What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighbor Issue (1 Viewer)

No history between you save for this fence issue? How can this guy look you in the eye and basically say #### you?
The couple is old and has been trying to sell their house and move to a warm climate for year. I'm guessing they are in their 70s. But they feel their house is worth way more than anyone else and have not dropped the price. But they still want to keep the property looking nice in case someone might actually want to tour the house, so they are a bit over the top in keeping the yard nice. We don't really know them and other than the dumping stuff over the fence issue haven't really gotten to know them.
Offer to buy the old boot what he needs to dispose of his yard waste like everyone else- plastic bags.

I mean- he has to pick it up to toss it over the fence, right? Maybe he can be persuaded to use the bags instead. :shrug:

You're dealing with people who think the solution to selling their home easily is to make it very apparent that every potential buyer's future neighbor just leaves trash and other crap within feet of their property.

Good luck winning this one.

Drive your car through their fence, then jump out wearing a kool aid man costume and yell "OHHHH YEAHHHHH!"

Sorry. Was tied up in a meeting. It's a chain link fence that isn't too too high. Probably like 4 feet tall. They can still see their stuff . . . just on the other side of the fence. Left out one other piece of information that the neighbor claims is huge on his side of the argument. He set his fence like 5 feet off the property line. A zillion years ago when they built the neighborhood, there made a 5 foot wide easement between the property line that runs for like 3/4 of a mile between all the houses to allow access to all the sites for the builders to get to each tract of land. Someone owns that odd shaped piece of land (5 feet by 3/4 of a mile) . . . but it's not me and it's not the neighbor. Neighbor's argument is that 1) he's dumping his stuff on his own property and 2) I don't even own the land that any of it would spill on. Still doesn't change that I have to see the piles of stuff everyday and the wind blows it into my back yard.
Great. Now all I can think of is that old rhubarb lady and her grating voice.

You're dealing with people who think the solution to selling their home easily is to make it very apparent that every potential buyer's future neighbor just leaves trash and other crap within feet of their property.
Perfect selling point for The Plastic BagsTM. :thumbup:

Drive your car through their fence, then jump out wearing a kool aid man costume and yell "OHHHH YEAHHHHH!"
This, or build a 10' high wooden fence right next to their chain link, and only on that side. If the old Geezer can get it over a 10' wall the refuse is yours to deal with.

If you really wanna mess with him add 5' of clear plastic on top of said wooden fence.

No history between you save for this fence issue? How can this guy look you in the eye and basically say #### you?
The couple is old and has been trying to sell their house and move to a warm climate for year. I'm guessing they are in their 70s. But they feel their house is worth way more than anyone else and have not dropped the price. But they still want to keep the property looking nice in case someone might actually want to tour the house, so they are a bit over the top in keeping the yard nice. We don't really know them and other than the dumping stuff over the fence issue haven't really gotten to know them.
All the more reason to go round up ice cubes on them (genius).
:yes:

Yep, a little Round Up grass killer spread around his front lawn may not change the situation, but you'll feel better.

The leaves will be gone in a few weeks, but his grass will be dead for quite some time.

Tonight may not be the best night as there will be people wandering all around. But since they're old, they'll be sleeping early and you can get away with it fairly easy.

Giant high powered fan with motion sensor. Everytime they get near the fence to dump leaves, the fan kicks on and blows the leaves right back into their yard.

Did the OP respond to any of the suggestions about putting up his own fence and making dog poo alley?

Still confused by "We have a chain link fence" and "We want to keep the property looking nice"

This is why God invented social media. Take a video, post to Facebook, twitter, vine, whatever. Name them and ask your friends to spread it around.
This is a great ####### idea. Shame them by name.

Also, build a fence. And throw everything back over their fence until your fence is done.

Build wall higher

If your neighbor is Republican or Democrat, paint giant Obama/Bush mural. I'm talkin' huge and colorful,

Can't believe you're complaining about free leaves. Get some wire fencing and set up a compost pile on your property near the spot where he's dumping. Rake the stuff up and put it on your pile. Whenever you see him, say thanks for the leaves. Oddly enough, I would bet he stops after that, because he's an #######.

Would it be legal to put a sign up in your backyard facing theirs that says "Make sure to check for basement and mold issues when looking to buy at XXXX Address"?

Buy a tiny kimono, keep a bunch of newspapers in a hidden spot in the front yard, and bend extra deep to pick them up every time they have people over to view the house. "You moving in next door? Excellent! Wow, do you work out?" You might want to buy a cheap toupee to wookie up the nether regions for effect.

If they stop the tomfoolery, the kimono guy stays inside. If they don't, ill-fitting banana hammock guy who loves to chat clocks in.

Would it be legal to put a sign up in your backyard facing theirs that says "Make sure to check for basement and mold issues when looking to buy at XXXX Address"?
Great idea, I'd go with a sign that says:

"Make the old coot knock off $20k for meth lab residue cleanup in the basement. You're welcome."

Why not just pour the round up? Wouldn't it have the exact same effect as a round up ice cube?

Go buy a junked out car at the junk yard and park it in your back yard right next to the property line. When he complains punch him in the face in front of his wife.

go to home depot....buy a big plastic trash can and some bags.....politely go to his house.....state your case one more time that the leaves trash end up blowing into your yard....ask if instead of throwing it over the fence he'd be willing to put the trash in the bags/can....he can put it with your trash on pick up day...

Sorry. Was tied up in a meeting. It's a chain link fence that isn't too too high. Probably like 4 feet tall. They can still see their stuff . . . just on the other side of the fence. Left out one other piece of information that the neighbor claims is huge on his side of the argument. He set his fence like 5 feet off the property line. A zillion years ago when they built the neighborhood, there made a 5 foot wide easement between the property line that runs for like 3/4 of a mile between all the houses to allow access to all the sites for the builders to get to each tract of land. Someone owns that odd shaped piece of land (5 feet by 3/4 of a mile) . . . but it's not me and it's not the neighbor. Neighbor's argument is that 1) he's dumping his stuff on his own property and 2) I don't even own the land that any of it would spill on. Still doesn't change that I have to see the piles of stuff everyday and the wind blows it into my back yard.
Technically then, he's not breaking the law I don't think - he's just being a total *******. I'm not sure of any real recourse you could take, aside from your own fence.
This.

Given that it's a chain link fence, AND they're trying to sell their house, it just depends on how much vengeance is worth to you.

If it's worth the cost of backing it up, I'd basically go to him and tell him that if he doesn't stop, you WILL build a tall, solid wood fence, and paint images/colors on the back side that might make it difficult for him to sell his house assuming there are no zoning issues there. Turn the "it's legal" thing back around on him. Just because it's legal doesn't make it right. Basically let it be known that you too can play little games...legally.

Also, let him know that if he keeps it up, should anyone ever come to see the house when you're home, you'll act like a complete lunatic (again, legally) to make them think twice about buying their house. Nobody wants to live next to the crazy guy.

Essentially, if you build a big tall wooden fence, there's nothing more he can legally do to you...but since he's the one trying to sell/move, you can still legally do a lot to him.

go to home depot....buy a big plastic trash can and some bags.....politely go to his house.....state your case one more time that the leaves trash end up blowing into your yard....ask if instead of throwing it over the fence he'd be willing to put the trash in the bags/can....he can put it with your trash on pick up day...
Yeppers.

Old leaves & trash visible through the chain link fence while they are trying to sell their house? Add garbage, composting, old vehicles and crazy military items in your back yard that will be visible for any potential homeowner to also see. Place a sign in the front yard so that potential buyers know that you're difficult to get along with. Stay off my lawn type stuff and anything else that would drive away potential buyers. The Roundup ice cube idea is genius.

Building my own fence is obviously an option, but I would first need to have a survey done to find the exact property line (which I do not believe is even in a straight line. I wasn't really looking to have to shell out that much money to resolve this, but I may not have a choice.

The other thing is that the law here is that the pretty side of the fence has to face the neighbor's house. Oddly enough, they care more about fence construction laws than they do what you toss over them.

I may just add to the existing pile of stuff by the fence and make it "Compost Mountain," even if that means having it higher than the fence line.

Users who are viewing this thread