of the time it is ignored. So for a ref to make this call with a team down one with 4 seconds left in a national semi-final game is completely nuts. If these fouls were called 100% of the time I'd agree it should be called at that point of the game too but we all know they are not called 100% of the time. And it's not just moving screens. Other fouls like push-offs are not called 100% of the time either. Clark got away with a blatant push-off earlier in the game on a play where she scored an important bucket. That's why you swallow the whistle in the last 10 seconds unless it's so egregious that you have no choice. You don't suddenly turn into an eagle eye and call an offensive foul in that situation. You rob sports fans of the moments we tune into games to see.

I don't watch many women's games but in the men's game a moving screen is called a foul in my estimation about 30%40% of the time. The rest of the time it is ignored. So for a ref to make this call with a team down one with 4 seconds left in a national semi-final game is completely nuts. If these fouls were called 100% of the time I'd agree it should be called at that point of the game too but we all know they are not called 100% of the time. And it's not just moving screens. Other fouls like push-offs are not called 100% of the time either. Clark got away with a blatant push-off earlier in the game on a play where she scored an important bucket. That's why you swallow the whistle in the last 10 seconds unless it's so egregious that you have no choice. You don't suddenly turn into an eagle eye and call an offensive foul in that situation. You rob sports fans of the moments we tune into games to see.

I don't watch a lot of womens college basketball, but seems odd that they call more goaltending violations in the men's game then then the women's game.

I am sorry but the women's game is so much more pleasant to watch than the men's game right now. These offenses are terrible.
Well they go from playing in basketball arenas to these stupid giant stadiums. I remember hearing the under is always the play on final four Saturday.

Both teams are shooting 37%. The stadium can't possibly be the reason for this. Duke's exit game they shot 28%, not in a stadium. Duke.

It's a tough watch. And yet, here I am.

I am sorry but the women's game is so much more pleasant to watch than the men's game right now. These offenses are terrible.
Well they go from playing in basketball arenas to these stupid giant stadiums. I remember hearing the under is always the play on final four Saturday.

Both teams are shooting 37%. The stadium can't possibly be the reason for this. Duke's exit game they shot 28%, not in a stadium. Duke.

It's a tough watch. And yet, here I am.
Well I mean we’ve already discussed upthread how horrible the college game is. People watch because the tournament format is amazing. The games are trash.

Edey reminds me of Rik Smits. It’s so funny how he’d be the top pick in the 1995 nba draft and may be fortunate to go in the 20s now.

Users who are viewing this thread