What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania (1 Viewer)

Who is worse?

• Total voters
Xavier just played that worst game ever that still resulted in a win. They are terrible. 

But with that said, they now only have to win either at Providence or at home to Butler to keep their 37 year streak going. 

I see they are discussing possibly playing the March Madness games with no crowds because of the coronavirus.  That would be crazy AND a huge financial hit, I would think.  I mean, I think there's about a zero percent chance this happens.  

I see they are discussing possibly playing the March Madness games with no crowds because of the coronavirus.  That would be crazy AND a huge financial hit, I would think.  I mean, I think there's about a zero percent chance this happens.  
That would be creepy to watch on TV with absolutely no crowd noise.  Like watching an elementary school game.  

That would be creepy to watch on TV with absolutely no crowd noise.  Like watching an elementary school game.  
So I'll ask in this thread:  How good is Gonzaga this year?  You are my go-to Gonzaga expert come this time of year.  And this year I've seen exactly zero minutes of any of their games.  

So I'll ask in this thread:  How good is Gonzaga this year?  You are my go-to Gonzaga expert come this time of year.  And this year I've seen exactly zero minutes of any of their games.  
It's been a weird year for sure, but in a good way.  They lost 4 starters coming into this year.  A lot of people thought they might fall out of the rankings come March as this was supposed to be a bit of a rebuilding year.  They've overachieved for sure, and I still think they are a bit over-ranked in the AP Poll. 

I'm a bit pessimistic on their tournament chances.  The thing the AP poll doesn't take into account is depth, which is Gonzaga's weakness this year.  We saw this in their blowout loss to Michigan earlier this year in a pre-season tournament.  They were both hurt and gassed.  Their recent play hasn't been as good either.  If you had asked me a month ago, I'd have said their ceiling was Final Four.  Now, I'm thinking Sweet 16/Elite 8 depending on matchups.  They'll probably get a one seed, but I could easily see them being the first one seed eliminated this year. 

The health of Killian Tillie will be key for a deep tournament run.  If he gets hurt, even just making the second weekend could be a challenge.  They're a different team without him.  

Where are you seeing this?  Holy overreaction Batman.

It's finally here!  The fortnight that is Championship week!!

So the current tally is:

34 teams that have never made the tourney still in it.  1 of those is still trying to qualify for their tournament.  6 teams will play tonight in their conference tournament.

46 teams that have not made the tourney this century still in it.  3 of those still trying to qualify for their tournament.  3 others will play tonight in their conference tournaments.

The whittling begins tonight!! :towelwave:

These small colleges crack me up. Watching the Presbyterian game and the mascot for Charleston Southern is trying to fire up the crowd. And by crowd, I mean 20 people. 

I went to a tiny high school and our gym was bigger than this place. 

We are now down to 35 teams left that could end their streak of never making it to the tourney.  Western Illinois loses and does not qualify for the Summit conference tourney.  And Incarnate Word will not make the Southland tourney.

And we are now down to 46 teams that have not made it to the tourney this century.  Tennessee Tech loses a nail biter and does not qualify for the OVC tourney.  And UL-Monroe will not qualify for the Sun Belt conference.
Day 1 of Championship Week completed.

We are now down to 31 teams left that could end their streak of never making it to the tourney.  NJIT, Presbyterian, and High Point all lost in their tournaments last night.

And we are now down to 44 teams that have not made it to the tourney this century.  Campbell and Jacksonville lost in their tournaments.

Also, Xavier plays at Providence tonight and is home against Butler Saturday.  They need to win one of these two games to extend the streak to 38 years with a .500 or better conference record.  

Butler and Providence are fairly good teams.  And if X plays like they did on Sunday, they'll lose by 30 each game.  I think the Big East will probably get 7 of 10 teams in the tournament and only 1 or 2 will advance to the second round.  

Chicago State cancelling the rest of their basketball games due to the coronavirus.  They are a school that has never made the tournament.  They are going to make a decision later this week as to whether they will participate in the WAC conference tournament.  Considering they've won zero conference games, I'm guessing they will cancel.  Either way, we might be able to cross them off the list here soon.

Chicago State cancelling the rest of their basketball games due to the coronavirus.  They are a school that has never made the tournament.  They are going to make a decision later this week as to whether they will participate in the WAC conference tournament.  Considering they've won zero conference games, I'm guessing they will cancel.  Either way, we might be able to cross them off the list here soon.
They have this year's honor of being kenpom's worst ranked team and its not even close.  There's a 5 point efficiency gap between them and the next worst team.  This may have been more an act of mercy than fears of the virus.  

Day 2 is always the big let down day.  Day 1 has 12 games.  Then we follow it up with 9 games on Day 2.  Only the last day of CW has fewer games (6), but they are all Finals matchups.  

Never Made It Teams*  - 

Stetson A-Sun
Hartford AEC
UMass-Lowell AEC
New Hampshire AEC
Maine AEC
Sacramento St. Big Sky
USC Upstate Big South
Longwood Big South
UC Riverside Big West
William & Mary CAA
Elon CAA
Youngstown St. Horizon
Quinnipiac MAAC
Bethune-Cookman MEAC
Maryland-ES MEAC
St. Francis (BKN) NEC
Sacred Heart NEC
Bryant NEC
Army Patriot
The Citadel Southern
Central Ark. Southland
South Dakota Summit
Denver Summit
IPFW Summit
Nebraska-Omaha Summit
Grambling SWAC
Utah Valley WAC
Grand Canyon WAC
UTRGV WAC
UMKC WAC
Chicago State WAC

Haven't made it this century teams** - 

EAST CAROLINA AAC
TULANE AAC
DUQUESNE A-10
FORDHAM A-10
RUTGERS Big Ten
IDAHO Big Sky
IDAHO STATE Big Sky
MONTANA STATE Big Sky
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN Big South
DREXEL CAA
TOWSON CAA
FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL ConferenceUSA
LOUISIANA TECH ConferenceUSA
RICE ConferenceUSA
BROWN Ivy
DARTMOUTH Ivy
CANISIUS MAAC
FAIRFIELD MAAC
MARIST MAAC
RIDER MAAC
HOWARD MEAC
BOWLING GREEN MAC
EASTERN MICHIGAN MAC
NORTHERN ILLINOIS MAC
TOLEDO MAC
EVANSVILLE MVC
ILLINOIS STATE MVC
MISSOURI STATE MVC
SAN JOSE STATE MWC
SAINT FRANCIS (PA) NEC
TENNESSEE STATE OVC
NAVY Patriot
ARKANSAS STATE Sun Belt
GEORGIA SOUTHERN Sun Belt
TEXAS STATE Sun Belt
NICHOLLS STATE Southland
FURMAN Southern
VMI Southern
WESTERN CAROLINA Southern
SEATTLE WAC
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT WCC
PORTLAND WCC
SAN FRANCISCO WCC
SANTA CLARA WCC

Teams playing tonight are San Jose State**, Tennessee State**, St. Francis (PA)**, St. Francis (BKN)*, Sacred Heart*, and Bryant*.  And two play each other, so we definitely knock at least one off the list tonight.  

So Day 2 sucked even more than I first thought because almost no games were televised.  And unlike Day 1 games, the games last night were pretty close games that came down to the wire.  

We are now down to 29 teams left that could end their streak of never making it to the tourney.  Bryant and St. Francis (BKN) both lost.  That means there's no chance of St. Francis playing St. Francis and me getting to use one of my favorite dad jokes:  "Bet the house on St. Francis!"  Oh well.  Better luck next year, I guess.

And we are now down to 43 teams that have not made it to the tourney this century.  San Jose State got knocked off.  

Things pick up today on Day 3.  We have a couple of day games and the Missouri Valley and West Coast conferences kick off their tourneys.  Quarterfinals for the Big South, Horizon, Mountain West, OVC, and Patriot conferences.  And the semifinals for the Atlantic Sun.  

The Never Made It Teams playing today: 5

Haven't Made It This Century Teams playing today: 8

Wow.  UMKC also cancelled their game in Seattle.  Same conference.  

The other Never Made It schools playing today are:

Stetson Hatters
Longwood Lancers
Youngstown State Penguins
Army Black Knights

Haven't Made It This Century schools playing today:

Charleston Southern Buccaneers
Evansville Purple Aces
Illinois State Redbirds
Tennessee State Tigers
Navy Midshipmen
Loyola Marymount Lions
Portland Pilots
Santa Clara Broncos

Air Force off to a nice start against San Diego State.  That would be a shocker.

I tried to fire it up on my iPhone through the CBSports app but it lists 120 different cable providers to choose from and Xfinity/Comcast is not one of them.  :angry:

Air Force off to a nice start against San Diego State.  That would be a shocker.

I tried to fire it up on my iPhone through the CBSports app but it lists 120 different cable providers to choose from and Xfinity/Comcast is not one of them.  :angry:
Air Force forgot to show up for the second half, apparently. 

So Day 2 sucked even more than I first thought because almost no games were televised.  And unlike Day 1 games, the games last night were pretty close games that came down to the wire.  

We are now down to 29 teams left that could end their streak of never making it to the tourney.  Bryant and St. Francis (BKN) both lost.  That means there's no chance of St. Francis playing St. Francis and me getting to use one of my favorite dad jokes:  "Bet the house on St. Francis!"  Oh well.  Better luck next year, I guess.

And we are now down to 43 teams that have not made it to the tourney this century.  San Jose State got knocked off.  

Things pick up today on Day 3.  We have a couple of day games and the Missouri Valley and West Coast conferences kick off their tourneys.  Quarterfinals for the Big South, Horizon, Mountain West, OVC, and Patriot conferences.  And the semifinals for the Atlantic Sun.  

The Never Made It Teams playing today: 5

Haven't Made It This Century Teams playing today: 8
Day 3 was a massacre for these hopeful teams.  Only two advanced and one was because they were playing each other.

We are now down to 24 teams left that could end their streak of never making it to the tourney.  Army, Youngstown State, Longwood, and Stetson all lost.  Fun fact:  Army actually won a bid to the tourney back in the 60's, but turned it down to play in the NIT.  Oopsie. 

And we are now down to 37 teams that have not made it to the tourney this century.  Charleston Southern (1997), Navy (1998), Illinois State (1998), Tennessee State (1994), Evansville (1999), and Portland (1996) all lost, as well.   

So Army, Navy, and Air Force all lost today.  I couldn't find the results for the Marines or the Space Force, though.  

Another light day today with only 14 games on tap.  But Ivy League plays tonight, so one or two more teams could be eliminated from the Not This Century Club.

The Never Made It Teams playing today: 1

The Citadel Bulldogs

Haven't Made It This Century Teams playing today: 5

Missouri State Bears
VMI Keydets
Loyola Marymount Lions
San Francisco Dons
Santa Clara Broncos

I see that Lunardi has UC and XU in the "Last Four In", meaning they'd be in the First Four.  Do they still have that (un)written rule where they try not to have teams that played in the season go up against each other in their first games?  Because if not, a UC v. XU loser-goes-home game played in Dayton would be INSANE!

I see that Lunardi has UC and XU in the "Last Four In", meaning they'd be in the First Four.  Do they still have that (un)written rule where they try not to have teams that played in the season go up against each other in their first games?  Because if not, a UC v. XU loser-goes-home game played in Dayton would be INSANE!
They try not to but if they have to they will. 

#8 Drake is just taking #1 Northern Iowa to the woodshed in the first half.  

UNI is a bubble team.  Bubble teams do not want the MVC to become a two bid league.

I hate how every year, sports networks start trying out new angles for the games.  How about the overhead shot?  Or what about this shot from the corner looking to the opposite corner at the other end of the court?  

How about we just watch the game from the camera angle that's worked for 100 years?!?  :rant:

I hate how every year, sports networks start trying out new angles for the games.  How about the overhead shot?  Or what about this shot from the corner looking to the opposite corner at the other end of the court?  

How about we just watch the game from the camera angle that's worked for 100 years?!?  :rant:
yup

The rule of college basketball is always that it's easy to catch back up and tie for the lead.  But it's hard sustaining that to keep going.  UNI got within 2 and looked in control, but Drake has extended the lead back to 11 with 7 minutes left.

The rule of college basketball is always that it's easy to catch back up and tie for the lead.  But it's hard sustaining that to keep going.  UNI got within 2 and looked in control, but Drake has extended the lead back to 11 with 7 minutes left.
UNI went 10 minutes without scoring.  That's crazy.  This will be the first time a #8 seed beats a #1 in the MVC tourney.

LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!!

Looks like they were an 11 or 12 seed most places, could be bye bye for UNI.
Yeah.  I think that seed was counting on them rolling through the MVC tourney.  Not getting ousted in their first game.

I don't know much about Drake, but even though they're a #8 seed in the MVC, they still have won 20 games.  You don't see a lot of #8 seed with that many wins in any conference.  

You guys sure UNI is out? 
No.  Not sure.  But they were a bubble team going into the tourney.  Losing their first game is not good for the resume.  I mean, you want to win at least one.  But ideally get to the championship game in these smaller conferences.  It's tough to give these small conferences two bids, especially when one of the teams doesn't win a single game in their tourney.  

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on "not in the tourney."

Users who are viewing this thread