What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New Orleans at Atlanta*** (+5.5) (44) (1 Viewer)

NO was a strong candidate for the playoffs but didn’t look consistent enough.
One thing Saints fans can take solace in:

This game was essentially the pre-season tune-up for many New Orleans starters. A bunch of guys hadn't played together at all until today. Still 16 games to go, and the Saints pulled off a luck-out W. Gotta take that -- I thought the Saints would be good this season, but I knew it wouldn't be 17 blowouts.

Atlanta was ahead 26-10?

if I owned this team...I'm just saying I might come down out of the booth and explicitly instruct the coaches to continue whatever got them to 26-10, 28-3...just saying

Not sure what they changed, though.
I had to listen to most of the first three quarters on the radio. I'll check the Youtube game summary tomorrow but for now:

One of the Saintsreport theories is that Winston turned to Superman once they kept him in the shotgun at all times. That he struggled with his dropbacks and timing when under center. Sounds reasonable, but I can't say just yet.

EDIT: Also being said was that it wasn't simply going to shotgun, but also going to 4-wide shotgun to make Atlanta pay for going with a heavy box on defense (8+ defenders). Also helped our weak links on the O-line (new LT Hurst and disappointing RG Ruiz) not have to hold their blocks so long.

EDIT2: From SR.com -- "[Saints' center] Erik McCoy was the game MVP for calling protection in the second half. It’s a team game, whatever works do that. Jameis is not an expert in o line protection. That’s fine, he will never earn top dollar as a QB. He just needs a good supporting cast to take advantage of his arm talent."

That was actually a thing last year. Drew Brees usually called the pass protection to the line. Winston was struggling with it last season, so Eric McCoy just took over those calls. For better or worse, it might be that Winston is not yet on point with IDing the specific defensive rush opponents are coming with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread