What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need help: who should have made the FF playoffs? (1 Viewer)

Four teams finished with identical records. Tiebreaker is HTH results. Last two playoff spots at stake.

Team A beat Team B, lost to Teams C and D
B beat C, lost to A and D
C beat A and D, lost to B
D beat A and B, lost to C

I have both C and D in the playoffs, based on going 2-1 in tiebreakers, but ESPN put A and D in the playoffs.

Four teams finished with identical records. Tiebreaker is HTH results. Last two playoff spots at stake.

Team A beat Team B, lost to Teams C and D
B beat C, lost to A and D
C beat A and D, lost to B
D beat A and B, lost to C

I have both C and D in the playoffs, based on going 2-1 in tiebreakers, but ESPN put A and D in the playoffs.
I don't know how their "head to head" is interpreted. In the NFL, head-to-head only applies if there is a sweep (a team beat all the others, or a team lost to all the others). Otherwise it goes to the next tiebreaker. But if head-to-head is specifically what is being used to resolve this, then I don't know how they come up with A and D. Unless there is multiplicity involved? E.g., A beat B twice, C lost to B twice, something like that.

There were no double game matchups in this tiebreaker scenario. I have no clue how this would work out if, for example, Team B had beat Team C twice.

BTW, all these teams were 6-8, and that's probably why there haven't been a lot of complaints about this. (6 teams make the playoffs, 4 teams finished 9-5 or better, 12 team league.)

In the NFL, head-to-head only applies if there is a sweep (a team beat all the others, or a team lost to all the others). Otherwise it goes to the next tiebreaker.

I think that this is what you're looking for. In some professional leagues, you see a head-to-head tiebreaker unless three teams are involved. Then it moves to the next tiebreaker.

In the NFL, head-to-head only applies if there is a sweep (a team beat all the others, or a team lost to all the others). Otherwise it goes to the next tiebreaker.

I think that this is what you're looking for. In some professional leagues, you see a head-to-head tiebreaker unless three teams are involved. Then it moves to the next tiebreaker.
This. What was the next tie-breaker? HTH can't be the only one.

No 2nd tiebreaker in the ESPN system. League rules call for total points scored as the 2nd, but that didn't come into play as ESPN chose the playoff lineup, and Team C would have lost it anyways. (Team C was lucky to be 6-8)

No 2nd tiebreaker in the ESPN system. League rules call for total points scored as the 2nd, but that didn't come into play as ESPN chose the playoff lineup, and Team C would have lost it anyways. (Team C was lucky to be 6-8)
As skipdog said, it would seem there would have to be a tiebreaker beyond head-to-head, even in the ESPN system. What if three teams are tied, A beat B, B beat C, C beat A? There is literally no way to resolve that without something beyond head-to-head wins.

This is why I hate H2H as a tiebreaker. Plus you want the better teams in which is better represented with total points as a tiebreak

Do some leagues really still just rely on the site default settings and not have their own tiebreaker rules in place?

HtH only works when you have 2 teams tied. If more than 2 teams are tied, typically ot rolls to the next tie break.

Even if your site automatically posts who "made" the playoffs, you should always bounce it of your league rules to see if it is correct.

What lots of leagues fail to clarify is how the tiebreaker is handled when there are multiple spots available.

In a situation like the one posed in the original post, should the tiebreakers be applied to identify one team to advance and then start over from tiebreak #1 with the remaining teams to identify the second team? Or should the first look at the tiebreakers identify the 2 teams?

You’d be surprised to see that this matters and in certain situations you don’t always get the same 2 teams.

Head 2 head should always be clarified as well. Is it by winning percentage? Is it by # of wins? Does 2-0 beat 1-0? Do all of the tied teams need to have played each other for H2H to be used.

Users who are viewing this thread