What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Footballguys Mobile app (1 Viewer)

Simon Shepherd

Footballguy
http://footballguys.com/footballguys-mobile.php

A fantastic new way for subscribers to consume Footballguys content. It's free and will have all our free content in it too for non-subscribers.

This is the very first release and shares the same league data through the Footballguys Cloud as the new Draft Dominator uses.

This application will have a web version which'll hold all the new MyFBG features for before the season. So it's definitely worth getting familiar with it. For now, it is just for iOS and Android.

They'll be a few minor issues with it I'm sure - it's a first ever release - but we'll fix those up as we find them or you guys spot them.

One quick word on Google Play and why we do a direct download instead. Google implement a very strict no gambling policy for Google Play apps. A link to the FFPC or FanDuel, for instance, is construed as gambling. As all our articles are shown in the app, many of which would contravene that policy, for now we are offering a direct download from our website rather than compromise our content. Interested to hear from android users as to whether they mind the direct download or would prefer a stripped-down version that Google wouldn't object too (I know Google ventures has invested in FanDuel, and the FanDuel and DraftKings apps are in google play. They are there as a trial to gambling/DFS apps - we'll put those two facts down to a mere coincidence).

We've lacked a strong mobile app for a while. This app replaces the previous mobile app and the Magazine app, and by the end of the season you'll be able to access virtually every piece of subscriber content using this application.

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome!

been looking forward to this for a long time... one of my go to apps, even the old time style I checked everyday for the news, schedules etc.. 

I see it in the app store for $4.99 ... not free

nvm ... I found it

I don't believe the Android version is in Google's Play Store but is a direct APK download similar to the Fantrax app.

http://footballguys.com/footballguys-mobile.php

A fantastic new way for subscribers to consume Footballguys content. It's free and will have all our free content in it too for non-subscribers.

This is the very first release and shares the same league data through the Footballguys Cloud as the new Draft Dominator uses.

This application will have a web version which'll hold all the new MyFBG features for before the season. So it's definitely worth getting familiar with it. For now, it is just for iOS and Android.

They'll be a few minor issues with it I'm sure - it's a first ever release - but we'll fix those up as we find them or you guys spot them.

One quick word on Google Play and why we do a direct download instead. Google implement a very strict no gambling policy for Google Play apps. A link to the FFPC or FanDuel, for instance, is construed as gambling. As all our articles are shown in the app, many of which would contravene that policy, for now we are offering a direct download from our website rather than compromise our content. Interested to hear from android users as to whether they mind the direct download or would prefer a stripped-down version that Google wouldn't object too (I know Google ventures has invested in FanDuel, and the FanDuel and DraftKings apps are in google play. They are there as a trial to gambling/DFS apps - we'll put those two facts down to a mere coincidence).

We've lacked a strong mobile app for a while. This app replaces the previous mobile app and the Magazine app, and by the end of the season you'll be able to access virtually every piece of subscriber content using this application.
If I'm understanding right, you're offering an app with all the site content within?
Why not just make a "stylin'" mobile verson of footballguys? Ya know the whole browser detect, then go to mobile.footballguys.com or somesuch?

The middle man (Google) seems to be a problem for you and wouldn't that cut them out? I think GooglePlay is going to limit you and you're going to make some refined package(like you said stripped down). 

Quite candidly, I'd rather see your talent (and Dodds and Keith and...) in some fantastic looking mobile site that is totally unrestricted. 

I use Android on phones, tablets, 22" tablets, both small and big TVs. - I hate people (not really, ya know) that don't understand responsive design.

My ultimate goal (from you) would be some jquery detect script telling you what size my screen is and then your pages react to it. I don't want identical for phone and TV. I want to see a developer "play" with all the space a TV can offer him and then I reap the rewards. A phone is tiny, I get it. 

Dodds could be like I got big tablets, Keith you got phones, SImon you got TVs and...let each of you be creative. Us visitors would have three different versions of FBG  based upon our device.

The mainstream people that only have a phone and maybe small tablet-meh, they'll never know

Please feel free to not reply. I just wanted to pass along some ideas and thoughts from "this end." I didn't mean to question your judgement or decisions in anything other than a constructive manner. 

Good luck with it. Whatever you create, I'll probably like

Bri said:
If I'm understanding right, you're offering an app with all the site content within?
Why not just make a "stylin'" mobile verson of footballguys? Ya know the whole browser detect, then go to mobile.footballguys.com or somesuch?

The middle man (Google) seems to be a problem for you and wouldn't that cut them out? I think GooglePlay is going to limit you and you're going to make some refined package(like you said stripped down). 

Quite candidly, I'd rather see your talent (and Dodds and Keith and...) in some fantastic looking mobile site that is totally unrestricted. 

I use Android on phones, tablets, 22" tablets, both small and big TVs. - I hate people (not really, ya know) that don't understand responsive design.

My ultimate goal (from you) would be some jquery detect script telling you what size my screen is and then your pages react to it. I don't want identical for phone and TV. I want to see a developer "play" with all the space a TV can offer him and then I reap the rewards. A phone is tiny, I get it. 

Dodds could be like I got big tablets, Keith you got phones, SImon you got TVs and...let each of you be creative. Us visitors would have three different versions of FBG  based upon our device.

The mainstream people that only have a phone and maybe small tablet-meh, they'll never know

Please feel free to not reply. I just wanted to pass along some ideas and thoughts from "this end." I didn't mean to question your judgement or decisions in anything other than a constructive manner. 

Good luck with it. Whatever you create, I'll probably like
This will definitely be available for mobile safari/chrome too.

apps have the advantage of working offline too and getting the full screen.

personally I disagree on the second point. I don't think people should have a completely different experience across devices. At times FBG has been difficult to use; were trying to fix that and a consistent experience is part of that solution. That said I fully get that it needs to be responsive and adapt to screen size. But responsive design isn't about changing the experience from device to device, and it's not about splitting down design into "blocks" of devices like TVs etc. It's about making best use of whatever width, height and other features (e.g. touch screen vs keyboard/mouse) are avaiable. That way it always displays best.

Looks like another great feature for my football guys subscription. Will the My FBG team link with CBSsports, MyFantasy, etc. be active with the app after the upgrades for that feature are complete?  Thanks.

If I open the app on my android phone, let it finish loading all data but do nothing else, I should be able to hit the "back" button and it should close. Even a double tap should work. It does not. I have to go to my task manager and force it to close. This seems not right.

Ditto the request to be able to jump into the forums from the app. That is what the former low bandwidth mobile app could do. Why not this one?

Ruffrodys05 said:
If I open the app on my android phone, let it finish loading all data but do nothing else, I should be able to hit the "back" button and it should close. Even a double tap should work. It does not. I have to go to my task manager and force it to close. This seems not right.

Ditto the request to be able to jump into the forums from the app. That is what the former low bandwidth mobile app could do. Why not this one?
I have the same problem with my android phone but I have to restart my phone to get out of the app. Won't be using the app untilthis is fixed

Ruffrodys05 said:

Thanks, we'll get that fixed.

No plans to add a forum link for now. I think chrome bookmarks do a better job of us finding a place for that link somewhere in the navigation, which we're doing our best to keep as concise as possible. The focus for this app is subscriber content. I know iOS it would be easier to add a home screen link to the forums. I'm less familiar with android alternatives so still open to hearing why a link in the app would be an upgrade on other options there.

I can see that the app has promise, but my Initial feedback is:

1. the font is too small and a little hard to read.   (i even tried to expand the daily email write up and you can't "expand it" with your fingers like an email or website)
  2. Personalized Rankings:  Do we really need a Photo of the player on the far left?    (i'd rather you 86' it and can get more columns of data on my phone to see)
  3. When i clicked on NFL TEAMS....i only see the AFC EAST and AFC NORTH........maybe it's just me but it won't let me scroll down to the AFC SOUTH and below for some reason

Users who are viewing this thread