What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Cable Modem - setup help (1 Viewer)

Random

Footballguy
A brand new cable modem was left behind by a tenant that moved out. I don't think it is from the ISP, and I have no way to reach said tenant. Anyway, can I just plug in this new modem and expect it to work?

It should work but it needs to be associated with your account. The cable company associates the MAC Address (basically an ID of the modem) to your account. If you just plug it in it won't work until you tell the cable company you have connected it. Call them up and tell them you have a new modem you are using.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just had to go into online chat and give them the MAC address on a new modem. Takes about 5 - 10 minutes for them to activate it (provided it's compatible with your cable company).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. It was a pretty simple swap using twc chat.

Can anyone offer advice on the best setup? The new modem is a Ubee with wifi. We already have a wireless router. Should I use both? The new modem is in the basement, the wireless router (2 or 3 year old asus) is upstairs if that helps.

Best would be to make it a repeater so you don't have to switch from living room wifi to basement wifi.

That's a little tricky for a newbie though. I'd stick with what ya got

Users who are viewing this thread