What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New England Patriots select.... (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
...Tim Tebow. : mellow:

It sounds crazy (and rightfully so) but I wouldn't be surprised if BB took Tebow. BB has good connections with Meyer.

Judging by the fact that their secondary is getting lit up like Christmas trees, what about a corner?

I don't think that Tebow will be there after Jacksonville makes their pick. Regardless of how you feel Tebow will do in the NFL, I think that Jacksonville needs the draw that Tebow would bring.

Judging by the fact that their secondary is getting lit up like Christmas trees, what about a corner?
The Patriots biggest problem on defense is the complete inability to generate a pass rush unless they send 6 guys. I think BB would really like to get a OLB who can get to the QB.

I don't think that Tebow will be there after Jacksonville makes their pick. Regardless of how you feel Tebow will do in the NFL, I think that Jacksonville needs the draw that Tebow would bring.
Why not :hot: it worked for Cleveland?
In the Florida panhandle area there are a ton of football fans - college football fans. In Gainesville you see one car with a TB Bucs sticker, then one car with a Jags sticker and between them 200 cars with Gators stickers. There is a huge group of football fans just looking for a pro team to identify with. That's the difference a Tebow would make in Jacksonville. I really doubt Brady Quinn is the draw that one of the most famous college players EVER would be - but then again I'm biased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not :confused: it worked for Cleveland?
In the Florida panhandle area there are a ton of football fans - college football fans. In Gainesville you see one car with a TB Bucs sticker, then one car with a Jags sticker and between them 200 cars with Gators stickers. There is a huge group of football fans just looking for a pro team to identify with. That's the difference a Tebow would make in Jacksonville. I really doubt Brady Quinn is the draw that one of the most famous college players EVER would be - but then again I'm biased.
Tebow to jacksonville is a likely landing spot, but likely they trade down in the draft to get him. Unless tebow lights up the senior bowl / combine, I do not see the middle of the first round for him. Jax could do well to trade down, pick up an extra 3rd or so, and then take tebow.It may also change the minds of all those people who live in Orlando about being forced to watch the jaguars.GatorPS. I think this game with Miami is a sellout. Mostly b/c of the miami fans who live in jacksonville

wazoo11 said:
...Tim Tebow. : mellow:It sounds crazy (and rightfully so) but I wouldn't be surprised if BB took Tebow. BB has good connections with Meyer.
I wouldn't be surprised if BB took Tebow either... In the seventh round.

grind said:
CJ Spiller
I agree. Their current RBs are past their prime. New England will be picking in the latter part of the draft and I can't imagine that they would trade up for a QB. Maybe they will get it right this time unlike last time when they took Maroney over DeAnglo Williams.

Crusaderfan said:
I think this factors in bigtime. I don't know how much it might have improved the gate receipts--but sure remember the support for Carolina drafting Peppers when he came up.

grind said:
CJ Spiller
I agree. Their current RBs are past their prime. New England will be picking in the latter part of the draft and I can't imagine that they would trade up for a QB. Maybe they will get it right this time unlike last time when they took Maroney over DeAnglo Williams.
lawrence maroney may not be what he was cracked up to be, but he's hardly 'past his prime.'

Gatorman said:
Tebow to jacksonville is a likely landing spot, but likely they trade down in the draft to get him. Unless tebow lights up the senior bowl / combine, I do not see the middle of the first round for him. Jax could do well to trade down, pick up an extra 3rd or so, and then take tebow.
Where Tebow goes in the draft will be interesting, because while most GMs likely feel that he's not a 1st round NFL player, it's clear there are some guys that are just absolutely in love with him and would take him with their first pick no matter where it was. With several ex-coaches (Gruden and Dungy) both saying they wouldn't hesitate to draft him 1st overall, it's likely that there is someone still in the NFL that feels the same way. And that someone probably worries that there's another out there feeling the same way he does and wouldn't risk trading down.It's just a very weird situation because it seems like there are several huge outliers, the likes of which we don't see with most players. Like if a typical guy is a consensus mid-2nd round pick, there might be a few people that really like him and would take him early second round instead. But if Tebow is a consensus mid-2nd round pick, there are likely a few people that really like him and would take him 1st overall instead. The outliers are much bigger outliers than normal. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.There might be 29 teams that have him 60th on their draft boards, but the other 3 teams could have him 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insomniac said:
DoubleG said:
The Patriots biggest problem on defense is the complete inability to generate a pass rush unless they send 6 guys. I think BB would really like to get a OLB who can get to the QB.
This.

From the Walterfootball mock draft :

28. New England Patriots: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

Laurence Maroney isn't a great running back. What the Patriots need is a back with very soft hands (check), outstanding speed in the open field (check), good vision (check), and adequate pass protection skills on third down (check). I think Spiller fits the scheme perfectly and he reminds me of a faster version of Kevin Faulk.

wazoo11 said:
...Tim Tebow. : mellow:It sounds crazy (and rightfully so) but I wouldn't be surprised if BB took Tebow. BB has good connections with Meyer.
Rolando McClain would be ideal if he decides to come out. Would be a great fit with NE and BB is much tighter with CNS. Now, would Rolando be available when NE picks is an entirely different story.

From the Walterfootball mock draft :28. New England Patriots: C.J. Spiller, RB, ClemsonLaurence Maroney isn't a great running back. What the Patriots need is a back with very soft hands (check), outstanding speed in the open field (check), good vision (check), and adequate pass protection skills on third down (check). I think Spiller fits the scheme perfectly and he reminds me of a faster version of Kevin Faulk.
I don't see this happening. They do just fine with their rotation of RB's. I don't see them feeling the need to change here. It's not like this is a run-first team anyway. They'll go with best player available, but that's likely going to be on the defensive side of the ball or perhaps an OL if one drops to them who they really like.

Yeah, because the last time they used a first rounder on a running back that worked out so great. :rolleyes:

They really need some upgrades on both lines.

From the Walterfootball mock draft :28. New England Patriots: C.J. Spiller, RB, ClemsonLaurence Maroney isn't a great running back. What the Patriots need is a back with very soft hands (check), outstanding speed in the open field (check), good vision (check), and adequate pass protection skills on third down (check). I think Spiller fits the scheme perfectly and he reminds me of a faster version of Kevin Faulk.
I don't see this happening. They do just fine with their rotation of RB's. I don't see them feeling the need to change here. It's not like this is a run-first team anyway. They'll go with best player available, but that's likely going to be on the defensive side of the ball or perhaps an OL if one drops to them who they really like.
I don't agree with this. Taylor, Morris, and Faulk all have limited time left in the league. Maroney has a year left on his contract and has had limited success at best. IMO, if they HAD more of a running game (or at least chose to utilize it), they would be a lot more successful on offense. They will neede an infusion of RBs soon . . . whether they invest a high pick on one is another story, but they will definitely will need more bodies in the backfield.

I don't think Spiller will still available by the time they pick, but who knows what will change 4 months from now?

Serenity Now said:
Yeah, because the last time they used a first rounder on a running back that worked out so great. :popcorn:

They really need some upgrades on both lines.
Colts took Donald Brown with Addai on the roster. Patriots have been good at finding QBs and lineman later in the draft. If the Pats want a dual threat QB they will take Dan Lefevour later in the draft.

Their MO lately is to trade their 1st round picks for more picks later. BB feels they get more value that way, more depth.

The Pats have more holes than Swiss cheese and can't afford to blow a pick on a project with no immediate ROI.

For those that missed it, the Pats have interviewed and/or tried out 200-300 college players this offseason. They can't draft all of them.

As outlined in many other threads, I don't see this remotely happening.

With several ex-coaches (Gruden and Dungy) both saying they wouldn't hesitate to draft him 1st overall,
That's a very easy thing to say when your job no longer depends on it.
Exactly. They can say whatever they want, and both guys are top tier coaches with rings who could be coaching. I'll take their opinion over bloggersand 'freelancers' who've never done anything in the NFL.I could see BB trading out of Round 1 for multiple round 2s and nabbing Tebow with his first Round 2. The problem is I doubt he'll be there past 31.

IMO, if the Pats really wanted Tebow the last thing they would be doing is talking him up to the media and having meals with the guy for the whole world to see. I think it's a ploy to get a team that would want him interested in NE's picks for a possible trade.

Left tackle or cornerback.
I would be shocked if they used their 1st on a tackle. Vollmer looked very good last year, they recently extended Kaczur, and Light is still around. There are far more pressing needs at this point.But then again, you never know with the Patriots.

IMO, if the Pats really wanted Tebow the last thing they would be doing is talking him up to the media and having meals with the guy for the whole world to see. I think it's a ploy to get a team that would want him interested in NE's picks for a possible trade.
This makes the most sense to me.

That doesn't make any sense to me. If you think a team is interested in a player, you don't try to trade for their pick...you try to trade for a pick in front of them. Otherwise, if they were truly targeting a player they would be LESS inclined to trade out of that spot. If they were trying to create the impression that they were targeting Tebow, a team that wanted him would assume they would have to jump them in line.Now, if you had said they are trying to convince teams that they are interested in Tebow to entice someone to move in front of them to push a player that they REALLY want down to them...well, that would have made logical sense. Doesn't mean it would be correct but it would make sense.

ChargersOH said:
With several ex-coaches (Gruden and Dungy) both saying they wouldn't hesitate to draft him 1st overall,
That's a very easy thing to say when your job no longer depends on it.
Exactly. They can say whatever they want, and both guys are top tier coaches with rings who could be coaching. I'll take their opinion over bloggersand 'freelancers' who've never done anything in the NFL.I could see BB trading out of Round 1 for multiple round 2s and nabbing Tebow with his first Round 2. The problem is I doubt he'll be there past 31.
They already have a multiple of round 2 picks. Like three of them. If they could land a solid CB, RB or pass rusher with the 22nd pick I'd be happy. I could live with a Jahvid Best or Dez Bryant if I had to.

Uh....not really. Let me get this straight. They're feigning interest in Tebow so other teams will think: "The Patriots want Tebow. Maybe we should trade them for that pick and take him from under their noses!". Just how ridiculous is that thought process? :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread